Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I guess but make no mistake they're still you're class enemies unless you rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I guess but make no mistake they're still you're class enemies unless you rich

Doesn't mean that I can't be nice to a fellow human being who is likely to have a really lovely time of it for awhile.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Doesn't mean that I can't be nice to a fellow human being who is likely to have a really lovely time of it for awhile.

I don't advocate outright rudeness, but kindness and appreciation just helps them create their whole "the good citizens who I protect love me - it's too bad there are bad ones out there who need to be crushed." They need cold shoulders, shuns, and shaming.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

When a report comes out that protesters are violent aggressors who are carrying large, flag-like weapons, that's very bad. But the cops who are writing those reports? They are also very bad. Do not get it twisted.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"Flag-like weapons" sounds rather orwellian to begin with.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Well, "flag-like weapons" was closer to the truth than what the noble, report-writing cop had to say:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

xrunner posted:

I don't advocate outright rudeness, but kindness and appreciation just helps them create their whole "the good citizens who I protect love me - it's too bad there are bad ones out there who need to be crushed." They need cold shoulders, shuns, and shaming.

Yeah that's fair. On the flip side, being unkind to them makes them feel like the world is out to get them and that the only people who respect and understand them are the other cops around them.

The correct answer is for me to be black and/or disheveled and/or angry looking and incredibly nice.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yeah that's fair. On the flip side, being unkind to them makes them feel like the world is out to get them and that the only people who respect and understand them are the other cops around them.

The correct answer is for me to be black and/or disheveled and/or angry looking and incredibly nice.
A popular symbol in police iconography is "The Thin Blue Line". It is a blue horizontal line across a black field. The significance of this image is to show that cops are the only thing that separates the Good People from the Bad People. It makes no attempt at defining which side is Good or Bad; the only things it distinguishes are Cops and Not Cops.

A variant of this image is where the horizontal blue line takes up one of the white stripes in the US flag. The red and blue colors have been changed to black. White stars and stripes remain white. There is still a prominent distinction between Cops and Not Cops, but this time some of the Not Cops are also white. As the blue line takes up a white stripe, it reinforces the idea that Cops are white.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

If cops feel the world is out to get them they're free to quit. It's not like being born black, or stuck in a poverty spiral.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

A popular symbol in police iconography is "The Thin Blue Line". It is a blue horizontal line across a black field. The significance of this image is to show that cops are the only thing that separates the Good People from the Bad People. It makes no attempt at defining which side is Good or Bad; the only things it distinguishes are Cops and Not Cops.

A variant of this image is where the horizontal blue line takes up one of the white stripes in the US flag. The red and blue colors have been changed to black. White stars and stripes remain white. There is still a prominent distinction between Cops and Not Cops, but this time some of the Not Cops are also white. As the blue line takes up a white stripe, it reinforces the idea that Cops are white.

I know the symbolism well. I worked with a police force for about 6 months, in a rather large city. And I studied policing as my BS in college, and at the time most of the research ongoing into policing was around Community policing. So the divide between police/community was super well explored.

That's why I know that if the community just gives police a cold shoulder, they'll look to each other for support. It's what happened during the "Professional Policing" period in the 80s, and resulted in the police being separate from the communities they are supposed to serve. Because po-po see their job as super stressful and hideous and they think no one respects them (even though they're wrong).

If you press me for what the "right answer" is, it'd be "Bring back a focus on community policing" and "eliminate # of arrests as a metric" and "increase de-escalation training budgets and limit access to firearms while on duty".

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I know the symbolism well. I worked with a police force for about 6 months, in a rather large city. And I studied policing as my BS in college, and at the time most of the research ongoing into policing was around Community policing. So the divide between police/community was super well explored.

That's why I know that if the community just gives police a cold shoulder, they'll look to each other for support. It's what happened during the "Professional Policing" period in the 80s, and resulted in the police being separate from the communities they are supposed to serve. Because po-po see their job as super stressful and hideous and they think no one respects them (even though they're wrong).

If you press me for what the "right answer" is, it'd be "Bring back a focus on community policing" and "eliminate # of arrests as a metric" and "increase de-escalation training budgets and limit access to firearms while on duty".
The militarization of police is bad. The idea that police are not civilians is bad. Police showing up in huge numbers in riot gear to respond to a protest is bad. The lack of any meaningful kind of oversight is bad. For-profit privatized jails and prisons are bad. The whole dang system is out of order!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
A different UW, but no less relevant: http://www.channel3000.com/news/crime/uw-student-trying-to-start-alt-right-group-pled-guilty-to-arson-of-black-churches/294657140

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
If you're convinced that you're talking to a "good cop" (and you wanting to gently caress her doesn't count, that's unconscionable) the only correct way to make them feel is "like doing something about the bad ones". We need help from them, and they knew the job of protecting us was dangerous even if they didn't anticipate it would mean from their coworkers.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

George posted:

If you're convinced that you're talking to a "good cop" (and you wanting to gently caress her doesn't count, that's unconscionable) the only correct way to make them feel is "like doing something about the bad ones". We need help from them, and they knew the job of protecting us was dangerous even if they didn't anticipate it would mean from their coworkers.
*extremely liberal voice* Actually I watched the first two-thirds of Serpico and it was based on a true story and that means there are still good cops

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

anthonypants posted:

*extremely liberal voice* Actually I watched the first two-thirds of Serpico and it was based on a true story and that means there are still good cops

The only realistic portrayal of cops is in C.O.P.S..

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

No actually the Keystone Kops is the most accurate portrayal.

quote:

The Kops are a brilliant concept. To take a gaggle of inept
policemen and display them over and over again in a series of
riotously funny physical punishments plays equally well to the
peanut gallery and the expensive box seats. People hate cops.
Even people who have never had anything to do with cops hate
them. Of course, we count on them to keep order and to protect
us when we need protecting, and we love them on television shows
in which they have nerves of steel and hearts of gold, but in
the abstract, as a nation, collectively we hate them. They are
too much like high school principals. We're very happy to see
their pants fall down, and they look good to us with pie on
their faces. The Keystone Kops turn up--and they get punished
for it, as they crash into each other, fall down, and suffer
indignity after indignity. Here is pure movie satisfaction.

The Kops are very skillfully presented. The comic originality
and timing in one of their chase scenes requires imagination
to think up, talent to execute, understanding of the medium,
and, of course, raw courage to perform. The Kops are madmen
presented as incompetents, and they're madmen rushing around
in modern machines. What's more, the machines they were operating
in their routines were newly invented and not yet experienced
by the average moviegoer. (In the early days of automobiles,
it was reported that there were only two cars registered in all
of Kansas City, and they ran into each other. There is both
poetry and philosophy in this fact, but most of all, there is
humor. Sennett got the humor.)
[ Silent Stars, by Jeanine Basinger ]

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The only realistic portrayal of cops is in C.O.P.S..
Yeah, but the villains were so unrealistic. Like, Hillary Clinton can't lift a car.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

No actually the Keystone Kops is the most accurate portrayal.

Also good

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

George posted:

Wanting to sleep with a cop isn't unconscionable unless you've de-humanized cops so much they're not people.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Relevant Tangent posted:

Wanting to sleep with a serial killer isn't unconscionable unless you've de-humanized serial killers so much they're not people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

George posted:

Strategy recommendations?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Strategy recommendations?
:sever:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Wanting to sleep with a cop isn't unconscionable unless you've de-humanized cops so much they're not people.

I was saying that it's unconscionable to assume a cop is good because you want to gently caress her.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Being pro-slavery might be "bad", but what about all the good ______ did? http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35210414-75/deady-hall-name-stays-university-of-oregon-president-michael-schill-decides.html.csp

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

George posted:

I was saying that it's unconscionable to assume a cop is good because you want to gently caress her.

"How can she be a bad person if she is so hot?" He said will furiously masturbating to pictures of women in the IDF.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
Hi, is there still time to say ACAB?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Hi, is there still time to say ACAB?

Every hour is ACAB o clock

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Wrap it up, Eudailures https://twitter.com/portlandmercury/status/825109118025240582

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
If you're not busy in Lane County tomorrow at lunch, come on down..! I'll buy you a slice at Sizzle Pie.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35226319-75/eugene-rally-against-the-muslim-ban-planned-for-noon-sunday.html.csp

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bkerensa/status/825877556586909696
https://twitter.com/dougbrown8/status/825873625332854784

:peanut:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

This is an objectively good thing.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Can we just pick one PNW thread to use?

Or is this a commentary on the deep divide between Seattle/Portland and everyone else?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
This is the actual thread, the other one got closed. I don't know what you're talking about.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Rules.

I went to the Emergency rally/march, it didn't seem especially well organized, and needed a better megaphone, but was a pretty good showing for how quickly it was put together.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

If you're not busy in Lane County tomorrow at lunch, come on down..! I'll buy you a slice at Sizzle Pie.
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35226319-75/eugene-rally-against-the-muslim-ban-planned-for-noon-sunday.html.csp
This was a pretty impressive response that got probably 1500 people or so, if my experience in crowded concerts is anything to gauge from. Because it was literally just one random woman who started it, there was no like, logistics, so it really suffered from a lack of qualified A/V people or equipment (I am not sure if they thought they'd magically get a free outdoor plug on the steps, or if they thought a handful of AA batteries would be enough to power their teeny amp, but it was all completely lollable for a while).

Fortunately the entire thing happened right across from a Whole Foods Market or w/etf, so lots of boomers had seating and the attendance easily hit somewhere around 1500, there was no way to get a higher vantage point of the crowd but we kept making everyone on the franklin side move in closer, and it ended up with hundreds of people spilling off to the south and eastern side of the square.

Then because too many people showed up they canceled the march, which resulted in some anarchist kids and enthusiastic idiots all deciding to march against traffic in the highest-traffic one-way street in Eugene - West 11th. Some redneck got pissed off and some kids from the bus station who'd jumped on board (or led, it's kinda fuzzy because nobody involved with the march was around by then) might've slashed his tires.

So yeah, if you protest in Eugene - keep it the gently caress away from the bus station(s).

Error 404 posted:

This is the actual thread, the other one got closed. I don't know what you're talking about.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 30, 2017

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
https://twitter.com/bkerensa/status/825911202790281216

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
This is a crazy loving time to be alive.

"From now on, we don't call this an executive order - this is executive disorder." Seattle's lieutenant governor

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah in Eugene, I had already left and am glad to have, because apparently a hundred or two folks decided to block west 11th in celebration of our peaceful demonstration, and then some dude in a modded truck hits an airhorn and claims people pushed him into another car and it went downhill from there because dude - don't be a redneck in front of the eugene bus station.. They're animals!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209363808984577&id=1004341022&hc_location=ufi

(his tires were repaired for free from the store literally 50 feet away, FYI)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2017

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Die Sexmonster! posted:

This is a crazy loving time to be alive.

"From now on, we don't call this an executive order - this is executive disorder." Seattle's lieutenant governor

You were at the rally too? I had to man a table but it was interesting how the people started marching without waiting for the organizers to tell them to march or whatever. I admire their initiative and consider it rather poor planning on the part of the organizers to have overloaded the event with too much talking and not enough demonstration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mr. Lobe posted:

You were at the rally too? I had to man a table but it was interesting how the people started marching without waiting for the organizers to tell them to march or whatever. I admire their initiative and consider it rather poor planning on the part of the organizers to have overloaded the event with too much talking and not enough demonstration.

I was wondering what was going on with that. I stayed to listen to the speakers, and then the small crowd that hadn't left marched down to Pike Place Market, no idea where everyone else went.