Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

It certainly wouldn't belong in his top-5 performances, but I think to say he was terrible is a major exaggeration. What was wrong with it? The accent was fine.

I hate American actors trying on accents because they inevitably end up like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I never saw Blood Diamond but it doesn't help that the trailer prominently features him trying to wrap his South African accent around one of the worst lines in cinematic history.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Human Tornada posted:

Gangs of New York is a little frustrating because it's a good movie that has a great movie hidden somewhere inside of it. IMO if it were edited down by about a half-hour it could be considered top-tier Scorsese.

I think Ebert wrote that he wished the movie focused on Neeson and Lewis characters and ended with the fight at the beginning which I totally agree with. It is still one of my favorite movies though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think people have largely forgotten The Basketball Diaries as an artifact of the 90s, which is a shame because it's so good. Think I'll watch it today.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I think DiCaprio's pretty over-rated. Even movies where he's great, I like the other actors more.

I agree with Django and Catch Me If You Can are great roles. I thought his performance in The Revenant was great, one of the best in his careers, but I was still more impressed with Tom Hardy. He's also great in The Wolf of Wall Street, but I was more impressed with Jonah Hill than DiCaprio.

Shutter Island really lowered DiCaprio's appeal to me. I really can't stand him in that role, despite liking the idea of the story.

I have this weird area in my brain where if it's a DiCaprio movie, I assume it's decent, but I really don't care to see it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I think the scripts are mostly to blame for Leo's mediocrity in The Departed and especially Gangs of New York. They both are very thin as far as establishing him as a fully formed character, especially compared to his more character focused Scorsese films like Wolf of Wall Street or The Aviator.

The villains are given much more room to breath in both The Departed and Gangs of New York than any of the protagonists, and in both cases they're played by acting legends. Really I think its more of a credit to DiCaprio as an actor more than a criticism, because he could have easily shied away from playing second fiddle to the likes of DDL and Jack Nicholson.

What I don't understand about Gangs is how Leo's character suddenly becomes this crazy respected gang leader who is able to unite all of the other rival gangs as one against Bill. There's the scene where he meets with Boss Tweed and brags about how he can unite all of the Irish votes himself. How was he able to achieve this level of authority seemingly overnight? All I recall is he hung the dead rabbit up in the town square and reunited with some of the gang members he was palling around with before, then all of a sudden he's a huge force.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I can't get the "Damned Mab!" scene out of my head when thinking of Leo in GNY. What a clunky moment. He becomes respected seemingly overnight because now he's the son of Priest Vallon, the Irishman who united all other Irishmen in their cause to live freely on a foreign land, instead of some traitorous Irish henchman. Nobody really knew about him until The Butcher revealed his identity and the word got out. So yeah. The movie really does speed through all of these moments despite being nearly 3 hours long.

edit: Diaz carried her role pretty well. She was hammy in the beginning with Leo, but over the course of the movie, she got better. She has issues, and is given agency. I also liked the ending because when the government steps in, it felt like the whole struggle between the "Natives" and "immigrants" was made pointless. However, I think maybe it could have been made more tragic if Diaz's character died. What do you think?

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 23, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

I also liked the ending because when the government steps in, it felt like the whole struggle between the "Natives" and immigrants" was made pointless

yeah I like how the ending is just the entire conflict being rendered insignificant by the sweep of history. Leo doesn't even get to kill Bill the Butcher; the shrapnel kills him, Leo just finishes him off

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

Shutter Island really lowered DiCaprio's appeal to me. I really can't stand him in that role, despite liking the idea of the story.

When my dad saw this movie he told me he was impressed with his performance because he had a younger brother that had schizophrenia and he said that the smaller mannerisms he had in this movie were spot on to someone suffering from it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alterian posted:

When my dad saw this movie he told me he was impressed with his performance because he had a younger brother that had schizophrenia and he said that the smaller mannerisms he had in this movie were spot on to someone suffering from it.

That may be true, and is interesting, but I can't even stand his accent/speech/dialogue.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Yeah the memory I have of Leo in shutter island is a man in constant physical pain, not psychological dysfunction

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Yeah the memory I have of Leo in shutter island is a man in constant physical pain, not psychological dysfunction

And very sweaty.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gilbert Grape, This Boy's Life and Basketball Diaries for me. The Beach and Romeo + Juliet were sorta the end of his effectiveness as an actor for me.

Quick and the Dead too. He had a very promising start and I don't really think it went awry until after Catch Me If You Can.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I never saw Blood Diamond but it doesn't help that the trailer prominently features him trying to wrap his South African accent around one of the worst lines in cinematic history.

I'm guessing you mean the "bling bling, bang bang" line. Yeah, it's no better in context either, but his accent isn't that bad for the rest of the movie. It's worth a watch and one of the better "Africa is hosed" social conscience movies of the last couple decades.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

DeimosRising posted:

Quick and the Dead too. He had a very promising start and I don't really think it went awry until after Catch Me If You Can.

I don't really think you can say anything about Leo's career is 'awry'. You might not like his performances or movie choices but critics and the public strongly disagree with you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm guessing you mean the "bling bling, bang bang" line. Yeah, it's no better in context either, but his accent isn't that bad for the rest of the movie. It's worth a watch and one of the better "Africa is hosed" social conscience movies of the last couple decades.

this is probably not fair to the movie but I feel like knowing it's an Edward Zwick movie about Sierra Leone tells me everything I need to know about it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
re: Leo DiCaprio flicks I loving love The Beach not because it's any good but rather because of Tilda Swinson. I find her strangely attractive. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasure movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Sweaty Betty on Netflix is really out of nowhere and a loving dope documentary/anti-art.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Iron Crowned posted:

I just finished watching "Last Knights," although Netflix listed it as two stars, I found it to be an enjoyable no-magic fantasy film.

It's not a great film by any means, but it looks fantastic, and there's some great costuming and sets. Plus, it was cool to see a movie about knights fighting other with swords.
I watched it and I agree with everything about the "fantastic" and "great" words. I think there was a Nicolas Cage swords and sorcery film which was as bad or worse (or maybe it was the same one, lovely swords and sorcery runs together for me) version of the same thing.

There are some great movies which recently poped up on netflix though.. If you haven't seen Cardboard Boxer with Thomas Hayden Church (my favorite "Magical Janitor" from the nobody-saw-it 90s sitcom show Bston Commons) I'd recommend it. It's gritty and has a satisfying ending.

There's also a whole truckload of "Bruce Willis is a near-retirement secret agent so someone else does the action scenes" spy movies which came up recently, which led to me watching "The Double" with Richard Gere - I could swear I saw this movie before but I do not remember it at all.. I guess it was just too similar to a thousand others?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.
...Tiger House?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.

You're Next is a sort-of Die Hard in a cabin movie with a heroine

according to this list of 50 Die Hard-esque movies, Safe Room with Jodie Foster counts:

http://www.gamesradar.com/50-action-movies-inspired-by-die-hard/

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

re: Leo DiCaprio flicks I loving love The Beach not because it's any good but rather because of Tilda Swinson. I find her strangely attractive. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasure movies.

Nothing wrong with that, particularly in that movie.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

I j/o'd to the Beach when I was like 15. True story.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Not to detract from the DiCapriation Station, but back to Lemony Snickett for a second.

I CAN NOT get into it simply because it's almost exactly like the movie with Jim Carey, at least in appearance, narration, acting, music, set design, costumes, and everything EXCEPT the additional details around the actual story. It's VERY hard to stay engaged when I'm constantly thinking, "yeah, oh I remember this part from that other movie exactly like this one."

I'm sure it's amazing, and NPH really embraces/channels Jim Carey embracing/channeling Count Olaf.

OR, sure, I'll admit it's possible that the book provides such detailed descriptions that to deviate from the original movie would take away from the book.

Okay. Whine finished.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How much have you watched? Because it diverges from the books and movie by The Reptile Room.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It's too depressing for me man

I get that it's objectively well done but the jokes are not funny enough to offset the depressing stuff

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

I get that it's objectively well done but the jokes are not funny enough to offset the depressing stuff

I find this interesting, because they reveal in the first episode that the parents are actually alive and appear in every episode, which is a pretty big secret through-out the series, and the only reason I can think they did this was to off-set the depressing tone (and add some more cohesion).

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Franchescanado posted:

I find this interesting, because they reveal in the first episode that the parents are actually alive and appear in every episode, which is a pretty big secret through-out the series, and the only reason I can think they did this was to off-set the depressing tone (and add some more cohesion).

Uh, you should probably finish season 1. The show is not joking when it says there is no happy ending.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

I find this interesting, because they reveal in the first episode

Um... Double-spoiler, I guess?

That's not actually their parents. It's a gag near the end of the series that Will Arnett and Colby Smulders are actually the parents of three other children. I mean, the plot point you mentioned from the book will probably wrap back in to the series at some point, but it hasn't yet.

A MIRACLE posted:

This really surprises me. I get that dark humor isn't for everyone, but I had to give up on Lemony Snicket as my workout show because I was just laughing too drat hard on the treadmill. I laugh even at the throwaway stuff, like a shop in the background for Memento Morris.

Sarchasm fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2017

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ohhh, that's the Quagmire Triplets Parents.

Good call, I have a few eps left. My bad, guys.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Franchescanado posted:

Good call, I have a few eps left. My bad, guys.

How dare you not watch all of a thing immediately as soon as it's available. Don't you know how streaming works?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Honestly if you aren't regularly calling out sick from work to binge the latest shows within 24 hours of release, don't even bother posting.

I loved the dark tone of Unfortunate Events personally. The humor was just enough to keep it light. I think it's much more suited to long form television than movies. NPH was fantastic as count olaf, and pretty much all of the supporting characters were great. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Has anyone else here watched "Spotless" it's a pretty cool show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

Honestly if you aren't regularly calling out sick from work to binge the latest shows within 24 hours of release, don't even bother posting.

I loved the dark tone of Unfortunate Events personally. The humor was just enough to keep it light. I think it's much more suited to long form television than movies. NPH was fantastic as count olaf, and pretty much all of the supporting characters were great. I'm really looking forward to season 2.

What's weird is that it looks like they're doing the whole story in three seasons, probably with some "breaks" thrown in.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

'The Guest' was very good and expires at midnight tonight

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Good movie and check it out if you liked It Follows

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Here's a list of what's coming to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime in February.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 26, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

A MIRACLE posted:

Good movie and check it out if you liked It Follows

I really dig Maika Monroe in both movies, and I'll confess that I really liked her in ID4: Resurgence.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for some good stand-up, I thought Neal Brennan: 3 mics was pretty great. It's an unusual show for sure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Seeing Men In Black II on the list for what's coming to HBO makes me wonder if the good MIB movies (you know, the ones that aren't 2) are available anywhere. I know the first was on Netflix a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rough Lobster posted:

I really dig Maika Monroe in both movies, and I'll confess that I really liked her in ID4: Resurgence.

She's literally the only reason I half want to watch ID4. She's got some major potential and I loved both It Follows and The Guest.