Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This sounds like a problem for a Raspberry Pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cawd Rud posted:

Is there an app that can just loop a video on repeat without showing any UI in between? VLC for Apple TV can loop a video, but every time a new video starts, it shows the name of the video and the seeker for a few seconds at the bottom of a screen.

Any other suggestions for digital signage would be appreciated!

yeah I do this with Raspberry Pi's. Way easier / more control than anything a AppleTV could ever do. Hell some TV's can play USB sticks automatically and that will do it too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does the "recommendations" section under the "home" tab in the YouTube app just disappear for people every now and then? I use the YT app daily and today it looks like it's gone. I force quit the app and still gone.

Checked the website and it's there.

This happened before a while back and it re-appeared after a .. day? few days?

Not sure if it's YT just messing with the backend or what.

To be clear, right now it's showing me "recommendations" but it's sorting them by channel so I'm getting a ton of channels I'm already subscribed to (which I could see under "Subscriptions" if I really wanted to), but I'm looking for the general recommended feed which just shows random poo poo YT thinks I'd like to see.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
I have the same issue which makes me think it is intentional. The YT app is quite frustrating. I wish there was a way to force a refresh without having to kill the app.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

milkaxor posted:

I have the same issue which makes me think it is intentional. The YT app is quite frustrating. I wish there was a way to force a refresh without having to kill the app.

I can force a content refresh if I do the following magic:

On the "home" screen, I tend to place my cursor focus on the second video from the left, switch to my "subscriptions", then switch back to home. This seems to trigger a refresh. Subscription seems to work the same way, but I switch to the Home screen.

edit: And today the Recommended stream is back so I have no idea. I believe you're right and it's intentional.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

milkaxor posted:

To be fair. The Youtube app on many of the streaming devices is lacking in some ways. On Android TV... It only shows your first 50ish subscriptions in your list. And like the ATV, it used to not update until you force closed the app and went back to it. Sometimes not even that worked, you had to reboot your entire device. And on Roku, the app is actually just a front end to tv.youtube.com and is thus comically slow on most Roku devices; don't even think about seeking on it. It also has the 50ish subscription limit.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
I don't see a way to turn off bluetooth for the AppleTV. I guess because the remote uses it? The issue I have is I can see my neighbor's AppleTV on my iPad/iPhone when I have bluetooth on which is rather annoying. If I could turn off that feature on my AppleTV, I would. Obviously that won't help me, but I just hate this oversight. I don't want to see my neighbor's devices on my airplay menu in my own apartment.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poppingseagull posted:

I don't see a way to turn off bluetooth for the AppleTV. I guess because the remote uses it? The issue I have is I can see my neighbor's AppleTV on my iPad/iPhone when I have bluetooth on which is rather annoying. If I could turn off that feature on my AppleTV, I would. Obviously that won't help me, but I just hate this oversight. I don't want to see my neighbor's devices on my airplay menu in my own apartment.

The Bluetooth used in the Apple TV (and your phone and IPad) has a functional range of 10m. Unless your neighbor is that close, you aren't seeing them over Bluetooth.

Regardless, Airplay and the remote app use your local network, not Bluetooth. Either you are on your neighbors wireless network, or he is on yours.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The way my condo is set up I have the same issue, seeing their ATV on my devices via BT. Super annoying and I wish I could blacklist devices from showing up.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

flosofl posted:

The Bluetooth used in the Apple TV (and your phone and IPad) has a functional range of 10m. Unless your neighbor is that close, you aren't seeing them over Bluetooth.

Regardless, Airplay and the remote app use your local network, not Bluetooth. Either you are on your neighbors wireless network, or he is on yours.

I only see it in my living room, not the other rooms. So it could be within 10 ft easily, let alone 10m. Just a single wall between.

Verified it is definitely bluetooth. Turning off bluetooth makes it go away.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

10m gets you pretty far in a townhouse condo with shared walls.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

10 m is being generous when you start accounting for walls and the like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

poppingseagull posted:

I only see it in my living room, not the other rooms. So it could be within 10 ft easily, let alone 10m. Just a single wall between.

Verified it is definitely bluetooth. Turning off bluetooth makes it go away.

Ah, OK. For some reason I thought Airplay used local network connection only. But now that I think about it, when I can choose playback on my phone I definitely see my BT headphones as a target.

Sorry for the misinformation people.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
So I recently moved to a new apartment where one of the things I wanted to do was build a nice media server setup. With all my money gone because there were other things to buy first, I found that my router supports NAS-like functionality where I can just attach any external HD to it and I can reach it in my home network.

At first I was happy that I could start building a media library now that it didn't need to be attached to my laptop anymore, with the laptop only acting as server for the ATV, I found out about Infuse. I'd seen it come by in this topic but never paid it any attention.

Now I'm wondering. What exactly would be the reason to ever use Plex? As far as I can see Infuse will play anything I throw at it, download subtitles from the internet automatically and doesn't require my laptop to act like a server because it just plays the files directly over the network. I'm not exactly an expert in this field so I'm sure there's some important functionality I'll miss by not using Plex, but I'm curious to see what it is so I can make an informed decision whether or not Infuse will do the trick. Not having to have my laptop attached to the power cord and running with the screen open would be a pretty sweet deal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If all I cared about was the AppleTV then I would probably be fine with Infuse. I have Plex installed on all my iPhone and iPads but also my Android tablet, and I use it to stream video via web interface when I'm at work or at someone else's place.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Martytoof posted:

If all I cared about was the AppleTV then I would probably be fine with Infuse. I have Plex installed on all my iPhone and iPads but also my Android tablet, and I use it to stream video via web interface when I'm at work or at someone else's place.

Infuse has iOS apps as well though?

Edit - I've set up my router so I can access the NAS from outside my home network as well, and I can watch movies with infuse on my iPhone without issue.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I Am Crake posted:

Infuse has iOS apps as well though?

Edit - I've set up my router so I can access the NAS from outside my home network as well, and I can watch movies with infuse on my iPhone without issue.

Sure, but I don't just watch on iOS devices. I also use Android, as well as desktops.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I learned to stop being critical of Infuse because there are those people out there who are completely within the Apple bubble for devices, especially if they're living alone and not networking together several TVs in bedrooms etc.

However, since it was asked, the easiest justification for Plex over Infuse for me was:

* We have several TVs and while one ATV4 is nice on our main family room the bedroom TVs that only get a few hours a week are going to have to get by with Fire TV Sticks. Therefore, Plex.

* Plex can be configured to stream and do an on the fly conversion of live TV from an HDHomeRun, which doesn't make any apps for iOS. So it essentially acts as a sling box where I'm watching my local TV channels while on the other side of the country.

* Plex is also building a DVR element, but it hasn't been developed long enough yet for my use.

* Plex handles streaming my music library to my iPhone when I'm out of the house.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I've got Plex on a remote server. Not the primary use for it but it's like I have my own tiny lil' Netflix that didn't delete King of the Hill :unsmith:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Craptacular! posted:

* Plex can be configured to stream and do an on the fly conversion of live TV from an HDHomeRun, which doesn't make any apps for iOS. So it essentially acts as a sling box where I'm watching my local TV channels while on the other side of the country.

* Plex is also building a DVR element, but it hasn't been developed long enough yet for my use.

Just FYI - Channels is an iOS (and tvOS) app that'll process HDHomeRun signals. The tvOS app has an extremely well put-together DVR element that will be coming to the iOS app in the near future.

For the record, I like Infuse but I'd love an easier setup to make it look and work great. Like Plex looks like a mature solution to media playback whereas Infuse doesn't right away.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Plex owns on ATV and is finally not a flaming hunk of poo poo on the Fire TV sticks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Do people bother with the plex pass or nah? I haven't found a compelling reason to yet, watching from safari on iOS devices works fine.

Maybe to create separate accounts would be useful but not worth shelling out for.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got a plex pass when they had the $129 special a few weeks back. My 2 main reasons were OTA DVR (since my DTV Now sub doesn't have locals or DVR) and the mobile sync feature which is an easy as hell way to get videos on to the iPad for the kids.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone know if the ATV3 does Dolby Pro Logic II? About to rearrange some inputs on my receiver and I might just plug the ATV directly into the TV this time (which only outputs to my receiver in stereo). If my understanding is correct, a stereo signal is all you need to get the 5.1-ish sound that PLII offers, but not sure if the ATV (or any of its streaming content providers, e.g. Netflix, HBO Now, etc.) provides audio that could be processed that way.

Not a big loss if it doesn't - I'd be moving the ATV's input in favor of a media center PC, which is probably better for maximizing the potential of streamed surround audio anyway.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.
I paid for Plex Pass so I could set up an account for my kids that only has their shows and G and PG movies.

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I learned to stop being critical of Infuse because there are those people out there who are completely within the Apple bubble for devices, especially if they're living alone and not networking together several TVs in bedrooms etc.

However, since it was asked, the easiest justification for Plex over Infuse for me was:

* We have several TVs and while one ATV4 is nice on our main family room the bedroom TVs that only get a few hours a week are going to have to get by with Fire TV Sticks. Therefore, Plex.

* Plex handles streaming my music library to my iPhone when I'm out of the house.

This makes sense. I'm a student living in an apartment so I only have one TV, and if I'm out and about the iOS app will fix me up. Good to know what the limitations of this setup are, and that it'll do fine for the time being. Thanks.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thwomp posted:

Just FYI - Channels is an iOS (and tvOS) app that'll process HDHomeRun signals. The tvOS app has an extremely well put-together DVR element that will be coming to the iOS app in the near future.

It looks okay. I feel it costs quite a bit, though I'd rather devs charge what they need to in order to keep working on something. Again, I don't use it because our house is family unit that can only afford an Apple TV on the family room TV, and all the bedrooms have cheap Android devices.

However, while I'm on that thought...

if I'm going to have a DVR and use a Windows machine as the backend, I'd rather use something like NextPVR as the backend and use MrMC/Kodi's DVR service as the front end. That would also give me more platforms and a web site I can access if I want to record things away from tvOS/iOS. Although the developer of NextPVR has also made an iOS app that he's experimenting with bringing to ATV as well, or at least he said as much last July.

If I sound weirdly obsessive about this stuff, apologies, this also happened earlier in HTPC thread. Going from Windows Media Center which I ran as a DVR going all the way back to 2008, to a totally modularized NextPVR/Plex setup that I can even access when I'm on the road (I spend weeks away from home so being able to use my DVR anywhere I get internet access is a huge thing) was a project that I spent too much time and energy on. I kind of want to shout, "this is amazing you guys!" but I know for most people's needs something like Plex or Channels is fine.

Actually I'll almost certainly jump to Plex's system once live TV is implemented and a guide and recording interface are added to AppleTV/FireTV. At the moment, using one app to watch shows, another app to watch recordings, and a web browser to schedule more recordings is just far too complicated for regular people who aren't huge nerds and just want something like TiVo or the cable companies box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey, speaking of Channels, has anyone been getting an "Unable to download app" popup repeatedly about that app? It's super annoying so I deleted the app to see if that would refresh it, but looks like I can't reinstall it since I get the same error. Figure it's an App store problem right now but just curious whether anyone else is seeing it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Hey, speaking of Channels, has anyone been getting an "Unable to download app" popup repeatedly about that app? It's super annoying so I deleted the app to see if that would refresh it, but looks like I can't reinstall it since I get the same error. Figure it's an App store problem right now but just curious whether anyone else is seeing it.

Yes. They're trying to fix with Apple.

I don't know if they're still doing it, but I DM'd them with my email on twitter last night and they made the latest stable beta available to me. (you do have to download Apple's TestFlight app to use beta codes). Look at their feed to see if they're still doing it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome, really glad I'm not the only one. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

It looks okay. I feel it costs quite a bit, though I'd rather devs charge what they need to in order to keep working on something. Again, I don't use it because our house is family unit that can only afford an Apple TV on the family room TV, and all the bedrooms have cheap Android devices.

How do you know they're not charging that? It's a niche app for a niche device. Even at $20, I can't imagine they're getting rich on it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

How do you know they're not charging that? It's a niche app for a niche device. Even at $20, I can't imagine they're getting rich on it.

I think that's what Craptacular is saying, but it's awkwardly worded. The devs are charging what they need to keep it afloat, but the value isn't worth the expense to him.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What I was getting at was they're charging $8 a month for the DVR in its early state, which is unusual since it still gets guide information complimentary from SiliconDust if I understand right, and it's usually TV guide that mandated a maintenance fee.

All DVR packages cost you something, whether it's just $25 annually to Schedules Direct for listings on a free DVR program, or $50 for the HDHomeRun DVR (which will switch to an as yet undisclosed monthly fee eventually), or what $40 for Plex Pass? $96 a year is high enough that it would really need to be the all around perfect DVR for me, but I can't fault the dev for charging what they believe works.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My mom is getting a symbol when she tries to use AirPlay from her iPad to her Apple TV (she's a veteran, so it isn't her first time). Instead of the usual TV logo, she gets a QuickTime logo with signals on both sides.

I can't find anything about this, but does this mean that the media is audio-only? There's sound coming out, but no video of what's supposed to be a livestream.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ufarn posted:

My mom is getting a symbol when she tries to use AirPlay from her iPad to her Apple TV (she's a veteran, so it isn't her first time). Instead of the usual TV logo, she gets a QuickTime logo with signals on both sides.

I can't find anything about this, but does this mean that the media is audio-only? There's sound coming out, but no video of what's supposed to be a livestream.

Yes that's the "audio only" symbol for apple/quicktime. It usually means that it doesn't support the video codec, not that the file actually is without video (but still sometimes is an audio-only file). In order, I'd restart the airplay connection, restart the wi-fi connection, and if neither of those works reboot both devices. This will not definitely fix it, but it can once in a while.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Tim, making it more difficult to play video on your video box using long-established methods is kind of... stupid?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Just have to bitch for a minute how annoyed I am that the 4th gen AppleTV still doesn't have an Amazon Video or Vudu app. I'm the weirdo who actually buys all his movies digitally and while I mostly buy from iTunes sometimes the other stores have better prices, or exclusive poo poo. Or because the digital codes friends/family give me are Ultraviolet only.

Basically I want to get the xbox out of my living room so I can finally mount and hide everything behind the TV and live out my dream of a floating TV with no visible boxes around it and no cables visible.

Work out your Goddamn poo poo Apple and Amazon

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A Fire TV stick is completely invisible.

Apple can't force other stores to develop for them. Amazon's video team is basically being ordered to do a solid for the hardware team here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They're direct competitors because of the itunes store. Don't hold your breath for ever getting one.