Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

seiferguy posted:

Has the argument really devolved to "A woman is upset that I spread my legs on the bus once, therefore feminism is bad because I don't want to sit properly"?

that's what the argument always was, we're just not hiding it anymore

also a bunch of pathetic guilt tripping by dudes who spend way too much time on the internet talking about how feminism is a failure, for reasons that have nothing to do with personality disorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

new phone who dis posted:

I'm OK with any insult someone wants to use against another person but I also reserve the right determine for myself whether that insult is true/justified or just a result of ideological tribalism.

So every time you've used a gendered slur you believe it's "true"? In what sense? The people were actual literal pussys?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So every time you've used a gendered slur you believe it's "true"? In what sense? The people were actual literal pussys?

Most people who use insults think they're justified, at least at the time. It doesn't make them always right. Even meeeeeeeeeee.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 hours!
I'd really like to know which part of that post was comparable to calling a woman a stupid bitch.

:allears:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Most people who use insults think they're justified, at least at the time. It doesn't make them always right. Even meeeeeeeeeee.

so... you're mad that feminists are human beings? is that what's bothering you, sport?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

that's what the argument always was, we're just not hiding it anymore

also a bunch of pathetic guilt tripping by dudes who spend way too much time on the internet talking about how feminism is a failure, for reasons that have nothing to do with personality disorders

Imagine you're such a turbo feminist you spend your time taking pictures of dudes sitting with their legs spread on mostly empty buses, uploading them to the internet for the purpose of hate, and inspiring a movement of idiots to follow around and defend your actions by yelling at men about how they don't know when their bodies hurt. Goddamn, that's some real good modern feminism right there, can't understand why people eschew that label, no sir!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Imagine you're such a turbo feminist you spend your time taking pictures of dudes sitting with their legs spread on mostly empty buses, uploading them to the internet for the purpose of hate, and inspiring a movement of idiots to follow around and defend your actions by yelling at men about how they don't know when their bodies hurt. Goddamn, that's some real good modern feminism right there, can't understand why people eschew that label, no sir!

otoh you're still mad about gamergate so it's pretty funny that you would complain about people "uploading pictures to the internet for the purposes of hate" unless this was a purely tribal thing

feminism is doing great, i don't know why you're saying "people eschew the label" aside from a bunch of bitter incels. your assumptions are not correct, buddy. millions of women turned out to march the other weekend. where were the millions of anti-feminists?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

So you aren't perfectly consistent in your ideology but feminists need to be? Why shouldn't you also need to be?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Deified Data posted:

No, your first assumption was correct, I don't think it's possible. I think you can be mistaken about feminism, regard yourself as an anti-feminist, and still support gender equality in a nominal way. But if you're the least bit informed as to what feminism is and isn't, and still regard yourself as an anti-feminist (or a non-feminist for that matter), I definitely see you as standing in opposition to equal rights, or at least being apathetic to it which is just as bad.
So words aren't physical objects that have objective measures. Worse, feminism doesn't even have a planning committee that can make definitive decisions about what feminism is (whereas I can easily point out whether values map to the DNC for instance). Your claim on what feminism means isn't any more valid than the lowliest SWERF and TERF scum. If we took a vote some, maybe even a lot, of the values you ascribe to feminism might be popular, but then again, I'm not even certain who you think should be allowed in a such a vote. A global vote on "What does it mean to be a feminist?" I think would go very poorly for you.

I can't really stop you from assuming non-feminists oppose equal rights other than to say, that's just not how English works.
edit:
I suppose if you truly believe "identifies as feminist" is identical to "believes in equal rights for genders", can you start only using the second phrase, since they are identical in meaning? I think a lot of people don't perceive those phrases as being equivalent, and they will understand you better if you stick to the second phrase.

twodot fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 26, 2017

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

meeeeeeeeeee. me me me me me me me meeeeeeee

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

otoh you're still mad about gamergate so it's pretty funny that you would complain about people "uploading pictures to the internet for the purposes of hate" unless this was a purely tribal thing

feminism is doing great, i don't know why you're saying "people eschew the label" aside from a bunch of bitter incels. your assumptions are not correct, buddy

I've already posted evidence in this very thread that a massive majority of people in the US want nothing to do with the feminist label while still believing in equality. There's a reason for that, as much as the devoted cultists of modern feminists will refuse to admit it.

Gamergate was just the dry run for the wokes and feminists making GBS threads the bed while believing their own bullshit and lies. We got to watch the entire media do it in this election cycle. Great job, guys! Somehow you managed to lose 10 million votes for the Dems, allow a hair golem into the white house and lose every major section of government. But at least your in-group still thinks you're ideologically pure. That's what's really important after all.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So you aren't perfectly consistent in your ideology but feminists need to be? Why shouldn't you also need to be?

Being mistaken about occasional things isn't the same thing as operating your entire life in direct conflict with the ideology you want to force on everyone else.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

I personally find bus seats or any other hard, small seat uncomfortable both because of my nuts and how my body is built. It's not just the balls, but also a very common male condition where you have very little or no rear end, resulting in a very uncomfortable position when your legs are pushed together and you're on a hard surface. Spreading you legs out not only ceases the pinching of your nuts in many cases, but allows more of what little rear end you have to act as padding for the hard seat. I would of course move into the more uncomfortable situation to make room for others and I often even give up my seat to women, kids or old people on public transportation because I think it's the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean I'm lying and part of the patriarchal conspiracy when I say it hurts less to sit with my legs spread.

You can sit with your legs spread a little bit and not be a tremenous douche. If you have to sit spread eagle to be comfy, you probably have a problem besides lack of rear end.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Feminism is really great, I totally support it, and I appreciate totally that women have the right to highlight issues that cause inequality, hardship, expectations, objectifications, etc etc.

Whether or not the patriarchy has re-enforced dominant leg positions in men or not has such a tiny, temporary impact on ANYONES life: men, women, children etc who use the bus, that it does not warrant this much discussion!
Who cares (in this instance) the reason for it? Feminism is important to alert (mostly men) to their privilege and help them adjust their behaviour accordingly. This is obviously very important for things when men are determining who to hire, how much to pay them etc... They need their privilege in the back of their mind. On a loving bus, everyone should just be aware that at some point, you're going to have to sacrifice your comfort / bag location / wild pet goose for another passenger. When the bus isn't crowded, as long as you don't have a buldge on display, sit in whatever the gently caress douchebag way you want.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Being mistaken about occasional things isn't the same thing as operating your entire life in direct conflict with the ideology you want to force on everyone else.

Oh, clearly when you do something it's an innocent mistake, of course.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I've already posted evidence in this very thread that a massive majority of people in the US want nothing to do with the feminist label while still believing in equality. There's a reason for that, as much as the devoted cultists of modern feminists will refuse to admit it.

that wasn't evidence really, i kinda doubt you know the meaning of the term

Gamergate was just the dry run for the wokes and feminists making GBS threads the bed while believing their own bullshit and lies. We got to watch the entire media do it in this election cycle. Great job, guys! Somehow you managed to lose 10 million votes for the Dems, allow a hair golem into the white house and lose every major section of government. But at least your in-group still thinks you're ideologically pure. That's what's really important after all.

haha you spend wayyyyyyy too much time on the internet, being angry at people in your imagination. you have an elaborate, vivid internal fantasy life that revolves around yelling at women. you really should seek therapy before this compulsion damages your life even further

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Do I need to check my privilege of having an rear end?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Whether or not the patriarchy has re-enforced dominant leg positions in men or not has such a tiny, temporary impact on ANYONES life: men, women, children etc who use the bus, that it does not warrant this much discussion!

Agreed, it's so loving weird to see a bunch of posters itt so loving defensive about it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Agreed, it's so loving weird to see a bunch of posters itt so loving defensive about it

it's almost like they have a huge amount of resentment surrounding the way women talk about things, on the internet, and obsess over it to the point that they're triggered by the slightest breeze

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

twodot posted:

edit:
I suppose if you truly believe "identifies as feminist" is identical to "believes in equal rights for genders", can you start only using the second phrase, since they are identical in meaning? I think a lot of people don't perceive those phrases as being equivalent, and they will understand you better if you stick to the second phrase.

I do! If you'd like a discussion on why we can't just turn feminism into catch-all gender egalitarian movement, there was a pretty decent one downthread.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

boner confessor posted:

where were the millions of anti-feminists?

Basking in the increased-testosterone afterglow of backing the winning horse, I assume

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING

boner confessor posted:

it's almost like they have a huge amount of resentment surrounding the way women talk about things, on the internet, and obsess over it to the point that they're triggered by the slightest breeze

Even while I don't reject the significance of words "mansplaning" and "manspreading" from a language / aural perspective they're just incredibly grating for me to hear. The "Ma-" sound even pisses me off when kids shrill "mama" as "mah" not "muh". Guess I just get angry a lot.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Even while I don't reject the significance of words "mansplaning" and "manspreading" from a language / aural perspective they're just incredibly grating for me to hear. The "Ma-" sound even pisses me off when kids shrill "mama" as "mah" not "muh". Guess I just get angry a lot.

Nah I empathize. I loving hate children as well.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

boner confessor posted:

it's not hard to prove at all, if you accept the proof. you're not accepting it, that's why it looks hard to you :shrug:

The above is not how you manage to convince people. "I don't know lady, all the arguments you've brought against my evidence I won't acknowledge, I'll just say heres the proof why aren't you accepting it"

Somfin posted:

And here we hit the real nub of the issue, in your mind: a woman trying to get you to shut up and stop explaining poo poo she already knows. That's the real issue here.

This breaches on the all so annoying "Free Speech" argument that circles around these arguments. Im on an internet forum, talking about feminism, in a thread about feminism. If this was in real life, yes I would be quiet and let people with better arguments than me speak. But this is the internet, were we can all make bad posts and ill-advised arguments.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I know that you can go to any circle of women, and get the same statements as the ones I've heard or read, yeah.
Why don't you do that. Go ask women around you: "Hey, can you tell me about your experiences of having stuff you already knew being patronizingly explained to you by a dude and you think it was because they were sexist or of having a dude not trust you to have knowledge on a subject you do have knowledge about, because of the fact that you are a woman, if you have any?" I'll be waiting.

Updated the requirements since you seem to miss what is aggravating me about man-splaining.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fruit Smoothies posted:

moist

Exmond posted:

The above is not how you manage to convince people. "I don't know lady, all the arguments you've brought against my evidence I won't acknowledge, I'll just say heres the proof why aren't you accepting it"

you've already admitted that you don't buy into some aspects of feminist arguments because they can't be objectively proven so, no offense, i'm not going to waste that much more time trying to convince of something you're pretty open about opposing no matter what. ultimately i dont care if you accept my definition or not, especially when you've asserted you won't accept it for frankly silly reasons

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Exmond posted:

Updated the requirements since you seem to miss what is aggravating me about man-splaining.

Yeah so you don't get what this is about.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

What a worthless, childish post.

You really don't know what any of the words you use mean. It's impressive.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

you've already admitted that you don't buy into some aspects of feminist arguments because they can't be objectively proven so, no offense, i'm not going to waste that much more time trying to convince of something you're pretty open about opposing no matter what. ultimately i dont care if you accept my definition or not, especially when you've asserted you won't accept it for frankly silly reasons

Are you a feminist or a Jehovah's Witness?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Are you a feminist or a Jehovah's Witness?

do you really sincerely believe that tumblr is the reason trump won the election

is that your actual, no poo poo opinion, or are you just trying to be funny or something

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
EVERY POSTER ITT should make public their testicle* and rear end size. So we know how much your opinion on the topic of manspreading matters.

* if you're a woman, just say "I have literally no testicles"

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Cingulate posted:

EVERY POSTER ITT should make public their testicle* and rear end size. So we know how much your opinion on the topic of manspreading matters.

* if you're a woman, just say "I have literally no testicles"

I got regular sized balls, within one standard deviation, but my dick is a grower, not a shower. My rear end is huge though.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

do you really sincerely believe that tumblr is the reason trump won the election

is that your actual, no poo poo opinion, or are you just trying to be funny or something

I think a large reason the Dems lost this election is because modern activism is a turn-off for anyone who isn't 100% willing to submit to the turbo-woke cult currently in the position of prominence. Or become an unrepentant corporate cocksucker. The current incarnation of feminism championed by a millionaire heiress who molested her sister and thinks that sex she regrets with a Republican is rape is a big part of that. Feminists are going the way of Communists, obsessed about debating it's academic merits while being blind to it's real-world status and biggest proponents.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I think a large reason the Dems lost this election is because modern activism is a turn-off for anyone who isn't 100% willing to submit to the turbo-woke cult currently in the position of prominence. Or become an unrepentant corporate cocksucker. The current incarnation of feminism championed by a millionaire heiress who molested her sister and thinks that sex she regrets with a Republican is rape is a big part of that. Feminists are going the way of Communists, obsessed about debating it's academic merits while being blind to it's real-world status and biggest proponents.

you are actually deranged and need to spend less time on the internet, if you think that any of this culture war garbage is in any way important in the real world

"as a gundam enthusiaast i think it is obvious that hillary's disregard for japanese animation cost her the election" <--- literally you

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
first TB, now Lena Dunham. will all our feminist icons fall to the ire of the Man With No rear end :dawkins101:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
phone, state your measurements.

The current incarnation of feminism championed by a millionaire heiress who molested her sister and thinks that sex she regrets with a Republican is rape is a big part of that.
Man I had a really hard time parsing this sentence. "sex she regrets with a republican"? Like, she had sex, and then she, together with a republican, regrets it? What is going on? (Don't worry, I get it now.)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
here i was thinking that champions of feminism were like, gloria steinem, bell hooks, but they just dont make natetimm as angry as lena dunham so we'll have to go with that, since natetimm's definition of feminism is "women, existing, who make me madder than hell"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

as a gundam enthusiaast i think it is obvious that hillary's disregard for japanese animation cost her the election

Unironically this

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Zero thought, pure recitation. You're duckspeaking like a pro.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
feminist icons like becky larson, who had the NERVE to make fun of my 8th grade promposal that is why your horrible movement is failing and going the way of the dodos, evil bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
*natetimm, looking at his behind in a mirror, through tears and gritted teeth* "I will build myself an rear end and I will make feminism pay for it!"

• Locked thread