Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Desiden posted:

Also, what's the iceland thing? I must have missed that.

I can't remember if Wields Rulebook (I think?) just happened to mention Far West first, or if it was one of those times where Skarka barged into a social justice conversation to be a big whiny straight white male at everyone and WR snarked about Far West. In any case, WR said something mean about Far West in some G+ thread. This constitutes a harassment campaign, so Skarka started implying legal repercussions and knowledge of WR's address, but he was just being a terrible internet detective and mouthing off. One of the places he "uncovered" was some farm or something in the middle of nowhere.

At some point GMS sent some sort of legal bluster to some address, and this guy who wasn't WR who got it came to the G+ thread to tell everyone they were weird nerds and to please stop sending him bullshit.

This is all on top of the fact that legally speaking there was absolutely no way anything would possibly happen in an international suit of US Citizen vs Snarky Internet Comments.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It was adorable how GMS thought he had finally got that darn internet commenter who said bad thing about how he wasn't working because he had knocked off work for at least a day to track him down and got... a barn, not even a barn the person in question had ever even been to, just a barn.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I can't remember if Wields Rulebook (I think?) just happened to mention Far West first, or if it was one of those times where Skarka barged into a social justice conversation to be a big whiny straight white male at everyone and WR snarked about Far West. In any case, WR said something mean about Far West in some G+ thread. This constitutes a harassment campaign, so Skarka started implying legal repercussions and knowledge of WR's address, but he was just being a terrible internet detective and mouthing off. One of the places he "uncovered" was some farm or something in the middle of nowhere.

At some point GMS sent some sort of legal bluster to some address, and this guy who wasn't WR who got it came to the G+ thread to tell everyone they were weird nerds and to please stop sending him bullshit.

This is all on top of the fact that legally speaking there was absolutely no way anything would possibly happen in an international suit of US Citizen vs Snarky Internet Comments.

It was RulebookHeavily, yeah. GMS was trying to pull an internet toughguy thing and (as is often the case in these situations) it blew up in his face.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Obligatory Is Far West Out Yet?

The kickstarter was in 2011.

It is the year 2017 and he is upset people are calling him late.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

1851 days? 1851 days! If you had a kid born at the same time as the ending of this kickstarter, they'd be entering school.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In other news, there's another fantasy heist RPG kickstarting, although it looks a bit more lighthearted than Blades in the Dark.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

In other news, there's another fantasy heist RPG kickstarting, although it looks a bit more lighthearted than Blades in the Dark.

On the one hand, I love fantasy thievery-centric games going all the way back to Thief: the Dark Project. On the other hand I have to say that Rodney Thompson's gameography is a bit more miss than hit as far as I'm concerned...his biggest pro is that he was lead designer for the 4E version of Dark Sun which was rad, but after that it's like D&D Next, Star Wars SAGA, Lords of Waterdeep, ehhhhhhh.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I'm backing cuz my boy Spencer is in the preview vid. Not that he's a mark of a good gaming system as a long time Shadowrun/Pathfinder guy.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
I'm interested in how it plays, but not interested enough to watch an hour and a half long preview video. Does anyone have any insight into the system?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

I got an email for a Midgard update but I've never heard of it before.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I got the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that since Kobold Press prints stuff for 13th age it's because of that.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My copy of Apocalypse world 2nd edition arrived today! That makes it something like the 8th or 9th kickstarter I've pledged to, had fulfilled, and read since I pledged to Project: Dark.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Tab Creations, makers of Against the Dark Yogi and Shadows over Sol, have a Kickstarter for their new game, Dime Adventures. I have really loved all their other games, so I may be up backing this, but I feel like the alternate early 20th century is fairly over done. That said, they do find ways to put creative spins on all their products.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Hurrah! Dark is the Night got funded!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I dunno if anyone saw that there's a Torchbearer expansion on KS. It's already funded and stuff but there's still time to get in on it if Torchbearer is your thing. I figured maybe everyone missed it, or that nobody actually wanted to play it, but then I thought hey wait we're always on about Far West and nobody actually wants that either.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

MollyMetroid posted:

I dunno if anyone saw that there's a Torchbearer expansion on KS. It's already funded and stuff but there's still time to get in on it if Torchbearer is your thing. I figured maybe everyone missed it, or that nobody actually wanted to play it, but then I thought hey wait we're always on about Far West and nobody actually wants that either.

Someone said that Torchbearer KS backers get the PDF of this for free. Is that true?

Either way, I want the physical book, so I backed.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

I got the same thing. The only thing I can think of is that since Kobold Press prints stuff for 13th age it's because of that.

That's weird. I have backed previous Midgard Kickstarters, and I didn't get anything.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
In another amazing Far West update, even though this apparently happened:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I say this drat near every time, but GMS released the first eight or nine chapters to backers ages ago. The crunch was done. Yeah, it was lovely d20-with-aspects but they were done! And the setting was written by someone else so presumably that was done too.

Now the reason for not releasing the manuscript at the end of the year was apparently because meanie backers would revenge pirate it if he did:

Far West KS comments posted:

On twitter GM Skarka defended himself against the accusation that his failure to release the manuscript was not just a case of him making a wrong statement but was a lie with this series of tweets (edited for readability):
"My reason: I was told, flat-out, that the manuscript would be posted publicly by an angry backer. Maybe that's not a good enough reason. I'll cop to that. So, you're right. I'm just going to get this thing done and delivered."

Then, when asked if he thought the final product wouldn't be pirated, he replied
"Yeah, I'm sure it probably will be. I know this probably won't make sense to you, but: If it's going to be, I'd rather it be the finished thing that I'm proud of, rather than a raw manuscript. I don't expect you to understand that. I'm not sure I entirely do myself."

So yes, he broke his promise to release the manuscript because he would rather only the finished product get pirated, not an incomplete product, and he acknowledges that this broken promise was a lie and not just a case of him being wrong.

I really wonder how much of this is an actual ramification of the Trump Era. Having proven that blatantly lying will "work" (for a certain definition thereof) even in the face of objective evidence to the contrary, it may not just be the racists, plutocrats, and general idiots who are "emboldened" by the new regime.

Desiden fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 27, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, I saw that the other day.

Hey, Gareth? You know which games end up getting pirated? All of them. Stop acting like you're some singled-out victim! :argh:

As for this being a Trump Era thing...he's been pulling this poo poo for over five years now. But's never his fault. It's this guy's fault and that guy's fault and RPGNet's fault and that guy on Twitter's fault and so-and-so on G+'s fault and and and

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
The list of board games I've missed out by a hair is getting infuriating. Gloomhaven, KDM, 7th continent, this war of mine, ... Never again, I will now subscribe to all the things

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I'm pretty sure Gloomhaven is going to be available in stores.

7th Continent, on the other hand...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure Gloomhaven is going to be available in stores.

Yarp.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Also Gloomhaven's latest blog post talks about gearing up to reprint it soon, that and the Founders of Gloomhaven prequel euro game are his goals for this year while he sees what everyone thinks of the game.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Saw that gloomhaven link (and gamesteward has TWOM) but the preorders that keep popping up are like 60% of that price. Coming from PC gaming world this scarcity is annoying!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The Blades in the Dark backerkit is apparently going to be sent out tomorrow, so it looks like its on schedule to all be out and done by February or March! :woop:

Apparently John Harper is going to do something interesting with some backer rewards, too. It doesn't seem confidential, so I'll just quote it here:

quote:

Portraits and Custom Factions

I've been looking at other kickstarters, and frankly, the way that backer portraits and backer-created content is used is often pretty lackluster. As I reviewed the area in the book for the custom portraits and factions, I realized I was making the same mistake: simply cramming them in the back of the book, to check them off the to-do list. But you deserve better!

My plan now is to feature the backer content as special material in the Bluecoats supplement. The portraits will be designed as wanted posters, with additional information like the name of the scoundrel and their crimes (which you will create). The custom factions will be featured as the starting situation for Bluecoat characters, representing a set of dangerous underworld organizations that have been targeted by a City Watch task force.

By putting your content in its own special supplement, I hope to shine a spotlight on it and inspire Blades players to actually use the material in their game, rather than dumping it in an appendix in the back of the book and forgetting about it. I want your portraits and factions to be a vital part of the game, not just a cute add-on.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

Someone said that Torchbearer KS backers get the PDF of this for free. Is that true?

Either way, I want the physical book, so I backed.

Yes. They already sent out a link for the draft download.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
While I'm pretty happy I finally got my Gloomhaven pledge this week, the fact that it has stickers/legacy components and it'll cost me another 120$ to reset is a bit concerning. On the plus side, it's dense enough and has enough crap that I probably won't have to reset for a very long time.
But hey, at least this kickstarter didn't whiff too bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Was the legacy aspect something they had from the beginning, or was that added later? Does it have a non-legacy pay campaign or something?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

It was definitely there before the KS closed, don't know about from day1.

You can play individual adventures as one-shots without the campaign stuff and not need the stickers. I'm thinking about laminating my character cards and using tape or something for the character upgrades. Maybe something similar w the board. That is, if I ever get people to commit to a campaign, let alone want to play it multiple times.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I don't have my copy yet but I've been reading up on it. You put stickers on the map to represent new scenario areas you've discovered, and put tiny upgrade stickers on your player class abilities to power them up. The intention is all future players of that class benefit from your work, and future adventurers know where the dungeons are because you discovered them for all. I'm curious if there are enough stickers to max everything if your players keep playing the same classes from the same box over multiple campaigns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gloomhaven Kickstarter Campaign Page posted:

It's a grim but lucrative business being a mercenary out on the edge of civilization. You must explore the harsh wilderness and engage in deep tactical combat, where the decisions you make have an impact not only on your own character, but also the world around you.

Gloomhaven is cooperative game of card-driven combat set in a persistent fantasy campaign which will change and grow as you play the game.

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

I have more than one game group, so I'm not happy about the permanent elements. How can I play with multiple game groups?

You can absolutely play the game with more than one game group. One of the central ideas of Gloomhaven is that you can play in the same world state with multiple groups and there is enough content and non-linear story elements to do so. You'll never need to "reset" because you'll be excited about how playing the game with some new group will continue unlocking stuff in the world you already spent so much time customizing.

But if you ABSOLUTELY HATE STICKERS, we will still make available a printable PDF on BGG with everything you'd need to reset the game. At this time there are no plans to include any accommodations in the base box, however, because it is still against the intention of the game.

So yeah, the legacy elements were pretty much intended from the beginning.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fair enough, then. I didn't back or anything so I was just curious. I mean, it seems like a game I'd really enjoy but getting a group to go through it on the regular isn't likely.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Gloomhaven arrived on my doorstop today and it's huge and amazing. A smaller subset of my group just started playing Risk Legacy, so I think Gloomhaven will sneak in right after we're done with that.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Agrias120 posted:

Gloomhaven arrived on my doorstop today and it's huge and amazing. A smaller subset of my group just started playing Risk Legacy, so I think Gloomhaven will sneak in right after we're done with that.

It's hard to understate how enraged I am that the Australian copies are STILL sitting with the distributor a week later. I know it doesn't actually matter but at the same time I am all aboard the hype train.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Radio Free Walrus posted:

While I'm pretty happy I finally got my Gloomhaven pledge this week, the fact that it has stickers/legacy components and it'll cost me another 120$ to reset is a bit concerning. On the plus side, it's dense enough and has enough crap that I probably won't have to reset for a very long time.
But hey, at least this kickstarter didn't whiff too bad.

By reset do you mean buy a new copy? It seems like other than than the map none of the legacy elements would be very hard to reset.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Please post non-spoiler pictures of your Gloomhaven sets! I live in Europe so I'll have to wait a while for my copy to arrive.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

By reset do you mean buy a new copy? It seems like other than than the map none of the legacy elements would be very hard to reset.

Mainly the map w/ stickers was my big concern. With the character sheets something like lamination + marker would probably be sufficient, but I've had terrible experiences with adhesives recently - I became half adheisve when we were trying to do some ceiling painting.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Please post non-spoiler pictures of your Gloomhaven sets! I live in Europe so I'll have to wait a while for my copy to arrive.

I can post some up in the morning. I have to figure out which miniatures are actually 'spoiler', since you unlock some during play. I know the the necrothulu looking picture is unlocked later, but that's the only one I know for sure.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Radio Free Walrus posted:

Mainly the map w/ stickers was my big concern. With the character sheets something like lamination + marker would probably be sufficient, but I've had terrible experiences with adhesives recently - I became half adheisve when we were trying to do some ceiling painting.

I can post some up in the morning. I have to figure out which miniatures are actually 'spoiler', since you unlock some during play. I know the the necrothulu looking picture is unlocked later, but that's the only one I know for sure.

If the character is unlocked during play, the big box for that character is sealed with a red sticker.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
My copy of Gloomhaven, with reference 6-quart slow cooker:

After I unboxed and punched out the 17 sheets of cardboard tokens and standees:

And understand that all the cards and character stuff is still in the box there and I couldn't get a great angle on it to show just how much of that there is. But...1700 cards and 17 character classes in total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's hard to understate how enraged I am that the Australian copies are STILL sitting with the distributor a week later. I know it doesn't actually matter but at the same time I am all aboard the hype train.

I got a delivery note from Aetherworks yesterday and I hope to get it tomorrow. "Working from home" from 3!