Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

The original academic aspects of feminism are great. The modern ones are an ever-encroaching system of unprovable dogma that seem designed to seep into every minor facet of life in the most insufferable way possible while being buttressed by the most raw tribalism imaginable.

Can you outline some specific ideas you think are good, and some that you think are bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

The original academic aspects of feminism are great. The modern ones are an ever-encroaching system of unprovable dogma that seem designed to seep into every minor facet of life in the most insufferable way possible while being buttressed by the most raw tribalism imaginable.

My original assertion stands. Modern feminism is a loving complex beast and your lack of interest in it, beyond being offended, is really showing.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
That's not quite true, there's no easy dividing line between new=bad and old=good, even older feminism had its share of batshit stuff (see: scum manifesto). It still doesn't invalidate everything else, you just have to be willing to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's frustrating when you have super-defensive peeps like boner confessor, but feminism is a movement and an evolving ideology, both necessary and desirable.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

Can you outline some specific ideas you think are good, and some that you think are bad?

Well, it's gone back and forth previously on this topic but I think equality of opportunity is great but complaining about equality of outcome can be bad, especially in the modern context. There shouldn't be any barriers for women to pursue whatever career they want or higher education. However, the idea that 50/50 in every employment position is the only acceptable outcome when women clearly choose on their own to go into fields that prevent that outcome is bad. Especially when the explanation for that fact veers into conspiracy theory territory and robs the very women you're trying to speak for of their own agency. At that point it's no longer about attaining equality, but assuring hegemony and total adherence to an ideology regardless of the wants and desires of the people the ideology claims to represent.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Equality of outcome = equality of opportunity, because women are just as capable as men for almost every profession. But that's not what the data shows, so there's clearly some problem.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

rudatron posted:

That's not quite true, there's no easy dividing line between new=bad and old=good, even older feminism had its share of batshit stuff (see: scum manifesto). It still doesn't invalidate everything else, you just have to be willing to separate the wheat from the chaff.

It's frustrating when you have super-defensive peeps like boner confessor, but feminism is a movement and an evolving ideology, both necessary and desirable.

At a base level all I really want is people who are willing to live the life they want to enforce on other people. This goes for Christians, feminists, whoever. I don't think being critical of hypocrisy and tribalism in certain popular segments of any of those ideologies should be construed as a wholesale rejection of the underlying principles. One of the glaring flaws of modern feminism is that they precisely cannot and will not separate the wheat from the chaff for whatever reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Well, it's gone back and forth previously on this topic but I think equality of opportunity is great but complaining about equality of outcome can be bad, especially in the modern context. There shouldn't be any barriers for women to pursue whatever career they want or higher education. However, the idea that 50/50 in every employment position is the only acceptable outcome when women clearly choose on their own to go into fields that prevent that outcome is bad. Especially when the explanation for that fact veers into conspiracy theory territory and robs the very women you're trying to speak for of their own agency. At that point it's no longer about attaining equality, but assuring hegemony and total adherence to an ideology regardless of the wants and desires of the people the ideology claims to represent.

That bit I said about you having no interest in anything but the pseudo-academia poo poo that you're already determined to hate?

This right here is what I'm getting at. Other posters have answered these assertions in loving detail but this post indicates you're not reading the replies.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

rudatron posted:

Equality of outcome = equality of opportunity, because women are just as capable as men for almost every profession. But that's not what the data shows, so there's clearly some problem.

No it doesn''t. Humans are not robots. Equality of opportunity does not result in a magical 50/50 stat split on everything because humans aren't easily measurable commodities that fall into their supposed mathematical place. If we were, COmmunism would have triumphed long ago and that's why I use it as an analogy.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

So like you don't have any specific theories to point to, got it. Have you ever actually read any feminist theory? Pretty conservative to lust for a return for the past without understanding literally anything.

Equality of opportunity is both incredibly nebulous and utterly meaningless if you don't have substantive societal reform.

Also, quotas are good, and the only person robbing women of their agency is you. How much choice does a woman or man when patriachal society has socialized them in a sexist manner?

Ps. An ideology that views women and men as both being loving people, jesus loving christ, is a good thing, and not so much an ideology as basic human decency, hth

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Somfin posted:

That bit I said about you having no interest in anything but the pseudo-academia poo poo that you're already determined to hate?

This right here is what I'm getting at. Other posters have answered these assertions in loving detail but this post indicates you're not reading the replies.

I read every single one, I just didn't agree with them. It veers too far into pseudo-religious dogma and cult-like behavior. You're asked to take shitloads of unprovable things on faith because the ideology demands you to. It's much less an educational experience than one of indoctrination.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

It veers too far into pseudo-religious dogma and cult-like behavior.

But enough about you and gamergate

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

So like you don't have any specific theories to point to, got it. Have you ever actually read any feminist theory? Pretty conservative to lust for a return for the past without understanding literally anything.

Equality of opportunity is both incredibly nebulous and utterly meaningless if you don't have substantive societal reform.

Also, quotas are good, and the only person robbing women of their agency is you. How much choice does a woman or man when patriachal society has socialized them in a sexist manner?

Ps. An ideology that views women and men as both being loving people, jesus loving christ, is a good thing, and not so much an ideology as basic human decency, hth

You sound like a person yelling at me to read the bible more.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I read every single one, I just didn't agree with them. It veers too far into pseudo-religious dogma and cult-like behavior. You're asked to take shitloads of unprovable things on faith because the ideology demands you to. It's much less an educational experience than one of indoctrination.

And did you expect them to be that way before you read them?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i really doubt the guy who seeks out anti-feminist conspiracy theories on reddit has sacked up and plowed through any actual feminist writings yall

thats what we in the industry call "a lie"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

To put it another way, modern feminist theory needs to be able to survive debate outside of an environment where you take all the tenets of modern feminist theory as givens to begin the argument.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

You sound like a person yelling at me to read the bible more.

All I asked is for you to cite specific feminist theories you thought were good and bad; you didn't.

This is like coming into a calculus class, and every single session you raise your hand and ask the professor to spend twenty minutes on the times tables.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

To put it another way, modern feminist theory needs to be able to survive debate outside of an environment where you take all the tenets of modern feminist theory as givens to begin the argument.

"I'd like to debate the merits of a Diffie-Hellman key exchange...."

You: "well what if I do a cipher where I swap out all the a's with s's"

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

No it doesn''t. Humans are not robots. Equality of opportunity does not result in a magical 50/50 stat split on everything because humans aren't easily measurable commodities that fall into their supposed mathematical place. If we were, COmmunism would have triumphed long ago and that's why I use it as an analogy.
People don't have to be robots to, in aggregate, have predictable behavior. Statistics would be useless in sociology, psychology and political theory if this were not the case. If some subset of a population has a much greater than chance pertubation from the mean, they're has to be one or a set of causative factors.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
I've always thought that "equality of opportunity" would require a monumental shift to society at least on par with "equality of outcome." Like okay, we want everyone to have the same opportunities in life? Better make sure all schools are equal! All families must have comparable time off and ability to raise their kids! All access to mental healthcare had better be equal as well; how equal are the opportunities of someone with bipolar disorder and someone without? Hell we'd better just go whole hog and all children are shipped off to government child rearing centers at birth to ensure that their formative years are identical. Once you turn 18 and are released with your mandated Brand of Adulthood on the back of your palm it's up to you to meet that equality of outcome!

Wait. What thread is this again? Oh yeah, that's right. My dick and balls are adequately sized and I can sit on public transportation without taking up three seats.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

rudatron posted:

People don't have to be robots to, in aggregate, have predictable behavior. Statistics would be useless in sociology, psychology and political theory if this were not the case. If some subset of a population has a much greater than chance pertubation from the mean, they're has to be one or a set of causative factors.

This is true, but defaulting to "the devil" or "patriarchy" are both equally empty reasons when a multitude of other answers can just as easily fill the void.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

This is true, but defaulting to "the devil" or "patriarchy" are both equally empty reasons when a multitude of other answers can just as easily fill the void.

Do you have any actual theories you like or dislikes?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I've always thought that "equality of opportunity" would require a monumental shift to society at least on par with "equality of outcome." Like okay, we want everyone to have the same opportunities in life? Better make sure all schools are equal! All families must have comparable time off and ability to raise their kids! All access to mental healthcare had better be equal as well; how equal are the opportunities of someone with bipolar disorder and someone without? Hell we'd better just go whole hog and all children are shipped off to government child rearing centers at birth to ensure that their formative years are identical. Once you turn 18 and are released with your mandated Brand of Adulthood on the back of your palm it's up to you to meet that equality of outcome!

Wait. What thread is this again? Oh yeah, that's right. My dick and balls are adequately sized and I can sit on public transportation without taking up three seats.

You're hitting the nail on the head here, my friend. The answer isn't in shallow identity politics that divide us, it's in uniting and striving for the basic things everyone needs to live to be distributed in an equitable fashion. Or, we could complain about the way dudes sit on empty buses.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

Do you have any actual theories you like or dislikes?

Gravity is a great one, has never failed me. I never had a proponent of gravity beating me over the head with it while they were floating around immune to it's effects in front of me.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Great Metal Jesus posted:

I've always thought that "equality of opportunity" would require a monumental shift to society at least on par with "equality of outcome." Like okay, we want everyone to have the same opportunities in life? Better make sure all schools are equal! All families must have comparable time off and ability to raise their kids! All access to mental healthcare had better be equal as well; how equal are the opportunities of someone with bipolar disorder and someone without?

This all sounds unironically good, so

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Gravity is a great one, has never failed me. I never had a proponent of gravity beating me over the head with it while they were floating around immune to it's effects in front of me.

So you're gonna sit and kvetch about how modern feminism sucks and old academic feminism was great, but you can't enumerate why?

You sound exactly like white republicans who love to hate on BLM while citing MLK Jr at them

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

Well at least we finally agree on something.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The answer isn't in shallow identity politics that divide us

...says the guy who has a disturbing, pathological disgust with feminism

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Okay, but we also know that gender norms exist, and they have a measurable impact on behavior, even if they're not actually true - there's been a study done which, by telling one group of women that 'women do badly' on that test, and not telling your control group that, the control group will actually perform much better. We also know that studies done to try and prove biological determinism have usually failed, or use dubious methodology, that's later overturned.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Well at least we finally agree on something.

So how exactly would you mandate educational reform, given your immense lust for screeching about quotas

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

stone cold posted:

Oh yeah, I'm actually for that part. It's somewhere after that that the fever I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with started to take me. It was meant more as a rebuttal to the idea that equality of opportunity is easier than equality of outcome; I think both would enormous challenges and efforts to implement either would end up looking fairly similar.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

stone cold posted:

So how exactly would you mandate educational reform, given your immense lust for screeching about quotas

Education along gender lines has largely been fixed as much as it can in the current cash-based system. More women are already earning degrees than men and getting more educational financial aid to boot. It's no longer a matter of education unless we get real serious and decide that it's time to stop putting people into debt for it and shutting poor people out of it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

rudatron posted:

Okay, but we also know that gender norms exist, and they have a measurable impact on behavior, even if they're not actually true - there's been a study done which, by telling one group of women that 'women do badly' on that test, and not telling your control group that, the control group will actually perform much better. We also know that studies done to try and prove biological determinism have usually failed, or use dubious methodology, that's later overturned.

This is the placebo effect, not the patriarchy. Also, I'm not co-signing on biological determinism, but you don't have to do so to account for the fact that groups of people sometimes make different choices and it's not always because of your chosen ideology.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I have to go. I have to go meet some people who hate my unfuckable rear end out in public at a place of merriment.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

I have to go. I have to go meet some people who hate my unfuckable rear end out in public at a place of merriment.

Don't come back.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Skippy Granola posted:

That's a sticky one though - what really constitutes someone's best interests?

What's in the best interest for, say, a 50 year old accountant who is mother to three grown children and firmly believes life begins at conception?

What about a devoutly Catholic Latino real Estate agent who values law and order?

I mean, I'm kind of strawmanning here, making up diverse hypothetical people, but my point is that just because someone is a woman doesn't mean they will support reproductive rights and wish to see a woman in the white house. They might just be super mad about private email servers.

That's what I meant by reductive.

This dumb thread is moving fast, but you may be missing the point that people are surprised a woman would vote for trump (not necessarily that they didn't vote for Hillary), because he hates and demeans women. Plus the whole access to healthcare, equal rights thing that makes voting republican contradictory to your self interests, unless you're a very rich woman I guess.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
I have gigantic balls and an above average penis. My rear end is normal sized. I am able to sit on bus seats with my legs basically closed. Lol at trying to justify people being douchebags cuz of some lame excuse about testicles tho lol

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
new phone who dis (and others I guess), who is in effect worse for society today, contemporary feminists or contemporary anti-feminists?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Raldikuk posted:

I have gigantic balls and an above average penis. My rear end is normal sized. I am able to sit on bus seats with my legs basically closed. Lol at trying to justify people being douchebags cuz of some lame excuse about testicles tho lol

You Might get your dick and balls squeezed to gently caress if you cross them legs, But largely i agree.
Rude s.o.b's on the train putting their legs and stuff everywhere

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The size of my dick + balls prevents people moving in front of me, and takes up seating space on the opposite side of the bus, for seats facing the center, but the people either side of me are fine.

How will feminism help me cope with my monster dong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

rudatron posted:

Rude s.o.b's on the train putting their dick and balls everywhere

• Locked thread