Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gaunab posted:

Here's another story that might bring back bad high school memories

Everyone should just remind her that a lot of the people she knows right now in high school (especially the lovely ones) stop mattering altogether a few years from now. I've kept close with a very, very tiny handful of people I knew in high school and the rest are just acquaintances that I barely see off Facebook. Unless you're a total rear end in a top hat, everyone gains a lot more friends out of high school and typically goes through some pretty serious changes until none of you are the same people again.

This rear end in a top hat, especially, is going to be nothing but a "crazy ex-boyfriend" story in two or three years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
ahhhhh yeah, its just one of those craaaazy ex-my-entire-terrible-family stories a few years down the line if you think about it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

ahhhhh yeah, its just one of those craaaazy ex-my-entire-terrible-family stories a few years down the line if you think about it

I could definitely see this story again in 6 years turning into "I called 911 after he beat me until I couldn't see anymore, now my family is disowning me because the police won't let me drop the charges" if they'd stayed together

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
haha small towns

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
When I was a kid in SE Michigan there was an incident in an adjacent township where a couple of kids from the high school football team went out on a bender and managed to totally loving paralyze a dude, deliberately. (they threw him from a truck or something, I don't remember, it wasn't an "accident" accident but a vehicle was involved) It caused a huge amount of controversy, you see, because the perpetrators were looking at scholarships and instrumental to the success of the team, and said perpetrators had made the mistake of paralyzing somebody just over the county line, so their small town hick cops couldn't save them. I wish I could find the drat story, but I remember some weepy moms from Milford or South Lyon or whatever moaning about how unfair it was to ruin the lives of these two upstanding young men over a moment of childhood indiscretion~

neck down btw

permanent brain damage as well if I remember correctly

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The only small town story I got is a dude broke into the high school after graduating to steal the football team playbook, as if he was gonna sell it to a rival team in an alternate universe where high school football is important, let alone in MA and not Texas. He got cold feet and was caught sneaking into the school to put it back. He got no charges but was sentenced to googling his name forever proving that he embarrassingly cared about high school football after leaving high school. He posts white supremacist stuff on facebook now so I guess he landed okay.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
America, sports, and humans in general suck loving hard tbh

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember some football players got the book thrown at them for trying to rob a guy at gun point not far from the school.

They were black though.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Why the hell did he throw the coffee? That's downright psychotic

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Because he's an rear end in a top hat who has probably done whatever the hell he wanted his whole life with no consequences. Why not throw hot coffee on some poor homeless dude? He would have gotten away with it if his friend didn't have a conscience.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Not sure if y'all will find this interesting but I do. I'm with her - they've got some real issues but this arrangement sounds exhausting.

My [26M] girlfriend [25F] wants to move, thinking it will solve all of the issues we're currently having.

quote:

My girlfriend (25f) and I (26m) have been together a little over 3 years. When we met I was living with my parents, and about a year into our relationship we moved out into an apartment together.

We lived in the apartment for about a year, at which point we made the decision to move back in with my parents to save money for a house, as we were saving at a reasonable pace, but my parents offered to house us rent free if we could show them that we were making a solid effort to save money.

Since moving in with my parents, there have been some issues. My girlfriend has been living out of home since she was about 17, so she’s definitely not used to living with parents (even if they’re not hers). Its gotten to the point where my parents have sat me down and expressed their concerns regarding her behaviour. They haven’t come out and said ‘we don’t want you to be with her anymore’ (and they would never do that anyway), but I can see how much stress this is causing them.

A few of the issues that have been brought up (these are issues that I’ve noticed as well, I just didn’t realise it was so noticeable by outside parties):

She is incredibly moody, and doesn’t have reasonable reactions to situations. Example: A few weeks ago my mum was expecting my sister to come round. My girlfriend came home from work and mum went to see who it was. When my girlfriend walked in through the door mum said something like ‘oh, you’re not Tess!’. From that point on, my gf was miserable and sulky for a good hour, because she interpreted that as ‘i’m not Tess, so your mum wasn’t happy to see me’.

She’s not really a morning person, and a little while ago my mum said ‘good morning’ to her when she got up. My girlfriend didn’t respond, so mum asked why. She told my parents that ‘I’m not a morning person, so it would be better if you just didn’t talk to me in the morning.’.

My girlfriend’s dog lives with us as well (which isn’t an issue, my parents love dogs and are more than happy to have her dog stay with us), but my girlfriend gets funny about how other people treat him. She’s asked my mum not to take him for walks, despite the fact that she doesn’t take him, ever. He’s a 5 year old small white dog who is very healthy, so its not for any health or safety reasons.

She often lacks the initiative to make an effort in helping around the house. When we moved in, my mum asked if we could occasionally volunteer to make dinner, just once per week. After living there since last April, I could count on one hand the amount of times she’s made dinner. Her excuse is that she doesn’t feel comfortable going into a fridge/pantry that isn’t hers and using food in there, despite specifically being told she can do so. At the same time though, she often leaves her breakfast bowl and teacup on the bench with the other dishes in the expectation that someone else will wash them up. She also doesn't have an issue in using the internet, streaming Netflix and crippling the internet speed for my dad and I when we're trying to play games. We have brought this up to her and she responds with 'oh, so you guys can use the internet but I can't? That's not very fair'. Seems to miss the point where her using of the internet means no-one else can use it. (yeah, we have awful internet where we live).

My parents feel like they cannot raise issues with her because her reactions are so over the top. As a result of this, they come to me to raise the issues to her. When I do, she says they need to talk to her directly. When I explain why they’re hesitant to do so, she says ‘I’m an emotional person, its how I react to stuff and I’m not going to change.’

There are some other small things but you get the idea. At first I was happy to chalk all of this up to not being used to living with parents, but after nearly a year of it, I’m really tired of constantly being caught in the crossfire. There are days when I dread coming home from work because I feel like there’s just more work for me to do at home.

My girlfriend went to Fiji for a week last week, and when she got back we went out of town for a friend's wedding. We booked an AirBNB and when we got there it wasn't exactly like what we had imagined it would be. After picking her up from the airport and driving to the town where the wedding was, she was in tears for 45 minutes because the AirBNB 'wasn't what she was expecting'. This is just one of many examples of this sort of situation. I am constantly working to put out fires, often to just keep the peace.

I do love her and I want to make this work, but I'm so tired of having to constantly play counsellor in addition to boyfriend. I'm going skiing in Japan for a week with my dad, leaving tomorrow, and throughout this week she's been making comments about how awful next week is going to be when its just her and my mother.

I brought all of this up to her last night and her solution was that we need to move out to our own place. While I can understand that it will solve some of these issues, I think others have deeper roots that need addressing. I told her that I didn’t want to move out to fix these issues, but that I wanted these issues addressed before I considered moving out.

She seems to think that I’m being unreasonable in not wanting to consider moving before these issues are rectified, and got upset this morning, saying that I care far too much about what my parents think. We're a very close family, and I do put a lot of stock into what my parents think, but I am mindful about whether my decisions and opinions are influenced by what they say, or I just happen to agree with what they say. In this case, I agree with what they're saying.

While I agree that some of the issues would be rectified if we moved out, I’m also concerned that when we moved out initially we were still within a bit of a honeymoon period.
I would love to get some insights from anyone who may have experienced a similar issues or has some input. Sorry that it was such a long wall of text.

TL;DR - My GF and I live with my parents while saving for a house. My parents have raised some concerns about my girlfriend’s behaviour, many of which I am aware of, but I didn’t realise it was being noticed by others. My girlfriend wants to move out, thinking it will solve all the problems, but I don’t want to move out to fix the issues, I want the issues addressed before moving out.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

living with someone else parents must be exhausting but it really doesnt sound like the parents did anything at all wrong and she sounds like shes got some major issues

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think I would pretty much go nuts when, after six months of living in a place where I can't even comfortably use the kitchen, I'm told that I should cool it on the netflix. Granted I'd also be able to like, not care so much what the parents think, but walking on eggshells in your own home would suck really hard. I don't think the parents have to do anything wrong for that to be extremely uncomfortable.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

living with someone else parents must be exhausting but it really doesnt sound like the parents did anything at all wrong and she sounds like shes got some major issues

I lived with my wife's parents for a couple of years at one point and it was loving terrible

she's right, they need to get the gently caress out of that house.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think I would pretty much go nuts when, after six months of living in a place where I can't even comfortably use the kitchen, I'm told that I should cool it on the netflix. Granted I'd also be able to like, not care so much what the parents think, but walking on eggshells in your own home would suck really hard. I don't think the parents have to do anything wrong for that to be extremely uncomfortable.

i couldn't make a loving grilled cheese sandwich without her dad telling me to turn the heat down and her mom coming in to be passive aggressive about the "mess" i was making

after a while no matter what way you behave you're going to get on the nerves of the people who own the house. parents don't have a lot of patience with their adult children, they have a lot less patience for the people they didn't crap out.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I don't disagree but the girl is crying for 45 minutes straight because he airbnb isnt just how she pictured it. like i'm gonna give the parents a lil bit of slack here

GB_Sign
Oct 9, 2012

The kitchen thing is all on her though, it doesn't sound like they care at all and are even asking her to do something. She definitely sounds like she has some issues that need to be dealt with over and above the living situation.

When I am visiting a friend, I feel weird just going into their cupboards etc, but they have been living there for 2 years. At some point you learn to adjust and it becomes your place as well at least when it comes to things like making cooking and other day to day needs.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

GB_Sign posted:

The kitchen thing is all on her though, it doesn't sound like they care at all and are even asking her to do something. She definitely sounds like she has some issues that need to be dealt with over and above the living situation.

When I am visiting a friend, I feel weird just going into their cupboards etc, but they have been living there for 2 years. At some point you learn to adjust and it becomes your place as well at least when it comes to things like making cooking and other day to day needs.

The kitchen thing isn't all on her, she feels like a guest in their home instead of it being her home and that really changes the dynamic and comfort level.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ArbitraryC posted:

The kitchen thing isn't all on her, she feels like a guest in their home instead of it being her home and that really changes the dynamic and comfort level.

Not enough of a guest to do her own drat dishes though? This guy has the perfect opening to :sever: so he might as well take it.

I mean just look

Tolkien minority posted:

I don't disagree but the girl is crying for 45 minutes straight because he airbnb isnt just how she pictured it. like i'm gonna give the parents a lil bit of slack here

:redflag: :redflag::redflag:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

They're letting them live there rent-free. I think maybe the woman who weeps at an Air BnB and gets passive aggressive about Netflix while refusing to do the one chore she was asked to do may be in the wrong here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tiny Deer posted:

They're letting them live there rent-free. I think maybe the woman who weeps at an Air BnB and gets passive aggressive about Netflix while refusing to do the one chore she was asked to do may be in the wrong here.

No doubt is her behavior strange and neurotic but it seems likely to me that it is a consequence of walking on eggshells for a year in what's supposed to be her home. That poo poo ain't free. I suspect that she is right that a lot of her issues would go away if she had a place that felt like home to go back to each day. (They should also set up QoS on their router so she can at least take the refuge of netflix when he's having family videogame day but I guess I'm asking for the moon there.)

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
While living with your parents sounds like literal poison to any relationship, dude's girlfriend seems like a melodramatic lazy idiot. What kind of person has a meltdown when their Airbnb isn't the bestest ever or refuses to do the dishes? He should just :sever: before they move out because it's not going to magically improve with her once they do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

No doubt is her behavior strange and neurotic but it seems likely to me that it is a consequence of walking on eggshells for a year in what's supposed to be her home. That poo poo ain't free. I suspect that she is right that a lot of her issues would go away if she had a place that felt like home to go back to each day. (They should also set up QoS on their router so she can at least take the refuge of netflix when he's having family videogame day but I guess I'm asking for the moon there.)

I agree, I think they might have issues but living with his parents is going to exacerbate all of them and probably cause new ones.

Even the AirBnB one might be a function of her hoping they'd get their own place for like one night instead of being on some strange couple's couch.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
She definitely sounds like a bit of a pill but I also lived with my in laws for about seven months and it truly is horrible. One time my MIL started a conversation on a very controversial topic that we didn't agree on. I, very politely, told her that maybe we could just agree to disagree, and firmly said I really didn't want to have that conversation because it was stressful. Nope, she had to follow me around the house and antagonize me until I left for work shortly after.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dude needs to sever with a quickness, gf sound like a real pill to be around.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

While living with your parents sounds like literal poison to any relationship, dude's girlfriend seems like a melodramatic lazy idiot. What kind of person has a meltdown when their Airbnb isn't the bestest ever or refuses to do the dishes? He should just :sever: before they move out because it's not going to magically improve with her once they do.

Living with your partner's parents is exactly enough of a hell to cause somebody to have a total meltdown over their AirBNB turning out to be a bait and switch. "Finally, a space I am paying for, I will be able to control it" - whoops! Surprise! You don't control poo poo about your own life!

ArbitraryC posted:

They probably do little things to remind her she's a guest all the time, too. I lived with my in-laws for two years, bought all their groceries and paid rent and I still never felt like it was my home.

She's being a little unreasonable maybe but I suspect the poster is turning a blind eye to passive aggressive poo poo his parents are doing to his girlfriend because it's a lot easier to live with them than it is to pay rent on his own place. They need to grow up and loving move out. He can't live with mommy and daddy forever.

He's a god drat 26 year old man (who has lived exactly one year apart from them in his entire life) and he's complaining that his girlfriend's netflix habit interrupts videogame time with pop-pop. gently caress this guy!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

guys, its totally possible that living with your inlaws sucks major donkey nuts and this girls brain is broked. they;re not mutually exclusive propositions

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

btw, having been in a similar situation to this in most respects (but myself being the outsider in the story) she's absolutely right in that getting the gently caress out of the house is probably going to fix all (or most) of their problems. She clearly had her poo poo together enough to survive as an independent person from age 17 on, so clearly she can function outside of her boyfriend's parents house. They've been living there for at least a year. I will guarantee you that if she had any energy at the start of this to contribute to that household it is long loving gone and the stress of living someplace you are not welcome with a partner who is too clueless to figure it out compounds until it becomes a ball of neuroses you can't untangle without multiple emotional meltdowns. You do not understand how awful it is to be a "permanent houseguest" until you do it.

He is a god drat grown man and he lives with his parents and lets them pay his bills and refuses to move out when they clearly don't like his girlfriend and she clearly knows it. If she's acting crazy now, it's because of him.

edit: seriously though, you're 26 years old and you're annoyed at your girlfriend for interrupting playtime with daddy????? this poo poo wouldn't drive anyone else crazy?

Read this loving quote. HE IS 26 HUMAN YEARS OLD.

quote:

Since moving in with my parents, there have been some issues. My girlfriend has been living out of home since she was about 17, so she’s definitely not used to living with parents (even if they’re not hers). Its gotten to the point where my parents have sat me down and expressed their concerns regarding her behaviour. They haven’t come out and said ‘we don’t want you to be with her anymore’ (and they would never do that anyway), but I can see how much stress this is causing them.

OF COURSE SHE'S NOT USED TO LIVING WITH PARENTS, SHE'S 25 YEARS OLD YOU loving MANCHILD

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 27, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

guys, its totally possible that living with your inlaws sucks major donkey nuts and this girls brain is broked. they;re not mutually exclusive propositions

I think this is likely. She sounds like there's a few red flags, but living with anyone's parents is annoying. When visiting and staying with family anything more than a week starts pissing me off.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pick posted:

Unlike Obama, who could totally out-bone that man in a flat second

She should break with him, then show up later with an Obama lifesize stand-up like :smug:

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Not sure if y'all will find this interesting but I do. I'm with her - they've got some real issues but this arrangement sounds exhausting.

My [26M] girlfriend [25F] wants to move, thinking it will solve all of the issues we're currently having.

I'll take List of Bipolar Disorder Traits for $2000 thanks.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Ah, if living with parents is as hellish as you guys say I can see that pushing her to her limit. They definitely should move out, at least, because otherwise she's going to burn the house down if she keeps being driven more and more insane--sort of a Wide Sargasso Sea scenario.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

TheScott2K posted:

Hold her purse for her once in a while if she needs you to for God's sake. It's not like some leprechaun is going to suddenly appear and call you a human being before punching you in the balls. I swear, some guys are such bitches about their masculinity.

I had a good laugh at this. Thank you!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pick posted:

I agree, I think they might have issues but living with his parents is going to exacerbate all of them and probably cause new ones.

Even the AirBnB one might be a function of her hoping they'd get their own place for like one night instead of being on some strange couple's couch.

Imagine fantasizing about a trip and getting able to relax alone with your SO and then the place you booked is a craphole. It wasn't crying over the AirBnB. It was crying about the whole hosed living situation.

Also, if she can only use the internet if no one else can it IS kinda a case of they can use it but she can't.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sure living with the boyfriend's parents is a lovely dead-end living situation and kinda suggests he's no winner either but on the other hand if you bring up that someone's being an rear end in a top hat to their hosts(/anyone you care about) and they come back with this, you break up with them. You break up with them on the spot, and you never look back.

quote:

‘I’m an emotional person, its how I react to stuff and I’m not going to change.’

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
if u can't handle me at my worst u dont deserve me at my best :c00l: :c00l: :c00l:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Dienes posted:

Imagine fantasizing about a trip and getting able to relax alone with your SO and then the place you booked is a craphole. It wasn't crying over the AirBnB. It was crying about the whole hosed living situation.

and the fact that the rear end in a top hat who is making her live in this situation is too stupid to understand it's not the AirBNB she's upset about

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

sure living with the boyfriend's parents is a lovely dead-end living situation and kinda suggests he's no winner either but on the other hand if you bring up that someone's being an rear end in a top hat to their hosts(/anyone you care about) and they come back with this, you break up with them. You break up with them on the spot, and you never look back.

1. this is the whole problem
2. the things she's doing aren't that unreasonable and she is allowed to have emotions and feelings about things, and her being a permanent guest in their home does not make her feelings and emotions invalid

You can't live someplace comfortably for very long dancing around being a "guest" in "somebody else's home". She's been there more than a year. She was probably polite at first.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Pick posted:

if u can't handle me at my worst u dont deserve me at my best :c00l: :c00l: :c00l:

(p.s. i'm literally always at my worst and always will be)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

(p.s. i'm literally always at my worst and always will be)

noooo the worst is right after you break up with them

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
yeah guys, the crazy person with all the red flags is totally the girlfriend, he should leave her, he's totally a catch

quote:

I do love her and I want to make this work, but I'm so tired of having to constantly play counsellor in addition to boyfriend. I'm going skiing in Japan for a week with my dad, leaving tomorrow, and throughout this week she's been making comments about how awful next week is going to be when its just her and my mother.

I brought all of this up to her last night and her solution was that we need to move out to our own place. While I can understand that it will solve some of these issues, I think others have deeper roots that need addressing. I told her that I didn’t want to move out to fix these issues, but that I wanted these issues addressed before I considered moving out.

She seems to think that I’m being unreasonable in not wanting to consider moving before these issues are rectified, and got upset this morning, saying that I care far too much about what my parents think. We're a very close family, and I do put a lot of stock into what my parents think, but I am mindful about whether my decisions and opinions are influenced by what they say, or I just happen to agree with what they say. In this case, I agree with what they're saying.

:rolleyes:

"You need to be a better domestic servant to my parents before I'm going to move out of mommy and daddy's house" is a pretty insane ultimatum, honestly, loving unhinged in my book

Just reading this dude's posts I still can't believe he's 26. The way he talks about his parents borders on the reverential. They're his best friends and his respected peers. That's loving weird, dude. You shouldn't be so attached to your parents that you look for excuses to not move out of their house.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

My [19F] date [20sM] made me pay for him.Dating
submitted 26 minutes ago by guidao

Basically, I went on a date with a guy to the movies and when the attendant asked if we were paying together for our tickets or separately, he (despite having the money in hand - enough for himself but not for me too) simply looked at me without saying anything rather than paying. The only note I had was the price for two of us so I gave it after a long awkward pause and said I'd pay for this.

Despite having the exact amount physically in his hand in note form, he went to his wallet and said he could pay me back with coins if I liked (to which I declined). He didn't say thank you for me paying and dropped the topic after this. After the film we grabbed food and, after saying no to all my choices for being too expensive (they weren't - overall, prices were slightly above average because we were in an expensive part of London but the item he and I both specified wanting was cheap at all but one place), he took me to his preference and offered to pay for the cheapest item on the menu, but not before asking if I wanted to share it with him. This did not even come to half of the price I paid and he made a point of saying this made us equal now.

Other than this, we had a nice time and the conversation was interesting but I just can't shake off the feeling that my date was super cheap and it puts me off wanting to go out again a little. I always offer to split the bill when on dates but if the guy insists then I allow him to pay for part of it (eg. our drinks if we're having a meal). I've never paid for a guy before nor could I see myself doing it unless it was another round at the pub or something of that nature. The fact that I had to pay for the bulk activity of our date doesn't sit well with me (nor would it if I had him pay for me on a first date). I understand people have financial problems so I'd like to give him another chance and chalk it up to that but frankly, I don't have the money to pay for another date for the two of us and his behaviour with money made me think it wasn't that.

Do you think it's worth a second chance or is this a red flag? I have no experience with people behaving like this to know if it's a sign of something or not. He was a nice guy and I liked chatting to him so I'd be interested to see if it went anywhere but if it was a trait rather than a one off thing, it would be a deal breaker for me.

lol