Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

I am really ready for free agency to get here so I can get an idea of what the Eagles are gonna do going into the draft and consider how much I should jump on the Corey Davis hype train. Word is, acquiring WRs & building the offense around Wentz is the #1 priority this offseason.

I hope they can address WR in free agency so they can go CB heavy in the draft.

I can walk to the draft this year :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/824275350930784259

We coming for you Antonio...

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

What would Pittsburgh even want in a trade for Antonio Brown? They would be stupid to cut or trade him for nothing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

a new study bible! posted:

What would Pittsburgh even want in a trade for Antonio Brown? They would be stupid to cut or trade him for nothing.

Are we really taking Mike Florio's speculation about the Steelers trading Antonio Brown seriously

Is that where we're at right now

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That's what I was getting at. Pittsburgh would be retarded to move Brown.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

To be fair though anything is better than talking about another Patriots superbowl.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

To be fair though anything is better than talking about another Patriots superbowl.

Fair enough. If we're going that route, Brown has 1 year left on his contract, which has a base salary of just over $4M. His restructuring bonus, which the Steelers would have to eat, puts another $8.9M against the cap for him next season, and would be dead money if he were cut. Any trade for Brown will likely include a new contract. He doesn't save space if cut, but the Steelers don't need space either.

This is quick spitballing/back-of-the-napkin math, but given where Brown is at in his career, as possibly the best WR in the league (or top 3, easily), he'd probably fetch a 1st and a 3rd round pick from an interested team. His next contract will probably end up being a 5-year deal worth $14M per year, on average, given his age (29 next year).

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Steelers are the team that shipped a Super Bowl MVP out for a 5th round pick because he smoked weed.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

The Steelers are the team that shipped a Super Bowl MVP out for a 5th round pick because he smoked weed.

If it were any other team, I'd be laughing really hard. However, being that it's the Steelers, while I'm still very doubtful, I do entertain the possibility.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Considering the lost playtime due to the long length of suspensions this isn't a dumb thing to do.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

I'd point out that, historically, the Steelers have been very good about not trading away or letting leave players who go on to be amazing on other teams. If the Steelers are willing to part with someone, chances are they know something you don't, and you should stay away.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Fair enough. If we're going that route, Brown has 1 year left on his contract, which has a base salary of just over $4M. His restructuring bonus, which the Steelers would have to eat, puts another $8.9M against the cap for him next season, and would be dead money if he were cut. Any trade for Brown will likely include a new contract. He doesn't save space if cut, but the Steelers don't need space either.

This is quick spitballing/back-of-the-napkin math, but given where Brown is at in his career, as possibly the best WR in the league (or top 3, easily), he'd probably fetch a 1st and a 3rd round pick from an interested team. His next contract will probably end up being a 5-year deal worth $14M per year, on average, given his age (29 next year).

If the Steelers trade him and don't get whatever the Falcons paid for Jones + a little more because he's a known quantity, then it's highway robbery.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

If the Steelers trade him and don't get whatever the Falcons paid for Jones + a little more because he's a known quantity, then it's highway robbery.

Totally disagree--Bryant is coming to the end of his prime and is on the last year of his contract. He's either going to need a big, new contract, or be a one-year rental. Meanwhile, Julio Jones was taken in the first year of the new CBA, and as such got paid almost nothing as part of his guaranteed rookie deal. Paying two firsts for a guy is a lot more palatable if it doesn't also take away a huge chunk of cap space.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Steelers aren't trading Brown. They know that Ben might be retired in the next 3 years and aren't going to throw away a chance at another super bowl

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Sam Bradford turning into Antonio Brown would be hilarious, though.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
The Eagles won't have the cap room to pay Brown if they are already paying Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

The Eagles won't have the cap room to pay Brown if they are already paying Alshon Jeffery and DeSean Jackson.

if you had Bryant and Jeffery, you wouldn't want Jackson anyways

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i hope the Eagles overpay a Desean Jackson who will very soon lose his deep threat ability

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

corn on the cop posted:

i hope the Eagles overpay a Desean Jackson who will very soon lose his deep threat ability

They can transition him into WR coach after Groh gets promoted in a few years.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

TheChirurgeon posted:

if you had Bryant and Jeffery, you wouldn't want Jackson anyways

Why do you keep saying Bryant?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

CyberPingu posted:

Why do you keep saying Bryant?

derp, brain fart. Meant "Brown," thanks for pointing out

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

corn on the cop posted:

It's gonna happen.

I get that receivers are bad, but DJAX isn't the answer.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Desean Jackson is still a Good Receiver and can help a team.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

It's gonna happen.

No, Allen Iverson is the Answer.

DeSean Jackson is the other small tattoo'd athlete that many white sports fans in Philly love to hate.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

It's gonna happen.

I mean he did have a 1k yd season last year...I think even as a stop gap he would be pretty good. Since there's little to no chance the steelers get rid of Brown I'm hoping for Jeffrey and Jackson

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Jeffrey AND Jackson would be sick. DeSean's age be damned.

I mean, sounds like that Brandon Marshall guy is gonna be out there, too..

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

89 posted:

Jeffrey AND Jackson would be sick. DeSean's age be damned.

I mean, sounds like that Brandon Marshall guy is gonna be out there, too..

He can be the go between to DeSeans imaginary gang ties

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I, for one, do sincerely hope the DeSean Jackson returns to play the game of American football with the Philadelphia Eagles football of the NFC East Division of the National Football Conference

because I have an old DeSean Jackson Eagles jersey and I think I could finally sell it for more than peanuts.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Haha if the Eagles' WR corps next year was Jeffrey, Jackson, Marshall, and Jordan Matthews :lol:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

aBagorn posted:

Haha if the Eagles' WR corps next year was Jeffrey, Jackson, Marshall, and Jordan Matthews :lol:

...they'll have spent money literally nowhere else?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Then they draft Dalvin Cook on top of it :smuggo:

Who needs a secondary with that offense? 😎

Everything I keep reading seems to be reallly leaning at a completely reformed offense for Wentz next year. Matthews and Ertz will probably be the only ones starting from last year.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

...they'll have spent money literally nowhere else?

That's why I'd be :lol: ing, yes.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
We'll get 2 new outside starting receivers in free agency. Anything more will be a cheap old vet or a depth pick. Sounds like Howie isn't too high on the idea of using the first round pick on a receiver.

quote:

Howie Roseman was asked about drafting wide receivers at the Senior Bowl this week, and he offered a cautionary tale for anyone expecting a rookie to come in and transform the position.

“The way offenses are in college football and the way defenses are run, I mean, there’s not a lot of press coverage. It’s a matchup-drive league in college football. Typically, if your best receiver is on their third-best corner, that third corner is probably not playing in the National Football League,” Roseman said. “The quality of competition matters for the receivers. The different coverages, the routes, the quality of competition, it’s a whole different ballgame in the NFL.

“And I think if you take out the 2014 wide receiver class and you look at this, it's really been historically a tough position to acclimate in the National Football League," Roseman said. "It hasn't been a plug-and-play position. And I think that class changed everyone's thoughts a little bit, but the reality is we have years of data that says that it’s a hard position to come to the National Football League and contribute. It's a developmental position, and you've got to look at it when you're drafting guys from that perspective."

The 2014 class that included Matthews (67 receptions, 872 yards, 8 touchdowns as a rookie) also featured receivers like Odell Beckham, Jr. (Giants, 91-1,305-12), Mike Evans (Bucs, 68-1,051-12), Sammy Watkins (65-982-6), and Jarvis Landry (Dolphins, 84 receptions). That group came into the league and had instant success. That has not, historically, been the case.

So if the Eagles are looking for an instant upgrade, do they dip into a still-to-be-determined free-agent market? Do they look for receivers who might be available via trade? Do they use a draft pick or two and count on Groh and the coaching staff to develop the rookie(s) quickly?
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/dave-spadaro/article-1/WR-Picture-And-How-To-Improve-There/19602193-53fd-495d-bf16-5c57759601b8

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

89 posted:

Sounds like Howie isn't too high on the idea of using the first round pick on a receiver.

I'm fine with that

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

89 posted:

We'll get 2 new outside starting receivers in free agency.

We got that last year: Rueben Randall and Chris Givens.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Come onnnnnnnnn Free Agencyyyyyyyy

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

quote:

PhillySportsNetwork
@PhiladelphiaSN
Report: Eagles approach Jason Peters regarding a potential pay cut https://t.co/9a48D2BdOu

2/7/2017, 9:22:03 PM

How do you guys get the Twitter copy & paste formatting on here?

Also, DeAngelo Williams thinks the idea of him going to Philly is hilarious.

quote:

Hahahaha u guys have a collection of backs just don't want to commit to the run u want the qb to do to much https://t.co/6ifKsr942J

— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) February 7, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

89 posted:

How do you guys get the Twitter copy & paste formatting on here?

Also, DeAngelo Williams thinks the idea of him going to Philly is hilarious.

Copy link to tweet option.

https://twitter.com/DeAngeloRB/status/829092024775237634

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He's not necessarily wrong, but he'd be RB1 right away. The collection of backs was largely because Ryan Mathews is made of glass

edit: Eagles had more rushing attempts than the Steelers did last season by amount and percentage. All but 11 of the 438 were RB touches.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-rushing-play-percentage/2016/

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
It's too bad Ryan Mathews couldn't stay on the field. When he was on there, dude was a beast. Tried to do his impersonation of Marshawn Lynch every time he ran the ball. Dude's body is just done. He'll be cut for sure in a few weeks. Dude has my respect.

• Locked thread