Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Kill Beast, bring back Cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

Oh dont get me wrong i have faith in ewing to write something good, i just have no faith in editorial mandate to hand down good directives for inhumans at this point

The editorial mandate for Contest of Champions was "write a tie-in comic for this iPad game" and Ewing managed to make something incredible, so I don't see why he couldn't do the same for Royals.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rhonne posted:

What would be the most unsatisfying ending for IvX?

the absolute most unsatisfying and annoying option? Inhumans 'win', mutants die, we get yet another rehash of the 'no more mutants' -> 'one very special baby' -> time bullshit -> 'why'd we even do this' concepts.

The most likely unsatisfying ending? They find a last minute way to reduce but maintain the death cloud so the Inhumans keep their magic fart gas, X-Men somehow apologize for not wanting to be genocided and leave the Inhumans alone without any followup 'so you were just gonna let us die for your weird eugenics thing huh', any major damage is undone or compensated for with replacements for lost locations and poo poo and this was just a way to kill time with an 'event' that will be forgotten quickly.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the absolute most unsatisfying and annoying option? Inhumans 'win', mutants die, we get yet another rehash of the 'no more mutants' -> 'one very special baby' -> time bullshit -> 'why'd we even do this' concepts.

The most likely unsatisfying ending? They find a last minute way to reduce but maintain the death cloud so the Inhumans keep their magic fart gas, X-Men somehow apologize for not wanting to be genocided and leave the Inhumans alone without any followup 'so you were just gonna let us die for your weird eugenics thing huh', any major damage is undone or compensated for with replacements for lost locations and poo poo and this was just a way to kill time with an 'event' that will be forgotten quickly.

We know some of the fall out the royals go to the moon, and the x-men have their school in Central Park

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

Actually the Inhumans are cool and nice and good! :colbert:

Yeah all of the Inhumans titles have been very good. Until this crossover about a fight between two sides decided to make one really dumb for... some... reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP-hMSQEAE4

IT'S THE SAME HERO V HERO EVENT AS THE LAST HALF DOZEN

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well in Uncanny right now Maximus is about to crack the code for Terrigen and whip up his own, so he could potentially end the conflict by going "Hey guys I have new crystals, we don't have to rely on the death cloud!" but he's Maximus, so he's probably gonna be a huge rear end in a top hat about it somehow. Probably make a second death cloud that will kill everyone for kicks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

in the miles spider-man book they had shield doing a fake drug bust over artificial terrigen as a shield thing. the cloud makes even less sense if you can just make that poo poo

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Beast is cool and nice and good! :colbert:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Well in Uncanny right now Maximus is about to crack the code for Terrigen and whip up his own, so he could potentially end the conflict by going "Hey guys I have new crystals, we don't have to rely on the death cloud!" but he's Maximus, so he's probably gonna be a huge rear end in a top hat about it somehow. Probably make a second death cloud that will kill everyone for kicks.

And poo poo like this is exactly the reason I love Maximus.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Beast sucks.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

in the miles spider-man book they had shield doing a fake drug bust over artificial terrigen as a shield thing. the cloud makes even less sense if you can just make that poo poo

Except wasn't the artificial terrigen just a fake part of Maria Hill's incredibly convoluted SHIELD initiation test?

Teenage Fansub posted:

whoa whoa, now you're undermining my defense of Inhumans.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The editorial mandate for Contest of Champions was "write a tie-in comic for this iPad game" and Ewing managed to make something incredible, so I don't see why he couldn't do the same for Royals.

Its weird cuz i swear i said in the post that you're quoting that i said i think Ewing can write a good story. not to mention no one actually gave a poo poo about contest of champions (even though, yes it was a fun book) since it had no ramifications on anything whatsoever (except a mention of iso-8 in ultimates 1 and thats it)

But editorial brought us ivx and so far not exactly excellent???

site fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 27, 2017

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doctor Strange was good. The whole arc has been weirdly fun.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Kill Beast, bring back Cyclops.

Kill Beast, bring back pre-Morrison Beast. Then kill young Cyclops.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

young cyclops is alright

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

site posted:

Its weird cuz i swear i said in the post that you're quoting that i said i think Ewing can write a good story. not to mention no one actually gave a poo poo about contest of champions (even though, yes it was a fun book) since it had no ramifications on anything whatsoever (except a mention of iso-8 in ultimates 1 and thats it)

But editorial brought us ivx and so far not exactly excellent???

Oh, don't get me wrong, I get where you're coming from. I'm just saying that it's hard for me, at least, to get too worked up over Bad Editorial Mandates when Ewing has a track record of writing really good stories, editorial mandates be damned. Hell, his first (I think?) Marvel work was a loving Age of Ultron crossover, and it was really good, and anyone who can spin gold out of that particular pile of dung-covered straw is worth having some faith in, is all I'm saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

young cyclops is alright

But one day he'll grow up into Cyclops!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

But one day he'll grow up into Cyclops!

yea and that guy's dead so w/e

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is he though? Is he really?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I made the wise decision to read Hulk and T.A. Hulk after CWII: The Oath (utter garbage - I have no idea what he's even trying to say with HydraCap, and I'm not sure he does anymore as it's just half-baked allegory and contemporaneous references), and I continue to be blown away by how drat effective Hulk is. (http://comicsalliance.com/strip-panel-naked-tamki-leon-hulk/) I am so invested, the characters are all memorable, and I am loving the tension of her struggle to contain her anger and rage and the creative team are working so well together. Even the logo is clever!

T.A. Hulk was just lovely, with the heroes hanging out, doing actual good for people and the fight over the bill was wonderful. As a bonus, both these issues feature gay characters revealed in natural ways, to the enhancement of the issue and the supporting cast.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh yeah, Totally Awesome Hulk was great this week. I actually kinda thought it was a little unremarkable until the bill fight happened and then suddenly I was like, "Ah, I get it now. I see what you're going for here, Greg Pak. :buddy:"

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.comicbookherald.com/my-marvelous-year/
I've had the really dumb idea to go through all of this

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I liked that last She Hulk run as much as anyone else, but if you were to tell last-year-me that right now the book I'm most excited about is "Hulk" starring Jen who isn't even in her green form anymore, I'd be (have been?) pretty skeptical. And Iron Man starring a teen(?) girl. And Iron Man starring Dr. Doom. Like Marvel I don't know what the hell you're doing these days but it's working for me. They managed to get me to not even care much that the X-line is mostly bland.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Okay, I don't follow Inhumans religiously because my hackles go up if I feel something is being pushed. I'm a contrary dick, sue me. But, the general outline of IvX is:

1) The Inhumans build a sovereign nation off the coast of New York, America is cool with this for some reason.
2) Blackagar Boltagon releases the Terrigen cloud with a bomb?
3a) Terrigen mists mutate people (Usually into monsters, sometimes into something useful), and once you're an Inhuman Attilan claims sovereignty over you?
3b) If you're a mutant it kills you

And now the X-Men are trying to stop the cloud because they don't want to be genocided or forced to abandon the planet? Yet they seem to be being portrayed as the bad guys? Inhumans are against the cloud being stopped because it's holy to them? Kamala is involved for some reason despite coming out of CWII going 'Man, hero-on-hero fights are loving retarded'? I feel like I'm missing a lot of pieces, or much like how Marvel was pushing Carol in CWII, they're completely tonedeaf as to who the audience will sympathize with?

also beast continues to be a fuckhead.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody tell this person how the city was set up and the cloud was released, cause it means they haven't read Infinity and need to drop everything and correct their lives.

edit: Man, looking back, that was such a good time. Did anything come of Thanos' son?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 28, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Someone literally needs to grab the entire Hickman run of Avengers and all its related books. Start with the Now stuff and keep going until the end of Secret Wars.

Maybe that's why Marvel feels so lackluster lately, we just got off like 2 years of fantastic books and the majors aren't measuring up to that.

Thane showed up in the Black Vortex Guadians/X-men crossover event, and was involved in the destruction of Hala. Wait was he the one who destroyed Hala? I can't remember.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

edit: Man, looking back, that was such a good time. Did anything come of Thanos' son?

well in the current thanos book, he's recruiting some people to kill his dad

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The city was invisible and floating over Manhattan, but yes. The Inhumans are huge jerks who only pay lip service to caring about anyone else as long as it doesn't cost them anything. Black Bolt was already planning to detonate the bomb and gently caress up millions of peoples' lives without warning even before Thanos attacked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're such horrible, evil people with their last four years of diplomacy and peacekeeping on Earth. Such a scourge.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...What...diplomacy and peacekeeping? Their little precious pet Ulysses threw the superhuman community into yet another war with his badly-written powers and their cloud is causing pain, suffering, and death across the planet. The most that Crystal's big ol' diplomatic ship has done is make not-North-Korea kind of angry. I'm seriously struggling to recall one single good thing they've done for the world and, look, we can only say "they gave us Kamala and Lunella" so many times before it doesn't count anymore.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

They're at least moderately complicit in mutant genocide if their response to not being able to contain the cloud problem is 'welp, them's the breaks, tough luck muties but the cloud is sacred'.

I'm surprised the nations of the world are completely chill with their citizens being inhuman'd and put under Medusa's watch. Are they chill with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

They're such horrible, evil people with their last four years of diplomacy and peacekeeping on Earth. Such a scourge.

Yes. Yes they are. You've got some weird hard-on for the Inhumans but literally nothing they do can justify the current status quo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're chill with it because the Inhumans are total Yaas Queens.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

...Is that becoming shorthand for 'character/s Marvel wants us to like'?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You've got some weird hard-on for the Inhumans

Yeah, I read Soule's comics and liked 'em. Bizarre.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Yes they are. You've got some weird hard-on for the Inhumans but literally nothing they do can justify the current status quo.

Yeah you can like the individual books and even the characters but objectively the SQ they are in makes them bad guys.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yeah, I read Soule's comics and liked 'em. Bizarre.

You can't accept any criticism of them, it is indeed bizarre.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Clawtopsy posted:

...Is that becoming shorthand for 'character/s Marvel wants us to like'?

That's how I was using it!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Maybe soule is giving us a really bad allegory for child soldiers, hook em with a can't say no stuff and make them fight for a kingdom that doesn't give a poo poo about anything but self perpetuation

I'd also like to apologize to divinecoffeebinge, I slipped on my alcoholism last night and was unnecessarily antagonistic last night and you didn't deserve it. I'm sorry

site fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This reminds me of all those "moral choices" crpgs where both sides are really likeable but really want to do something unforgiveably monstrous that makes no sense and they refuse to talk it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Clawtopsy posted:

Okay, I don't follow Inhumans religiously because my hackles go up if I feel something is being pushed. I'm a contrary dick, sue me. But, the general outline of IvX is:

1) The Inhumans build a sovereign nation off the coast of New York, America is cool with this for some reason.
2) Blackagar Boltagon releases the Terrigen cloud with a bomb?
3a) Terrigen mists mutate people (Usually into monsters, sometimes into something useful), and once you're an Inhuman Attilan claims sovereignty over you?
3b) If you're a mutant it kills you

And now the X-Men are trying to stop the cloud because they don't want to be genocided or forced to abandon the planet? Yet they seem to be being portrayed as the bad guys? Inhumans are against the cloud being stopped because it's holy to them? Kamala is involved for some reason despite coming out of CWII going 'Man, hero-on-hero fights are loving retarded'? I feel like I'm missing a lot of pieces, or much like how Marvel was pushing Carol in CWII, they're completely tonedeaf as to who the audience will sympathize with?

also beast continues to be a fuckhead.

You mixed up 1 and 2. Attilan was hovering near NYC and everybody was kinda okay with it because hey I guess this is just Marvel NYC and that's Tuesday for them. Then Thanos attacked, the whole purpose of which was to find his hidden Inhuman son whose powers had not been activated. Black Bolt set off a bomb, releasing the mists and dumping the city into the Hudson (or maybe the East) River, in order to activate the kid's Inhuman powers as a big "gently caress you" to Thanos. It's important to note that BB didn't run this plan by anybody so all the inhumans were kinda surprised to see their home blow up and their sacred crystals just kinda dissolve in a flash. It's also why BB is no longer king, because once you detonate your kingdom, you lose your peoples' support (also this was during Hickman's whole run and they found out he was blowing up alternate earths, which a lot of people weren't cool with). The Inhumans took what was left of their city, made lemonade out of the lemons and built a nation/embassy off the coast. And America is cool with it because... okay I don't think they ever gave a reason. Maybe Norman Osborn will blow it up, he tends to attack superhero nations on/hovering over America. Your #3a isn't exactly accurate either. The terrigen mutates people with hidden Inhuman DNA (almost like some sort of... X-gene? :iamafag:) and some get good powers and some get hosed. It really is a mutant-lite situation. Once all the Inhumans' powers activate, they have the choice to go to Professor X's mansion New Attilan and get training to gain better control over their powers and live there, but nobody's forced into it. Soule did introduce other factions of Inhumans, like one ran by this guy named Lash who goes and finds new Inhumans and if he judges them weak, just fuckin' kills them. #3b is totally accurate and leads to bad events.

Clawtopsy posted:

They're at least moderately complicit in mutant genocide if their response to not being able to contain the cloud problem is 'welp, them's the breaks, tough luck muties but the cloud is sacred'.

I'm surprised the nations of the world are completely chill with their citizens being inhuman'd and put under Medusa's watch. Are they chill with it?

They're not really, but the Inhumans have done their best to chart the cloud's course and do poo poo like give governments time to give warnings to areas that are in the cloud's path, since for a loving gas, in most comics it's been featured in it can be avoided by going inside. Like the start of Death of X was them approaching a city in Japan that's been given an evacuation notice. A lot of people seem to be rolling the dice and hanging around though (I guess a lot of people would if there's a chance for superpowers).

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah you can like the individual books and even the characters but objectively the SQ they are in makes them bad guys.

It is not a status quo it is a contrivance set up to sell an event.

BrianWilly posted:

...What...diplomacy and peacekeeping? Their little precious pet Ulysses threw the superhuman community into yet another war with his badly-written powers and their cloud is causing pain, suffering, and death across the planet. The most that Crystal's big ol' diplomatic ship has done is make not-North-Korea kind of angry. I'm seriously struggling to recall one single good thing they've done for the world and, look, we can only say "they gave us Kamala and Lunella" so many times before it doesn't count anymore.

Ulysses stopped a celestial, Captain Marvel's the one who decided to hook him up to a million TV screens and make him into a pre-crime machine

• Locked thread