Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Dude. Stay away from the ocean. You're liable to end up in a whale's belly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I don't know I'd you have a real IRS office near you but in my experience they deal very well with bizarre scenarios

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You should really change your username to Murphy's Law

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I got other poo poo going on too!

I made Dean's List last semester! But I'm also on academic probation because I did pretty poorly at my last school (and going back to school immediately after getting back from Iraq ended up being a mistake).

My school has an academic forgiveness policy where you can apply to have your Fs (and also your Ds if you ask nicely) removed from your GPA calculation, so I applied.

I got a letter back saying they had to deny my application because, per state policy, I needed to have a five year break from being a full time student and I had a mere four years, eight months, and three weeks. I looked up the state policy and the state policy is only four years.

So I went to my advisor with the letter and a copy of the state's policy and said "if it's a school policy, then the school can make an exception. But they're saying it's a state policy, and I figure you know how to be more diplomatic than me marching into the registrar's office and saying 'you're wrong, gently caress you.'"

So a couple weeks go by and he writes me back saying "so I looked into it and it turns out that the five year thing is an institutional policy, and the state policy says the institution can be more stringent if they choose. Maybe we can contact your old school and see if they can do anything on their end?"

I wrote back and said "my old school won't care, I'm not giving them money anymore. Also their forgiveness policy is 'retake a class to replace a bad grade. Oh and you can only do this for 12 credit hours.' Can't we ask about the school making an exception, since this is their policy? What can I possibly have learned in that three months and a week that I didn't learn from the other four years and nine months? It's like I'm being punished for coming back to school too soon. It seems like they're hiding behind the state policy to dissuade me from pursuing anything, making it seem like they're suggesting it's out of their hands."

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

The Rat posted:

You can't stay away from the ocean, it's coming for us all.

On the bright side, by the time it gets to us, the whales will probably be extinct.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

When picking a school do a bit of research into how vet friendly they are. Some schools don't give a gently caress while some schools actively work towards and cater specifically towards vets. I cannot recommend enough that any of you should try to go to FSU. It is seriously one of the most vet friendly schools in the country. I disagree with the university president on a lot of grounds, but he's a vet as well and makes sure that they bend over backwards for us as much as possible.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah, there's a big difference between schools that are actively looking for veterans and those that aren't. In Philly, Drexel makes a huge noise about their veteran-friendly status, and being there is great. Full unlimited yellow ribbon (which is fantastic in medical school), frequent free lunches for vets associated with on-campus recruiting and networking functions, a nicely appointed vet lounge, and registrars that understand GI Bill issues. Couldn't ask for more.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
How does Gi Bill eligibility get calculated? I lost 7.5 months of eligibility from last semester which was only 4.5 months of class.

Also I have a voc rehab appointment next week, can that take effect this semester to save some eligibility? I want to hoard my gi bill for grad school.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

How does Gi Bill eligibility get calculated? I lost 7.5 months of eligibility from last semester which was only 4.5 months of class.

Also I have a voc rehab appointment next week, can that take effect this semester to save some eligibility? I want to hoard my gi bill for grad school.

VOC rehab will burn your 9/11 benefits, but it is still a better deal all round if you qualify. You get an extra 12 months of benefits, and they cover your expenses for supplies (including computers and the like)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So my advisor suggested I talk to the registrar, so I went over there and after a lot of back and forth, I was told that the state minimum for academic forgiveness is, indeed, four years but they also let schools set stricter policies, and the school's policy is five.

"Is there some life lesson the school expects me to have learned in the three months I'm short of that I didn't already learn in the preceding four years and nine months?" I asked.

"I can't address that," she said. Basically saying that the policy is the policy, nothing can be done.

"Is there an appeals process?" I ask. There is! And I'm told how to pursue it. "Why isn't this information in the letter you sent me?" I asked.

"Students usually come and ask after they get the letter," I'm told. Basically "we didn't tell you because you didn't ask."

So I go over to the advising assistance center to get the forms and see I need my advisor's signature too, so I take the forms to get his signature.

Turns out that during his back-and-forth with the registrar's office on this, they never told him there was an appeals process either.

What the unholy gently caress.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's an intentionally unhelpful motherfucker.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

That's an intentionally unhelpful motherfucker.

My department is amazing and I had an amazing fall semester.

But the registrar's office almost had me telling them that I'm withdrawing from school SMDFTB.

I was pretty angry.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think it was Mr. Nice that said something about vet friendly schools, and he's right.

My school is super vet friendly and will bend over backwards for you. I had a real oddity of a problem and as soon as veteran was mentioned every one automatically jumped through hoops to make poo poo happen. They are even refurbishing a building and turning it into a vet center, and it's a pretty small school.

Unfortunately the majority of the actual vets are insufferable motard gently caress nuts who can't let go of the military but I don't have to interact them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
My tuition gets paid on time-ish, I get grant money, and nobody bothers me about the military.

Just the way I like it.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Vet lounges are pretty awesome because they are usually quiet and have a bunch of empty chairs and couches. The only downside is you may have to deal with the occasional veteran. The school I was at had vets who were students working in an office to get the VA paper work pushed through and handled. I worked in it and we bent over backwards to get everything worked out personally. Having people who know the little tricks and who to call and all the other important stuff makes a world of difference.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

not caring here posted:

Unfortunately the majority of the actual vets are insufferable motard gently caress nuts who can't let go of the military but I don't have to interact them.

This keeps me from being active in our student veterans club, but I show up often enough that they don't question me when I wander in for the occasional free meal.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I felt slightly guilty about taking food and drinks from my school's vet lounge so I started attending club meetings. It's pretty chill; next month we've reserved a box for a minor league hockey game and we're going to volunteer at a local halfway house serving a meal.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Im one of maybe two vets at my school. The other guy starts every sentence with "when I was in the corps..." and I can't loving stand it.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

"when I was in the corps..."

"....i sucked a lot of dicks"

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
man last semester i lost basically a letter grade in my one class for "professionalism" for using my cell phone during class even though that wasn't listed as a qualifier for grading in the syllabus for the professionalism category

poo poo burns me up because kids could wear santa hats during class because but probably werent docked and professionalism poo poo is such bullshit and arbitrary and I tried to argue that poo poo with the prof last semester and I'm sure he thinks i'm pyschotic now

anyhow this year we switched to digital books so I just sent him this

"I noticed that during recent classes that when students were asked to follow along in the textbook, many students pulled out their personal tablets and computers, and one student very much so a phone. Can I follow along in the class this year using the Android app for pipeline on my cell phone or will be I knocked another letter grade for "professionalism"

Last semester left me confused on what the concept of "professionalism" is so I'm sorry I need to ask you about this but it's better to be safe than sorry I guess.

Thanks,

YOUR BUTT"

i'm the worst student

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 29, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
maybe edit out your name

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
also i shouldn't send poorly edited emails while drunk to my profs but gently caress them :twisted:

gonna leave them thinking them i might go crazy :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Don't bite the hand that feeds.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Pesticide20 posted:

maybe edit out your name

thanks buddy

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

TBeats posted:

Don't bite the hand that feeds.

gently caress these people i hate this program I hate everything

my homework and test scores are practically immaculate and I'm just crusading against dumb imagined sleights because I loving hate everything and trump is president and I cant do poo poo and I'm in a perpetual state of raging against the machine

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

no problem, battle

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
This seems like one of those principled stands that might not turn out to be worth it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
its just arbitrary

it makes me mad

if you dont want cell phones in class and will dock people for it say that

dont say "PROFESSIONALISM" whlie allowing fat kids in santa hats or whatever

half the time i was googling class poo poo because i'll be damned if i'll do anything on a work/school computer

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
like i GET IT
but its arbitrary and I got my only B instead of straight As from that and this poo poo school pisses me off

saw a disabled kid eat poo poo on a sidewalk they wont clean the ice off of

they pile all the snow in parking pass spots while the metered spots are immaculate

i'm in north idaho and wish i was in NYC rioting or whatever and I know I can't do poo poo here without fear of getting lynched so I'm just picking small battles

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I just get Walter on them.

"MY BUDDIES DIDNT DIE FACE DOWN IN THE MUCK, SO YOU CAN TELL ME HOW TO HANDLE MY SOCIAL ANXIETIES EXACERBATED BY YEARS OF MILITARY AND COMBAT SERVICE IN A CLASSROOM WHERE I AM TRYING TO INTEGRATE INTO SOCIETY AND EVERYONE ELSE IS ALSO USING THEIR PHONES YOU GODDAMN IDIOT."

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
but like PROFESSIONALISM

dont come at me with that poo poo.

if I were to grade on PROFESSIONALISM in a COLLEGE enviroment can i knock kids for having facial hair? Hats indoors? It's all bullshit. It just is what he doesnt like and its anybodys guess and thats bullshit. I'm probably going to take it to a dean actually. It really bothers me. Kick me out IDGAF I'm just here for something to do lol

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I wouldn't dream of using a cell phone in class. Even in my bottom-basic community college classes it was taken as a sign of disrespect to the teacher, and almost every class syllabus I've gotten has explicitly warned against it. That doesn't stop a couple people from texting away, obviously, but but most don't. I'd take it as a lesson learned and not antagonize whoever's giving you your grades.

e: participation/"professionalism" grades in lecture courses are horseshit anyway but man don't break out your cell phone in class. It's begging for some put-upon professor in a point-making mood to gently caress you over.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 29, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

like i GET IT
but its arbitrary and I got my only B instead of straight As from that and this poo poo school pisses me off

saw a disabled kid eat poo poo on a sidewalk they wont clean the ice off of

they pile all the snow in parking pass spots while the metered spots are immaculate

i'm in north idaho and wish i was in NYC rioting or whatever and I know I can't do poo poo here without fear of getting lynched so I'm just picking small battles

Come south. I did a story on my school and the International Center for Students actually held a meeting for every transfer student and helped them understand what just happened and what was going to happen. SoCal is super laid back.

My laptop should be in this week :)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i wont do it during actual lecture but I only did it when it was a student deraling the class with offtopic poo poo or during youtube videos

which by the way I think trying to teach me with youtube videos is straight bullshit.

i have other classes I wouldn't dream of doing it, I get the disrespect but if you're wasting my time with dumb SNL videos during class or youtube videos of ppt because you can't be bothered to be teach then I'll put about as much effort in respect to you as a teacher as you are to me as a paying student

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I get it about professionalism and id tell the teacher you want to appeal it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i have other classes I wouldn't dream of doing it, I get the disrespect but if you're wasting my time with dumb SNL videos during class or youtube videos of ppt because you can't be bothered to be teach then I'll put about as much effort in respect to you as a teacher as you are to me as a paying student

Jesus. And you have to take another class with this clown?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I don't do something super obvious on my phone. I don't really play games anymore on it. But if I wanna check my email or stream the e league major like Thursday/Friday, I turn the brightness down low and off automatic so only I can see it and it's all black of you're more than a few feet away. And don't use sound of course.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also I am super fidgety with my hands and need something to tinker and play with. So the teachers know if they see me with it that I am listening, and can answer when called upon. I usually tell them at the beginning of the semester and get paper work stuff to the disability center to back me up.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I'll put it this way. If I miss 6 1 hour classes during the 16 weeks, 3 times a week. I get an F regardless if I ace everything. Half a letter grade per absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i have like another year with this guy.

he rubs me completely the wrong way. it's an IT course and he just spends an hour a day on 5 transcender questions. the whole class is just transcender questions prep for a certification we actually don't get. it's total horse poo poo. I don't have to do poo poo other than memorize the test software. it's the laziest class and it pisses me off because the only reason I didn't get an A+ was from missing like 3 days of class due to like my severe depression poo poo and apparently because I used my cellphone.

I did like army rules of using a phone. Not like SGM is giving a briefing i'm using my phone poo poo but like, we're dicking off or obviously this is bullshit no one cares. If I had pulled out my personal laptop I wouldn't have got knocked. It's dumb. It's just dumb. This class is a dumb waste and I'm wasting my GI bill here and it makes me so mad mainly because people are paying money or loans for this poo poo.