Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think the big issue for me is getting my viewpoint bounced around, even though I'm sitting still. Might explain why Monte Carlo and other "flat" tarmac stages don't affect me as much.

That said I'll try aspect lock tonight and see how it goes. :D

*edit*
Took some fumbling to find the aspect lock feature, but that looks like it did the trick. Now I just need to remember to shut my eyes if I'm about to wreck.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Mr new zealand, how deep in michigan?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Currently on sale for $15 on indiegala!

https://www.indiegala.com/store/product/310560

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Second day I've been disconnected trying to start the daily and get no credit. Boooooo.

The monthly event is stupid fun tho. Forgot how much in love the 60s cars. I spend to much time in Group B.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Yeah, the A110 is probably my favorite car in the game. Its a bit of a shame that its so overpowered compared to the two other 60's cars though.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yay, I finally bought this game! I'm looking forward to many crashes and spins.

Or both at the same time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMSmm-WI0yg

Not actually the first crash, nor the worst, and I've only done two races. This game is really brutal and I'm having a hard time believing this is the same group that made Dirt 3. (I also forgot to repair the car after that stage, but still managed to finish in 4th place overall!)

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 14, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hello I have this game on PS4 collecting dust and just recently got the PSVR what's this about VR now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The PSVR stuff is a $10 DLC, because hey if you've got VR you clearly have money to burn.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol even greedy rear end Battlefront released their mission free

But I suppose it's more content

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Just need to reiterate how much I loving hate Finland in this game.

I remain wholly unconvinced the top times are reproducible on demand within a few tries by the drivers, so much of it is luck of the draw for if your car is going to fly off the track when landing from a jump/bump. Can drive slowly and not get bounced around so much, but in a league with stage restarts, there's gonna be that guy who's planted his foot to the floor, prayed to the suspension physics gods, and somehow flown his way across the finish line.

Great stage for a Sunday jaunt just for funsies though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

There are a few sections of the track that have flipped my car for no realistic reason. But there are strategies you can take to deal with bouncing after landing. Make sure the car never lands with all 4 wheels at the same time, going at an angle or hitting the brakes or gas right at the apex of the jump can help with this.
Also I assume some of the bump and fast bump threshold settings can work - to a point at least. I've played with them a bit but don't know if any of my fiddling has actually helped.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Playing this in VR is easily my most immersive experience, I feel like I'm on roads that I've driven before in real life, just at way higher speeds. I also play a lot of iRacing, but the graphics seem a bit cartoony or something in comparison.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
A weird thing's happening as I play more of this: I'm still getting better and better at the tarmac stages (I got within a few seconds of Porkhammer's fastest time on one of the dailies in Germany a few days ago) but I'm now somehow getting worse at all the loose surface stages. Can't explain it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Pretty easy to explain really, driving on tarmac is very different from driving on loose surfaces, more focused practicing of one skill set means degradation of the other skill set. Probably doesn't help that the tarmac physics can be pretty unintuitive at times.

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012
My dirty secret is that I've skipped Monte Carlo everytime after the open championship and I've done master championship twice now. I just win every other event.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love Monte Carlo

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Jehde posted:

Pretty easy to explain really, driving on tarmac is very different from driving on loose surfaces, more focused practicing of one skill set means degradation of the other skill set. Probably doesn't help that the tarmac physics can be pretty unintuitive at times.

Yeah, but I've been spending most of my time doing the gravel events, as there are more of them and they come up more often. I'm just getting worse and worse at them the more I do them. It doesn't matter what technique I try to use, either: steering in early and gradually (which feels like it should be the right way) nets me worse times in Wales, Greece or Finland than just braking really late, treating the throttle like an on-off switch and violently dive-bombing every corner, like I always do on tarmac.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wanderer89 posted:

Just need to reiterate how much I loving hate Finland in this game.

I remain wholly unconvinced the top times are reproducible on demand within a few tries by the drivers, so much of it is luck of the draw for if your car is going to fly off the track when landing from a jump/bump. Can drive slowly and not get bounced around so much, but in a league with stage restarts, there's gonna be that guy who's planted his foot to the floor, prayed to the suspension physics gods, and somehow flown his way across the finish line.

Great stage for a Sunday jaunt just for funsies though.

My Summer Car 2: My Winter Car - Perkele edition

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I get this is more of a racing sim and not supposed to be easy but would it have killed them to add that in-race rewind button/feature?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
endurance is a big part of this game even though the damage model is so reduced that you have to literally drive your car off a cliff to kill it. there is no track overlay, just a meter giving you an idea of how far you are along while your bro reads off the next few turns as they come up

the reset option works well enough imo, most of the tracks early on are broken up in manageable chunks and the difficulty settings automatically adjust to your personal skill level

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get this is more of a racing sim and not supposed to be easy but would it have killed them to add that in-race rewind button/feature?

It actually probably would, when it went onto early access initially a big part of why most sim racing types gave it a chance was because of the lack of rewinds. It might not have gotten the sales it needed to get the full studio backing if that whole group didn't jump on it.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qWTd2J8kk

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
i guess its hardly surprising that they would go back to the regular dirt formula for the next title. I am kinda hoping the will implement some of the things from DR though. I wouldn't particularly mind if there was optional rewinds and driving lines, if the stages are still well designed and the physics doesn't get too stupid. Its probably going to be like Dirt 3 though with 50 meter wide roads and antimatter brakes.

[Edit] Blog post with more details. There will be a "build a rally" tool. http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/01/announcing-dirt-4/

Humbug fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 26, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Most people knew the next game would be Dirt 4, I think they said as much as early access was coming to an end. What's interesting to me though is whether this is incorporating all they learned with Dirt Rally into the mainline series or if Dirt and Dirt Rally are going to be 2 different things that alternate releases Forza Motorsport/Horizon style. Given they're saying 5 locations (Austrailia, Sweden, Spain, Wales and USA) just for rally makes me think the former. Having a procedural stage generator is interesting too, that's something rally fans have been wanting in a game for a really long time.

Also out in June, which seems very soon.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dirt 3 was a lot of fun except for the gymkhana stuff. The stages were a bit wide but Imo the rally stages were excellent

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Considering they called it Dirt 4, it seems they consider DR to be something separate, which gives me a bit of hope there will be another installment in the "rally" series. This seems to be a far more fleshed out title than DR, so a similar number of locations aren't that indicative to me. DR is incredibly bare bones in a lot of respects, although i think they spent their resources pretty well focusing on cars and stages rather than menus and animations.
A bit more info here. There will be a driving school and more US locations. http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/26/dirt-4-coming-to-ps4-this-june-4-things-you-need-to-know/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Codemasters has already confirmed that the DR physics are available as an option.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd like DR with a few more Rally's

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Am I imagining things or were the other drivers actually simulated in Dirt 3? I'd like to see that again, it was pretty cool to catch up to the car in front, or actually drive past them stuck in a ditch instead of just learning about it in the times at the end of the stage.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Am I imagining things or were the other drivers actually simulated in Dirt 3? I'd like to see that again, it was pretty cool to catch up to the car in front, or actually drive past them stuck in a ditch instead of just learning about it in the times at the end of the stage.

They definitely were, though the intervals were short in a way they'd never be in a real rally. Catching another car on stage only ever really happens if they've crashed. It does seem reading more that they're leaning into the difficulty aspect people latched onto with DR with the Be Fearless tagline. Also there's going to be an actually rally school mode like CMR1 and Nicky Grist is going to be doing co-driver calls again.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Looks like there was an event in London where some games journalists got to try out DIRT 4. A couple videos were posted over on reddit. The people posting it admitted they didn't know much about the DIRT series, but it's still pretty good info.
15 minutes of gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWXaJYQkiM
Early Impressions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1R5erH4Rew

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Codemasters has already confirmed that the DR physics are available as an option.

Oh nice - hadn't heard that about D4 before, so that's great news!

EDIT: Oh, except if there's tarmac I suppose (although I did get used to DR tarmac...eh, I'd still rather realistic tarmac)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 27, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

MeatloafCat posted:

Looks like there was an event in London where some games journalists got to try out DIRT 4. A couple videos were posted over on reddit. The people posting it admitted they didn't know much about the DIRT series, but it's still pretty good info.

They admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the game other than it's a racing game. At one point they call dune buggies "proper rally cars" and the actual cars "just some modified thing". :negative:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I'm glad they admitted they didn't know much about it. It's a nice change from that PC Gamer review a while back.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah it's cool they're straight up about it, just can't learn much from their impressions when their closest reference is Mario Kart. The footage is nice though, I like that it looks like you have to stop by the marshall within 15 seconds after finishing a stage. Guess that means no more spectactular finishes though. :v:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I'm eagerly awaiting the first video of someone flipping at the finish line then sliding up to the marshal on their roof.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

First Dirt 4 blog, still calling it the road book which pleases me. More rallycross stuff, there'll be 2 more tracks as well as the RX2 class from FIA WRX and some Group B rallycross which apparently was a thing? Landrush aka the best thing in Dirt 2+3 is back which is truck and buggy racing on big jump tracks, and gymkhana Joyride, which will be skills challenges in the rally school which they're describing as 'donuts without the dudebro'.

PvP rally events will be doable online, so you'll be able to do real world style staggered starts down the stage, and will overtake slow cars and see cars that have wrecked. There will be 2 handling models, casual and simulation, one being more controller friendly Dirt 3 style and the other being straight up lifted from Dirt Rally with some refinements to aerodynamics, suspension, tires and damage so it seems they're leaning more in the sim direction rather than retreating from it. Like I said earlier the reputation DR got for being hard did them a lot of good.

Career mode will be a full Race Driver Grid style team management, hiring PR, engineers, sponsors etc which as a RD Grid fan is drat great news. There'll be an online career mode of sorts with rankings and ladders. Daily/Weekly/Monthly challenges will come back, but this time they'll all be using procedural stages, so people won't get to practice a stage for ages before doing the challenge. Leagues will be returning and you'll be able to generate stages for league use, plus there won't be any splitting of leaderboards and leagues between consoles this time, so we can have the Xbox and PS4 players in this thread in the same league as the PC crew. You can also do stage generation on the website so you can make sure stages are the kind of thing you want for a league before confirming anything.

Overall it seems like they're not quite making a sequel to Dirt 3, but a sequel to Dirt Rally with Landrush added in. Rally and Rallycross certainly seem to be overwhelmingly the focus, and I'm happy they're willing to drop Hillclimb rather than just have Pikes Peak as the only track again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll just ignore the monster energy style races and be happy.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

Overall it seems like they're not quite making a sequel to Dirt 3, but a sequel to Dirt Rally with Landrush added in. Rally and Rallycross certainly seem to be overwhelmingly the focus, and I'm happy they're willing to drop Hillclimb rather than just have Pikes Peak as the only track again.

Eh it seems more like they're taking what they learned from Dirt Rally and rolling it into Dirt. Still seems more like a Dirt game than a Dirt Rally game, but it sounds like it should be a good installment and possibly the best since the first.

The one thing I wish they'd bring back is Dakar trucks, but they're not 3fast5furious enough for anyone to care about. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sounds like we're in for a good rally game.

• Locked thread