Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Idk dude, I'm really enjoying my $12 Chicago express and even my $100 food chain magnate games, compared to the $100 tau mech I also bought. That continues to sit in the box unpainted while I get utility from working on these gundam figures that have an internal skeleton.

I nearly bought a gundam model last week

couldnt decide what to start with though; man they were such good value though!

Saint Drogo posted:

my only takeaway from this thread is that people who Give GW Money are much happier, in general :ohdear:

???

Iceclaw posted:

You said otherwise last night! :grin:

*blushes spookily*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheChirurgeon posted:

what dudes are you working on?

I got the Bearguy P and almost done with the RG from seed I got from HK 4 years ago lol. Finally getting an airbrush compressor so I'm excited to try it out on these. But first I will build the Ork stompa a friend gave to me as a gift to practice on since at least any mistakes there will be fine.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I nearly bought a gundam model last week

couldnt decide what to start with though; man they were such good value though!
The Bearguy series (there's even a panda and a dad with kid) is a good one to start with. Or jump right in with real grade featuring internal skellingtons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think I was looking at HG kits

very cool!

Are there any skeleton gundams?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Moola posted:

I think I was looking at HG kits

very cool!

Are there any skeleton gundams?

Don't assemble the head and you can get a scrunt.

There's also a skull themed weapon pack. :skeltal:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Welp, looks like I just found the pieces I need to place on the "Rebels" Ghost ship.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wanna get that skelly bot

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chill la Chill posted:

I got the Bearguy P and almost done with the RG from seed I got from HK 4 years ago lol. Finally getting an airbrush compressor so I'm excited to try it out on these. But first I will build the Ork stompa a friend gave to me as a gift to practice on since at least any mistakes there will be fine.

RGs are really cool, but after doing a few, I can't go back to HGs. They just feel so boring to build compared to RG now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

RGs are really cool, but after doing a few, I can't go back to HGs. They just feel so boring to build compared to RG now.

:agreed: But until they make an Acguy RG, no real choice. Also, looking at your av, I was just chatting @ moola that I'm gonna get some sort of gundam to make into a fantastic Jojo character. The boots and high fashion huge shoulders already fit

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm gonna order a Crossbones HG tomorrow probably

*broods robotically*

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Moola posted:

*broods robotically*

that thing is rad as gently caress

e: is the cape made of cloth though? eww

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Saint Drogo posted:

my only takeaway from this thread is that people who Give GW Money are much happier, in general :ohdear:

In the sense that "ignorance is happiness I guess".

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Is Mantic going to release models for Firefight

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Moola posted:

*broods robotically*

They made a Gundam look like the guy from Gurran Lagen, the snake is eating its tail.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Bad Moon posted:

They made a Gundam look like the guy from Gurran Lagen, the snake is eating its tail.

gently caress it had never occurred to me to look for a gurren lagann model but now I have to do that because that show was loving amazing

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

gently caress Whitey posted:

I think it's going to be really interesting to watch this. You might be able to tell how terrible age of the emperor is going to be based on how much they invest in their not 40k line

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Well there's some already out, and some to hit retail in probably February, but also more coming in Q2 or so

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

There's still some Kickstarter product pending shipping, but the rumor I heard for the retail launch was April.

But yes, there are tons of models for Firefight. Also Eldar and IG models slot pretty well into existing armies (GCPS and Asterians).

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I had never heard of Firefight before now, so I looked it up and it looks pretty dope! Has anyone actually played it? Is it fun? I could see all my fellow ex-40k buddies getting back together for this if so.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DO IT TO IT posted:

I had never heard of Firefight before now, so I looked it up and it looks pretty dope! Has anyone actually played it? Is it fun? I could see all my fellow ex-40k buddies getting back together for this if so.

Someone was posting in the Mantic thread a week or so ago about their first games of it, and they were very positive. The rulebooks themselves are also super, super well-made (like, physically), if that counts for anything. The fluff itself is pretty decent too, despite some weird editing decisions in the setting sourcebook that was included in the Kickstarter,

Don't confuse Warpath: Firefight with vanilla Warpath though. Vanilla Warpath is a multibased game that seems to have been Ronnie Renton's pet project, while Firefight is the 40k-but-good style game that the fans really screamed about wanting. I haven't seen really anyone at all talking about vanilla, and Firefight has been getting the majority of the attention from consumers (rightly so). This isn't to say vanilla Warpath is bad necessarily, it's just that Firefight is what the market wants.

potentiallycool
Nov 7, 2011

Homie
Fallen Rib

Drone posted:

Someone was posting in the Mantic thread a week or so ago about their first games of it, and they were very positive. The rulebooks themselves are also super, super well-made (like, physically), if that counts for anything. The fluff itself is pretty decent too, despite some weird editing decisions in the setting sourcebook that was included in the Kickstarter,

Don't confuse Warpath: Firefight with vanilla Warpath though. Vanilla Warpath is a multibased game that seems to have been Ronnie Renton's pet project, while Firefight is the 40k-but-good style game that the fans really screamed about wanting. I haven't seen really anyone at all talking about vanilla, and Firefight has been getting the majority of the attention from consumers (rightly so). This isn't to say vanilla Warpath is bad necessarily, it's just that Firefight is what the market wants.

All I want is to be able to use my Dark Eldar aka Drukhari (yes that is what they are being called now) and I will be happy. My Orks love Warpath already.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

potentiallycool posted:

All I want is to be able to use my Dark Eldar aka Drukhari (yes that is what they are being called now) and I will be happy. My Orks love Warpath already.

You can use them as Asterians easily enough, though whether they end up making an army list closer in aesthetic and motivation to the Dark Eldar is less certain

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Moon posted:

Crossbone Gundam predates Gurran Lagann by like, a decade

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Drone posted:

This isn't to say vanilla Warpath is bad necessarily, it's just that Firefight is what the market wants.

The issue is that vanilla warpath is a 28mm multibase game that would be great if only they had made it use 10 or 15 mm models instead...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gurren Lagann is from the "super robot" branch of the mecha genre, and owes more to stuff like Getter Robo or Mazinkaiser than Gundam

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

NTRabbit posted:

Well there's some already out, and some to hit retail in probably February, but also more coming in Q2 or so

Are they different models from Warpath or what

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Are they different models from Warpath or what

No, Warpath and Firefight use exactly the same models, Firefight just uses less of them, and Deadzone also shares exactly the same models, except less again, and minus the large vehicles.

A current Deadzone starter force has more minis than you need to play, and is actually a pretty good Firefight starter, just add a tank.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2017

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gurren Lagann is from the "super robot" branch of the mecha genre, and owes more to stuff like Getter Robo or Mazinkaiser than Gundam

Well with the cloak thing and the anime crud on the helmet it reminded me of Gurren Latham which was aping the giant robo genre

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Guy Goodbody posted:

So does Gundam Wing also fall into that group? because it feels like it should

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

The Real Robot and Super Robot classifications aren't exact. There's a lot of overlap, especially nowadays, when most mecha anime takes a lot from both. But I'd classify Gundam Wing as real robot. The robots are purely mechanical, there's no magic or willpower involved. They are weapons of war, created by military engineers. The conflict is between opposing human groups fighting battles over ideals, there's no mad scientist trying to take over the world with dinosaurs. And some of the robots are mass produced, and act as part of a larger military force. All of those are hallmarks of the real robot genre.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
No guys you see this one robot that looks exactly the same as this other robot is actually very different.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TheChirurgeon posted:

Gundam Wing is boyband Sailor Moon with OP robots. I built a little Bearguy a few weeks back. The Panda. He is good but I haven't decaled or inked him yet. And now I want more of them so I can make Slasher Movie BEARGUYS. See the Panda has black eyes and without the stickers it just says MICHAEL MYERS. So now I want a small and adorable army of robot murder bears. I just need to find plug compatible machetes, butcher knives, and a gas mask because My Bloody Valentine was cool.

(A retrogame shop chain carries Gunpla. I traded in some boxed Game Boy Pokeymans and got some Gundams and Atari 8 bit computer games and a couple Win 9x games. I kinda want to go back because they have an old SSI game boxed called Broadsides and they are carrying English language ps4 Singapore release games like Super Robot Wars, Gundam Breaker, and Wild Guns. So I have more games to not play because Bloodborne is truth.)

Edit:
Also SA does have a Gunpla thread that is quite active even if Broken Loose had a sperg fit over a Gundam show line a few days back. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678195&perpage=40&pagenumber=408#pti6
Since some of you are upset over model kits that are fun to build and aren't covered in more idiotic bling than a bad Mr. T parody.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bad Moon posted:

Well with the cloak thing and the anime crud on the helmet it reminded me of Gurren Latham which was aping the giant robo genre

Did the Gurren Lagann have a cloak? I haven't seen the show in ages

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Its easy to make articulated models when its all just flat panels with no detail on. I picked up a himock for the scale modelling thread challenge and I do not understand the hype at all. :confused:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

there's no mad scientist trying to take over the world with dinosaurs.

then whats the loving point!?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Its easy to make articulated models when its all just flat panels with no detail on. I picked up a himock for the scale modelling thread challenge and I do not understand the hype at all. :confused:

Odd that GW can't do the same thing with tau mechs.

Avenging Dentist posted:

No guys you see this one robot that looks exactly the same as this other robot is actually very different.
Well yeah.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Rufus posted:

Gundam Wing is boyband Sailor Moon with OP robots. I built a little Bearguy a few weeks back. The Panda. He is good but I haven't decaled or inked him yet. And now I want more of them so I can make Slasher Movie BEARGUYS. See the Panda has black eyes and without the stickers it just says MICHAEL MYERS. So now I want a small and adorable army of robot murder bears. I just need to find plug compatible machetes, butcher knives, and a gas mask because My Bloody Valentine was cool.

MS Option Set 3 has a butcher knife

Moola posted:

then whats the loving point!?

You should read Getter Robo

TTerrible posted:

The Hi-Mock is by far the simplest design. It caught people's eye because of abnormally simple it is. If you want a similarly priced kit that's more complex, how about the Geirail?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

Odd that GW can't do the same thing with tau mechs.

A lot of the Tau stuff has ball joints so you can pose it during assembly, but it doesn't have a toy like action figure skeleton.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Which is the right move since posing your little guy during a battle is dumb. (Why GW models are so expensive by comparison is, of course, inexcusable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

MS Option Set 3 has a butcher knife

You should read Getter Robo

The Hi-Mock is by far the simplest design. It caught people's eye because of abnormally simple it is. If you want a similarly priced kit that's more complex, how about the Geirail?

That's better but its still giant polygons with occasional rivet or screw dimples. I just don't get the attraction to the style I guess.

• Locked thread