Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mayor Dave posted:

How the gently caress is Faulconer outpolling Garcetti

Faulconer is the top Republican pick, Garcetti is second to Newsom among Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I didn't even know Faulconer was planning on running.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think those are potentials, not all declared.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

The Atlanta Falcons

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

The left needs to organize around a progressive challenger to her seat. With how fractured the CA GOP is, a challenge to Feinstein's left could certainly finish second in the open primary.

themrguy posted:

I normally think primarying incumbent Dems is a horrible idea, but I'd actually be all for it Feinstein''s case.

Feinstein is one of the most highly ranked members of the DNC and will bring the full wrath of the party down on any democrat who tries to run against her. The only real shot is if a grassroots independent challenges her Bernie style, but that has it's own roadblocks. Remember that despite our much touted liberalism, California voted for Hillary over Bernie fairly decisively. California is also more or less the Democratic stronghold in the nation and they'll fight tooth and nail to avoid getting one of their most senior party members kicked out of office in their own back yard, even if it is for a more liberal candidate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Word on Twitter is that DiFi is thinking of voting Sessions because she's not getting enough phone calls telling her not to. I had already tried this morning to get through on her SF, Fresno, and DC lines, and none of them was answering; two were just getting busy signals. If you want to stiffen her spine, you might try now; the lines aren't so overwhelmed, so at least you can leave voicemail; I just did.

(202) 224-3841 (DC)
State offices here.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I called and left a message too after seeing that. Also, gently caress her so much, how could she even think of voting yes on Sessions? What is wrong with this woman?

I really, really want to see a successful primary push against her. She's so awful.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Word on Twitter is that DiFi is thinking of voting Sessions because she's not getting enough phone calls telling her not to.

This might be one of the worst excuses I have ever seen.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Word on Twitter is that DiFi is thinking of voting Sessions because she's not getting enough phone calls telling her not to.

I'm thinking it's more likely because she's awful.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

So how about that state of the state address guys?

moonbeam4ever

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 26, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's a shame we can't make Moonbeam God Emperor of California.

Sure can't wait for Governor Newsom :barf:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
All rise for the new national anthem

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You'd think with having another crack at governorship and the 6th largest economy in the world he'd begin his NWO and police state....

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Marine le Pen and LA24 are still in play; the dream is still alive.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I see this tweet:

https://twitter.com/daisykpgardner/status/824445292724359169

which doesn't seem very substantiated. Though I wouldn't put it past her.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Word on Twitter is

Well that's your problem right there

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Dunno if this is the correct thread for it, but it's the closest I could find on the first couple pages of DnD.

My wife is hispanic and looking for some books on early American-hispanic relations, injustices, politics, labor rights etc.

The majority of what she's found with some quick searching is kids books, fictional novels, or personal memoirs. She's looking more for a historical analysis/discussion type book.

If you know of a better thread to ask in that be cool too.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

Dunno if this is the correct thread for it, but it's the closest I could find on the first couple pages of DnD.

My wife is hispanic and looking for some books on early American-hispanic relations, injustices, politics, labor rights etc.

The majority of what she's found with some quick searching is kids books, fictional novels, or personal memoirs. She's looking more for a historical analysis/discussion type book.

I think this thread is a fine place to ask this, but you might also want to try a thread in the new race subforum of D&D. Specifically the new racial history thread might be interested in it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

TheDon01 posted:

This one might be of use: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3416322

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dont be mean to me posted:

Marine le Pen and LA24 are still in play; the dream is still alive.

If the olympic committee (by transitive properties, the rest of the world) wanted to send a gently caress you to trump they'd bestow the games on the largest concentrated group of antagonist to his agenda.

Can you picture the games where trump has to sit through a hour long commencement low-key insulting him? He'd lose his goddamn mind.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VikingofRock posted:

I think this thread is a fine place to ask this, but you might also want to try a thread in the new race subforum of D&D. Specifically the new racial history thread might be interested in it.

We also have a whole subforum about books! It is called the Book Barn and it is a good place to ask goons about books.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=182

And! We have a subforum about science, academics, and languages which includes threads about books. There are history goons hanging out there:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=162

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CPColin posted:

I see this tweet:

https://twitter.com/daisykpgardner/status/824445292724359169

which doesn't seem very substantiated. Though I wouldn't put it past her.

im gonna have a stroke

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

On the forum segment on Milo coming to Berkeley, the college republican member on air claimed that antifa had punched them in the face on campus.

Does anyone know more about that?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Well that's your problem right there
Actually, in general I'm getting excellent information from Twitter, in time to allow me to call my Reps/Senators and have a chance of making a difference. Much of the stuff I see is linked to reputable news sources, and the stuff I see that isn't either dies away or winds up in the news sources.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Ron Jeremy posted:

On the forum segment on Milo coming to Berkeley, the college republican member on air claimed that antifa had punched them in the face on campus.

Does anyone know more about that?

I have not heard anything about that which leads me to not believe it, but I have not really been tied into the drama that has been happening on campus.

Edit: I feel like the campus would have sent out a "Please do not punch the Nazi's email" if it happened but the only thing we got was "We hate the BCR too but please don't riot" email instead.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 27, 2017

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the reasons why propaganda of the deed is effective is because it leaves a lasting visceral impression. If a bunch of people didn't see the dude get punched, he probably didn't get punched.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think they might be trying to confuse the issue by conflating the shooting and Richard Spencer getting punched or something.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Same college republican said the victim of the UW Milo shooting was a Milo supporter. I was hoping the punching story was true because maybe someone about have more video like the Richard spencer one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there's proof that the shooter was the Milo supporter; he sent Milo Facebook messages and whatnot that were supportive. Those college Republicans are lying, badly.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
DiFi's DC number was busy all day today. Going to try her state offices tomorrow.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Mayor Lee Brand says Fresno will not be a sanctuary city for undocumented immigrants"

Ugh. Screw you, Lee Brand. You coward. (Or typical Republican, I suppose.)

Edit: Meanwhile, Yes California is a shitshow and probably won't manage to get Calexit on the ballot even, it seems. So that's funny.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 27, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

LMAO there goes half of Fresno's taxpayers right there. People fail to realize, that Fettucini Alfredo, that plate of California Rolls, Pad Thai, Curry chicken, Pollo con crema, etc they were all likely made by some undocumented worker just needing a paycheck working in some kitchen. Most of these folks are already paying taxes already.

Gut the supply of undocumented workers, and its not like all the underemployed white people are going to be stampeding into getting these type of jobs. I gotta wonder how much Californians are willing to pay for their precious almonds, raisins, and wine. Because the only reason that Two Buck Chuck is two bucks a bottle is because Enrique out there is busting his rear end making sub-minimum wage.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ahem its two point five buck chuck thank you very much

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Ahem its two point five buck chuck thank you very much

"Upchuck"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, in better news, this might pass. If it does, then when I'm not dependent on my (not particularly trans-friendly) family I think I'm going to get my info updated.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why do ID cards need gender identity at all? Especially picture ID.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sincx posted:

What would it take for California, New York, etc. to try for succession?

Complete ban on abortion?
Mandatory creationism indoctrination in public schools?
Federal troops shooting protestors in NYC and SF, Tiananmen-style?
Draft for the upcoming war in Iran?

Complete ban on abortion would mean not just turning over roe vs. wade (before which, abortion legality was entirely the domain of state law) but probably a constitutional amendment banning abortion. That's not going to happen.
Mandatory creationism doctrine would similarly run afoul of state's rights. States have very broad discretion over what is taught in schools. Federal standards are often tied to federal funding, but a state like CA could probably fully fund its schools if it had to.
Federal troops? As in, not the national guard, which is under the governor's command? That would also be unprecedented in modern history. But I suppose?
Draft? LOL but yeah I don't think it'd just be CA, NY, etc. with the unrest if the draft was reinstated. (Note that the draft is not actually gone, every male aged 18 and over is still required by law to register for the selective service, but a huge swathe of the population doesn't bother and there seems to be zero enforcement.)

Nobody is going to secede in the next 50 years.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

sincx posted:

What would it take for California, New York, etc. to try for succession?

My guess is a Constitutional change/convention that goes horribly awry.

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody is going to secede in the next 50 years.

Agreed. Unless the GOP does get ahold of enough state legislatures and is crazy enough to call a convention, and then all bets are off. Frankly even I don't think they're that crazy, the current system is working too well for them to want to change it even if they did take over enough states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

My guess is a Constitutional change/convention that goes horribly awry.

Agreed. Unless the GOP does get ahold of enough state legislatures and is crazy enough to call a convention, and then all bets are off. Frankly even I don't think they're that crazy, the current system is working too well for them to want to change it even if they did take over enough states.

They don't need a convention to ratify amendments and they're only 6 legislatures away from that right now.