Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have them all on one isolinear rod that holds 1.44 gigaquads of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I grew up watching reruns of TOS. I watched TWOK on either it's debut on ABC or one of the reruns long before TNG was ever a thing. So, that thing is steeped in nostalgia for me. Whenever I watch it, I'm 5 or 6 sitting in front of our 27 in console TV.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rhyno posted:

What the hell is going on with the film streaming rights? Nothing on Netflix and now Amazon wants to charge per movie to watch?
All of the TOS movies were on Hulu as of last month. I re-watched them as I was reading through the 50-year mission book.

Now Hulu only has 2, 3, and 5 for some dumb reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

:shrug:

I no longer own any films or tv shows on physical media.

I genuinely do not understand people who do this. Physical movies have drawbacks in taking up space, cost, etc., but they're still a better solution than everything else available. If you stream, you're at the mercy of the streaming service's given catalog that month. If you purchase through iTunes or whatever, you're usually paying the same as you would for a blu-ray without the added value of the bonus features. If you're pure digital, just a library of MP4s, then you run into the same lack of features as streaming, with the bonus negative of those movies taking up poo poo tons of space on cloud storage, hdds, etc.

Just buy blu-rays :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If not for my Xbox i wouldn't even have a way to play physical media and except for Lego Dimensions there's never a disc in it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

It's annoying. However, if you post in this tread and don't own the movies already, I don't know WTF.

I, without exaggeration, have bought ST:II 5 times over the years and will buy it again in a heartbeat if they ever get around to releasing the UHD blu-ray.

I own them in a box that I left behind at my family's house when I moved out along with all the other physical media I own and never ended up bothering to go back for because why bother they were on Netflix back then.

I should buy them on Google Play, I guess.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
If it's just DVD quality, Handbrake and MakeMKV work just fine to rip your DVDs. I don't have a PS4 but the .mkv output works fine on an external HD on my Xbone all for free.

If it's Blu Ray it's just a few bucks for MakeMKV to do Blu Ray.

It's the best of both worlds! You have physical and digital copies!

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 27, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I genuinely do not understand people who do this. Physical movies have drawbacks in taking up space, cost, etc., but they're still a better solution than everything else available. If you stream, you're at the mercy of the streaming service's given catalog that month. If you purchase through iTunes or whatever, you're usually paying the same as you would for a blu-ray without the added value of the bonus features. If you're pure digital, just a library of MP4s, then you run into the same lack of features as streaming, with the bonus negative of those movies taking up poo poo tons of space on cloud storage, hdds, etc.

I am slowly building a blu ray collection of my favorite movies. Most movies are rarely available on streaming services, and while Netflix is near blu ray quality, it still isn't.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I love how easy it is to convince Kira to rebel against the Bajoran government.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"But Kira... what if they're the bad guys?"

"No, you can't be right!"/"The younglings!"

"But... what if?"

"Lock and load motherfuckers!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Over on Star Trek Online, you can give the new NX-Refit a TOS-era hull plating if you want, it's an interesting thing to see.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

I love how easy it is to convince Kira to rebel against the Bajoran government.

Is it bad that I'm not even sure which episode you're referring to?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Mr. Kelly, I've been a big fan of your work.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Duckbag posted:

Is it bad that I'm not even sure which episode you're referring to?

I don't blame you for being confused, it happened like four or five times over the course of the series. You'd think she'd face some kind of charges for this.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MikeJF posted:

Over on Star Trek Online, you can give the new NX-Refit a TOS-era hull plating if you want, it's an interesting thing to see.

Looks like someone squished a ship down into half its original volume.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

Oh I like that, actually. More than the proper 1701. Not sure what it's doing in an episode of Babylon 5 though.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

sunday at work posted:

Looks like someone squished a ship down into half its original volume.

It's funny you mention ship size. I don't know if they ever fixed it, but when the game launched the interiors where nonsensically scaled up.

Captain: Helm, set a course for two oh three mark eight.
Helmsman: Sorry captain, did you say something?
Captain: SET A COURSE FOR TWO OH THREE MARK EIGHT!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Doggles posted:

It's funny you mention ship size. I don't know if they ever fixed it, but when the game launched the interiors where nonsensically scaled up.

most MMOs have gigantic rear end spaces everywhere there are likely to be a lot of players

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Doggles posted:

It was still pretty bad when I played last year. The Defiant bridge is the only one that isn't absolutely massive.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skasion posted:

most MMOs have gigantic rear end spaces everywhere there are likely to be a lot of players

If I remember correctly, starship bridges in STO aren't exactly big hubs of activity. Other players can only come to your bridge if you specifically invite them, and even then there's nothing for them to really do there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pakled posted:

If I remember correctly, starship bridges in STO aren't exactly big hubs of activity. Other players can only come to your bridge if you specifically invite them, and even then there's nothing for them to really do there.

And that's where you'd be wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw&t=109s

Orv
May 4, 2011
The scale in STO and a few other MMOs is mostly a camera and legibility thing. They want you to still see all the Star Trek poo poo without having to phase it out when your camera clips through it every few seconds. Of course then your cramped Klingon war bird is the size of Grand Central Station and it kind of ruins things.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was still pretty bad when I played last year. The Defiant bridge is the only one that isn't absolutely massive.

There's also "canon" Voyager and TOS interiors that are well-scaled. They *can* make interiors that aren't gigantic open space, but their 3rd-person camera is lovely and their artists are lazy so most interiors look like those screenshots.

I think you can invite 25 (or maybe it's 15) people to a ship interior so it's possible to fill a bridge with people.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I can tell you a health problems and genetics of a person in a far away starship or on the surface of a planet, but I usually have no idea when my own crew are injured, missing, or there's an intruder. Well, the computer knows, it just doesn't tell you unless you specifically ask.

Worf: "Direct hit! Hull breach detected on deck 10."
Computer: "Ensign Jones and lieutenant Geeblebork are no longer on board the Enterprise."
:ughh:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Doggles posted:

Cavernous MMO environments with no one in them, now I wonder if Swery was intentionally poking fun at that in Deadly Premonition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B23FBOEUrF4&t=38s

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Bates posted:

Worf: "Direct hit! Hull breach detected on deck 10."
Computer: "Ensign Jones and lieutenant Geeblebork are no longer on board the Enterprise."
:ughh:

I hope it would just be a long deadpan list.

Ensign Jones is no longer on board the Enterprise.
Commander Smith is no longer on board the Enterprise.
Lieutenant Commander Shumacher is no longer on board the Enterprise.
Lieutenant Yates is no longer on board the Enterprise.

Shut that drat thing off!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I just imagine the Enterprise/Starfleet computer is like Holly in Red Dwarf.

"Computer, where is Ensign Barlow?"
"Oh yeah, Klingons transported him off the ship 2 hours ago"
"Why didn't you let anyone know until now?"
"Nobody asked until now"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crazy idea, actually have a bridge station and crewman assigned to monitoring that that and reporting relevant information to the bridge or sickbay.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

I hope it would just be a long deadpan list.

In voy- "once upon a time", Naomi enters the holodeck for her bedtime story and the computer does a hilarious deadpan fairytale intro "Once. upon. a. time. In. the. enchanted. forest...."
It got a sincere chuckle from me.
Voyager is still Very Bad

(I'm hopping around voyager eps before Netflix Canada loses all trek once the new series comes out, I hate myself)

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why would you pay for Voyager when you can see it on Space for free

or watch reruns of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

or stab yourself in the throat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My dad loves Andromeda.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Tighclops posted:

Why would you pay for Voyager when you can see it on Space for free

or watch reruns of Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

Sado-masochism. The only possible answer.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dad loves Andromeda.

Season 1 is pretty good. Then Kevin Sorbo got creative control and Dylan Hunt became Space Christ.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When it started it was like "ok, this is Star Trek but if it got all hosed up and mashed up with 70's BSG" but then yeah they fired the dude from DS9 who did all the world-building and it went increasingly off the rails from there

Kazinsal posted:

Season 1 is pretty good. Then Kevin Sorbo got creative control and Dylan Hunt became Space Christ.

Your dad loves the AI Avatar's boobs

Also didn't Sorbo have a stroke or something that turned him into a religious fanatic

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Andromeda bums me out, because I saw the first episode at one point when I was a kid and really loving liked it. For some reason though, I never remembered the name and thought it didn't get picked up or something so I never saw it again until years later when a friend of mine who was an enthusiast of the show, told me I had to watch Andromeda. A little bit through the first ep and I realize that this was that great sci fi show I saw once as a kid and oh my god it got multiple seasons made. Heaven.

I didn't make it very far before I just stopped watching.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

My dad loves Andromeda.

My Uncle who was super into Catholic Mysticism was really into it too. I remember watching the first episode and the Batfaced Alien really grossed me out, it was just such a massively ugly makeup job.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I like that, actually. More than the proper 1701. Not sure what it's doing in an episode of Babylon 5 though.

That's the Krenim time lab, and to be honest the Krenim Timeship in Voyager was basically taken straight out of Babylon 5.

Pakled posted:

They had no idea back when they started, though, they figured they might get used as MMO hubs at some point. STO was thrown together on an insane schedule, they were just kinda hoping things might come in useful half the time.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2017

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

They had no idea back when they started, though, they figured they might get used as MMO hubs at some point. STO was thrown together on an insane schedule, they were just kinda hoping things might come in useful half the time.

I've always felt like STO is a big missed opportunity. I want something that's more like Skyrim Trek, or hell, maybe a Bioware RPG. The bridge crew game might be fun but I don't have VR so :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah, it was a big example of CBS not looking after the franchise. They gave the MMO rights to Perpetual for four years to develop, who did jack all, then yanked it from them and told cryptic they could have the licence if they shat out something playable in a year and a half. Which is basically impossible and the game's development is still 95% untangling the mess the game's codebase is. But yeah, there wasn't enough time or will to develop any actual cool trek-like gameplay, it was just 'oh god take the Champions Online engine and make something that vaguely works'

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WickedHate posted:

I've always felt like STO is a big missed opportunity. I want something that's more like Skyrim Trek, or hell, maybe a Bioware RPG. The bridge crew game might be fun but I don't have VR so :shrug:

Star Control II is the best Star Trek game