Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's a look of terror on that fish's face that cannot be unseen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Phylodox posted:

But snakes don't wear pants! :confused:

excuse yourself

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

excuse yourself

That is clearly either a scarf or leg warmers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

A tube top.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

A single pant

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Okay he's cute now!

Original toy

Hot drat, that's some great paint work. Good job, that's a massive improvement.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Phylodox posted:

If it bites its own tail it becomes an infinity scarf.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Phylodox posted:

Do not belittle my alternate reptile garment facts.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hot drat, that's some great paint work. Good job, that's a massive improvement.

I get Kid Meal Toys aren't gonna be the best quality, but who looked at Jake and goes "That's good, make millions of those." It's not even remotely close to his overall color.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I get Kid Meal Toys aren't gonna be the best quality, but who looked at Jake and goes "That's good, make millions of those." It's not even remotely close to his overall color.

The sculpt is actually pretty good, it's a shame about the bland casting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Does anyone know the backstory of how Miyazaki got his Oscar? Because it seems like a real aberration. Did Lilo & Stitch alienate the judges or something?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spirited Away is really loving good, pal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Also Ghibli's films are heavily influenced by the West, so they don't come across as alien as the other anime stuff

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Spirited Away is, like, C-tier Miyazaki. It's still a gorgeous work of animation but it's one third of a great movie with two thirds of "eh" tacked on.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Spirited Away is, like, C-tier Miyazaki. It's still a gorgeous work of animation but it's one third of a great movie with two thirds of "eh" tacked on.
I will fight you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vegetable posted:

I will fight you

Totoro, Nausicaa, or Princess Mononoke are all far more deserving of recognition.

Spirited Away or Lilo and Stitch is a race I don't really have a horse in but still.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Spirited Away is good and deserving of an oscar, Hedrigall out

SnakesandScorpions
Apr 4, 2015
I actually really liked Porco Rosso out of all the Miyazaki films. His last film, As the Wind Rises was also well done and I definitely remember thinking that this movie definitely was a good place to retire as a director. A lot of the themes of love, war, and play were showcased in such a fashion as if Miyazaki was saying, "Hey! Pay attention!"

I remember one week years ago my girlfriend and I got our hands on all the Miyzaki films we could find and proceeded to watch a marathon of his movies. It's interesting to see how he grew as a director overtime. Compare, for example, Miyazaki's message of Castle in the Sky to Howl's Moving Castle. Both are extremely anti-war movies, but Howl does a better job at conveying the anti-war message to its audience then Castle in the Sky.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I finally saw the Blu-ray version of Princess Mononoke through other day and loving christ that movie still looks amazing.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Spirited Away was the first Ghibli film I ever saw and I was totally blown away by it as a kid, but these days I'd rather watch any of the others in my collection. Visually it's gorgeous, I wish their older work was that detailed! But the story is just so... ehhh. Maybe it loses something in the dub. Probably. (I would say it's the most Japanese out of all of them, but I never saw the one about tanuki balls.) And it feels like it drags on for a year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SnakesandScorpions posted:

I actually really liked Porco Rosso out of all the Miyazaki films. His last film, As the Wind Rises was also well done and I definitely remember thinking that this movie definitely was a good place to retire as a director. A lot of the themes of love, war, and play were showcased in such a fashion as if Miyazaki was saying, "Hey! Pay attention!"

I remember one week years ago my girlfriend and I got our hands on all the Miyzaki films we could find and proceeded to watch a marathon of his movies. It's interesting to see how he grew as a director overtime. Compare, for example, Miyazaki's message of Castle in the Sky to Howl's Moving Castle. Both are extremely anti-war movies, but Howl does a better job at conveying the anti-war message to its audience then Castle in the Sky.

My man. Nobody seems to rate Porco Rosso high, but it's probably my favorite. I tend to prefer his simpler, more intimate movies.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Everybody forgets about Pom Poko. :(

I mean, ignore their stuff about the balls though. The ending makes me tear up at least.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Everybody forgets about Pom Poko. :(

I mean, ignore their stuff about the balls though. The ending makes me tear up at least.

That's not Miyazaki, even if it's from the same studio. Looking it up, Miyazaki did write it but didn't direct. The director, Isao Takahata, also made Grave of the Fireflies so he definitely has a knack for movies that have... bittersweet stories.
And the balls are hilarious. "Hey kids, that carpet you're standing on? It's my balls."

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 26, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Kiki's Delivery Service is the best Miyazaki movie this is a fact.

FAKEEDIT:
Am I the only one who struggles with their love of The Wind Rises since it could be taken as "Japan did nothing bad in WWII we were just being artists"?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Unmature posted:

FAKEEDIT:
Am I the only one who struggles with their love of The Wind Rises since it could be taken as "Japan did nothing bad in WWII we were just being artists"?

The movie is more like "Japan will go into war no matter what we do, because the government and military are morons. So we artists just do what we love." The main character spends half the movie effectively hiding from his own government. It's toeing the line, but I'd say it's more of an exploration of the kind of person who would push everything aside for his craft, including love and the fact that his creations would be used for war.

I'm guessing there is alot of Miyazaki himself in the MC. He definitely comes across as a man who would put his work before anything else, including his family. Didn't he disawov his son for a while?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 26, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Totoro, Nausicaa, or Princess Mononoke are all far more deserving of recognition.

Spirited Away or Lilo and Stitch is a race I don't really have a horse in but still.

Lilo and Stitch is one of my favorite all time movies but I really can't blame someone for giving an award to Spirited Away over it.

Also, Best Animated Movie has only existed since like, 2000, so none of the movies you need had an opportunity to win.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

FAKEEDIT:

Huh, I took it a little differently. I thought Jiro had a love of flight craft and was immersed in their beauty, movement and function. He seemed bothered with the knowledge that his art was being used for war. His dreams of idyllic blue skies and fluffy clouds kept giving way to fire, smoke and iron crosses. I'd say he struggled with it, too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There's ambivalence in that movie, for sure. It gives this impression that the people designing killing machines were just Regular Folks All About Their Art. It might be partly true, but it also feeds into the proclivity of Japanese nationalists who'd like to romanticize at least parts of the war.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Spirited Away is really loving good, pal.

Being really loving good doesn't generally win Oscars, though.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The Wind Rises was so aggressively boring that sometimes I wake up in the night with a cold sweat because I had a nightmare that I was still in the cinema watching it

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Fangz posted:

Does anyone know the backstory of how Miyazaki got his Oscar? Because it seems like a real aberration. Did Lilo & Stitch alienate the judges or something?

it was the second ever Best Animated Feature winner. maybe the Academy was different before it became "Best Disney Movie" at the turn of the decade? :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes, I'm very sure that Hayao Miyazaki of all people made a movie about how War Is Alright, Actually.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Unmature posted:

FAKEEDIT:

The WWII commentary in the film is somewhat subdued, but you can clearly see Miyazaki's anger at the senseless waste of human life and the autocrathic government responsible for it in certain scenes. For instance, in the final dream sequence, Jiro and his idol Caproni watch a group of Japanese pilots fly off into the distance. Jiro sadly states, "Not a single one came back." To which Caproni replies, "It's not like there was anything to come back to." There's a melancholy to The Wind Rises that you wouldn't see in a pro-war work.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Samuel Clemens posted:

The WWII commentary in the film is somewhat subdued, but you can clearly see Miyazaki's anger at the senseless waste of human life and the autocrathic government responsible for it in certain scenes. For instance, in the final dream sequence, Jiro and his idol Caproni watch a group of Japanese pilots fly off into the distance. Jiro sadly states, "Not a single one came back." To which Caproni replies, "It's not like there was anything to come back to." There's a melancholy to The Wind Rises that you wouldn't see in a pro-war work.

Normally when people speculate conservative themes in Japanese works it's less about pro/anti-war and more about the implication that the War was a horrible thing because the Allies ruined everything at no provocation. I'm just mentioning this based on other discussions and the quote you brought up, I haven't seen the Wind Rises still.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 26, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mycot posted:

Normally when people speculate conservative themes in Japanese works it's less about pro/anti-war and more about the implication that the War was a horrible thing because the Allies ruined everything at no provocation. I'm just mentioning this based on other discussions, I haven't seen the Wind Rises still.

Yes, I think this is right. There's a lot of focus on Japanese suffering, especially once the tide turns, and not much on their actions. I think people do think of folks like Miyazaki too fondly - while I would not call him pro-war, he is pretty conservative these days.

I recommend people seek out Giovanni's Island, BTW, for a movie on this sort of topic that does give attention to the Japanese as perpetrators and not just as victims.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
However, it focuses on the suffering of the common people. Of the civilians, that is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Pick posted:

However, it focuses on the suffering of the common people. Of the civilians, that is.

Right, but the point is that the grand arc of a lot of Japanese media can be read as 'it sucks to lose wars', especially when paired with pro-war media that supposes WWII is redone with some particular advantage for Japan that ensures they win this time round.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I want Piper to win the short and Zootopia for best animated feature. Full disclosure though; I haven't yet seen My Life as a Zucchini or The Red Turtle.

The academy obviously has their own criteria, but looking specifically at animation aesthetics it's hard to top Zootopia for me. That was a movie that was MADE for animation and it was just so much goddamn fun to watch. Characters of drastically different proportion, locomotion, silhouette and facial shape--AND you can push the rig to the limits without falling into the uncanny valley or instantly going off model by being 'too cartoony'. A lot of great physicality and some really great performances in a film with a solid story and a coherent theme.

Moana was animated by more or less the same crew, and while it was visually stunning, there seemed to be a lot more freedom for the animators in Zootopia as a result. Just just have to have more restraint with human characters, even with one as bombastic as Maui. That friction can create some great results in the hands of talented artists, but we've seen a lot of that in recent Disney releases and it was like a breath of fresh air to just kinda drop that limitation and let the animators stretch their legs (sorry, I can't help it with the puns). It's one of the big reasons Tamatoa and 'Shiny' are my favorite part of Moana; a unique facial shape that's really fluid and just makes these really cool silhouettes and shapes (then they shut out the lights and dial it up to 11).

:allears:

The only thing Zootopia was missing was a great villain. I mean, I adore Jenny Slate and I liked Bellwether well enough, but I'm pretty sure that Disney has enough money now that they could have exhumed and reanimated Milt Kahl, uploaded the requisite 3D skills into his brain like neo in the matrix, and made him the character lead for an antagonist with more presence on screen.

PS my personal conspiracy theory re: Disney's lack of merchandising for Zootopia in spite of its success is that Zootopia doesn't really work for a future live-action adaptation (whether its on screen, on stage, or on ice) because they're all anthropomorphic animals.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also thanks for compliments on snake!

Fangz posted:

Right, but the point is that the grand arc of a lot of Japanese media can be read as 'it sucks to lose wars', especially when paired with pro-war media that supposes WWII is redone with some particular advantage for Japan that ensures they win this time round.

However, the grand arc of Studio Ghibli films is that war is pointless and bad for people. I think they're only responsible for their own output.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

wuffles posted:

The only thing Zootopia was missing was a great villain. I mean, I adore Jenny Slate and I liked Bellwether well enough, but I'm pretty sure that Disney has enough money now that they could have exhumed and reanimated Milt Kahl, uploaded the requisite 3D skills into his brain like neo in the matrix, and made him the character lead for an antagonist with more presence on screen.

Bellwether wasn't super memorable, but I wonder if a stronger villain might have hurt the messaging. The more the movie blames foxism on a shadowy cabal rather than historical/institutional prejudice, the less relevant it becomes as a parable. Maybe that's still a needle that could have been threaded, though.