Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!
EoD sounds like my thing; since the PDF's not expensive I might just have to grab it sight unseen.

I would never ever have found it if you hadn't linked it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this a good place to ask which are the good animes? I'm a WoD nerd, so I tried to get back into anime through Tokyo Ghoul, but it seems like it totally abandons its premise about halfway through in favour of "Whose tentacles are the strongest?" I'm also slowly reading the manga, but haven't caught up to where I am in the show, so I don't know if it goes off the rails similarly.

Parasyte is great so far, except for the lovely metal.

I heard that Kill la Kill and that Yo La Tengo Toppin' Gurrin' Laggin' thing that I can never spell have actual artistic value.

Watch Hellsing Ultimate, Drifters, LOGH and Haruhi. Read One Piece, Toriko and Baki the Grappler.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that Kill la Kill and that Yo La Tengo Toppin' Gurrin' Laggin' thing that I can never spell have actual artistic value.

Well, they're more fist-pump anime but I don't know if I'd clarify them as being *sniffs* artistic works. They have a lot of appeal (as long you can bear through the creepy nonsense in KlK, anyway... anime).

Really depends on what you're looking for. Baccano! is usually my blanket recommendation these to just about anybody who enjoys genre fiction these days.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
30% off items in Modiphius's catalogue.

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mutant Year Zero (Very good)
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphiushttp://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphius

Anyone know about Mindjammer?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Elfgames posted:

so someone in the contest got "shounen" as their genre, a category ranging from dragonball to death note

I'm kind of doubling down on the troupe of young, hot-blooded dream driven heroes face a great threat together through friendship, effort, and victory. I'm doubling down on the "narrow focus is the best for game design" and kind of keeping things to shows with similar setups like Naruto, One Piece, Hero Academia, and Bleach. Yeah, I know Bleach wasn't that great, but it is a good source for the kind of things I've decided to focus on. Trying to focus on a few things:
  • Ensure heroes and villains are within the themes of Shueshia battle comics
  • Give a feeling of power and progression
  • Keep it simple because this is a contest and I only got a month
  • Enforce the narrative rules of the genre
  • Enforce the arc structure of these kinds of stories

My main worry is that the core mechanic's formula might be a pain and that my choice of dice pools might gently caress me from a math standpoint. Like, while the "Generals get the same Power Level as the number of Arcs completed and Big Bads get that number +1 as their Power Level" should equal out with "Power Level goes up for every character per arc completed" but it gets weird in extreme.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Plutonis posted:

There were local demons and dieties that were converted by Sanzhang yes. And IRL there is a massive amount syncretism on several Buddhist communities in which for example the Herakles of Bactria was turned into a diety that protects the Buddha and his iconography inspired the fierce Nioh statues of Japan.

Yeah Greco-Buddhist culture was a pretty big thing in Central Asia for a long time, and it's a shame that Fantasy doesn't borrow from it more

Halloween Jack posted:

drat it, I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna hack Mass Effect into Strike! As soon as I finish 3 F&Fs, and probably rugby season.

Reminds me that I eventually need to try and get somewhere with my idea for a Sci-fi OSR game that uses a class system based on Mass Effect's(the one in 3's MP to be more specific)

It will have to wait till after the contest though since I have to get started on my entry soon

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Halloween Jack posted:

Is this a good place to ask which are the good animes?

Well I mean, this is like asking "what are some good French books." "Anime" doesn't mean anything but a national origin + a medium.

Since you mention being a World of Darkness fan, maybe you'd like stories about people solving supernatural problems that are invisible or incomprehensible to normal human beings. Try Mononoke -- that's just "Mononoke", not Princess Mononoke, although that's a good movie too.

Or just in terms of horror generally, you might like Kemonozume, which is (effectively) about the heir of a prestigious Hunter family falling in love with a monster. Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."

TTGL has good animation but I couldn't stand the thematic point it ultimately decided to make, and KLK is a master-class in making personality and humor shine through a limited budget but it's also got some really gross and superfluous scenes of sexual abuse -- it crosses a line even for a show premised on "what if taking your clothes off gave you superpowers."

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphiushttp://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4329/Modiphius

I know about Windjammers, is that close

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Helical Nightmares posted:

Includes:
- Achtung! Cthulhu
- Mindjammer
- Mutant Chronicles
- Fiction

Well dammit, if Infinity was out I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I've been looking at DUST a bit and I know nothing about the source material, but aside from the cheesecake it looks really cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That guy who was asking about anime should watch The Tatami Galaxy

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mindjammer is a transhumanist game without body swapping and with more space opera elements.

Edit: personally I recommend the Fate version, but I haven't read the other versions.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Parkreiner posted:

Ah, I misremembered; it was IPR that still carries Empire of Dust.

I also reproduce some :words: I wrote about the game ages ago:

Bought it based on this write up.

Countblanc posted:

I know about Windjammers, is that close

Don't think so. Looks like a Traveler hack in a transhuman universe.

quote:

The Ennie Award-winning transhuman science-fiction RPG setting returns, in a brand new edition for use with the TRAVELLER roleplaying game!

This brand new 384-page hardback book includes:

• full rules for starships, organisations, and culture operations;

• detailed character cultures, genotypes, and new careers—play a sentient starship!

• new and innovative systems for describing planets, star systems, and alien life;

• deep setting material on the New Commonality of Humankind;

• rules for the Mindscape and virtual worlds;

• starmaps and planet descriptions, histories and background.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

EoD sounds like my thing; since the PDF's not expensive I might just have to grab it sight unseen.

I would never ever have found it if you hadn't linked it, though.

Yeah, just googling got me nothing. I had forgotten IPR even existed! Anyways, hope you love EoD like I do. Never run it longer than a handful of sessions (and have yet to play it), but it's been a blast every time.

As far as the other thing, I actually just read Tokyo Ghoul 9&10 a couple days ago (which is just past where the first anime left off; I haven't watched Root A), and while a certain QUIEN ES MAS MACHO aspect has manifested, at least so far it's more along the lines of "drat, that guy really kicked my rear end" than a descent into DBZ eternal punching, the focus is still on "what the gently caress do justice and kindness even mean in a world this hosed up".

I have a couple recommendations from a WoD perspective (by which I mean slice-of-lifey series about monsters with occasional outbreaks of violence and goofiness and lots of lore), though they are more manga recommendations, as I've read and enjoy the manga but haven't watched their anime adaptations.

Noragami is about a minor war god trying to drum up worship by answering any prayer he hears (mostly by beating up monsters, but he does odd jobs too), and his various occult hangers-on. Involves an absolute shitload of Shinto deities, lore and minutiae, in some ways this is a low-powered Nobilis game (hmm, I guess we just call this Chuubo's now).

InuBoku SS is about the residents of a hotel that's halfway between a refuge and house arrest for monsters passing as human. This is slice-of-lifeier and a bit more emo than Noragami, and now that I think about it this is more of a manga rec, because while I haven't watched it, I know that the anime stops right after all the getting-to-know-you characterization stuff, before some Bad poo poo goes down.

Death Parade is also real good-- actually go watch this first. It's a series of vignettes about dead souls pleading their case to their afterlife sorting caseworkers, with said ghostly functionaries serving as the continuing characters. Really good character work, good-looking visuals.

The Eccentric Family is about a dysfunctional family of shapeshifting animals. This is another legit good one that doesn't have magical combat or anything, just weird monsters living their tragicomic lives. Sequel's coming soon too.

Finally, the *monogatari series (starts with Bakemonogatari, though Kizumonogatari is a prequel) is WoD as gently caress, in the true murder-doom-head oWoD as she is played/LARPED, with monster and monster-adjacent characters who think they're too drat cool for school and the sexiest things to ever sex. It is pretty much everything good and horrible about anime, often in the same scene, and if your college WoD games didn't at least occasionally look like this then you must be Justin Achilli himself.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."
Evangelion is better described as "what if a guy tried to write a kaiju-of-the-week show using his high school psychology course as the basis for all the characters, and the plot twist is that he got a D in the class?"

The soundtrack is pretty amazing but that's the best thing I can say about it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Evangelion is better described as "what if a guy tried to write a kaiju-of-the-week show using his high school psychology course as the basis for all the characters, and the plot twist is that he got a D in the class?"

This is the worst opinion I've ever read in this website.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Even as someone who likes very little in the way of anime I gotta disagree with this one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

I guess you don't read your own posts then.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Wow, I think it's been years since I watched any anime.
Bodacious Space Pirates was pretty fun, though it was very...bourgeois? It's a space opera about a high school yacht club who end up play-acting as space pirates to entertain bored cruise-goers and commit insurance fraud.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Serf posted:

Even as someone who likes very little in the way of anime I gotta disagree with this one.
I like a good many anime series but NGE is basically the D&D of anime. It's a pile of garbage that's been sitting in a particularly stagnant and sun-baked area but everyone gets recommended it because it was popular.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I like a good many anime series but NGE is basically the D&D of anime. It's a pile of garbage that's been sitting in a particularly stagnant and sun-baked area but everyone gets recommended it because it was popular.

I dunno. It was pretty great. The new movies are even better.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I dunno, I think that one guy in Games who hates Fallout New Vegas because he went north from Goodsprings despite numerous NPCs telling him not to do it is worse.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well I mean, this is like asking "what are some good French books." "Anime" doesn't mean anything but a national origin + a medium.

Since you mention being a World of Darkness fan, maybe you'd like stories about people solving supernatural problems that are invisible or incomprehensible to normal human beings. Try Mononoke -- that's just "Mononoke", not Princess Mononoke, although that's a good movie too.

Or just in terms of horror generally, you might like Kemonozume, which is (effectively) about the heir of a prestigious Hunter family falling in love with a monster. Or Evangelion, which could be distantly compared to "what if humanity noticed the God-Machine and starting loving with Infrastructure."

TTGL has good animation but I couldn't stand the thematic point it ultimately decided to make, and KLK is a master-class in making personality and humor shine through a limited budget but it's also got some really gross and superfluous scenes of sexual abuse -- it crosses a line even for a show premised on "what if taking your clothes off gave you superpowers."
I probably should've given more background and been more specific, but I didn't want to sound like a snob delivering an exegesis on why I, a guy who spent last Saturday night reading Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand while watching Zardoz, do not find that Japanimation lives up to my exquisite tastes. :agesilaus:

Like a zillion other people, I was pretty into anime in college but drifted out of it. I've seen Evangelion and most of Miyazaki's films; my favourite manga were Parayste and Kare Kano. I'm sure lots of people just drift out of the fandom, but I got really fed up with the repetitive cliches and fanservice. (I think you know what I mean: an impossibly bland, nebbishy guy with panic disorder trips face-first into Tsundere's massive boobs and shoots a gallon of blood out of his nose, she screams and beats him up, later he eats a mountain of food. I admit it, at one time I owned the whole run of Love Hina, but I lost it soon after I lost my virginity and never want to see either of them again.)

As far as genre, I just like any good genre fiction with a nuanced plot and character development, that doesn't rely on just bundling popular cliches together. I really enjoyed Planetes, and I was impressed with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, even if the political storytelling isn't particularly well-conveyed. (It relies too much on scenes where the cyber-police literally just drive around the city talking politics.)

I heard that Kill La Kill was some Kojima level weird meta-commentary on exploitation and commodification, but if it actually just wallows in fanservice, I'll definitely take a pass on that. Another reason I backed out of anime fandom was a friend who appreciated the "ironic commentary" in Puni Puni Poemi to a suspicious degree.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that Kill La Kill was some Kojima level weird meta-commentary on exploitation and commodification, but if it actually just wallows in fanservice, I'll definitely take a pass on that.

Well, I mean... sort of. The thing with all of Hiroyuki Imaishi's work is that he's not feminist in the familiar sense of the word at all, but he very consistently tells stories about liberation, broadly -- and that includes KLK. It's not an either-or thing between having something to say and wallowing in fanservice, it does both, because he doesn't see it as a conflict.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Ah, you want anime that's actually legit good storytelling as opposed to just grading on The Anime Curve. Then yeah, start with Death Parade, at least check out the first ep of Eccentric Family... and I'll get back to you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

I dunno. It was pretty great. The new movies are even better.
Agreed.

The movies are a really good remix.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Like you know how Robert Heinlein has really unpleasant sexual politics in his short stories but at the same time he's recognizably rebelling against the prudery and repression of the era he lived in? Imaishi is very much like that.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
You guys should try Sword Art Online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SunAndSpring posted:

I dunno, I think that one guy in Games who hates Fallout New Vegas because he went north from Goodsprings despite numerous NPCs telling him not to do it is worse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Parkreiner posted:

Ah, you want anime that's actually legit good storytelling as opposed to just grading on The Anime Curve. Then yeah, start with Death Parade, at least check out the first ep of Eccentric Family... and I'll get back to you.

Countblanc posted:

That guy who was asking about anime should watch The Tatami Galaxy

Serf
May 5, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Ah yes, Misterbibs, a man who famously could not pass Proving Grounds Silver in WoW and thinks Fury Road is a bad movie. Truly a posting luminary.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I heard that Kill La Kill was some Kojima level weird meta-commentary on exploitation and commodification, but if it actually just wallows in fanservice, I'll definitely take a pass on that. Another reason I backed out of anime fandom was a friend who appreciated the "ironic commentary" in Puni Puni Poemi to a suspicious degree.

You're going to get divided opinions on Kill la Kill on the level and in about the same terms as Sucker Punch.

Despite my avatar I'm not actually that huge into anime.... I guess if you want something fun and well-animated you might enjoy One Punch Man or Mob Psycho 100. There's always the standby of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, too. Each of the parts of JoJo that have been animated are standalone but have links to the prior stories. Part 2 and Part 4 are my favorites. It's pretty easy to jump into Part 4 with no prior knowledge of the setting other than a few secondary characters in the story. Part 4 is also where the concept of "stands" morphs into the intense puzzles over the normal things like rock, paper, scissors, cashing a check, and eating good Italian food. And it somehow works out very well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Murder. Kill. Destroy.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

You guys should try Sword Art Online.

I think you mean Log Horizon. :ssh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
seriously though, TTG has some of the most unique, gorgeous animation the medium has offered in the last decade and tells a simple story of the ennui of college life in an incredibly unique way. check it out.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 27, 2017

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I liked this one!

Sword Art was bad though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

OVERLORD

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Watch Overlord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dxICJHd518

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

Parkreiner posted:

Yeah, that's why I'm asking here and not in ADTRW. The longer I spent around avid anime fans, the more I noticed people crediting some slightly novel take on a very specific premise as breathtakingly original.

I think I have to watch JoJo because I may gradually lose sense of what everyone's talking about if I don't watch JoJo.

Apropos of nothing, I enjoyed RaXephon and Dual! more than Evangelion, all things considered, and I think El Hazard is the only harem anime I really like, if that even counts. Man, my anime fandom is from an era where a lot of it was just based on what you could actually get your hands on, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

El Hazard is the best thing AIC did, I think, it holds up really well. Has done? I forget that they're actually still around.

On a more serious note, I would in general recommend anything that Satoshi Kon directed, since nobody else has.

• Locked thread