Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

In Galactic Civilizations, you slap transport modules on ships, and when they take off from a planet, you can choose to load them up with population from your planet as soldiers.

This means that theoretically, 100% of your population are soldiers, considering you can fully depopulate a planet by loading them all up in ships and attacking the enemy.

Considering that GalCiv is basically a playground for its designer's hilariously far-right conservative world view (its economic model actively punishes you for collecting taxes) the ability to draft 100% of your population does not surprise me in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey guys, since that Goon race pack never actually happened, I'm gonna throw my own together.

Submit your custom empires now!

Anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to post in this thread and include the words "SPECIES SUBMISSION" and then put the actual data for the race in a code tag or something (I'm just gonna search through the thread later looking for those words and I don't want to miss yours). Also include a screenshot of the details if you want. Resubmitting your previous submissions is fine. I'm going to try to push this out by next Friday. Include a description or your entry will be REJECTED.

You can get the data for your custom race from "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt"

Is it all right to link to a pastebin? Is there a limit on submissions?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man, it takes forever to kill off just a one population with full bombardment. So many more left to go. :(

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824299930898595840

Looking good. Want to see what the other species get too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Roland Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/824299930898595840

Looking good. Want to see what the other species get too.

I wonder if that's determined by city type or ship type?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Ship type.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zore posted:

Suspect the station itself tied to ship design where as the infopane graphics are tied to city like everything else planet related.

It looks like you build one just like colonzing any other planet. Wonder what benefits they will confer, aside from "here's a pop, but it's in space!" since it looks like it is otherwise self contained.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just one more sleep until the orbital diary.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zore posted:

I'd guess ship type, since all your other orbital and space stations are decided by that-

LordMune posted:

Ship type.

Oh, looks like we got the official answer while I tabbed away in the middle of writing this.

Anyway, besides the aesthetics, I find it interesting that the orbital's "landscape" appearance resembles that of a Gaia world and the habitability is 100%. This is really neat, but I assume there are some limitations/drawbacks, since just making your own Gaia worlds everywhere seems too good to be true. It being size 12 isn't spectacular, I suppose.

Also wonder what's with the "colonize" right in the middle above the size means. It seems like you'd have people on these from the start, right? Why construct a habitat like that if you aren't planning on having people live on it?

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 25, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Also wonder what's with the "colonize" right in the middle above the size means. It seems like you'd have people on these from the start, right? Why construct a habitat like that if you aren't planning on having people live on it?

Well, you still need to move people to it, and right now the way you do that is with colony ships.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yeah, it'd be pretty silly if constructors could "build" population then just bus them to another planet. That's probably why you need the colony ships still.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, it'd be pretty silly if constructors could "build" population then just bus them to another planet. That's probably why you need the colony ships still.

Also it's an easy way to let you select what pop you want to start the colony with.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wiz posted:

Also it's an easy way to let you select what pop you want to start the colony with.

That makes sense. I didn't think that population would be spontaneously generated, but didn't consider things like this.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Swedish Horror posted:

Haven't played with mods in Stellaris before, guess I'm gonna have to give it a shot. Are all the alphamod submods worth getting?

Don't start with Alphamods, it adds WAY TOO MUCH unless you just want All The Things(tm) in your game and IMHO the balance is really badly thought out. There's an alternative listed in my list in the OP that is a better overhaul, but if you really want to shake up the game try the Star Trek total conversion - the changes in that one actually make some sort of sense.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ah, so colonies just function as little planets with mines re-named mining drones or something.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey guys, since that Goon race pack never actually happened, I'm gonna throw my own together.

Anyone who wants to contribute, feel free to post in this thread and include the words "SPECIES SUBMISSION" and then put the actual data for the race in a code tag or something (I'm just gonna search through the thread later looking for those words and I don't want to miss yours). Also include a screenshot of the details if you want. Resubmitting your previous submissions is fine. I'm going to try to push this out by next Friday. Include a description or your entry will be REJECTED.

You can get the data for your custom race from "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs.txt"

SPECIES SUBMISSION

code:
"The Slimy Embrace of God"
={
	key="The Slimy Embrace of God"
	name_list="MOL1"
	ship_prefix="ISS"
	species_name="Sluggid"
	species_plural="Sluggsids"
	species_class="MOL"
	species_adjective="Sluggasidic"
	species_bio="Once, all of slimekind was at odds, moving hither and thither at random. People, Culture and Nations would rise, then fall, then sort of stick to the landscape and leave a trail behind them. Some would follow that trail while others would slither their own way. All this changed when the great Philosopher/Theologician/Janitor Bloblotha Goondhi ejaculated forth his defining work 'On the Onenes of Slime with the Divine'. Seeing as Sluggids were going through another of their periods of implosion following a blobbing, many sought solace in the sticky embrace of the divine. What few opposing voices were to be found were quickly absorbed and the Slimy Embrace of God was founded, with the absorption of the Prophet Goondi into their successor the Most Slimy One.  Being finally united in a single goal, for a time at least, they rapidly advanced culturally, scientifically and most importantly, theologically. It is now the time for them to ascend to the galactic stage, to share with the multitudes of the universe the one truth that is God. "
	portrait="mol17"
	name="The Slimy Embrace of God"
	adjective="Slimy "
	government="theocratic_republic"
	ftl=warp
	weapon="tech_lasers_1"
	planet_name="Cradle of Goo"
	planet_class="pc_arid"
	system_name="Slimeiac"
	initializer=""
	graphical_culture="molluscoid_01"
	city_graphical_culture="molluscoid_01"
	empire_flag={
		icon={
			category="ornate"
			file="flag_ornate_1.dds"
		}
		background={
			category="backgrounds"
			file="stripe.dds"
		}
		colors={
			"pink"
			"indigo"
			"null"
			"null"
		}
	}
	ruler={
		gender=female
		name="Slugina"
		portrait="mol17"
		texture=0
		hair=0
		clothes=0
		ruler_title_female="Most Slimy One"
	}
	spawn_as_fallen=no
	ignore_portrait_duplication=no
	spawn_enabled=always
	ethic="ethic_xenophile"
	ethic="ethic_fanatic_spiritualist"
	trait="trait_repugnant"
	trait="trait_extremely_adaptive"
	trait="trait_rapid_breeders"
	trait="trait_deviants"
	trait="trait_fleeting"
}

edit: oh my god my tables help
EDIT edit: ok still bad but idk

Also, why is there not a retro 50s space babe race variant for humans? :sad:

Is the archeologist trait bugged? It didn't seem to do jack poo poo for my now dead scientist >:[

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 25, 2017

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Baronjutter posted:

Ah, so colonies just function as little planets with mines re-named mining drones or something.

It means systems can go from 'empty, useless' to 5+ 'worlds' in a system, all of which can have Spaceports and the like. More scope for events, too. Not bad at all.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lum_ posted:

Considering that GalCiv is basically a playground for its designer's hilariously far-right conservative world view (its economic model actively punishes you for collecting taxes) the ability to draft 100% of your population does not surprise me in the slightest.

Population growth is created by recruitment centers, the implication being that more people live on your planet than you actually see on the screens, and you need to make them apply for citizenship before they're factored into your planet output and input.

So I guess the double-implication is that every citizen is a soldier and that every person who has access to government-sponsored food, science and culture, is a soldier by proxy. I never really thought about it this way but I am indeed getting some Heinlein vibes from this.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Population being converted 1:1 into troops is probably less because of some political view and more because that's how MoO1 did it and it worked really well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

Population being converted 1:1 into troops is probably less because of some political view and more because that's how MoO1 did it and it worked really well.

MoO also had "more taxes = less happiness" so I feel like that's not really evidence of a right wing galciv conspiracy either...

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Lum_ posted:

Huh? It's been a couple years since I picked up GalCiv 2, but I don't recall anything particularly "right wing" about it's tax system. I'm pretty sure it was your standard "tax more, produce less" scheme, albeit with approval rating and such. That's like, every game ever. You need both money and production to survive, so it's a balancing act.

Edit: Glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head there...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LogisticEarth posted:

Huh? It's been a couple years since I picked up GalCiv 2, but I don't recall anything particularly "right wing" about it's tax system.

GalCiv and GalCiv 2's tax system has an explicit Laffer Curve built in, where the maximum amount of money is achieved with a tax percentage well below maximum (and below 50%, IIRC).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ainsley McTree posted:

MoO also had "more taxes = less happiness" so I feel like that's not really evidence of a right wing galciv conspiracy either...

There's taxes and happiness in moo??
Also yeah, Galciv has a ton of very right wing economic and social ideas baked in, it's just not hit you over the head obvious. But in any game where you're trying to model economies and societies is going to end up showing some sort of creator bias.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ulmont posted:

GalCiv and GalCiv 2's tax system has an explicit Laffer Curve built in, where the maximum amount of money is achieved with a tax percentage well below maximum (and below 50%, IIRC).
Lol

Baronjutter posted:

Also yeah, Galciv has a ton of very right wing economic and social ideas baked in, it's just not hit you over the head obvious. But in any game where you're trying to model economies and societies is going to end up showing some sort of creator bias.
Is there a good post about this? It sounds hilarious tbh

What the hell do sectors even do? I thought they would let me skip tech penalties and poo poo but no, it looks like those planets count too. Do they not build ships or is that just for later? I can't gift them their own constructors? Did it delete my que for buildings after I made it into a sector?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
sectors allow you to get around the maximum number of personally administrated systems. if you have 10 systems but can only personally administrate 5, you will get progressively worse penalties to basically everything as you're administrating more and more systems. if you hand these systems off to a sector, you can keep all 10 systems in your empire.

there's a bunch of stuff surrounding sectors and if you want to learn more you're basically better off reading how they work in game or on the stellaris wiki

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Well moo2 anyway. Didn't it work so that the higher your taxes were, the more protesting pops you'd have?

My favorite tax system was in Victoria, where a good strategy was to reduce rich taxes to zero, and tax the poor for as much as you could without them physically rebelling

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well moo2 anyway. Didn't it work so that the higher your taxes were, the more protesting pops you'd have?

My favorite tax system was in Victoria, where a good strategy was to reduce rich taxes to zero, and tax the poor for as much as you could without them physically rebelling

Nope, no tax related happiness stuff in moo. It wasn't so much a tax rate as just a production rate converted into money. You could build "trade goods" or what ever which directly converted production into "BC" or you could set a "tax" rate that converted a percentage of your production into income. It had no social or economic effects.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GunnerJ posted:

Is it all right to link to a pastebin? Is there a limit on submissions?

Yeah in hindsight a pastebin is probably better.

As for the limit, consider 3 to be a soft limit. That's about how many I'd probably be willing to do before getting bored with your civs and "forgetting" to add the rest, unless they are really good, in which case there is effectively no limit!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ainsley McTree posted:

The most historically accurate game :arghfist: :anarchists:

Also dang those avian arcologies look pretty.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My fav personal bias leaking into a game is victoria 2, specially because the ideological leakage ended up making the economy not function at all and the only way around it was via some sort of command economy like state capitalism or full out communism.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, "collectivists" (lol that name) are the only ones able to keep slaves??
I thought you just had to be a non-individualist :(

Baronjutter posted:

My fav personal bias leaking into a game is victoria 2, specially because the ideological leakage ended up making the economy not function at all and the only way around it was via some sort of command economy like state capitalism or full out communism.

Lol yeah, that was fantastic.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
pretty sure xenophobes can keep xeno slaves but not 100% on that one

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Sounds accurate though?

Edit: :thejoke:

genericnick fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 25, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, "collectivists" (lol that name) are the only ones able to keep slaves??
I thought you just had to be a non-individualist :(

Collectivists, Xenophobes, and Spiritualists can keep bio-slaves.

Collectivism will also be no more in the near future.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that axis is getting renamed to Authoritarian-Egalitarian and getting appropriate fluff, which fits the mechanics better as well as addressing certain concerns/issues.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

genericnick posted:

Sounds accurate though?

The joke IIRC is that the guy who developed most of the V2 economy was a "taxes are theft" anacapitalist who somehow made capitalists end up as useless assholes who never do anything which is actually helpful and thus rendered more interventionist government forms into being almost objectively superior.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

SPECIES SUBMISSION

OK, I went through my empires and retrieved the most interesting ones, here they are:

I. Doncorcs

The Doncorcs are space crocs and capitalists through and through. They're also oddly charismatic, being able to scam and swindle everyone they meet. They do love their own freedom (to commit fraud), though.

Doncorcs posted:

"Ubersoft Incorporated"
={
key="Ubersoft Incorporated"
name_list="REP1"
ship_prefix="MBS"
species_name="Doncorc"
species_plural="Doncorcs"
species_class="REP"
species_adjective="Doncorcian"
species_bio="On Pollak, mammals never developed. After reptilian life showed up, evolution just started creating more and more reptiles, but not much else. The Pollakian Doncorcs are the prime example of this planet's strangeness: Hot-blooded bipedal reptiles, adapted to life on a cold, frozen lump of ice. For this species, life was always about making the most with the least. Where others saw an ocean of stars above them, the Doncorcs saw an ocean of money: The opportunity to turn a profit on every rock in space. Not many beings can combine utter selfishness and an imaginative mind into a working society like the Doncorcs did. They are true Captains of Industry."
portrait="rep13"
name="Ubersoft Incorporated"
adjective="Awesome"
government="direct_democracy"
ftl=hyperdrive
weapon="tech_mass_drivers_1"
planet_name="Pollak"
planet_class="pc_tundra"
system_name="Bollokom"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="reptilian_01"
city_graphical_culture="reptilian_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="pirate"
file="flag_pirate_2.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="sinus.dds"
}
colors={
"blue"
"black"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Hashimech"
portrait="rep13"
texture=2
hair=0
clothes=3
ruler_title_female="Master CEO"
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
spawn_enabled=no
ethic="ethic_fanatic_individualist"
ethic="ethic_materialist"
trait="trait_strong"
trait="trait_charismatic"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_thrifty"
trait="trait_slow_breeders"
}

II. Ghich

The Ghich are the absolute opposite from the Doncorcs: Even literally, since they are denizens of the deep sea! They have been trying for ages to think something they call the "Deep Thought" and no-one has any idea what that is or what would happen if they succeed. They are oddly fanatical about their devotion to thinking this "Deep Thought".

Ghich posted:

"Principality of Thought"
={
key="Principality of Thought"
name_list="FUN1"
ship_prefix="TV"
species_name="Ghich"
species_plural="Ghich"
species_class="MOL"
species_adjective="Ghian"
species_bio="The Ghich call themselves the \"Deep Thinkers\". For as long they have a recorded history, they have tried to think what they call the \"Deep Thought\". It is unknown what this concept even is, since every non-Ghich tends to suffer severe headaches when listening to the explanation of a Ghich-Thinker. Luckily even visiting them is a chore, since they prefer hiding in the hadal zones of their planets. Occasionally you may find Ghich-constructions closer to the surface, but it is a rare occurrence. Otherwise, not much is known about the Ghich: They prefer being left alone. It is not even known if every single Ghich conforms to their weird semi-religion."
portrait="mol6"
name="Principality of Thought"
adjective="Smart"
government="theocratic_oligarchy"
ftl=hyperdrive
weapon="tech_missiles_1"
planet_name="Ghavich"
planet_class="pc_ocean"
system_name="Chuolicx"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="molluscoid_01"
city_graphical_culture="molluscoid_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="blocky"
file="flag_blocky_13.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="diagonal.dds"
}
colors={
"turquoise"
"blue"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Vloxionistea"
portrait="mol6"
texture=4
hair=0
clothes=0
ruler_title_female="Main Thinker"
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
spawn_enabled=no
ethic="ethic_collectivist"
ethic="ethic_xenophobe"
ethic="ethic_spiritualist"
trait="trait_nonadaptive"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_intelligent"
trait="trait_conformists"
trait="trait_resilient"
}

III. Byr

The Byr are catoids (felines) who formed a star nation they called the Lyran Commonwealth. The leader who took over the government after development of the first FTL-drive was Archon Catrina Steiner. She is still leading the Commonwealth when you start the game with this empire. The Byr think they are "peaceful" now, after the end of their bloody unification war, but from an alien viewpoint they are still rather militaristic.

Edit: I should mention that I used the Cat Portraits Dimorphism mod, since it makes cats look more like cats than the original portraits. Those make me think the devs played far too much Wing Commander in their childhood. The empire is still playable without that mod, it just makes Catrina Steiner invisible and all future leaders will look like Kilrathi-rejects, even the female ones. If you can live with that travesty, or if that mod is somehow included in a future Goon Pack, go ahead and try this species.

Byr posted:

"Lyran Commonwealth"
={
key="Lyran Commonwealth"
name_list="MAM3"
ship_prefix="IMS"
species_name="Byr"
species_plural="Byroni"
species_class="MAM"
species_adjective="Byran"
species_bio="The Byroni are a felinoid species, evolved predators with a strong territorial instinct. This didn't make it easy for them to form a stable global society, but after centuries of trying they finally made it work. It took a long, bloody unification war however, and the Byroni only survived because this war took place during their pre-nuclear phase. Only during the long, lasting peace after the final battle did the Byroni make the necessary scientific advances. Their brutal past has traumatized them and nowadays they prefer a peaceful life, but they haven't forgotten their martial history."
portrait="mam14"
name="Lyran Commonwealth"
adjective="Lyran"
government="military_junta"
ftl=warp
weapon="tech_missiles_1"
planet_name="Lyran"
planet_class="pc_continental"
system_name="Lyr"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="mammalian_01"
city_graphical_culture="reptilian_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="domination"
file="domination_9.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="new_dawn.dds"
}
colors={
"null"
"null"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Catrina Steiner"
portrait="mamfem14"
texture=1
hair=0
clothes=4
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
spawn_enabled=no
ethic="ethic_individualist"
ethic="ethic_militarist"
ethic="ethic_materialist"
trait="trait_solitary"
trait="trait_enduring"
trait="trait_strong"
trait="trait_quick_learners"
}

I still have seven more races I made for the Goon Mod, but I decided I shouldn't post them all at once. Ten races complete with descriptions and code blocks sound a bit overwhelming for a single post.

Next batch coming soon!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

The joke IIRC is that the guy who developed most of the V2 economy was a "taxes are theft" anacapitalist who somehow made capitalists end up as useless assholes who never do anything which is actually helpful and thus rendered more interventionist government forms into being almost objectively superior.

I've often thought this reflects a difficulty of designing games and AI to model a real political and economic system more than anything. A strategy game will give you all of the advantages of a command economy with none of the drawbacks, while it will give you all the drawbacks of a market economy and none of the advantages. (I'm not even saying this as some kind of free-marketeer either.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah in hindsight a pastebin is probably better.

As for the limit, consider 3 to be a soft limit. That's about how many I'd probably be willing to do before getting bored with your civs and "forgetting" to add the rest, unless they are really good, in which case there is effectively no limit!

Aight, in light of this I'mma give you mine in descending order of what I think is good (once I get off my rear end and do it) so the best three are on top in case you start getting bored after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Will habitats be able to become independent?

Like could you have a breakaway star republic consisting entirely of a single habitat.

That'd be cool.

• Locked thread