Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

I'm familiar with FR dark elves, but what's the concern with Dragonlance's version of the concept? (Most of what I know about the setting is that kender exist, Raistlin could be insufferable at times, and that The Balance Between Alignments Must Be Upheld At All Costs.)

"Drow" are not a separate subrace so much as just a term used for regular elves exiled from society for being evil. You do something heinous or get involved in something dark, they'll call you a Drow and exile you from their lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I thought Dark Elves were an unsubtle metaphor for the great powers loving with people during the colonial age. They're decadent, unpleasant people, sucking blood and resources out of nations they consider inferior, brutally working slaves to death for money and power. They're almost as evil as their historical counterparts.

Which is why you run them steam punk style.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I don't want to sound callous or anything but as a citizen from a third world country that had a loving coup last year and whose economy, social order and welfare is disintegrating increasingly fast ever since, I'm playing a mollecular violin to US liberals who think they are in a lovely situation.

I'm playing no violin because I and 99% don't give a poo poo about you or your problems. You're a horrible person and you deserve whatever you get.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
In The Elder Scrolls, dark elves consider their ashen skin tone a gift from the Tribunal to further differentiate them from the High Elves and make it easier for them to live in a hot environment. Of course, it could also be a punishment from Azura because the Tribunal ignored her when she said not to use the Tools of Kagrenac to make themselves living gods. Both are probably true, considering how funky time works in TES.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't remember if Dragonlance even has dark elves. The biggest problems with it are the alignment issues noted above, and the fact that the setting's history and plotlines all revolve around the gods of evil tricking the gods of good for the umpteenth time and then the gods of neutrality doing nothing about it despite The Balance Must Be Maintained BS.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

I'm playing no violin because I and 99% don't give a poo poo about you or your problems. You're a horrible person and you deserve whatever you get.

Plutonis deserves to die because you think his posts are mean.

Have you heard of this cool new rpg called Beast: the Primordial?

Rockopolis posted:

I thought Dark Elves were an unsubtle metaphor for the great powers loving with people during the colonial age. They're decadent, unpleasant people, sucking blood and resources out of nations they consider inferior, brutally working slaves to death for money and power. They're almost as evil as their historical counterparts.

Which is why you run them steam punk style.

Dark elves with goggles and top hats with cogs on them?

I know what I'm cosplaying as! *applies shoe polish*

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Bedlamdan posted:

Glad we're in agreement.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Dunmer has anyone done a TES game? What kind of system would work for one?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's pretty Runequest as is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Uh, there's already a RPG counterpart to Vampire: The Eternal Struggle.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

Glad we're in agreement.

No one deserves to die over shitposts. Just skin color, religious affiliation, and sexual orientation!

Zephirum posted:

Speaking of Dunmer has anyone done a TES game? What kind of system would work for one?

D&D, I suppose?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Upon reflection on my previous criteria, Plutonis is probably first against the wall anyways, carry on Arivia.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zephirum posted:

Someone did a Savage Worlds conversion that looked kinda okay?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Please stop, Bedlamdan.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

LongDarkNight posted:

Best Dark Elves are the one in Burning Wheel. None of that pesky racial stuff, just a regular Elf gone bad.

quote:

The Path of Spite is walked by those Elves who have turned their Grief and sorrow into Spite and bitterness. These dark souls see the world as coming to nothing but ruin and wreckage. There is no good left in it for them, nor will there be for anyone else in the end.

That's basically just goons who spend too long reading politics threads tho.

Edit: made my post more concise.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 26, 2017

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Please stop, Bedlamdan.

Sure, sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Have you heard of this cool new rpg called Beast: the Primordial?

No, I have zero sympathy for Plutonis after he threatened to stalk and kill me and Ettin. You should be banned for your bad posting and general stupidity, but I'd save you from a burning building.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Bedlamdan posted:

Dark elves with goggles and top hats with cogs on them?

I know what I'm cosplaying as! *applies shoe polish*
The horror, the horror!

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Zephirum posted:

I remember seeing a project on /tg/ for making an Elder Scrolls RPG. From what I remember it was a system that worked sort of like Warhammer Fantasy; you got base stats like Strength, Endurance, and what not that have base stats per race and then you roll 2d10 seven times and assign them to whatever stats you wish, and then you get skills that aid your tests against your stats.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I remember seeing a project on /tg/ for making an Elder Scrolls RPG. From what I remember it was a system that worked sort of like Warhammer Fantasy; you got base stats like Strength, Endurance, and what not that have base stats per race and then you roll 2d10 seven times and assign them to whatever stats you wish, and then you get skills that aid your tests against your stats.

That system is tremendously over complex and awful.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

That system is tremendously over complex and awful.

Well I didn't say it was good. Just saying I remembered it. What exactly is wrong with it?

Anyways, I'd probably just run it in some d100 system if you want to be accurate to TES's routes in stuff like RuneQuest, or hack something together in a good dungeon crawler.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ratpick posted:

Donald Trump makes good on his promise from his inauguration speech to unlock the mysteries of space.

The terrible mysteries of space.

Donald trump is going to push me down the stairs?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Donald trump is going to push me down the stairs?

Holy poo poo I didn't even realize I was making a reference to an old as hell thing from this very site.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Arivia posted:

No, I have zero sympathy for Plutonis after he threatened to stalk and kill me and Ettin. You should be banned for your bad posting and general stupidity, but I'd save you from a burning building.

I was banned for both already, but fortunately we have an amazing system where the biggest idiots can buy their way back in for a small amount of money, while people with actual things to say are long gone.

SunAndSpring posted:

Anyways, I'd probably just run it in some d100 system if you want to be accurate to TES's routes in stuff like RuneQuest, or hack something together in a good dungeon crawler.

Really, any generic fantasy rpg would do. There's a lot of bizarre metaphysical stuff deep inside Elder Scrolls, but none of it is really visible unless you use cheat codes or mods. Which I guess, if you want to make that element more visible, use Godbound or Exalted or something.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Haha, of course Bedlamdan comes slinking back to defend a poster who threatens to rape people.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Serf posted:

Haha, of course Bedlamdan comes slinking back to defend a poster who threatens to rape people.

Not especially, I mostly came slinking back to read about Beast: the Primordial.

If a poster did anything truly heinous, I'm sure our mods and/or admins would have permabanned them. They never make mistakes, or gently caress up royally.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sigh.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I always love when people drag their forum slap fights into threads, everyone thinks it's great

Serf
May 5, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Not especially, I mostly came slinking back to read about Beast: the Primordial.

If a poster did anything truly heinous, I'm sure our mods and/or admins would have permabanned them. They never make mistakes, or gently caress up royally.

:cawg:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Well I didn't say it was good. Just saying I remembered it. What exactly is wrong with it?

It's one of those /tg systems that desperately wants to meticulously copy every aspect of the subject material without any regard for the difference in mediums. Basically, every system and subsystem is a bloated mess. See also Pokemon Freedom Unite or whatever they call it now.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

fool_of_sound posted:

It's one of those /tg systems that desperately wants to meticulously copy every aspect of the subject material without any regard for the difference in mediums. Basically, every system and subsystem is a bloated mess. See also Pokemon Freedom Unite or whatever they call it now.

For all of its flaws, it was worth it to play the Pokemon Tabletop RPG just once, if only to be Francis York Morgan but with a Totodile that was the only surviving witness to a horrific murder.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

remusclaw posted:

It's pretty Runequest as is.

It's pretty Gloranthan. The guy who designed it even got some inspiration from the old runequest stuff.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Pokemon Tabletop United is pretty good! I play a game of it every monday with some of the devs!

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Pokemon Tabletop United is pretty good! I play a game of it every monday with some of the devs!

Am I crazy or didn't you help write it?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Pokemon Tabletop United is pretty good!

It's ok, but it's super dense and messy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Am I crazy or didn't you help write it?

I made a homebrew on its predecessor, Pokemon Tabletop Adventures and some of it was reused on PTU's main game, just that.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I made a homebrew on its predecessor, Pokemon Tabletop Adventures and some of it was reused on PTU's main game, just that.

Ah. That was the version I played.

Someone else found it online and decided to run it for our group, I genuinely had no idea it had anything to do with these forums.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Bedlamdan posted:

That's even worse, really.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

That's even worse, really.

The realization this post gave me is pretty depressing. What kind of idiot keeps fixating on a trainwreck, to the point where all the humor behind it is gone? Not here.

I hosed up!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

It's ok, but it's super dense and messy.

Well, it's a work in progress. 1.06 (Sun/Moon update) is coming soon.

• Locked thread