Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

It's okay but sort of disappointing. Several sections(the chugging main riff especially) sound identical to Black Tongue from The Hunter album.

Weaponized Cum posted:

So it's not a boring piece of poo poo like everything after crack the sky? Cool

I mean, I like the albums after CtS but you do kind of get the vibe that they shot their creative wad after that album. Remission-CtS is an incredible stretch in quality albums but I always sort of expected there was going to be a drop off somewhere.

Imo...

1. Leviathan
2. Blood Mountain
3. Crack the Skye
4. The Hunter
5. Remission
6. Once More 'Round the Sun

They're pretty much unrivaled when it comes to album covers though. I mean :allears:

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Metal videos are loving retarded but hey, more Wiegedood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KcbjnpGpmE

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Kreator is out and it's pretty dope.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Sounds like Baroness.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wish there was video of those guys playing Warhammer.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cobra Commander posted:

Nocturnus "The Key"

This is loving rad.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
This is...

Edit: Bolt Thrower

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 27, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my sole wish upon dying is for a cenotaph that plays the cenotaph riff

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
While I'm stopping by this thread - in regards to the symphonic death metal req, it's actually quite hard to fill anyway since the subgenre (if it's even defined) is quite nebulous: apparently jamming a keyboard into your death metal makes you 'symphonic' to plenty. If Nocturnus is passing as symphonic these days then you might as well put on Luciferion too and then just lob on Morbid Angel.

Therion is pretty often cited, although personally I'd not touch most of it. Symphony Masses:Ho Drakon Ho Megas and Lepaca Kliffoth are the two that spring to mind.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just released a new album (so far only digital, but cd and cassette will soon be out on Cimmerian Shade Recordings, with vinyl to follow later). Doom or something like that.
https://ecwdoom.bandcamp.com/

Also:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I'm really, really excited for this album to drop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al7rzFSjdgs

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Wow, look at this pile of lovely bands all at once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MrBling posted:

I'm honestly considering Day One starting with Dillinger.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
KISS!!! woo-hoo! yeah!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
People that like Kiss: is this some kind of nostalgia thing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

People that like Kiss: is this some kind of nostalgia thing?

It's a they made good hard rock music thing. Don't know about KISS in 2017 though.

I'm also hoping some of the good small print bands do an aftershow in the city. Carcass and Deafheaven did it last year and that was rad. Would love if Dillinger came up here or Pig Destroyer.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I don't think Kiss made good music :)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

I don't think Kiss made good music :)

Well, you asked.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
No matter how bad you think Kiss are, they'll never be as bad as a blackish Christian bedroom noise rock band ripping off Kiss.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Metal Church owns and still kicks rear end live.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Ei thread this is your yearly reminder that when gamma ray nails it they realy loving nail it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKnWdvxEqk

how many times as Kai used that loving "i want out" riff and it always comes out golden.

Also, everyone should listen to more paradox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhi4zUHFTw

that is all.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Gourmet Man Food

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like that thumbnail was designed by Da Sharez0ne, which would make for a great video.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Oldstench posted:

Metal Church owns and still kicks rear end live.

Quoted for truth

I've seen Kiss live when they came around with Motley Crue a few years back. I had to go check them out just to say I did. The show was meh and everyone around me was so goddamn drunk, I figure that's the only way those people could truly enjoy it

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Kiss songs are cool when other bands cover them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
this is loving awesome and sounds exactly like the cover looks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BgNWwloBpg

e: and here's another cool recent thing with Commander Vanik guesting on it, coincidentally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2UbfcIWWXQ

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 28, 2017

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Hulk Krogan posted:

word, it's the best material they've put out in years

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Slough Feg is currently my favorite thing in the world. They are so loving cool.

Is there anything else out there similar to them?

I found Skyclad because of their Wikipedia page lol(and they own), but what else is there?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Are you familiar with the stuff they're influenced by? Brocas Helm, Cirith Ungol, and Manilla Road. Also, Legend's "From the Fjords" since they covered a song from it and it's one of my favorite records. Aside from that, I guess some contemporaries would be Hammers of Misfortune, Eternal Champion, and Sumerlands. To continue that last one, probably any band Phil Swanson has been in (Atlantean Kodex, Briton Rites, Hour of 13, etc.) I suppose Twister Tower Dire and Isen Torr would also have a similar appeal, too.

Sorry to name off so many bands, not sure to what extent you're familiar, but probably not too much if you found Skyclad as similar.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Zodijackylite posted:

Are you familiar with the stuff they're influenced by? Brocas Helm, Cirith Ungol, and Manilla Road. Also, Legend's "From the Fjords" since they covered a song from it and it's one of my favorite records. Aside from that, I guess some contemporaries would be Hammers of Misfortune, Eternal Champion, and Sumerlands. To continue that last one, probably any band Phil Swanson has been in (Atlantean Kodex, Briton Rites, Hour of 13, etc.) I suppose Twister Tower Dire and Isen Torr would also have a similar appeal, too.

Sorry to name off so many bands, not sure to what extent you're familiar, but probably not if you found Skyclad as similar.

I like Eternal Champion, a buddy of mine turned me onto them. But yeah, never really heard of any of these other bands. I will check them all out, thank you!

Also I know about Hammers of Misfortune, but that's a pretty obvious one since Mike Scalzi is in it at points.

edit: Ok I youtubed Cirith Ungol because I recognized it as a Tolkien thing. gently caress yes. This is cool as gently caress

Dirt fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 28, 2017

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon

Hulk Krogan posted:

somehow i doubt this.

Zodijackylite posted:

Nocturnus is great and the latter is basically the definition of that style, right? I mean, why would you take perfectly good death metal and add keyboards? Same reason you don't mix scotch with coke.
nocturnus wouldn't be half the band they are if they weren't goofy as gently caress

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

^Nocturnus rules, I'm just saying those other mediocre death metal bands with keyboards are mediocre.

Dirt posted:

I like Eternal Champion, a buddy of mine turned me onto them. But yeah, never really heard of any of these other bands. I will check them all out, thank you!

Also I know about Hammers of Misfortune, but that's a pretty obvious one since Mike Scalzi is in it at points.

edit: Ok I youtubed Cirith Ungol because I recognized it as a Tolkien thing. gently caress yes. This is cool as gently caress

Oh man, you're in for some wonderful times. Hearing Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road for the first time is a religious experience.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Just heard some of the new Mastodon album. Ugh. That poo poo is embarrassing

Remember when they were a metal band?

More Mother Puncher, less of this poo poo please.

Mastodon is basically Opeth at this point. One of my favorite bands ever who never stop making me sad. Instead of being metal, they are doing much shittier versions of lesser music.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 28, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It just sounds like Mastodon to me

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dirt posted:

Mastodon is basically Opeth at this point. One of my favorite bands ever who never stop making me sad. Instead of being metal, they are doing much shittier versions of lesser music.

another thing they have in common is that even when they were metal they weren't very good

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

Remember when they were a metal band?

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Dirt posted:

More Mother Puncher, less of this poo poo please.

Word up