Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if anyone told me my cat was too great an expense i'd shove rolls of pennies up their rear end and shove them off a pier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

I don't even know how someone who makes 60k, lives on their own, is saving for retirement, and has (pick one) student debt or a car loan can even go about "hoarding wealth." I make a decent bit more than that and support a wife and one child on it in a low COL area, and my wife still shops with a binder full of coupons and knows when the meat goes on clearance.

Well, easy, they live in an area that is low COL and also don't support a wife or kid.

But yeah $60k/yr isn't really all that much.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

I don't even know how someone who makes 60k, lives on their own, is saving for retirement, and has (pick one) student debt or a car loan can even go about "hoarding wealth." I make a decent bit more than that and support a wife and one child on it in a low COL area, and my wife still shops with a binder full of coupons and knows when the meat goes on clearance.

STOP HOARDING ALL THE MONEY YOU RICHER!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Pick posted:

if anyone told me my cat was too great an expense i'd shove rolls of pennies up their rear end and shove them off a pier

You'd do that to your cat?

tater_salad posted:

STOP HOARDING ALL THE MONEY YOU RICHER!

Sorry I'll stop

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm talking about individual wealth, obviously 60k supporting a big family isn't going to go very far.

Idk I read this article that pegged the point where increase in money stopped equating increase in the quality of life at 80k. 60k might be low but people really overestimate how much money you need, because our society teaches us that there's always something to spend it on. There's always something else you need to buy, there's always a fancier version of anything you own, and you can never have enough money, let alone too much. It's very hard to reject that and be honest with yourself about what you really need in life.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

You'd do that to your cat?

my cat is a "he" because he is mr. cuddly wuddle bums :3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Idk I read this article that pegged the point where increase in money stopped equating increase in the quality of life at 80k

"Therefore I determined all people making $60k are rear end in a top hat moochers"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

purple death ray posted:

Idk I read this article that pegged the point where increase in money stopped equating increase in the quality of life at 80k. 60k might be low but people really overestimate how much money you need, because our society teaches us that there's always something to spend it on. There's always something else you need to buy, there's always a fancier version of anything you own, and you can never have enough money, let alone too much. It's very hard to reject that and be honest with yourself about what you really need in life.

Well there are shifting social standards as well; in the 1950s, it was perfectly normal to have 3-4 blouses and 3-4 skirts/trousers and just wear combinations of those eight or so items. That would be strange and gauche now, even though, realistically, they're body coverings and if you're not into fashion, there's no reason you should be expected to own forty shirts.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I have Enrique pick grapes straight off the vine, package them and bring them to the supermarket where I have Enrique purchase and bring them home for me to ignore until it's time to throw it away. Lol, just lol, if you're too poor for Enrique to do this for you.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I'm talking about individual wealth, obviously 60k supporting a big family isn't going to go very far.

I made that when I was single, too, in the same low COL metro I live in now. Your number is seriously low. Single people making $60k don't have wealth, much less the ability to hoard it, and it's not because they're replacing their year old iPads and having tanning beds installed in their condos.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean idk I can get all my bills and expenses paid with easily less than say $25k/yr living in a nice 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego which is pretty drat high COL (Encinitas, specifically).

What are you doing with the other half of that if you don't have a kid or spouse to support? Especially if you are in a lower COL area.

"Hoarding wealth" is def a strong term there but you're doing alright for sure.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 25, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pick posted:

Well there are shifting social standards as well; in the 1950s, it was perfectly normal to have 3-4 blouses and 3-4 skirts/trousers and just wear combinations of those eight or so items. That would be strange and gauche now, even though, realistically, they're body coverings and if you're not into fashion, there's no reason you should be expected to own forty shirts.

I guess I'm gauche then cause I literally have a pair of shoes, 3-4 pairs of pants, and aside from work shirts which my employer provides, 3-4 shirts I wear in my free time

I don't even know what I could possibly spend 60k a year on. That's almost 3 times what I make now lol

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

I mean idk I can get all my bills and expenses paid with easily less than say $25k/yr living in a nice 2 bedroom apartment in San Diego which is pretty drat high COL (Encinitas, specifically).

What are you doing with the other half of that if you don't have a kid or spouse to support? Especially if you are in a lower COL area.

"Hoarding wealth" is def a strong term there but you're def gonna be flush with cash.

Bull loving poo poo you're making a 2-bedroom apartment with the Real Adult Starter Pack - health insurance, retirement savings, transportation, phone, and groceries - happen in San Diego on $25k without either some popcorn-for-dinner poo poo or a rentboy arrangement happening.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
We support two kids + us on $45k in central Texas, and I buy strawberries out of season because my 5-year-old hates all other fruit except apples, and I'll be goddamned if the boy isn't gonna eat some loving fruit every day. Also even out of season they're like $2 right now, wtf are these people whining about

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pick posted:

I would expect someone to at least have 7 or 8 different shirts so they can change each day without needing to do washing in the middle of the week. Nobody will notice if you wear the same pair of black jeans 3 or 4 days in a row as long as you don't stain them, but they'll definitely notice repeating shirts.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

TheScott2K posted:

Bull loving poo poo you're making a 2-bedroom apartment with the Real Adult Starter Pack - health insurance, retirement savings, transportation, phone, and groceries - happen in San Diego on $25k without either some popcorn-for-dinner poo poo or a rentboy arrangement happening.

let me tell you about the miracle of rice and beans,

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

purple death ray posted:

Making 80k vs 60k probably doesn't make you much happier at age 30, but having made 80k vs 60k at 30 probably makes you much happier at age 65. Wealth and income aren't even that strongly correlated anyway.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I don't even know what I could possibly spend 60k a year on. That's almost 3 times what I make now lol

Where are you living where you can live comfortable on less than $20k?!?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Goons are willing to accept various levels of comfort.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

WampaLord posted:

Move to San Antonio :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Goons are willing to accept various levels of comfort.

??

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

Well I have a roommate in the other bedroom and my GF split the rent for the other if that's what you mean but uh yeah bro and easily. Way less than $25k/yr actually if you are careful.

Monthly:

$800 rent + utilities (includes internet, no TV though but $20/mo for Hulu/Netflix)
$300 groceries (and I'm not exactly careful about what I spend, that number could drop considerably)
$150 for auto insurance (mine is way less than that, that's just the average in CA)
$100 for health insurance (thx obama)
say $100 for gas (way less than this because my Mazda is pretty dang fuel efficient but let's include maintenance there as well)
$150 car payment (could also be less)
$70 for phone
$500 for other poo poo like eating out or LEGO or snowboarding - $125/wk discretionary spending is pretty good imo if you're trying to be frugal. Pays for at least a night or two out every weekend for sure.

I mean I didn't include retirement savings in there but that's about $25k/yr right there to live (alright it is slightly over). With the other $35k of the $60k surely you can put a few hundo into savings per month and still have a ton left over.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 25, 2017

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

So are taxes just not a thing for you, or...?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

So are taxes just not a thing for you, or...?

lol come on dog alright add taxes but you're not making up the $30k difference there with taxes

I mean sorry man but I've lived in San Diego while making less than $25k/yr you're just wrong that it isn't possible. Add another $35k on top of that and yeah you're flush if you don't blow it on stupid luxury crap you don't need.

gently caress I was making like $18k/yr working at Domino's and living in Oside cmon son. It was miserable to be sure but $60k/yr is triple that and then some.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 25, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WampaLord posted:

I make more than 20k. But it's only in the last few years that's happened.

Lots of people are out there making it work on less money than that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

1/4 of a 2-bedroom apartment is 75% less than a 2-bedroom apartment. Also trying to figure out if literally any leisure activity at all counts as "luxury you don't need" to you. Willing to bet it does. Either way, you called me "dog" which is fun.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And if you're wondering "wow how can people possibly survive on that little pay" well welcome to why people are pissed the gently caress off and Trump got elected.

TheScott2K posted:

1/4 of a 2-bedroom apartment is 75% less than a 2-bedroom apartment. Also trying to figure out if literally any leisure activity at all counts as "luxury you don't need" to you. Willing to bet it does. Either way, you called me "dog" which is fun.

This is the nitpickiest poo poo I've heard all day. I think it is obvious when someone says they are living in a 2 bedroom apartment they aren't paying the entire cost of the rent by themselves otherwise why would they be living in a 2 bedroom.

And I included going out and snowboarding in there so...........

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

purple death ray posted:

I make more than 20k. But it's only in the last few years that's happened.

Lots of people are out there making it work on less money than that.

I get that, but I don't get the corresponding mindset of "What would I even spend $60k on?"

Probably better living conditions? Why is that unimaginable?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

I get that, but I don't get the corresponding mindset of "What would I even spend $60k on?"

But yeah $60k isn't all that much for what he was talking about (depending on the area).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

And if you're wondering "wow how can people possibly survive on that little pay" well welcome to why people are pissed the gently caress off and Trump got elected.

They voted for Trump because they hate blacks, mexicans, muslims, jews, homos and women, HTH

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Improbable Lobster posted:

They voted for Trump because they hate blacks, mexicans, muslims, jews, homos and women, HTH

lol then how come Trump got less votes than Mitt Romney and the Dems lost states that have been solid blue for years and years?

All those for sure blue states suddenly became racist because a black man was in office or what? Populism is rising because people are looking around and they are pissed off at the state of things. The Dems ignored that and ran a status quo candidate and lost. Racists are using the Trump win as an excuse to be more vocal in public spaces. It's pretty simple really and it is infuriating that the left can't understand this and re-examine their platform.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Please don't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Moridin920 posted:

lol then how come Trump got less votes than Mitt Romney and the Dems lost states that have been solid blue for years and years?

Trump lost the popular vote by more than 2 million

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Edit: gently caress talking about the election.

quote:

This is the nitpickiest poo poo I've heard all day. I think it is obvious when someone says they are living in a 2 bedroom apartment they aren't paying the entire cost of the rent by themselves otherwise why would they be living in a 2 bedroom.

And I included going out and snowboarding in there so...........

That's really not obvious to everyone.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

That's really not obvious to everyone.

lol well idk what to say. It seems obvious to me. Who pays for a 2 bedroom apartment as a single person with no roommates or gf/bf?

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Post terrible broken relationship stories, not political chat.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Haha yeah don't post politics here!!!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

$800 rent + utilities (includes internet, no TV though but $20/mo for Hulu/Netflix)

for a 2br apartment lmao

TheScott2K posted:

Bull loving poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Moridin920 posted:

lol well idk what to say. It seems obvious to me. Who pays for a 2 bedroom apartment as a single person with no roommates or gf/bf?

People that can afford it? Likely in the suburbs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WampaLord posted:

My apartment loving rules are you kidding me? This is the best place I've ever lived. Like I guess it would be convenient to have a second car for my girlfriend but that's like another couple of hundred a month. We could possibly make that happen on our current income. Plus I already feel like an irredeemable shithead driving my first ever less than decade old car past homeless people begging on the streets.

I would probably give most of it away tbh. I don't understand rich people and I don't want to.