Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
SAM seems like it exists to either justify some sort of UI thing or else as a thing that is clearly going to be the main plot of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Alec Ryder is both an N7 operative and a pioneering AI scientist

little bit much to live up to IMO

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

I will honour him with legions of bastard half alien grandchildren.

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010
Funko pop preview: https://funko.com/blogs/news/coming-soon-mass-effect-andromeda-pop-s

These things look hideous to me but it seems to confirm that the Angaran with the visor over one eye is Jaal and potentially the 6th squad member

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

marktheando posted:

I will honour him with legions of bastard half alien grandchildren.

the only real option tbh

also apparently here's the last squadmate from the new aliens

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/824693829492109312

second column, second row

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cora strikes me as a woman trying to keep up with the hip youngsters with that hair cut.

Kurieg posted:

So how do you get the custom Nomad skin they referenced in the video, is that just the pre-order one?

That is indeed part of the default preorder bonus, that skin, along with the Deep Space Explorer Armor and a multiplayer booster pack.

Getting the Deluxe then adds to that: A casual outfit, the Scavenger armor, the Pathfinder Elite Weapon Set (four pieces), a pet pyjack, a digital soundtrack, and a deluxe multiplayer pack on top of all that.

The super Deluxe is the Deluxe plus a free booster pack per week for twenty weeks.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

the only real option tbh

also apparently here's the last squadmate from the new aliens

https://twitter.com/OriginalFunko/status/824693829492109312

second column, second row

Three drat Sara Ryders. And Sara with an N7. Stolen valor.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

marshmallow creep posted:

Cora strikes me as a woman trying to keep up with the hip youngsters with that hair cut.

she looks like she someone that ran afoul of military regulations while trying for a punk lesbian look

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Sure is a lot of hate for a haircut in this thread. I'm just happy that Frostbite can do blond a lot better than the previous engine.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's funny how they're alternating between Costa/Kosta for Liam's family name in several different pieces of media. As someone with the same family name it's very annoying

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

No his wife is the AI scientist

I have no problem with Cora (until the eventual reveal she's TIM's daughter/clone and leader of Neo Cerberus)

And Liam reminds me of Koth from the Old Rebublic MMO (especially with that haircut)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
all of these people seem so aggressively boring compared to even the other mass effect games.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I liked everything I saw except the character models. They still look like they're from that animated Star Wars show. Seriously what's up with that? Characters looked better in all 3 original games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Drifter posted:

MMOs have this, right? Like you have 1-9 hotbar, and then can cycle through maybe 3 or 4 instances of hotbars, each with whatever skills you put in them.

This switch stuff for ME:A sounds more like a streamline thing for controllers/consoles than it does some major new way of playing a game.

Having different loadouts because there is a lot of powers makes sense in a multiplayer game when an individual stopping time to choose their powers from a large list isn't do-able. So limiting all your powers in this way may mean that a game is designed with the single-player experience being less important.

Moola posted:

Actually its super cool because most games overwhelmingly have male protagonists

so its cool to have a badass lady main character in a big franchise

Didn't even think twice about playing ME as femShep, partly because playing as a woman is still something of a novelty.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Considering the pathfinder project left after ME2 it would be interesting if Cora were related to TIM but just talks about her crazy younger brother and his crackpot theories with absolutely no knowlege of what he's done during her cryosleep. Since she's apparently badass enough to throw down with Asari Commandos.

SgtSteel91 posted:

And Liam reminds me of Koth from the Old Rebublic MMO (especially with that haircut)

I already made that joke thank you very much.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

all of these people seem so aggressively boring compared to even the other mass effect games.

*sees less than 5 minutes on characters*

Goddamn they're all so aggressively boring!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah I have to agree. I don't think you can really judge how much you'll end up liking a character from trailers. I can't think of a single trailer from Bioware that made me go yeah can't wait to play all their cool scenes. They'll be out of context and can't possibly show you the stuff that ends being the parts you actually like. For example: shooting bottles with Garrus on the Citadel.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
also if a character shows any personality at all they are basically Sera and I am looking forward to their death

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Wow the human companions look garbage, always going with alien squadmates seems like the way to go, just like previous games*

*PEEBEE excepted

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well it's unfair to give a Krogan teammate because you always take the Krogan with you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

Well it's unfair to give a Krogan teammate because you always take the Krogan with you.

yes but Mass Effect 3 was the only game without a Krogan squadmate and we all know what happened there

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grunt kind of sucked imo

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Youtube comments are afire with anger and SJW-witchhuntery because there's a black person in this game.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

SAM seems like it exists to either justify some sort of UI thing or else as a thing that is clearly going to be the main plot of the series.

I bet that SAM's implants record everyone's thoughts/personalities etc, so that once your Dad dies you can talk to a simulation/ghost of him throughout the game, like Dan Sylveste in Revelation Space (also like Dexter I guess)

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 26, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ainsley McTree posted:

Grunt kind of sucked imo

You shut the gently caress up, Grunt is beautiful :qq:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Grunt is so bad, he makes Wrex look good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hedrigall posted:

Youtube comments are afire with anger and SJW-witchhuntery because there's a black person in this game.

I bet that SAM's implants record everyone's thoughts/personalities etc, so that once your Dad dies you can talk to a simulation/ghost of him throughout the game, like Dan Sylveste in Revelation Space (also like Dexter I guess)

Can't wait to make my Ryder's black. And then start the Andromeda galaxies white genocide movement. Going to let Cora die any time I get a chance. If not she gets to be the token white.

White people have already ruined one galaxy we aren't going to allow them to ruin Andromeda.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Funco Pop things spell Sarah Ryder's name as Sara while the Andromeda briefing lists it as Sarah. Personally I think they should just put Sera in the game, it's what everyone wants.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

^^That's interesting, because I believe the writers confirmed it was Sara over twitter.

nerdz posted:

It's funny how they're alternating between Costa/Kosta for Liam's family name in several different pieces of media. As someone with the same family name it's very annoying

They seem to have made it explicitly Kosta in the briefing video, which is what I have now put in the OP. I spelled it Costa before the video dropped because that was how I encountered it reading reports of hearsay. I suspect now that there is an official source people will start to get it consistent.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 26, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Personally I think they should just put Sera in the game, it's what everyone wants.

"I stole their breeches"
"We're in space."
"So?"
"They're all dead now."
"So?"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cora looks fine. They all look fine. But Asari Lennox looks loving stupid. I really really hope you can avoid her.

Also, why no boy ryder in the funco line? That's a bit odd.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I miss him already...

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ainsley McTree posted:

Grunt kind of sucked imo

This opinion is bad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Grunt did kind of suck. Except in ME3. But ME2 was just I HAVE THESE URGES. I NEED TO KILL THINGS. ZZZZ. Really not much character there at all. Zaeed was far more interesting.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Zaeed is one of my favorite companions in any RPG. He's a completely irredeemable rear end in a top hat, but listening to him talk is an absolute delight.

He's like Trump, if Trump was a mercenary.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Can we also leave trump to die in a puddle of gasoline under a burning support beam?

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
That villain seems straight up out of the post-Halo 3 games.

Aside from that, seems alright.

Mymla posted:

Zaeed is one of my favorite companions in any RPG. He's a completely irredeemable rear end in a top hat, but listening to him talk is an absolute delight.

He's like Trump, if Trump was a mercenary.

Zaeed ain't a racist.

Also yes. RIP Robin Sachs

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Unnamed One posted:

That villain seems straight up out of the post-Halo 3 games.

Aside from that, seems alright.

Since the writer of Halo 4 wrote most of this, that's not surprising. Unless that's what you meant.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The Unnamed One posted:

Zaeed ain't a racist.

Also yes. RIP Robin Sachs

I hope the pups he was fostering got adopted :(

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

The Unnamed One posted:

Zaeed ain't a racist.

Zaeed posted:

Cheap labor, he said. Bloody terrorists, I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Kavak posted:

Since the writer of Halo 4 wrote most of this, that's not surprising. Unless that's what you meant.

Yeah, pretty much.

But even his design seems very much a Didact/Warden Eternal rip-off (with a splash of Prophet)