Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

H13 posted:

One does not sit down for Iron loving Maiden.

But they're free tickets..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bagsack posted:

I picked up Slice The Cake's album Odyssey To The West recently and it's quickly become my most listened-to record in a long rear end time. I think one of the reasons I find it so interesting is because I really loving dig the whole 'epic' narrative and story told throughout the lyrics/tracks. The only other albums like that I can think of are Edge of Sanity's Crimson II and Opeth's Still Life and I guess sorta Ghost Reveries. Can anyone recommend any more concept albums that are on the more brutal side of the metal spectrum?

All of the Axis of Advance and Sacramentary Abolishment records, also Nocturnus - The Key. Venom's At War with Satan is half a concept album(the title track) and then the other half is just some songs. The two most recent Meads of Asphodel albums sort of count i guess, although they're a bit wacky at times. The most recent Ruins of Beverast full length is sort of a concept album, but his earlier records are better.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Demon Of The Fall posted:

But they're free tickets..

Yes they are. So take them, go to the show, and STAND MOTHERFUCKER, STAND!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
lmao at passing up a free suite to a Maiden show

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think you will have a problem with people telling you to sit down in a suite at a maiden show

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Getting into this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajtPOivB4sc&t=477s

The howling banshee vocal of the woman showing up at 10:45 is legit as gently caress, reminds me of a lot of the early female fronted crust bands in Copenhagen like Toxic Shock Syndrome and Tazer.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

lmao at passing up a free suite to a Maiden show

oh I won't :c00l:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Just heard Oozing Wound's Whatever Forever, and it makes me feel things in all the same places as Children's Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World despite having a lot more post-punk influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HeMs135kg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vulture Culture posted:

Just heard Oozing Wound's Whatever Forever, and it makes me feel things in all the same places as Children's Hard Times Hanging at the End of the World despite having a lot more post-punk influence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HeMs135kg

Definitely one of the best local bands here.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Woah. Ne Obliviscaris lost their bass player.

quote:

After much deliberation we have decided to part ways with our bassist, Brendan ‘Cygnus’ Brown due to irreconcilable personal differences.
We know this will come as a shock to our fans. Brendan has been a big part of this band for many years, and it’s a decision that has not been taken lightly.
We will still be moving forward with recording our new album in the first half of 2017 as planned, and are looking forward to getting back on the road to perform for you all later this year with a new bassist on board.
-NeO

Those aren't easy shows to fill. Good luck to the guys

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
drat, he's the best part

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Bagsack posted:

I picked up Slice The Cake's album Odyssey To The West recently and it's quickly become my most listened-to record in a long rear end time. I think one of the reasons I find it so interesting is because I really loving dig the whole 'epic' narrative and story told throughout the lyrics/tracks. The only other albums like that I can think of are Edge of Sanity's Crimson II and Opeth's Still Life and I guess sorta Ghost Reveries. Can anyone recommend any more concept albums that are on the more brutal side of the metal spectrum?

You might like Mastodon's Crack the Skye.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Bagsack posted:

It's weird you mention Crimson II but not Crimson which is better in every aspect.

e: You might also like Diabolical Masquerade's Ravendusk In My Heart.
e2: And how could I forget Deceased's Fearless Undead Machines?
e3: And I forgot one of my 2016 AOTY choices (and A human heart favorite): Cultes des Ghoules - Coven.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 26, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_vUR3DEgRU

Countess posted:

Just a few weeks to go until we hit the road with Blackdeath and Barathrum:
Feb 23 Le Klub
Feb 24 Het Bos
Feb 25 Helvete Pub - Club - Live Stage
Feb 26 Willemeen

:staredog:

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

just bought gen admission tickets for Iron Maiden.. $125 each w/ fees on presale and it's a credit card swipe entry so I don't even get a printable ticket or nothin

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Varg posted:

just bought gen admission tickets for Iron Maiden.. $125 each w/ fees on presale and it's a credit card swipe entry so I don't even get a printable ticket or nothin

Goddamn

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I love the band, but Maiden at MSG was probably the most underwhelming show I've ever been to. GA tickets in NYC are almost $200 this time. No thanks, not for me.

But I did get excited and impulse purchase tickets to a festival to see Cirith Ungol about five seconds after they were announced, so if you see some nerds outside a garage down the street from Barclay's Center a couple months after the Maiden show and can't tell if they're a D&D group or metal fans, you can make fun of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKwkR53gCQ

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
New Mastodon leaked: https://mixstep.co/7nw0jmuw37hn

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If Facebook is any indication the bassist of Ne Obliviscaris is no longer with the band. Sad to hear him go, he had great chops.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vargatron posted:

If Facebook is any indication the bassist of Ne Obliviscaris is no longer with the band. Sad to hear him go, he had great chops.

Just a couple of posts up from yours

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fuuuck this is so good! They took the cohesiveness of their last album and brought back a ton of Blood Mountain/Crack the Skye vibes and it sounds great. So glad they're dropping an album this year.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
So it's not a boring piece of poo poo like everything after crack the sky? Cool

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Weaponized Cum posted:

So it's not a boring piece of poo poo like everything Mastodon does? Cool

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I've heard bad stuff about Barathrum live these days, but that's a cool tour

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm digging it, but I thought the singles for the last two albums were pretty solid and then both of them had a bunch of dead weight tacked on. We shall see!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
So my girlfriend wants to know of good symphonic death metal bands. I think it's all garbage so I'm asking this thread to hit me with recommendations for her.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

A TURGID FATSO posted:

So my girlfriend wants to know of good symphonic death metal bands. I think it's all garbage so I'm asking this thread to hit me with recommendations for her.

Progenies era Dimmu Borgir... Remember Shagrath getting a Jack Daniels IV? Classic poo poo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weaponized Cum posted:

So it's not a boring piece of poo poo like everything after crack the sky? Cool

it's just the one song and yep pretty boring

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Communion by Septicflesh is pretty sweet, but obviously it's some corny poo poo

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
In non-symphonic death metal news, here's some good poo poo from Malta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qADbY53U3Cg

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Fleshgod Apocalypse, Septicflesh, and Ex Deo are the first three that come to mind. But yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 27, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Does Nocturnus count?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

One time i listened to shade empire and i didn't like them but they did sound a lot like a generic bombastic movie soundtrack crossed with sub par death metal if that's your thing

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Nocturnus is great and the latter is basically the definition of that style, right? I mean, why would you take perfectly good death metal and add keyboards? Same reason you don't mix scotch with coke.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

A human heart posted:

One time i listened to shade empire and i didn't like them but they did sound a lot like a generic bombastic movie soundtrack crossed with sub par death metal if that's your thing

I like shade empire :mad:

e: Ash statues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgMScBVtp7w

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Nocturnus "The Key" is one of my top death metal albums. And I agree with the mention of SepticFlesh. Their most recent 3 or 4 albums are symphonic death, but Communion is the best of the bunch.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Horrified from Greece had some cool keyboards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fND-RZzgmEo
maybe try the first Pheblotomized album. lots of death/doom has keyboards, like Unholy or Saturnus or others, but obviously that's a bit different from just death metal.

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Not necessarily symphonic but Sulphur Aeon scratches that same itch.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Played live a number of times recently now. That's a nice lineup though, will be interesting to see what sort of utter state Barathrum get into in Helvete since it is basically a sauna after the first 50 heads are in.

Oh and the booze-ticket deal thing means the bar service speed is great!

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

A TURGID FATSO posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l39URo4nsmI

Labyrinth is a really good symphonic death metal album. She may like that.