Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

That brought me to the news that there's an adaptation of Larry Niven's "Inconstant Moon" coming out.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/arrival-producers-plan-new-sci-fi-film-director-james-ponsoldt-968523

It's funny because for some reason I was just thinking of this story not too long ago, years after having read it.

It will be funny if this ends up becoming Niven's first big-screen adaptation after Ringworld being in development hell for decades.

There's a '90s Outer Limits adaptation of that story with Michael Gross as the astronomer protagonist. I remember it being pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Skwirl posted:

Nah, Bay is probably Hollywood liberal, but also realizes fascism pays better. His most humanist film (The Island) was also his only commercial failure, and then he re-used clips from it in Transformers 3, his most right wing film, there's gotta be at least some self-awareness going on there.

isn't his benghazi film the most right wing?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

isn't his benghazi film the most right wing?
Yeah. Dumbass lawmakers were citing it as evidence that Hillary lust for the death of ARE TROOPS.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Yeah. Dumbass lawmakers were citing it as evidence that Hillary lust for the death of ARE TROOPS.

Hilary is not portrayed nor even mentioned nor even implied to exist in the film, it's almost an entirely apolitical retelling of the events

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Forgot to post this one: Michael Bay's next movie will be set in a future where America's economy tanked and there is a mass migration of Americans to China. The story will be about an American-Chinese ex-Marine being hired by a Chinese billionaire to rescue his daughter in an American ghetto.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/universal-wins-bidding-war-michael-bay-produced-script-trump-like-dystopia-968359

This sounds loving amazing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Nah, Bay is probably Hollywood liberal, but also realizes fascism pays better. His most humanist film (The Island) was also his only commercial failure, and then he re-used clips from it in Transformers 3, his most right wing film, there's gotta be at least some self-awareness going on there.

We're finally at the point where a grown man, aged 51, who's directed a dozen major films that are consistent aesthetically and present a fairly coherent ideology is acknowledged as being possibly self aware on the something awful forums. It's a great day.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Guys, I think film school graduate and director of a dozen films has ... infused? his films with something just below the text. Almost like, subtext?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What is the subtext of the resident evil and under world movies tho

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

"shootin' zombies is rad"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

"I have a hot wife"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Wandle Cax posted:

Hilary is not portrayed nor even mentioned nor even implied to exist in the film, it's almost an entirely apolitical retelling of the events

Vilerat was changed from a PC gamer, console console gamer. Plenty political!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Skwirl posted:

That's a pretty big assumption to make considering the political cluelessness of hollywood and people in general.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't that because stuntmen got injured doing the stunt and rather than do another take he just reused old footage that was close enough?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Not directly but there are uncaring non-soldier types there as stand-ins to confirm the fever dreams of rural morons that the Obama administration callously left them to die because reasons. I'm not accusing Bay of making right wing propaganda on purpose, but what he did make is highly irresponsible and inaccurate.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Casimir Radon posted:

Not directly but there are uncaring non-soldier types there as stand-ins to confirm the fever dreams of rural morons that the Obama administration callously left them to die because reasons. I'm not accusing Bay of making right wing propaganda on purpose, but what he did make is highly irresponsible and inaccurate.

That's not what happens in the film.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's a pretty big assumption to make considering the political cluelessness of hollywood and people in general.

Well, yeah, whether or not Bay is self-aware that his movies play out exactly like Paul Verhoeven's Hollywood cycle but with better cinematography is irrelevant to the ultimate dilemma, which is whether people can pay attention.

For instance, 13 Hours is a spiritual sequel to Tropic Thunder.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

13 Hours is great - the running theme in the film is that all violence can be avoided if people are willing to communicate with one another. They even manage to quiet the fighting for a bit because one of their local allies asked the attackers to stop.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

Well, yeah, whether or not Bay is self-aware that his movies play out exactly like Paul Verhoeven's Hollywood cycle but with better cinematography is irrelevant to the ultimate dilemma, which is whether people can pay attention.

Right, like Casmur omits that 'the uncaring nonsoldier types' criticized in the film are the motherfucking CIA. It buys into this 'pro-/anti-Hillary' narrative, when the film is not 'apolitical' but actually political - political in a sense that's distinct from idiot partisanship.

The film is overtly and explicitly about how the entire concept of putting a CIA base in Libya was hosed from the beginning because of the basic ideological stance that the Libyan people are to be understood as potential enemies. There are multiple scenes underlining that there was always potential help just outside the gate of their crumbling palace. It's in that context that US air support is presented as impossibly far away.

13 Hours has basically the exact same narrative as Deepwater Horizon, with The CIA in the same role as British Petroleum. It's not a 'Republican film'.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, like Casmur omits that 'the uncaring nonsoldier types' criticized in the film are the motherfucking CIA. It buys into this 'pro-/anti-Hillary' narrative, when the film is not 'apolitical' but actually political - political in a sense that's distinct from idiot partisanship.

The film is overtly and explicitly about how the entire concept of putting a CIA base in Libya was hosed from the beginning because of the basic ideological stance that the Libyan people are to be understood as potential enemies. There are multiple scenes underlining that there was always potential help just outside the gate of their crumbling palace. It's in that context that US air support is presented as impossibly far away.

13 Hours has basically the exact same narrative as Deepwater Horizon, with The CIA in the same role as British Petroleum. It's not a 'Republican film'.

And in that context "are troops" (and middle managing forums moderators or whatever) WERE hung out to dry, by sending them there in the first place and inoculating them against "going native" by teaching them that Libyans are just another virulent sand people out to get us. They were never getting anything but a Black Hawk Down scenario because that's all they expected and prepared for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a completely understated little story about having a "skin problem". The assumption is that the character was born with a genetic deformity that makes him brutal and animalistic

Which iirc IS his comic backstory, complicated by his adoptive aunt (?) abusing him for his behavior issues and the social isolation she faced as the parent of a "monster"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
ISTR hearing that Bay is IRL a Republican voter and all- though I suppose even he might be thinking "Okay Trump's a bridge too far".

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There was an interview he did when 13 Hours came out where he was asked about his politics, and the only answer he would give was that he was raised in a Democrat household.

Edit: found it

quote:

"You'll want to stay away from politics," he cautions. "I'll never talk about my politics." That said, he adds quickly, his films are "not conservative. I grew up in a Democratic household, all right? But I stay away from politics because I think a lot of the world resents Hollywood talking about politics – the normal mom-and-pops."

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 26, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Robot Style posted:

There was an interview he did when 13 Hours came out where he was asked about his politics, and the only answer he would give was that he was raised in a Democrat household.

Edit: found it

A meaningless statement for a wealthy adult

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Which iirc IS his comic backstory, complicated by his adoptive aunt (?) abusing him for his behavior issues and the social isolation she faced as the parent of a "monster"

They do a little bit of it in the cartoon, too, with the carny motif. But SS goes right for it and racializes the concept to the degree that it contrasts him with two upwardly mobile black characters.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

A meaningless statement for a wealthy adult

well in the context of a discussion about whether a director is a self-avowed republican or democrat, its interesting to have a quote where Bay outright states that his films are "not conservative" & makes a point of the fact that he was raised in a democrat household.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Something like 90% of people vote the opposite of what their parents did though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

Something like 90% of people vote the opposite of what their parents did though.

Yeah, saying that you were raised as something doesn't mean you're still that something. Can depend on your own socioeconomic status or simply your relationship with your parents. Lots of people raised religious turn into gently caress You Dad atheists.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
you could also be meant to infer that he understands the other perspective.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

This is not only untrue it's gibberish. If your parents don't vote straight ticket or change parties, what's "the opposite" of that? How could this possibly result in states that consistently vote for one party over decades? If the ideology of the parties is not static, how do you determine the "opposite" of your parents? Just total nonsense.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Do you have a source for this?

The only recent study I'm finding is from 2005 and it says the opposite of this, but is only for teens 13-17. 71% of teens reported sharing the same political beliefs as their parents.

e: and 25% of kids with liberal parents claim to be more liberal than their parents, while 4% claim to be more conservative.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 26, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

precision posted:

poo poo, why not say 99%?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have it on good authority that 100% of children do the opposite of what their parents want, therefore,

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dont even fink about it posted:

I have it on good authority that 100% of children do the opposite of what their parents want, therefore,

We can save the world by all voting for trump then breeding like crazy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll admit it wasn't a good joke, but was it that hard to identify as a joke?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

precision posted:

Your name tricked me!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Sorry I live in a world where Trump is president and alt facts are a thing. I get jumpy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

Goons

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We can no longer afford jokes.

This is not one of said jokes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Fallen Rib
I seemed to remember reading somewhere that the Transformers made during the Bush years have a president who is very proactive and a bit of an action hero, while the transformer movies made during Obama's time as president feature a president who is cowardly and stupid. I don't know how true this is because I stopped watching the Transformer movies ages ago.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Madkal posted:

I seemed to remember reading somewhere that the Transformers made during the Bush years have a president who is very proactive and a bit of an action hero, while the transformer movies made during Obama's time as president feature a president who is cowardly and stupid. I don't know how true this is because I stopped watching the Transformer movies ages ago.

a grand total of one transformers movie came out during the bush administration and iirc the president wasn't even a character in it so i dunno what you read but you're probably misremembering something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dubya in Transformers was on Air Force One and liked ding dongs.

• Locked thread