Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
But of course we get the standard... "We can't tell [character] the obviously harmful decision we just made that could easily effect them too, because it will hurt their feelings and make them crazy. Lying is the best course of action!"

Rocksicles posted:

Iris... killing the wardrobe yet again.

Gawd drat right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Aphrodite posted:

Barry's thing was that if Iris knew she'd try to help him and get hurt.

But she tried to help the Flash regardless so it didn't matter.

17 episodes later he realized this and told her.

Barry wanted to tell her from the off. It was Joe who was against telling her. And against her becoming a cop. And was really an over protective dad to her in general. An edict he made Barry swear off on. Barry didn't want to tell other people other things, but he did want to tell Iris he was the Flash.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

bull3964 posted:

That's one striking difference when comparing the MCU and DCI is secret identities just aren't a thing with the MCU and I think it sidesteps a lot of unnecessary drama.

The only exception is likely going to be Spider-Man since that's in the MCU now.

I never understood the whole "Letting my loved ones know who I am puts them at risk" thing. No, your enemies knowing who you are puts them at risk. You giving them a heads up could help them if an enemy finds out. Not telling them is selfish.

Fortunately, we seem to be past that now for the DC shows.

I think this is a bigger issue between movies and TV than it is between Marvel and DC. Secret identities just seem like an easy way to manufacture ongoing drama in a long-form serial format. Daredevil in particular had a ton of it, with him initially hiding his identity (spoilers in case anyone hasn't watched DD) from Foggy, which led to an episode long blowup, and then only revealing to Karen at the end of season 2. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were more about hiding from their enemies and their pasts tho, but DD was pretty heavy with it; I haven't watched the non-Netflix stuff to comment on those.

They do seem to still have secret identities in the DCU with Batman and Superman having civilian identities, but it's not used in the cheesy "gotta make a lame excuse to my girlfriend which upsets her while I go stop a bank robbery" way, it's just kind of a classic thing about the characters.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
When I mentioned the Music Meister and mentioned the 6 figure book deal, my friend's response was, "well, yeah. The Music Meister already had an existing fanbase of Starkids."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

bull3964 posted:

I never understood the whole "Letting my loved ones know who I am puts them at risk" thing. No, your enemies knowing who you are puts them at risk. You giving them a heads up could help them if an enemy finds out. Not telling them is selfish.
It's a story telling remnant of the past, particularly done with love interests. Unless your main enemy is a telepath, there's no good reason to hide that information from loved ones.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The DC movies barely have secret identities. Lois found out who Superman was and really the new Clark persona is created after - during the majority of MoS he's just... himself. BvS had Luthor knowing Batman and Superman from the get go. Secret identities are just old hat for most properties now.

So are they going with the idea that the future resists change but the past is open game? Barry's hosed time three ways from Sunday many times now, but suddenly he's all "can we change the future I dunno". It's kind of a weird idea because the future is the past from someone else's point of view but Barry's struggling to know if he can avert this disaster despite manhandling time a few times and being friends with professional time-fuckers. Like, the fact that the byline had changed should be proof enough that the future CAN be altered because that's always been his distant future. If anything Savitar showing up to murder Iris is already proof it can be done. Or Eddie offing himself. All of those results were a vague distant future being averted.

The show just continues to highlight how much of an idiot Barry really is. Instead of coming back from the future and being all "okay Team looks like our plan to lose the rock in the speed force failed and Savitar murders Iris let's fix this poo poo" he hides it for two months and cries himself to sleep every night.

Still a good episode.

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I like how they are assuming their stupid plan of changing certain events will save Iris. Good thing the news ticker didn't show the stock market values or sports scores.

"Barry you have to change who wins march madness."

HR: "You can change the future, but you have to be very careful which domino you alter.."

Team Flash: "How 'bout, like, whatever random ones popped up on that news report?"

HR: "Yeah that's exactly what I meant."

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I feel kinda bad for HR and his failed grand opening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or was Iris way over-dressed for a party that was just their close friends?

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
So the solution to save Iris is obviously to tell joe right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

muscles like this! posted:

Is it just me or was Iris way over-dressed for a party that was just their close friends?

I don't care and I'm guessing the majority of the thread doesn't either.

Hubba hubba.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also once again Wally actin' like Wally. Putting his own suit on Barry's mannequin without even hesitating and peace out-ing before anyone could object.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last 4 episodes or so, Wally has been more and more enjoyable. A shame his mask doesn't fit so well.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The last 4 episodes or so, Wally has been more and more enjoyable. A shame his mask doesn't fit so well.

Hair-exposing headpiece/masks might just be a thing live-action will never fully pull off.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yannick_B posted:

Hair-exposing headpiece/masks might just be a thing live-action will never fully pull off.

The ones covering hair don't seem much better to me, tbh. There's a reason every Captain America movie creates a reason for him to pull off that stupid mask as soon as the plot justifies.

Domino masks look cool, though. Arrow costumes are pretty good in general.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xealot posted:

The ones covering hair don't seem much better to me, tbh. There's a reason every Captain America movie creates a reason for him to pull off that stupid mask as soon as the plot justifies.

Cap's mask in TWS looks great as it's more of a helmet anyways. Batfleck's cowl also looks fantastic.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tessiebee posted:

I feel kinda bad for HR and his failed grand opening.

What the gently caress is even in that museum?

STAR Lab Museum exhibits
  • The Construction of the Particle Accelerator
  • The Particle Accelerator Explosion
  • The People Who Died in the Explosion
  • The Horrifying Monsters Created by the Explosion
  • The Revelation That STAR Labs Was Founded by a Murderer
  • The Renovation of STAR Labs into a Museum

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

STAR Lab Museum exhibits

Kids get to feed a captive MetaCriminal a Big Belly Burger.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

No you see they need the museum to explain how they are still operational. As opposed to that not being an issue ever or just telling everyone they got a grant from someone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They explained it in the episode, HR was feeling kind of useless so he created a project to make himself seem important.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Guy Goodbody posted:

STAR Lab Museum exhibits

Floor 2:
  • Barry Allen Time Criminal
  • Illegal Metahuman Detention Facilities
  • Transdimensional Kidnapping
  • How Barry Allen Brought an Alien Invasion that Killed the POTUS and We All Forgot About It
  • Donald J. Trump, An Erotic Life
  • The Giant Wormhole that Nearly Destroyed Central City
  • Frozen Body Exhibit, Presented by Dr. Snow

Atarask fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 26, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Guy Goodbody posted:

STAR Lab Museum exhibits

Probably a Flash section that becomes the most popular part leading to it being converted into the Flash museum.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
They have villains pop in and out so often, they might as well deliver pizzas.

Civvies should be fine.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

They explained it in the episode, HR was feeling kind of useless so he created a project to make himself seem important.

He should've picked a project that wasn't a museum to a horrible industrial accident

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Guy Goodbody posted:

He should've picked a project that wasn't a museum to a horrible industrial accident

I dunno. If they ever open Pripyat, people will go in droves. Famous accidents are a bit of their own tourist boon.

I really liked this episode. Beyond just wrapping up a lot of drama smoothly, it felt like they did a really good job of showing there's actual stakes this season beyond ~*woo world ending doom*~. The whole scene with the future vibe really set up some tension and showed a lot of crazy, important poo poo is happening beyond just Barry's personal war with Savitar.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
I keep waiting for iris to make a fastest man alive joke when they are in bed

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Xealot posted:

Also because the studio is paying top dollar for that actor anyways so they're not going to waste potential face time by having them hidden behind a mask.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously I really hope we get a post-Crisis season or two with "My name is Wally West, and I am the fastest man alive."

RedDevil
Jul 29, 2006

SHO NUFF
I've always wondered if Barry brings his powers into the bed with Iris. :flashfap:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

RedDevil posted:

I've always wondered if Barry brings his powers into the bed with Iris. :flashfap:

He went all vibratey with Linda Park, so to not do the same and more for Iris would be somewhat counterintuitive.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Spergatory posted:

He went all vibratey with Linda Park, so to not do the same and more for Iris would be somewhat counterintuitive.

Wasn't that involuntary though?

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

He was still new to the whole speed thing. I assumed that he'd figured it out by now, but then this Barry we're talking about.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I liked how they used HR on the rooftop as evidence that they could change the future.

What about the possibility that Barry just didn't notice a guy in dark clothes on a far off roof top because he was watching his girlfriend get murdered?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how Barry didn't realize HR had the gun he just stole off the bad guy.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
To barry that happened years ago in relative time. It is amazing he can remember anything, he should be a vegetable tbqh from all the boredom

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Why didn't HR take the shot was my question? I assumed we'd see him take the shot then it would plink of Savitar who would just laugh and kill Iris anyway. Instead he just took aim then was like "nahh, futures not changed enough, maybe on the next loop-through".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy A. Person posted:

Why didn't HR take the shot was my question? I assumed we'd see him take the shot then it would plink of Savitar who would just laugh and kill Iris anyway. Instead he just took aim then was like "nahh, futures not changed enough, maybe on the next loop-through".

Nah, what'll happen is H.R. will try to think of how to make himself useful and contribute to the future-changing scheme and conclude, "I know! Barry saw Savitar kill Iris, so if I take this rifle and I kill Iris instead... What a swerve!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They need to change the next headline to enable his trigger finger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if HR does shoot Iris? It would startle Savitar and give Barry the opening he needs to get her away and a gunshot is less lethal than a giant claw through the torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The logical assumption is that that HR didn't believe in himself enough after the collapse of his museum.

• Locked thread