Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Watched HunterXHunter over the holiday, real addictive stuff. Not what you would expect, it's pretty inventive for what it is.

Also Last Exile, managed to view a few eps of that in my Hunter marathon, interesting subject matter, looking forward to going deeper into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

LolitaSama posted:

How is the historical hero show of last season., Drifters?

How much you enjoy it depends on how much you know about the Sengoku period of Japan. Most of the characters are from that era, and some jokes/references in the first few episodes will go over your head if you don't know anything. If you can bear that, it becomes ultraviolent and mostly dumb fun, with the exception of one aspect. One of the characters is a strategic genius from a more advanced era, and watching him leverage his military and technological knowledge creates the best highlights of the series.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does that guy actually die? If I remember correctly he's not at the top of a cliff, he's just up an incline from where a bunch of other soldiers are standing. He could conceivably have survived that.

Talking about the dude selling the women who was running away in the boat, he definitely dies.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Shageletic posted:

Also Last Exile, managed to view a few eps of that in my Hunter marathon, interesting subject matter, looking forward to going deeper into it.

Just prepare yourself for the most Gonzo of endings.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im gonna spoil something about last exile, that they don't mention at all till the end but you are kinda expected to know for it to make sense: it all takes place on a giant spaceship. they mention this on the dvd cover, but not in the show somehow

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The gently caress?!

Dysons sphere out of nowhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

im gonna spoil something about last exile, that they don't mention at all till the end but you are kinda expected to know for it to make sense: it all takes place on a giant spaceship. they mention this on the dvd cover, but not in the show somehow

To be fair, it's easy to surmise something is unnatural about the world due to the plateaus and cliffs containing jagged metal supports, but the true reveal still manages to be utter batshit insanity.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The ending to Last Exile was profoundly disappointing IMO. Though I want to say I remember a sequel manga coming out at some point that alleviated at least one major grievance I had with it (a character I liked a lot turning out to still be alive); problem was that said sequel manga was pretty awful.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Last exile was a neat idea with some neat characters, an ok execution for the most part, then a wet explosion of poo poo down the back of their legs.

Basically vintage gonzo.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Disappointed about the above, but what can you do.

Because Hunter X Hunter is basically crack, I've watched 41 episodes, and I really need to loving sleep. GODDAMN.

edit: 52. Really smart way of wrapping up the first season while not closing off any interesting story possibilities with the primary villains in the future without nerfing them. That's really good storytelling.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 20, 2017

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Last Exile still has one of the best OPs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That is absolutely true, yeah.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I found out about Ghost Stories recently and it's one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Are there any other animes with hilarious gag dubs like that?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could try Samurai Pizza Cats, though I don't know if it's still funny when you're not 11 and living in the 90's.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Shageletic posted:

Disappointed about the above, but what can you do.

Because Hunter X Hunter is basically crack, I've watched 41 episodes, and I really need to loving sleep. GODDAMN.

edit: 52. Really smart way of wrapping up the first season while not closing off any interesting story possibilities with the primary villains in the future without nerfing them. That's really good storytelling.

Hunter X Hunter is insanely good. It single handedly got me through one of the worst jobs I ever worked. Some of my fondest memories were of watching HxH at like 2 AM, realizing I had to go to bed, then saying gently caress it and watching like 15 more episodes before calling in sick the next day.

You just goooooooo awayyyyyyyyy~

Right now I've just finished watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and I'm really hurting for more of the dynamic between Kikuhiko and Sukeroku. Any other animes that have roughly the same tone and fun characters? Leaning more towards Seinen stuff, but more than willing to branch out.

klapman fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 24, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
HxH was the last long-running shonen I got to watch together with an animation major friend of mine before our respective schedules got too hectic to keep that hobby up any more. I miss it, and those times.

e: that fuggen narrator, tho

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Get Backers any good at all? It's one of those shows I've just seen DVD's for everywhere and Madman Entertainment's dumping the fatpacks for $10AU a pop as part of their clearance sale. (Seriously, if you're in Australia and haven't trawled through their sale page, get in on that poo poo. There's some amazing bargains to get out of their warehouse purge, and it's ending real soon).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I loved the poo poo out of GetBackers when it first came out in... 2002? poo poo, that was 15 years ago :stare:

Anyway, I don't remember much about it, except that the battles were cool and the homoeroticism levels quite high. Entertaining. Personally I'd say it's worth a try if you don't have to spend too much money on it (no idea what $10AU translates to for purchasing value).

E. oooooh, yeah. I'm reading the episode summaries on Wikipedia, it brings back memories. The comedy episodes were really funny, and there's some surprisingly deep* poo poo in there about reality and what it means to be alive (a place in the series is basically a giant Holodeck, and people living inside it have no way of determining whether they're real people or just simulations).

* disclaimer: "deep" as in "15-year-old me thought it was deep". I'd have to rewatch it now to see if I was right or not :downs:

Second edit: looking at the character list, one of the protagonists is voiced by Nobutoshi Canna, i.e. Lancer :laffo:

Third edit: Oh. It's a DEEN series.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 24, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mikl posted:

I loved the poo poo out of GetBackers when it first came out in... 2002? poo poo, that was 15 years ago :stare:

Anyway, I don't remember much about it, except that the battles were cool and the homoeroticism levels quite high. Entertaining. Personally I'd say it's worth a try if you don't have to spend too much money on it (no idea what $10AU translates to for purchasing value).

E. oooooh, yeah. I'm reading the episode summaries on Wikipedia, it brings back memories. The comedy episodes were really funny, and there's some surprisingly deep* poo poo in there about reality and what it means to be alive (a place in the series is basically a giant Holodeck, and people living inside it have no way of determining whether they're real people or just simulations).

* disclaimer: "deep" as in "15-year-old me thought it was deep". I'd have to rewatch it now to see if I was right or not :downs:

Second edit: looking at the character list, one of the protagonists is voiced by Nobutoshi Canna, i.e. Lancer :laffo:

Third edit: Oh. It's a DEEN series.

So do I pull the trigger on both fatpacks or not? :ohdear:

Also $10AU is an insanely good deal for a six-disc fatpack. For comparison, $20-$30 is the average price of a movie DVD and most new anime series fatpacks run the $60 mark. $70 for Blu-Ray.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So do I pull the trigger on both fatpacks or not? :ohdear:

Also $10AU is an insanely good deal for a six-disc fatpack. For comparison, $20-$30 is the average price of a movie DVD and most new anime series fatpacks run the $60 mark. $70 for Blu-Ray.

At that price, yes. Worst case scenario you have a boring action series with some standout comedic moments.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It should be noted that as a not very popular anime based on a long running shounen series it basically just stops with no resolution.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I spent the first six episodes of Psycho-Pass 2 wondering where the hate came from and then that hard swerve came :stare:.

Togane was a fun brooding character until he went fullblown Oedipus-Complex, nevermind the Sybil System actively working against its own principles. The whole thing of just escalating victims to "THEY ARE LATENT CRIMINALS" from being hostages was also waaay off how it worked in the first season, because they're supposed to subdue and treat the poor fuckers if possible. It's like the new director watched the first two episodes and went "yup, that's all I need! :pseudo:". Nevermind the reveal behind Kamui's bullshit and "collective psycho-passes" undermining the whole basis for the Sybil system.

Some of the basic ideas were neat and the basic framework of the story was okay at least. But good lord was there some real bullshit in the second half of the season.

Sakurazuka posted:

It should be noted that as a not very popular anime based on a long running shounen series it basically just stops with no resolution.

Like none of us have ever seen that happen before :v:. For all of $20, I'm up for some dumb entertainment and action.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The second season has some cool stuff but patterns itself after the first season in a way that was already done better, and that undermines the core premise. It has the same problem i have with brave new world, where they write in these holes in the system for what seems like narrative expedience for some reason instead of investigating the system itself. The movie is interesting and definitely a step up from s2 but it suffers from this as well

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

The second season has some cool stuff but patterns itself after the first season in a way that was already done better, and that undermines the core premise. It has the same problem i have with brave new world, where they write in these holes in the system for what seems like narrative expedience for some reason instead of investigating the system itself. The movie is interesting and definitely a step up from s2 but it suffers from this as well

Season 2 wasn't entirely without merit at least. The basic story beats like Kamui manipulating each incident to test his theories were great and legitimately well-planned without any bullshit out of nowhere just for the sake of a twist, especially the whole hosed-up situation with the military drone testing site where he let a bunch of random people think they're playing a cheerful videogame while they mow down civilians and cops. It also had some neat trivia about how hosed up their society is when that kind of videogame overlay is how the military there actually works so the operators don't ruin their psycho-passes. The season just failed as a whole when the whole Togane angle came to the forefront because it was a load of needless bullshit that accomplished nothing.

It's nice to know the movie's better though, I've got the Blu-Ray sitting on my to-watch stack.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Something bleak please.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have you seen gundam thunderbolt?

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I haven't. Will it bum me out?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

The news?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

Saikano
Now and then, here and there
Grave of the Fireflies

and for something less well known: Wolf's Rain

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Doesn't do it for me!

Thanks for the suggesttions!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Regarding bleak shows, there's also From The New World, which I really enjoyed.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

smenj posted:

Regarding bleak shows, there's also From The New World, which I really enjoyed.

:yeah: It's one of my favourites

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I just finished it a week ago, and while it had some rough bits, it was pretty great overall.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

uguu posted:

I haven't. Will it bum me out?

It bummed me out

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

fezball posted:

Saikano
Now and then, here and there
Grave of the Fireflies

and for something less well known: Wolf's Rain

All good bleak choices. If you like manga read the Saikano manga though, way way better done even if the show isn't awful it cuts a lot out and is Gonzo so lots of poo poo rear end animation / CG.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wolf's Rain is a pretty good suggestion, even though it's one of those times where I feel like a show about the decaying technological superstate would have been more interesting than the one they actually made which is set after 'the fall'.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

Gakkou Gurashi gets really bleak really fast.
Evangelion, assuming you haven't seen it
Death Note
Magical Girl Raising Project if you want something recent

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

Mawaru Penguindrum starts off upbeat and silly. Prepare to be surprised.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

uguu posted:

Something bleak please.

http://muchnothing.com/hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
I need some recommendations. Let me break down likes, dislikes and recently enjoyed.

Things I've enjoyed in the past or present:
  • One punch man
  • JoJo
  • Log Horizon
  • Grimgar
  • SAO/Accel World (mediocre)
  • KonoSuba
  • Soul Eater
  • Fairy Tail (mediocre but fast paced)
  • Spice and Wolf
  • Psychopass

Things I love:
  • Shows that don't take themselves to seriously.
  • Shows about adventure or new worlds
  • Shows that are ridiculous or absurd

poo poo I hate:
  • Slice of life anime. Bonus points if they're all high school kids.
  • Anime about sports (fantasy sports don't count, maybe, assuming that even exists)
  • Gratuitous Gore/Bloody/Super violent. Read: Elfen Lied levels of gratuitous. Psychopass/Berserk are fine.

Please help me pick some fun, good, nice things to watch!