Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You'd' run the risk of wasting your time potentially learning chinese though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i'm a teacher at a university in the us, and before class i saw one of my students from china using wechat on her phone. i told her that i knew what it was, and i asked her if she was "meeting anyone good on it." it is a small class so we have a pretty good rapport. i was just joking with her, but she got super embarrassed. did i make her lose face or something?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Stop flirting with your students gwailo *spits close to your shoes before rolling shirt over belly and lights cig, takes drag*

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i'm a teacher at a university in the us, and before class i saw one of my students from china using wechat on her phone. i told her that i knew what it was, and i asked her if she was "meeting anyone good on it." it is a small class so we have a pretty good rapport. i was just joking with her, but she got super embarrassed. did i make her lose face or something?

i guess you don't know what it is

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

What is it?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
It's mostly a social media app that also happens to have a secondary "meet people" function. Most people don't use it very much.

TanTan is the tinder clone that you're probably looking for, just be aware that it sends your password and stuff over a basically unencrypted format.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol i just thought it was like facebook.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Does she currently need an A in your class?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Does she currently need an A in your class?

if i told you no and then told you the subject, you might suggest i was making a racist joke. so i wont mention it ;)

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

if i told you no and then told you the subject, you might suggest i was making a racist joke. so i wont mention it ;)

Given what we know (you're a goon, she's a FOB mainlander) I will guess your class is about how to jerk off a computer.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Sheep-Goats posted:

Given what we know (you're a goon, she's a FOB mainlander) I will guess your class is about how to jerk off a computer.

well no, but is computer programming big for chinese students? most of ours are in the business program for whatever reason. and since i believe every single word in this thread is complete truth, i imagine they are failing business ethics. i dont actually take this thread for FACE value

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Every white person naturally speaks English.

I wonder: do Chinese people expect every yellow person to naturally speak Chinese? What about Indians or Africans?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kopijeger posted:

I wonder: do Chinese people expect every yellow person to naturally speak Chinese? What about Indians or Africans?

Only every chinese person.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I had a buddy in China whose "english name" was Migga, and who spent a year insisting it was a real english name because 'in fact many people are called Migga.' He searched for 'Migga' on skype and found many instances of it.

Another dude's english name was "Becartjin" which he could A) not pronounce and B) still does not return a single result on google.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 26, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fact that like 6th generation 3/4 chinese canadians don't speak fluent chinese was a huge and constant mindfuck to international students here.
The fact that white people knew how to use chopsticks and could eat this secret unique chinese crop called "rice" was also a huge mindfuck.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
welcome to enjoy

happy every day

are you ok?

do you know my means?

maybe i dommm know ah

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The fact that like 6th generation 3/4 chinese canadians don't speak fluent chinese was a huge and constant mindfuck to international students here.
The fact that white people knew how to use chopsticks and could eat this secret unique chinese crop called "rice" was also a huge mindfuck.

Interesting that they would cling to these ideas in the face of plentiful evidence to the contrary. You'd think they would have noticed by now that what language you speak is not determined by genetics. Also, wiki claims that rice was cultivated in the Middle East and Egypt in the days of the Roman Empire, and that rice stores have been discovered in military camps in Germany dating to the 1st century AD. That they haven't noticed this and other examples of rice cultivation outside China in the last 2000+ years is nothing short of remarkable.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Kopijeger posted:

Interesting that they would cling to these ideas in the face of plentiful evidence to the contrary. You'd think they would have noticed by now that what language you speak is not determined by genetics. Also, wiki claims that rice was cultivated in the Middle East and Egypt in the days of the Roman Empire, and that rice stores have been discovered in military camps in Germany dating to the 1st century AD. That they haven't noticed this and other examples of rice cultivation outside China in the last 2000+ years is nothing short of remarkable.

rice was invented in china shortly after they invented eating

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kopijeger posted:

That they haven't noticed this and other examples of rice cultivation outside China in the last 2000+ years is nothing short of remarkable.

it really isn't

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

No posts from Haier, he finally found large hair cave he couldn't escape

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kopijeger posted:

i was just in seoul airport like two days ago and i was checking in and this chinese dude came up with six passports and starts talking in mandarin to the lady and she just kinda stared at him and he asks her in chinese "you do not speak chinese?" and i asked him if he needed help and he said "yeah, why doesn't she speak chinese?" and its like "because you're in korea you loving moron"

i helped the guy check in, and i obviously had a chance to really screw him over but because i am not a total douchebag i actually just acted like a nice person

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
So I'm in Henan with my girlfriends family for spring featival, always an interesting time of year. Yesterday I'm told we're going to go out and buy some fruit, I figured this this meant a 5 minute trip to the shop, instead it was a 4 hour adventure with multiple near death experiences. We drove right out of the city to a massive fruit wholesale market. Basically a shitload of big open air warehouse things, with 60w incandesecent bulbs about 4 storeys up every 100ft or so, basically it was almost pitch black. Big red trucks bombing about with no lights on, those little 3 wheel trucks everywhere and chinese people stumbling around since they cant walk in a straight line in this country, not paying any attention to where they are going, there was even less traffic rules than normal in here too. The floor was completely covered in bits of old fruit too so you're slipping about all over the place, occassionally treading on a big lump of watermelon or something and wondering if it was actually a body. In the end we got some bananas, grapes, and apples saving about 10rmb than if we'd just gone to the shop.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

Chinese people don't even expect Chinese people to speak Chinese, if by Chinese you mean Putonghua anyway. You constantly meet people who claim they themselves cannot speak Chinese (because they speak heavily accented Putonghua) or elderly people who only speak a topolect of Chinese like shanghainese, cantonese, minnan, etc... If you're in a huge city like Shanghai or Beijing and you're under 70 years old there's probably an expectation you speak Putonghua but once you get into the sticks that drops quickly. If you go somewhere like Urumqi, Inner Mongolia or Tibet there's almost no expectation at all people will speak Putonghua. One of my coworkers is going to Tibet over Chinese new year and was really worried no one would speak Chinese in Lhasa, which is also kinda silly.

But there is a familial expectation to speak the language your grandparents did,, which can get crazy. I've heard Chinese-American friends of mine complain about how their family is distraught they don't speak this one weird dialect of Shandonghua, and even native Chinese friends say the same thing after their family moved away from the homeland for 2-3 generations.

Kids these days being raised on TV and stuff mostly speak putonghua, though usually accented. That's leading to a rise in people trying to protect their topolects. Shanghai especially has been trying to preserve Shanghainese with language schools for kids and stuff.

One time I asked an Asian dude in my gym in China how many sets he had left on some machine (in Chinese), and he yelled at me in English about how he was American and I shouldn't assume everyone speaks Chinese in China, so I guess I am actually the most guilty of this.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

nickmeister posted:

Didn't you stop giving your phone number to people because you would suddenly have tons of people calling you for English lessons?
I think that was Blistex. Am not an English teacher, so cannot comment.
When I first arrived this time, my boss told me to go to the park at the local university and have a sign that says "English corner," and do that for an hour and get as many Wechats as possible and then delete the men and ugly girls. She says all sorts of things, but that was one of the ones that still makes me LOL because it's so out of character for her.

Glenn Quebec posted:

If I download WeChat and start hitting up every FOB in NYC for Chinese lessons, how well do you think it would go over?
Probably not well. They've already "made it." They have no use for white people at that point. There's also a lot of scammers actually in China but using GPS spoofing. Wechat actually has GPS security stuff to prevent this kind of thing through stock OS's (they know their audience), but a rooted Android and a few apps and changed settings can still make it work. I added one when I was in the USA, and "she" couldn't speak English and made up a fake story about needing money to go back to China since she's failing out of university there. She started demanding red envelopes, so I searched it and found how normal it is for scammers to pretend to be in all sorts of places to try to scam Chinese who go abroad.

What Jeoh said...You embarrassed her quite a lot.
Wechat is just a chat app with basic social media features. A majority of Chinese people would never use People Nearby (AKA Look Around) because they are extremely suspicious of their fellow countrymen and assume only robbers, scammers, prostitutes, and black-market dealers use that feature. When I tell people I use People Nearby, they are always shocked and kind of worried for my security. Even though there are a lot of businesses and prostitutes on there, unless people have actually tried it, they will not know it's full of regular people looking to talk or bang.

etalian posted:

No posts from Haier, he finally found large hair cave he couldn't escape
I'm fine. I am forced to go to a humongous feast with at my boss's house. I like going there, but the visiting relatives make me super uncomfortable because they are oldschool and look down on foreigners and do the whole "China is for Chinese" garbage. I don't like being glared at any more than necessary.

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

So I'm in Henan with my girlfriends family for spring featival, always an interesting time of year. Yesterday I'm told we're going to go out and buy some fruit, I figured this this meant a 5 minute trip to the shop, instead it was a 4 hour adventure with multiple near death experiences. We drove right out of the city to a massive fruit wholesale market. Basically a shitload of big open air warehouse things, with 60w incandesecent bulbs about 4 storeys up every 100ft or so, basically it was almost pitch black. Big red trucks bombing about with no lights on, those little 3 wheel trucks everywhere and chinese people stumbling around since they cant walk in a straight line in this country, not paying any attention to where they are going, there was even less traffic rules than normal in here too. The floor was completely covered in bits of old fruit too so you're slipping about all over the place, occassionally treading on a big lump of watermelon or something and wondering if it was actually a body. In the end we got some bananas, grapes, and apples saving about 10rmb than if we'd just gone to the shop.
We have one of those up the street from where I live. It's exactly like you wrote it. They are probably all the same all over the country. Those 3-wheeler carts are menace and they don't give a gently caress. The prices are barely better than the supermarket, but now you're forced to haggle and waste time with that. My boss took me the one near here when I first got back, and about 10 minutes I was told to go away because everyone is raising prices. I sat in the car for like 30 minutes because walking around was constant near-death experiences with the vehicles. My boss got in the car and said "I hate this place. Every time I come here, I remember why I don't go here." She actually orders most of her fruit on Taobao, and she regularly gets cases of every kind of fruit delivered to her house.

It also brings up a cultural thing that makes no sense to me: Time doesn't equal money. Money equals money. Time doesn't matter at all. People will go to extraordinary lengths to save money, not realizing that the time they used could have been spent doing something better or more interesting, or that wasting hours of their life is something they can't get back later no matter how much money they save or get. It's like they think they are screwing over the universe by doing this, breaking the system.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Daily Racism -
January 27, 2017:

This was last night, so the date is wrong. I was taking a night time walk as I usually do, but especially enjoying it because the city is so dead and quiet. The sidewalks were completely empty, and I encountered another white guy out for exercise and we gave each other a knowing nod at our good fortune.
I was looking at the different displays of lighted lanterns, Christmas lights, glowing characters, etc. I stopped (on the sidewalk) at one particularly gaudy display to admire it. The security guard stood up when he saw me approach. While I was looking at it, he quickly moved over to the pole where all the wires were plugged in. I took out my phone to take a photo, and he immediately switched off the electricity to the display. I looked at him, he looked at me, and then he took out his phone to pretend to play phone. I left.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Free hotdog at the gas station when you fill your tank? That sure sounds like it's worth spending an hour on the road and 4 gallons of gas for!

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It is a foggy winter day. The air tastes of burning. On the crossroads people are squatting and burning paper iphone 7 rosegolds to the dead. Bungbungche's line the streets waiting for passengers. A stray dog begs. I go inside the agricultural bank. It is hot inside. People still have their winter coats on in the 30c heat. Everyone but the staff is sweating. Drip, drip, drip. A grandmother is leaning on a mop by a brown bucket. Everyone is sniffling, blowing their noses and hacking onto the floor. I get a ticket and wait. Drip. There are ten counters and three bank tellers. A child starts screaming, then the parents let him go. Off he runs doing laps of the chairs slapping their backs. Drip. Slap. A phone rings next to me. Wei? Wei? Wei? A middle aged woman starts screaming at the bank tellers 'Why is this taking so long? I have important things to do. Why cant you go faster? I need to go to a meeting'. The bank tellers say the sorrys then ignore her. Drip. Slap. Wei? The woman storms off saying she'll have them all beaten up and pulls the fire alarm. Drip. Slap. Wei? Alarm. The tellers start telling people to get out, the banks closed, they need to restart the system. Everyone starts yelling. I walk out and put on my mask. No banking for me today.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
WEI!?? WEI!???? NIGGA, NIGGA, NIGGA, NIGGA, WEI!?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Magna Kaser posted:

One time I asked an Asian dude in my gym in China how many sets he had left on some machine (in Chinese), and he yelled at me in English about how he was American and I shouldn't assume everyone speaks Chinese in China, so I guess I am actually the most guilty of this.

You're guilty of using logic. If someone looks like the same ethnicity as everyone else in the country you're in, you're allowed to start off on the assumption they speak that country's language. Either that or we have to start every conversation with a stranger with "Do you speak [language]?", which is retarded.

Your a Chinese dude in china? Yeah there's an expectation you speak Chinese.
Your a Whitish person in America? Yeah there's an expectation you speak English 'mercn.
Your a Latin in Colombia/Peru/Chile? Yeah there's an expectation you speak Spanish.
Your a Black/White/Latin in Brazil? Yeah there's an expectation you speak Portugese.

Getting upset when that expectation isn't met is stupid and childish though.

I was in Argentina and this guy stopped me in the street and started babbling at me and I didn't understand a word. He switches to broken Spanish and I pick out that he's Brazilian and thought I was too. I explain I'm a gringo dumbass and no I barely speak Spanish and we had a good laugh. Later a bank teller started handing over reais for some reason so maybe I do look Brazilian?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

I think that was Blistex. Am not an English teacher, so cannot comment.

In Korea this would happen occasionally, but the "7:00am Christians" were an even bigger pain in the rear end.

In China I had to dump a SIM card after a month because I would get call all hours of the day and night from people saying "Hello" and either hanging up or trying to schedule English turtoring. The next card I got I never gave to anyone I didn't 100% trust, and when my office said they couldn't contact me any more on my old SIM I told them to call the land line at my apartment or just email me. I'm 99% sure they were the ones that leaked my number.

So new development!

Like I said, my wife is pregnant with a hybrid, so we're going to fly the in-laws back over to take care of her. This is pretty much a necessity since I just accepted a job in Calgary (we live in Ontario) and she will not be moving with me as she has a job here. In-laws are probably going to arrive in April, so my wife has 2 months to fend for herself (I'm flying out on Monday!). Pregnant women can sometimes be big babies, and from my observations Chinese women are always big babies when they are pregnant. I'm really, really hoping that my wife stands her ground and doesn't take any pregnancy medicine that my mother in law is sure to bring over. I'm going to try and get my wife to convince her that there are new regulations about flying with pills, etc. And that she won't be able to bring any.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Everyone is constantly in everyone else's way, but they only notice when it's a foreigner. Then the teeth sucking begins.

mrbotus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 27, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Man travelling home realises he's been cycling 500km in wrong direction 30 days into journey

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

BCR posted:

It is a foggy winter day. The air tastes of burning. On the crossroads people are squatting and burning paper iphone 7 rosegolds to the dead. Bungbungche's line the streets waiting for passengers. A stray dog begs. I go inside the agricultural bank. It is hot inside. People still have their winter coats on in the 30c heat. Everyone but the staff is sweating. Drip, drip, drip. A grandmother is leaning on a mop by a brown bucket. Everyone is sniffling, blowing their noses and hacking onto the floor. I get a ticket and wait. Drip. There are ten counters and three bank tellers. A child starts screaming, then the parents let him go. Off he runs doing laps of the chairs slapping their backs. Drip. Slap. A phone rings next to me. Wei? Wei? Wei? A middle aged woman starts screaming at the bank tellers 'Why is this taking so long? I have important things to do. Why cant you go faster? I need to go to a meeting'. The bank tellers say the sorrys then ignore her. Drip. Slap. Wei? The woman storms off saying she'll have them all beaten up and pulls the fire alarm. Drip. Slap. Wei? Alarm. The tellers start telling people to get out, the banks closed, they need to restart the system. Everyone starts yelling. I walk out and put on my mask. No banking for me today.
LOL. Good stuff!

The "paper" burning is pissing me off because it's all plastic, or people are so lazy they are on the sidewalk or outside their front doors (inside the building) burning the entire (plastic) bag of paper stuff at once. It's basically a garbage fire with plastic particles in the air. It's noxious as heck.

Blistex posted:

In Korea this would happen occasionally, but the "7:00am Christians" were an even bigger pain in the rear end.

In China I had to dump a SIM card after a month because I would get call all hours of the day and night from people saying "Hello" and either hanging up or trying to schedule English turtoring. The next card I got I never gave to anyone I didn't 100% trust, and when my office said they couldn't contact me any more on my old SIM I told them to call the land line at my apartment or just email me. I'm 99% sure they were the ones that leaked my number.

So new development!

Like I said, my wife is pregnant with a hybrid, so we're going to fly the in-laws back over to take care of her. This is pretty much a necessity since I just accepted a job in Calgary (we live in Ontario) and she will not be moving with me as she has a job here. In-laws are probably going to arrive in April, so my wife has 2 months to fend for herself (I'm flying out on Monday!). Pregnant women can sometimes be big babies, and from my observations Chinese women are always big babies when they are pregnant. I'm really, really hoping that my wife stands her ground and doesn't take any pregnancy medicine that my mother in law is sure to bring over. I'm going to try and get my wife to convince her that there are new regulations about flying with pills, etc. And that she won't be able to bring any.
Goondolences. Your first mistake was everything. Your second mistake was inviting the in-laws.

Chinese women are big babies in general, IMO, but that big-babiness increases exponentially if they are pregnant because the cultural attitude of "OMG, SHE GONNA LOSE THE BABY IF SHE SO MUCH AS SNEEZES~!!!!!" insane pampering and TCM bullshit controlling everything about it. I am still surprised women are carrying until birth with all of the mumbo-jumbo that the families force during pregnancy.

nickmeister posted:

Everyone is constantly in everyone else's way, but they only notice when it's a foreigner. Then the teeth sucking begins.
I have come to hate the teeth sucking so much that the second I hear it I start blatantly being rude or aggressive because I'm already in the wrong for existing.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Blistex posted:

I'm going to try and get my wife to convince her that there are new regulations about flying with pills, etc. And that she won't be able to bring any.

TCM doesn't work in Canada because maple trees interfere with Qi.

Congrats on the new job. :toot:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Beachcomber posted:

TCM doesn't work in Canada because maple trees interfere with Qi.

Congrats on the new job. :toot:

Thanks. I'm finishing up the rest of the year for a teacher who left, but there is a very good chance it will turn into a permanent gig. Best of all (besides paying 2x what my last job did) I don't have to tiptoe around the only thing that is more infuriating and backwards that Chinese culture and TCM (First Nations Culture and TNM).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My in-laws were a big help when my wife was recovering from childbirth and I was still working. I just had to dissuade them of a few things like jostling the baby to calm it or feeding it a bottle full of water instead of breastmilk when it cried. My mother-in -law still insisted on feeding my wife bowl after bowl of fish stew for healthy but it didn't endanger her life and my wife is smart enough to feed herself real food as well. The isolation thing never came up really since my wife had fairly intensive survey due to complications and was more or less need ridden for a month anyway. But mother-in-law said it was common practice when she was growing up.

Meanwhile my father-in-law got bored and decided dishes by an open window were going to get ruined by Bangkok pollution and put them under my sink. They got moldy instead.

Then some goons photoshopped my baby and he saw the results and cursed me out publicly. I haven't spoken to him since.

Mother-in-law is still great though! She's making tacos for Chinese New Year eve in Taiwan because she was so taken with them when I cooked some while they were in town helping with the baby.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm the guy in the park whipping the spinning top for 10-15 hours every day, all day, rain or shine. Seriously. I'm that guy. Just kill me now. My family hates me and I have nothing left in my life except to whip a loving toy before sun up until after sun down.

Or, sometimes I am the shirtless guy doing Shaolin whipping exercises for 8 hours and not really getting a work out.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Atlas Hugged posted:

Then some goons photoshopped my baby and he saw the results and cursed me out publicly. I haven't spoken to him since.

Wait, what?

Haier posted:

Or, sometimes I am the shirtless guy doing Shaolin whipping exercises for 8 hours and not really getting a work out.

Isn't the point not to actually exert one's self? It's pretty LOL when I think of all the kung fu movies I grew up watching that feature strenuous conditioning. Yeah, obviously not everyone is a martial artist, but the fact that there is very little exercise culture in China is funny.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atlas Hugged posted:

What did they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

nickmeister posted:

Wait, what?

Blistex posted:

What did they do?

I'm in some Line groups with goons. I sent a photo of my newborn to the group. The guys then did some body horror stuff, giving the baby teeth, then turning his eyes into teeth, then texturing him to be made out of corn or Trump's hair, that kind of thing. It was nothing less than I expected. I showed my wife because she's pretty cool about that kind of thing. She thought they were funny and the photos starting circulating. Her brothers thought they were loving hilarious and her aunts just thought it was weird western humor that they didn't understand. But her dad freaked the gently caress out.

He screamed at me in English using all the curse words he had learned and basically just made an rear end out of himself. Naturally when he found an app on his phone that let him do basically the same thing he suddenly thought it was hilarious. Anyway, he'd been on thin ice with me already. A goon came over before this happened to visit me and my father-in-law walked up to the guy and started telling him about how I lacked passion for my baby. Later that same day I was drinking beer with my goon buddy and watching the baby and he walked up to the baby and said, "Oh, can you smell your daddy's alcohol? He smells like alcohol, yes he does!"

Later I found out that the reason why the other uncles who married into the family only make the briefest of appearances at family events is because they all hate him too! It's weird because if you meet him in five minute bursts he's the nicest guy in the world and I thought myself super lucky to be marrying a woman with such a relaxed dad, but then her and her brothers started letting me in on that if he gets something stuck in his craw he turns into a complete bastard. He was the dude that while he was doing his military service he would take smoke breaks to tell the other men that smoking was bad for them and that they should quit. Every. Single. Day. He's super proud of that.

• Locked thread