Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Who only likes grapes and strawberries anyways? I just buy produce based on what's in season and cheap at the moment and can't imagine being all 'I only eat these two fruits and 2 vegetables and refuse to buy anything else".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What was that terribly depressing forum about people married to Aspies?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

What was that terribly depressing forum about people married to Aspies?

reddit

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Who only likes grapes and strawberries anyways? I just buy produce based on what's in season and cheap at the moment and can't imagine being all 'I only eat these two fruits and 2 vegetables and refuse to buy anything else".

Maybe it was just an example; strawberries n grapes are usually the more expensive things at my local store.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe it was just an example; strawberries n grapes are usually the more expensive things at my local store.

Yeah, they're way more expensive when they are out of season and generally everybody likes them all the time so it was probably the thing she thought of immediately, since it's probably the thing she gets turned down on every time they go grocery shopping

It's just incredible that a couple who probably have a million dollars in savings are getting into fights over a 3 dollar carton of strawberries

Just imagining him going on a spiel about smart shopping, his girlfriend looking really hurt, and then putting back the strawberries feeling dejected, at the end of a workday where she made close to $400

Either one of them earns their entire grocery budget for a month in less than a half of a day's work, it's insane that they're even bargain hunting at this point, when your time is worth $50+ an hour why spend time clipping coupons? That's idiotic.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 25, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

They're cheap when they're in season which is when i get them. Granted I would never be "babe you can't buy strawberries they're expensive right now" but I also can't imagine needing to have strawberries year round either so the whole situation just seems dumb to me. Pretty much all fruit is good, enjoy it when it's freshest in season and coincidentally it's also the cheapest, everyone wins and you also get to build traditions to look forwards to, like feasting on clementines around christmas.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:murder: AND ALLOW THE CAT TO FEED

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

You got me, you cheeky oval office.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, they're way more expensive when they are out of season and generally everybody likes them all the time so it was probably the thing she thought of immediately, since it's probably the thing she gets turned down on every time they go grocery shopping

It's just incredible that a couple who probably have a million dollars in savings are getting into fights over a 3 dollar carton of strawberries

from her own words " If they are not on sale I have to buy something else, which I generally don't because I like strawberries and grapes the best."

She straight up doesn't eat fruit unless it's strawberries and grapes haha, calm down ceasar there's a world of deliciousness out there.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

from her own words " If they are not on sale I have to buy something else, which I generally don't because I like strawberries and grapes the best."

She straight up doesn't eat fruit unless it's strawberries and grapes haha, calm down ceasar there's a world of deliciousness out there.

Yeah, OK, it's a little juvenile, but she makes just shy of a six figure salary, pretty sure she's safe to eat whatever fruit she likes

If I made 90k/yr you'd better believe I'd have ten pounds of plums in my fridge even when they're $3.99 a pound

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

:murder: AND ALLOW THE CAT TO FEED

That woman should be holding her cat one day and just push her dumbshit husband out the window while laughing. :boom:

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, OK, it's a little juvenile, but she makes just shy of a six figure salary, pretty sure she's safe to eat whatever fruit she likes

If I made 90k/yr you'd better believe I'd have ten pounds of plums in my fridge even when they're $3.99 a pound

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

And cost us $7.00
at the grocery
this week

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Mirthless posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's actually appropriate for the hubby to be all "no hon you can't have grapes and strawberries right now they're not in season" but come on just do the environment a favor and eat seasonally by default anyways it shouldn't be a huge sacrifice.

Basically I think they're both dumb dumbs

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Never underestimate the ability of people to overlook the point in order to pat themselves on the back

Congrats on eating stuff, guys

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

They're cheap when they're in season which is when i get them. Granted I would never be "babe you can't buy strawberries they're expensive right now" but I also can't imagine needing to have strawberries year round either so the whole situation just seems dumb to me. Pretty much all fruit is good, enjoy it when it's freshest in season and coincidentally it's also the cheapest, everyone wins and you also get to build traditions to look forwards to, like feasting on clementines around christmas.

I mean yeah but sometimes I just want some grapes man.

I think the point is more that he allows her to get them but only when they are on sale like they are making $30k/yr between them or something which is pretty unreasonable on his part.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Never underestimate the ability of people to overlook the point in order to pat themselves on the back

Congrats on eating stuff, guys

loving lmao

ArbitraryC posted:

She's not dumb at all and you're dumb for thinking she is.

THEY MAKE $180,000 A YEAR, SHE CAN AFFORD THE loving FRUIT!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

She can buy whatever goddamn fruit she wants when she wants. If you are broke all the time at 180k in household earnings unless you both have insane student debt you can make changes almost immediately to unfuck that situation wnough to start eating out of season fruit.

she also isnt reliant on him for income so the verdict is either she can buy some fruit or she can divorce him.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I'm not saying it's actually appropriate for the hubby to be all "no hon you can't have grapes and strawberries right now they're not in season" but come on just do the environment a favor and eat seasonally by default anyways it shouldn't be a huge sacrifice.

he isn't saying she can't have them because they're not in season, he says she can't have then because their $180k annual income cannot afford grapes, it's fuckin stupid and you can't justify that stupidity based on "well he'd have a point if his point was something else entirely"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She makes her own drat money she can spend an extra $2 on fruit, seriously it's loving noise compared to expenses outside their control which have an even smaller effect on overall quality of life drat

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh sure, grapes seem cheap. They're pennies a grape. But you know what pennies are? They're one figure. If you have a six-figure income, you can afford six figures. That's six grapes. Didn't think of it that way, did you? That's called financial literacy, look it up.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That woman should be holding her cat one day and just push her dumbshit husband out the window while laughing. :boom:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

InediblePenguin posted:

he isn't saying she can't have them because they're not in season, he says she can't have then because their $180k annual income cannot afford grapes, it's fuckin stupid and you can't justify that stupidity based on "well he'd have a point if his point was something else entirely"

It's not that they can't afford it, I think he knows they can afford it, it's just not efficiently frugal enough for him which is even worse.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bet you almost anything that dude is stashing away tons of her money because "half of everything is mine" and buying BTC with it or something prepping for the end. No one is just that weird about money with nothing else going on.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Moridin920 posted:

I bet you almost anything that dude is stashing away tons of her money because "half of everything is mine" and buying BTC with it or something prepping for the end. No one is just that weird about money with nothing else going on.

He could legitimately just have some extreme anxiety over money, I've had some really irrational freakouts over produce prices in the last year myself, but I was in total loving poverty less than two years ago and that did a lot of damage to my perceptions. If he was in a similar situation at some point, I can kind of understand, I'm not going to just go assuming he's stealing from her. That said, his anxiety is extremely irrational and if he's not gonna get help for it or try to change the behavior the only thing she can do is divorce him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

Lower upper-class people are the stingiest fuckers you will ever meet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pick posted:

These are some true loving words.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I know multiple people who make a ton of money but refuse to spend it on anything (and are also pretty miserable people in other ways too)

So basically

Pick posted:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I would really like to try a fruit sometime but 79 cents for bananas would really cut into my Funko Pop collecting budget so I subsist on a paste of flour and water and occasionally treat myself to a potato.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lots of goons really, really proud of themselves for eating produce occasionally itt

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

which is all well and good for him if splurging makes him anxious but sort of misses the bigger question of, like, she makes 90 loving k just on her own, why is anybody micromanaging else her pocket change. the two of them can't live incredibly loving plushly on the remainder if she sets aside, idk, a fifth of her income as personal mad money that nobody can say poo poo about if she blows on strawberries?

just have your office send whatever portion of your paycheck you don't need to set aside for shared expenses to your own bank account so Scrooge can't even see it, if financial domination isn't what gets you off there is no reason to live like this.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 25, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

These are some true loving words.

Lower upper-class person: *drives across town for gas that is 3 cents cheaper per gallon*

*has a 'life hack' that entails knowing exactly what day expensive specialty cheeses expire, pointing it out to customer service, and offering to buy it if offered a deduction*

*refuses to buy higher-end flour unless it is at the scratch-n-dent store even though can absolutely appreciate the difference when making breads and other baked goods and whines whenever he doesn't have the good flour, is a multimillionaire but can just GET THE loving KING ARTHUR FLOUR IF HE WANTS IT and would SAVE EVERYONE MORE TIME AND HASSLE OF HIS WHINING THAN THE DIFFERENCE IN PRICE, jesus loving christ*

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Personally I don't trust anyone who makes more than like 60k a year, money fucks people up and anyone who hoards wealth or believes that you can never have too much money is guaranteed to be a terrible human being in some regard

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

purple death ray posted:

Personally I don't trust anyone who makes more than like 60k a year, money fucks people up and anyone who hoards wealth or believes that you can never have too much money is guaranteed to be a terrible human being in some regard

Man, 60k is a low-rear end number for what you're talking about.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

purple death ray posted:

Some folks have become so accustomed to slavery that they can no longer see the shackles. For everyone else, there's frugal living and "hoarding wealth". None of this has to do with saving $1/lb on strawberries. Come to BFC we love you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Man, 60k is a low-rear end number for what you're talking about.

yeah Um.. I make quite a bit more than 60k and I wouldn't say that I feel like I can hoard money, I feel like it's comfortable and I font' need to worry about not buying grapes if they aren't on sale.
Then again I was supporting 3 children and a wife on that. Thankfully after my divorce if final i'll be making less than 60k so I'll be safe from goon's judgmental eyes.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 25, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Before we go too far down this rabbit hole, cost of living varies, availability of lower-price options varies, blah blah so let's just settle for the inevitable conclusion, and my personal favorite post in this thread,

Whorelord posted:

everyone above and below my exact socioeconomic status is a twat

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Oh is this the salarychat part of the thread? I'll just say that I make enough money to buy things unavailable to most people, like off-season berries, and the slaves that pick them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not gonna say how much I make but I will say that if my SO ever said I could only buy Hersheys instead of Lindt I would laugh right in their face.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I can't tell you how much I earn, but I can tell you what I make: love, girl. Oh yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I don't even know how someone who makes 60k, lives on their own, is saving for retirement, and has (pick one) student debt or a car loan can even go about "hoarding wealth." I make a decent bit more than that and support a wife and one child on it in a low COL area, and my wife still shops with a binder full of coupons and knows when the meat goes on clearance.