Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou77KOJQAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEMGkhCwnU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

thelazyblank posted:

This obvious joke does bring a real question: Did anyone else try the Transmedia Empire idea after GMS shot himself in the foot with an assault rifle for half a decade?

7th Sea, I guess?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I haven't been in here for a few months, but I saw this today and thought of this thread.

I assume its still not out? :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't been in here for a few months, but I saw this today and thought of this thread.

I assume its still not out? :v:

https://twitter.com/gmskarka/status/823425276956868609

I honestly cannot imagine what the hell he's still working on, unless he's rewriting the whole game. Chapters 1 to 9 were done ages ago.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
he said he would release what he had completed by the end of 2016

guess what happened?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Red Metal posted:

he said he would release what he had completed by the end of 2016

guess what happened?

Not sure who the guy asking is, but he also called out the end-of-year promise:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

had other fires to put out besides this raging tire fire that's been burning for six years

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hauki posted:

had other fires to put out besides this raging tire fire that's been burning for six years

Hey, tire fires are hard to extinguish once they really get going.

(I am not, in any way, supporting GMS, just poking fun at your analogy)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly cannot imagine what the hell he's still working on, unless he's rewriting the whole game. Chapters 1 to 9 were done ages ago.
The manuscript must look like Jack Nicholson's novel in The Shining.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

thelazyblank posted:

This obvious joke does bring a real question: Did anyone else try the Transmedia Empire idea after GMS shot himself in the foot with an assault rifle for half a decade?

7th Sea took a shot at it at $1.25M and there have been a few Kickstarters that tried to do it. I'm pretty sure someone tried to rip off Hearthstone that way but it's probably long since failed and I can't find it now. :shrug:

I'm currently debating making the art book double as a splat for the tabletop game so I can put it on DriveThruRPG. We'll see if that works out I guess :buddy:

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ettin posted:

7th Sea took a shot at it at $1.25M and there have been a few Kickstarters that tried to do it. I'm pretty sure someone tried to rip off Hearthstone that way but it's probably long since failed and I can't find it now. :shrug:

I'm currently debating making the art book double as a splat for the tabletop game so I can put it on DriveThruRPG. We'll see if that works out I guess :buddy:

You seem like a cool skelly and were also a cool santa so I'm thinking about giving your anime a shot. Is it purely a visual novel or is there any interaction/branching plot planned? I don't really know much about these things, so I'm not sure what exactly that entails.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haha I completely forgot about their doomed highborn manchild video game kickstarter. Guess it flopped?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Cinnamon Bear posted:

You seem like a cool skelly and were also a cool santa so I'm thinking about giving your anime a shot. Is it purely a visual novel or is there any interaction/branching plot planned? I don't really know much about these things, so I'm not sure what exactly that entails.

There's gonna be a lot of interaction but I'm probably gonna avoid branching. I'm a little wary of it because it could easily turn into a ton of work, and I'd rather not ruin my ~transmedia empire~ on my first attempt!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ettin posted:

This seems like a smart idea.

Isn't this sort of what Eclipse Phase does with their commissioned art? You can buy the art as separate from the text pdf or something?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyway.

The Star on the Shore

Chaosium licenced Call of Cthulhu sandbox adventure in 1920s New England.

Six days left

Fully funded, many stretch goals unlocked.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/darkcultgames/the-star-on-the-shore-a-call-of-cthulhu-rpg-module?ref=nav_search

No idea if it's good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So related to those wooden GM screens I posted about the other day, Wyrmwood is doing their own wooden modular GM screens

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Helical Nightmares posted:

This seems like a smart idea.

Isn't this sort of what Eclipse Phase does with their commissioned art? You can buy the art as separate from the text pdf or something?

Yeah, they sell 'hack packs' which contain high res art assets from the books so you can use them in your own CC works.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So related to those wooden GM screens I posted about the other day, Wyrmwood is doing their own wooden modular GM screens

This would be 100% improved if they replaced that rotating middle panel with velvet curtains you can pull back to present hand puppet shows to the players

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That's definitely the revolving fireplace that the big bad steps through

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's a lot better looking than the other one.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What's funnier than overly elaborate gaming paraphernalia? Far West!

Kickstarter, almost a full month of silence after the for-reals totally the end previous deadline posted:

I have purposefully not been checking the comments page -- assuming (apparently incorrectly) that if somebody had a serious problem they needed addressed, they'd contact me via the email that I've provided regularly for that purpose.

Just stepping in to leave a brief note:

I've been contacted by the Kansas AG's Consumer Protection office, and I've been responding to them. This, naturally, takes time that I would prefer to be using to finish this and deliver, but it is what it is.

Regardless -- delivery will be occurring soon.

Twitter posted:

TFW You're one guy working to finish a project, and have to take time to fill out paperwork to respond to a complaint filed b/c its late.

a little later in that Twitter thread posted:

That's a fair criticism. I said I was going to do it, and I didn't.

That last is all the response he's got to "You take umbrage at being called a liar and people pursuing what meager legal action is available to them, but you swore you'd release whatever you have end of 2016." Stunning.

Will Far West be released? Find out in the exciting next episode: Another Blown Deadline.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Ettin posted:

I'm pretty sure someone tried to rip off Hearthstone that way but it's probably long since failed and I can't find it now. :shrug:

This guy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Old Tree posted:

Will Far West be released? Find out in the exciting next episode: Another Blown Deadline.
Oh man, the Kansas AG now. :popcorn:

e: why is this not a smiley?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
:munch:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I say this drat near every time, but GMS released the first eight or nine chapters to backers ages ago. The crunch was done. Yeah, it was lovely d20-with-aspects but they were done! And the setting was written by someone else so presumably that was done too.

He said that he was putting together the GMing chapter like two years ago and that was all that was done, but at this point he has to be rewriting the whole drat thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well, this is what happens when you make multiple broken promises, ignore customer complaints, insult people who have given you money, fail to issue refunds, and generally act like an entitled manchild instead of a professional.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I say this drat near every time, but GMS released the first eight or nine chapters to backers ages ago. The crunch was done. Yeah, it was lovely d20-with-aspects but they were done! And the setting was written by someone else so presumably that was done too.

He said that he was putting together the GMing chapter like two years ago and that was all that was done, but at this point he has to be rewriting the whole drat thing.

Seriously? If he's that close to done then this makes no sense. It was one thing to believe "working on the last chapters" was bullshit and he had something half finished and nowhere near releasable.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Seriously? If he's that close to done then this makes no sense. It was one thing to believe "working on the last chapters" was bullshit and he had something half finished and nowhere near releasable.

Yup. I actually read them myself. I remember discussing it in IRC as I was reading it. I don't have the files now (they're probably on my old tower) but they do exist.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

That Old Tree posted:

That last is all the response he's got to "You take umbrage at being called a liar and people pursuing what meager legal action is available to them, but you swore you'd release whatever you have end of 2016." Stunning.

Maybe if he spent less time making anti-Trump posts on Facebook and more time working, it would be done?

Says the guy blowing off writing to make anti-Trump posts on Facebook.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Evil Mastermind posted:

God drat but Wyrmwood makes some really good-looking wooden boxes. I got one of their dice boxes as a gift and I just love the look. $100 is pretty steep for a screen but I really love their initiative tracker idea.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So Twilight of the Gods is entering its final day. Any thoughts on it?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Maxwell Lord posted:

It makes sense if he's basically trapped himself in a spiral of "it has to be X better to prove it was worth being Y months/years late" where upping X naturally leads to more Y, which requires more X, and on to infinity we go.

Some of the discussion in the exalted thread has periodically speculated whether they're going down the same rabbit hole.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Desiden posted:

It makes sense if he's basically trapped himself in a spiral of "it has to be X better to prove it was worth being Y months/years late" where upping X naturally leads to more Y, which requires more X, and on to infinity we go.
Of course, if that's the case (wouldn't surprise me) then it completely ignores the idea that there's really no way to make a game that makes up for the years of excuses, lies, missed dates, blame shifting, and insults.

I honestly can't imagine anything he could do or put out that would make up for his behavior throughout this whole mess.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, when that starts to happen you have to realize that's toxic thought, because we have examples of why that doesn't work (see DNF) and once you get into that spiral it's better to just release what you had when you were originally finished, apologize, and take your lumps.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

Some of the discussion in the exalted thread has periodically speculated whether they're going down the same rabbit hole.

A couple of years ago (jfc) he was posting about nearly being done, putting up a preorder page on RPGNow. Up to right before he missed that particular launch date, he was talking about simultaneously laying out and writing the same chapter, creating art assets as he went, and there was still an entire chapter that was not even laid out, possibly not even finished writing.

Also, all the way back at the beginning, his original estimated delivery was some handful of months after the Kickstarter would finish. Some chapters weren't even finished being drafted at that point, and obviously a lot of the art wasn't either. He gave himself barely enough time to maybe meet his original deadline if everything went absolutely perfect.

He has always been (at best) delusional about Far West. All the more baffling considering he'd been writing and laying out books for some time before.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Like I've said before, I spent most of the Chuubo production process being sure we'd be done in a month or so, and being sure of this for over a year.

GMS is only really different in that he doesn't seem to be aware of the joke and keeps making confident pronouncements which then turn out to be wrong.

(Also he threatens to sue random fields in Iceland, which I guess is a fairly major difference.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That portapotty I posted will probably have more substance to it than this missing Far West chapter when it finally gets published. :shrek:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Like I've said before, I spent most of the Chuubo production process being sure we'd be done in a month or so, and being sure of this for over a year.

GMS is only really different in that he doesn't seem to be aware of the joke and keeps making confident pronouncements which then turn out to be wrong.

(Also he threatens to sue random fields in Iceland, which I guess is a fairly major difference.)

I think the principle difference is that he's an rear end in a top hat about it. Even after all these years and deadlines, he'd probably still have a much more robust number of faithful in his comment sections if he didn't harass patches of Iceland and act like "Where's the product I paid for? You're really late." was "an axe to grind." Sure, his was one of the first big RPG Kickstarters, but there are others nearly as hosed up for whatever reason that draw a lot less fire.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That Old Tree posted:

I think the principle difference is that he's an rear end in a top hat about it. Even after all these years and deadlines, he'd probably still have a much more robust number of faithful in his comment sections if he didn't harass patches of Iceland and act like "Where's the product I paid for? You're really late." was "an axe to grind." Sure, his was one of the first big RPG Kickstarters, but there are others nearly as hosed up for whatever reason that draw a lot less fire.

They draw less fire because you can't watch their creators just clearly blow off responsibilities and then, when called on it, they don't say sorry just needed some me time and go back to work (the correct response) instead they try to sue barns in Iceland, insult you, and generally act like they have no obligation to you even though you paid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Of course, if that's the case (wouldn't surprise me) then it completely ignores the idea that there's really no way to make a game that makes up for the years of excuses, lies, missed dates, blame shifting, and insults.

I honestly can't imagine anything he could do or put out that would make up for his behavior throughout this whole mess.

Oh yeah, totally. I mean, at this point even if he somehow managed to replace all his bad photoshop bruce lee art with actual decent stuff, have his writing and system be really solid, and deliver on the hardbacks, it still would be a laughingstock. There's just too many good kickstarters delivering at or before deadlines (Godbound and Fragged Empire for example) and plenty of mediocre ones that still manage an okay book that's "only" late by a year or two.

Also, what's the iceland thing? I must have missed that.