Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

fuckingtest posted:

More OSHA Florida Fun: http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/01/24/kendall-van-fire-leads-to-questions-about-illegal-gas-distribution/?e=v-G8g87qPgOnTw

Summary: Firefighters arrive to van on fire, you almost witness two being engulfed as the van happens to be full of gasoline. Why would a van be full of gasoline? you ask?

Seems like someone was stealing it and illegally (obviously) driving it around in (what looks like) 1 or 2 - 330 Gallon IBC's.

Is this loving always sunny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
At least they were caught before their wildcard cut the brake lines

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

MF_James posted:

Is this loving always sunny?

No. Sometimes its worse!

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

telcoM posted:

Different electric train systems have different voltage levels.

The minimum distance of 50-70 cm sounds about right for 25 000 volts systems, which is what is used in all new electric rail lines in Russia.

But according to Wikipedia, Russia has some old lines using only 3000 volts DC, which just might allow that kind of playing around, at least when the air is dry and the gloves are of the right type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_systems_for_electric_rail_traction

Apparently, tram systems tend to have much lower voltages: 750 volts DC seems to be almost standard for new trams, and some old systems are using just 600 volts DC.

I also notice that there is a cut between the chin-ups and the other stunts: it is possible that the chin-ups were done when the power to the overhead wire was switched off for some reason.

You can see that they're using twin contact wire system which would generally only be needed for a lower voltage DC system, so likely anywhere from 750V to 3kV - generally you don't need nearly as much copper in the air for a HV AC traction power system.

If that's the case, there's no real reason that they couldn't be doing chinups on live wiring as long as they're not creating a conductive path between wire/pantograph and car body (ie insulated gloves and/or boots)

Serak fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 26, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I love that the arms come down after the truck is hit and has been sitting there for a bit.

It's kind of like that vid where the guy got his head squashed in the industrial machine, sits there for a bit, a guy comes over to see what the gently caress happened, *comedy beat*.... and then the emergency light comes on.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Serak posted:

You can see that they're using twin contact wire system which would generally only be needed for a lower voltage DC system, so likely anywhere from 750V to 3kV - generally you don't need nearly as much copper in the air for a HV AC traction power system.

If that's the case, there's no real reason that they couldn't be doing chinups on live wiring as long as they're not creating a conductive path between wire/pantograph and car body (ie insulated gloves and/or boots)

Be aware that winter gloves, latex gloves, etc. are not the same as gloves made for working around live electrical equipment. A pinhole can mean the difference between life a death. Those gloves a specially made and tested (plus you need to have them checked and thrown out if the get too old.)

This is one reason we have stuff like the NEC and NESC. (He might have been OK despite the description... I sort of doubt it though.)

https://youtu.be/ppELGG5yRqQ :nws:

To be fair when I was a child I thought all the big power lines were insulated because I figured if little electrical cords were insulated surely the huge ones were too right? (They typically aren't.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 26, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
New USCSB report. :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1KaykPaF8M

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

they'v got that dusk vaporwave color scheme going i see

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

We had a meeting on wastewater treatment today

Employee: What if the tank is full and we can't transfer to the next tank because P-XXYY is down like it usually is?

VP: Just empty it into totes

*after meeting*

Emoloyees: He does know we just got cited for having too many totes out back already, like last week?

loving execs.

I've learned to never ask them questions like that because the response, to use your example, is far too often along the lines of "No, P-XXYY is not usually down. The company has put a lot of time and effort into P-XXYY, a system developed by people far more experienced at this sort of thing than any of you and we know, for a fact, that it works. Now, let's do this again - When a tank is full you transfer it to the next tank. This is your job."

And then, because you put them on the spot in public and they can't back down because they're a loving child, the exec goes and and issues a memo stating that when a tank is full it must be emptied into the next tank, making it policy. So, in the real world, the next time a tank is full and you can't empty it everything goes to hell because your hands are tied.

One example I can talk about from my work was the loving ridiculous situation with our exterior waste bins. Maintenance was putting bricks in the bottoms of waste bins around the site to stop them blowing away during storms. Smart move, right? No. One calm sunny day a piece of poo poo in a suit saw them doing it and forbade them from using bricks because "The bins don't blow away in the wind. That never happens."

Putting bricks in a bin was OH&S, but bins rolling around the site on windy days like garbage centrifuges spraying crap everywhere was apparently okey dokey.

Can you guess where this is going? It took the better part of a year and the company trialling massively oversized weighted steel bins which all rusted to poo poo because we're near the goddamn ocean before things were quietly changed to allow for 'internal weighting' to be added when deemed appropriate to the plastic bins we started with.

But no bricks. They're dangerous. Now we use irons bars. And, yes, they rust to hell, too. So now the bins are weighted down with rusty bits of metal which, I'm told, rip the garbage bags more often than not but nobody's game to say anything out of fear of what wonderful solution the higher ups come up with this time.

Also, they're not quite the bins we started with. You see, those had all been thrown away when we got the steel bins, so the company had to buy all new ones :ughh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

This is one reason we have stuff like the NEC and NESC. (He might have been OK despite the description... I sort of doubt it though.)

https://youtu.be/ppELGG5yRqQ :nws:

Man Electrocuted While Working on Top of a Wall in India (Shocking)

Thanks youtube title.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea that was a hosed up time to get a laugh out of me youtube vid

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Might be a 'shop, but I can't tell by the pixels.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Concrete.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
150 mph Rocket Knife

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

:perfect:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's awesome, way better than the 1000 degree knife, and i hope he does well with his channel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

that's awesome, way better than the 1000 degree knife, and i hope he does well with his channel

I hope he does not murder his brother by having him stand near the business end of some jury-rigged death machine.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dillbag posted:

Might be a 'shop, but I can't tell by the pixels.

Here's an article on the incident

They weren't even responding to a call at the time so they can't even say that smoke obscured their view or they were in a hurry or anything. They hit the overhead powerlines outside their own station when they were moving the bucket to pick up two costumed mascots in preparation for a parade.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A moment of nerdy levity. The concept of "Klingon OSHA" came up in one of the Star Trek threads:

Harveygod posted:

Please note that the Galactic Harmonized System for HazComm is now mandatory in the empire.

General Warning, your honor has been challenged:

Compressed photons:

Explosives may not be offered for transport aboard a starship:

Tar Monsters are hazardous to your health:

While not mandatory, communicating environmental hazards protects handsome races for future generations:

You can safely flail a batliff around if you want, but not get between me and the blood wine:

To prove to us that you are mortal, die:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is the last one the warning for fuckin magnets?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That tar monster one is ridiculous. Who would design something so silly and unclear? Like an international body would OK something so dumb.

Rest are cool.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
RIP.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

I hope he does not murder his brother by having him stand near the business end of some jury-rigged death machine.

That's what brothers are for.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P01zSWCniH8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How does this loving guy still have all his fingers?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

How does this loving guy still have all his fingers?

I also like that his lady friend holds the flowers while he tries to freeze them.

Edite: "these Ray-Bans will totally be enough protection" :downs:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powered Descent posted:

A moment of nerdy levity. The concept of "Klingon OSHA" came up in one of the Star Trek threads:

I like these warning signs for tomorrow:

https://lifeboat.com/ex/warning.signs.for.tomorrow

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
150 mph 1000 degree kitchen knife.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Volcott posted:

150 mph 1000 degree kitchen knife.

Yes, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RbQPhh7EyE

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

What the hell was he trying to accomplish?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

You can see him breath a sigh of relief before the ladder goes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just out of frame, moe and curly slapping the poo poo out of eachother.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RyokoTK posted:

No clue, I sadly have zero context to offer.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This is some Final Desitination poo poo where he uses his reaction time and wits to avoid becoming seriously injured, but fate just said "you're not getting out of this one buddy"

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RyokoTK posted:

I think that cable was supposed to hold the frame in place, but it wasn't thought through very well at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Apparently he's Russian, no surprises there. He reportedly broke his ankle in the fall: http://usa.onlinenigeria.com/news/165086-moscow-roofer-knocks-over-a-stack-of-beams-before-falling-off-his-ladder.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So the USA edition of a Nigerian website reports on a Russian accident.

What a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

We had a meeting on wastewater treatment today

Employee: What if the tank is full and we can't transfer to the next tank because P-XXYY is down like it usually is?

VP: Just empty it into totes

*after meeting*

Emoloyees: He does know we just got cited for having too many totes out back already, like last week?

Lol if you think a VIP care

telcoM posted:

Different electric train systems have different voltage levels.

The minimum distance of 50-70 cm sounds about right for 25 000 volts systems, which is what is used in all new electric rail lines in Russia.

But according to Wikipedia, Russia has some old lines using only 3000 volts DC, which just might allow that kind of playing around, at least when the air is dry and the gloves are of the right type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_systems_for_electric_rail_traction

Apparently, tram systems tend to have much lower voltages: 750 volts DC seems to be almost standard for new trams, and some old systems are using just 600 volts DC.

I also notice that there is a cut between the chin-ups and the other stunts: it is possible that the chin-ups were done when the power to the overhead wire was switched off for some reason.

D.C. Is also the cool and chill form of electric current you can smoke weed with. A.C. is sentient and hates all forms of life.