Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TKIY posted:

Aren't there specific faction abilities I lose if they aren't all from the same faction?

Like I thought in order to get the Sylvaneth bonuses all your units had to be Sylvaneth. I should add that don't have the Battletome thingy and I'm not buying it either so I don't know if the formation rules are available online or not...

It doesn't matter. Just assemble the force you want with the models you want, drink heavily, shove your models into the middle of the table all piled up on top of one another, roll way too many dice, and win or lose based on who is the first player to get two turns in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
That was my experience the last two times I tried it, but he is a persistent fellow and about the only outlet for Fantasy gaming I have right now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Practice now for 8th edition, you can teach the rest of us how to forge our battletome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TKIY posted:

That was my experience the last two times I tried it, but he is a persistent fellow and about the only outlet for Fantasy gaming I have right now.

Right, I get that. My point though is, why sweat whether or not you get the unified army bonus or whatever? You're trying to optimize the deck chairs on the Titanic.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SteelMentor posted:

New mounted cavalry/hero for Stormcast.

That's a big turkey.

You could make so many collards with that neck.

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Also some sniper dudes.

"NOT NOW BIRD I'M TRYING TO SHOOT!"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm the overcompensation

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

TKIY posted:

Aren't there specific faction abilities I lose if they aren't all from the same faction?

Like I thought in order to get the Sylvaneth bonuses all your units had to be Sylvaneth. I should add that don't have the Battletome thingy and I'm not buying it either so I don't know if the formation rules are available online or not...
it means you can't use the sykvaneth specific ones, but there are allegiance abilities for Order in general you get instead if you have the generals handbook

ofc if you have neither the battletome or the handbook it don't matter :v:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have the Handbook.

Edit: I have acquired Battletome Sylvaneth through entirely legal manners.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Im pretty sure that one is pronounced "bob."

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

TKIY posted:

I would have said Tzeentch since it looks like its an amalgam of a bunch of animals.

Anyhow, my one AoS friend is pushing me to play again and I hate myself, so what kind of poo poo do I need to use a bunch of Dryands and Treemen? I bought a bunch of WE kits in the last throes of 8th and have Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn as well, but I guess they aren't tree spirits anymore so I can't use them with the Treemen?

I bought three of the Treemen kits and already had forty Dryads and tons of Glade Guard and Glade Riders so I'd like to use all of them together somehow?

Depends on how hard you want to bring the pain. First, get the Sylvaneth book so you can get the rules for various relics. Then you'll want some of the Glades. They let you deep strike certain units / formations onto the field. Sylvaneth are a highly mobile army so for building you want to leverage that. Don't design your lists thinking in 8th edition terms, use deep strike so that if your opponent gets a double turn you can punish him on your second turn. There is a relic that lets you summon an extra Glade which you could place over an objective to cause more problems for him.

You can mix Sylvaneth with Wood Elves, but you might not be able to use Sylvaneth specific relics and lore and some of your abilities might not affect the Wood Elves (check the keywords).

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

It doesn't matter. Just assemble the force you want with the models you want, drink heavily, shove your models into the middle of the table all piled up on top of one another, roll way too many dice, and win or lose based on who is the first player to get two turns in a row.

Game doesn't play that way. I'm trying to decide between closing this thread or taking a more active roll in trying to dispell mistaken notions. It's pretty frustrating because most of the posts here are one line poo poo posts with no real content.

The current set of scenarios allow for play a lot more like 40k than the early impressions of "mass in the middle." You might run for the middle, but your opponent (if they are playing to the objectives) will avoid that and go score. The turn doubling requires you to think a lot more about when you bring forces in. Unlike 40k you have total control over your deep striking reinforcements and you can respond to an enemy's plan much more freely if you keep a chunk of your army off the board. Stormcast, Skaven, and Sylvaneth all have interesting ways to get units on the board later.

When the game first released there was no matched play objective other than kill points, so everyone ran for the middle. The current state of the game is one where list building, placement, movement management, etc, all matter just as much as how killy a unit is. For example, Sylvaneth can get a first turn alpha strike on the enemy dealing around 30 wounds on turn 1. Yet, that isn't particularly over powered because there are ways of making that strategy too risky. Stormcasts might keep a brotherhood off the board, leaving a low value target for the Sylvaneth and then teleport the brotherhood behind the Sylvaneth, taking objectives and decimating their monsters and key casters.

A meta game has emerged that tames most of the excesses, but there are some problematic lists. Clan Skryre, for example, can deep strike their entire army from underground tunnels. This is mostly a problem for some chaos lists like Bloodbound who don't have much of an ability to deep strike to punish skryre for deploying out of tunnels too far forward. On the flip side, Bloodbound can deliver massive amounts of mortal wounds so they mostly suffer if they get hit before they can buff up.

It's more interesting than it gets credit and the endless trolling makes trying to contribute something positive to this board feel like a waste of time.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I can use many of the formations in the Sylvaneth book because in only have pre-AoS models and the tree Spirit things from the new sets feature pretty heavily.

I actually have like six of the GW woods so no problem there.

I have tons of ghouls and horrors and they have a faction now too I think?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Yeah, Ghouls, Crypt Horrors and Ghoul King vamps got rolled into Flesh Eater Courts. Their whole bag is their heros buffing/reinforcing their units, they seem pretty cool but I've never played with/against them.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to have a strategy when your opponent can randomly take two turns in a row without a rebuttal?

Like how the hell do you play around a unit of shitfuckers materializing behind a unit and then having two rounds of uninterrupted combat against it?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Ps: not sure if "it plays like 40k" is a good thing, because not only is that game currently a dumpster fire but if I wanted to play a game that plays like 40k I'd just play 40k

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
someone link me to a recent AoS battle report please

I want to judge for myself if this game has improved

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Moola posted:

I watched one in person and it was guys arguing in depth about RAW vs RAI for 6 hours and there was a fistfight

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
heres something i found with a 2 second search on youtube, didnt actually watch it tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMnKOpnvFBA

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Business Gorillas posted:

Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to have a strategy when your opponent can randomly take two turns in a row without a rebuttal?

Like how the hell do you play around a unit of shitfuckers materializing behind a unit and then having two rounds of uninterrupted combat against it?

Sure, there's quite a bit of developed theory in the community about playing for and defending against the double turn.

There's some of that here:

https://aos-tactics.com/2017/01/08/how-to-optimise-for-the-double-turn/

The double turn isn't just two rounds of combat. If you think of the game as a pile in the middle than, sure, you're going to be limited in how you think about the double turn. In games where you're playing for objectives the double turn adds a bunch of complexity. Also, because of alternating combat you don't take two rounds of uninterrupted combat. Your opponent goes twice, but both players get to play during the combat phase. You get to pick your order of activation. Double turn is least impactful on combat and most impactful on the other phases.

Two rounds of movement let you avoid combat against a poorly positioned enemy and take/score an objective. If your opponent is due a double turn, you don't want to group up quite as much. You might avoid committing everything to a fight and favor covering an objective instead. If you are due the double turn, you might position in a way where (if it comes) you can make the play on the objective that you want.

A round of movement and then shooting can be useful for units that have to move and shoot, so if your opponent is due the double turn you may position differently than otherwise. For example, a long charge to wound the shooter can be worth taking if they are due the double turn.

So the double turn mostly impacts the thinking that goes into the turn before the double turn.

You also have the ability to not take the double turn. If you do this, your opponent does not get a double turn either. Because shooting is very strong in the double turn, gunline armies tend to give their opponents double turns when they can and tend to be denied them when they don't have the initiative.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

It was still poo poo the last time I tried but in played Tomb Kings and their rules were squatted just as hard as the model line.

I'm hoping that I can find solace in models GW still wants to sell.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

TKIY posted:

It was still poo poo the last time I tried but in played Tomb Kings and their rules were squatted just as hard as the model line.

I'm hoping that I can find solace in models GW still wants to sell.

Tomb Kings recently won some major on the back of an HQ that let your take a ton of command actions in a turn.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Tomb Kings was always one of my favorite armies thematically and visually. It could have been its own kooky little ancients game where everyone was undead. Look out Persian Literal Immortals!

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

mango sentinel posted:

Tomb Kings recently won some major on the back of an HQ that let your take a ton of command actions in a turn.

I've actually had a great time playing with my Tomb Kings. Been really fun and very competitive.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah they ironically actually seem like one of the more fun factions to play right now

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Weren't the Tomb Kings supposed to be miserable in old warhams? Wasn't it something like they actually played mostly like a real ancient army and therefore sucked poo poo compared to all of the wacky armies with tanks and dragons and demons and poo poo?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

Weren't the Tomb Kings supposed to be miserable in old warhams? Wasn't it something like they actually played mostly like a real ancient army and therefore sucked poo poo compared to all of the wacky armies with tanks and dragons and demons and poo poo?

As a tomb kings player (but not Age of Sigmar), yeah kinda. They had one of the very first new army books for 8th edition, and later 8th edition books had a lot of power creep that left the TKs behind.

Fortunately 100% of my tomb kings models are usable as Empire of Dust for Kings of War, a fully supported game with actually good rules. :)

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

There's one thing I don't understand, why would you not develop the rules for the loving armies and units concurrently. Sure, you have to stagger the releases for practical reasons, but it's not like you can't play test the twelfth army book and the first one at the same time. You don't need the fluff or art, just the rules. GW just makes barely functioning skeleton rules for every army at launch as a stopgap and then rolls them out one at a time, seemingly developing each one in a vacuum. It's very strange.

E: oh wait. You hold the functional rules hostage for money, duh. Still no reason you couldn't develop them in a more coherent manner.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 28, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pvt.Scott posted:

There's one thing I don't understand, why would you not develop the rules for the loving armies and units concurrently. Sure, you have to stagger the releases for practical reasons, but it's not like you can't play test the twelfth army book and the first one at the same time. You don't need the fluff or art, just the rules. GW just makes barely functioning skeleton rules for every army at launch as a stopgap and then rolls them out one at a time, seemingly developing each one in a vacuum. It's very strange.

E: oh wait. You hold the functional rules hostage for money, duh. Still no reason you couldn't develop them in a more coherent manner.

It's because they don't care.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting with 1k points and I guess I'll do flesh eaters.

I have 2 Dragon/Terrorgheist kits, 4 horror kits (12 models) and probably 30-40 Ghouls. List ideas?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
One Ghoul King on a Zombie Dragon, one on foot and a Terrorgeist on it's lonesome.

Build the Horrors box as Horrors, but make sure to put two aside and snazz them up to use as Courtier heroes. They'll form the main beast-stick of your army. Do the same with Ghouls, your Ghoul Courtier heroes here will keep your little cannibals in the fight as they tar-pit for your Horrors.

Obviously you won't be able to use them all at 1000pts. Personally I'd go with:

Ghoul King on foot
Crypt Haunter Courtier
Crypt Ghast Courtier

20 Ghouls
20 Ghouls
3 Horrors
3 Horrors

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 28, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Terrorgeist? They really missed the mark with that one. I would have preferred Spookyghost, myself.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

its a shame that aos is very not good, i always wanted to make a cannibal court army

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Business Gorillas posted:

its a shame that aos is very not good, i always wanted to make a cannibal court army

Kings of War/9A never took off here, and AoS remains the only game in town for Fantasy.

At this point I'd rather use my models than not, and I can only hope that the 'new-GW' we've seen in the last 8 months or so will continue to improve the game.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Well one hour before bed turned into two and I finished up a test skeleton for my new Tomb Kings.

Pleased with the colour combo, and with how quick it'll be to get the army up using this scheme.

Really need a better sand recipe. I want a more warm yellowish tone to it. Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Horace-Noah posted:

Well one hour before bed turned into two and I finished up a test skeleton for my new Tomb Kings.

Pleased with the colour combo, and with how quick it'll be to get the army up using this scheme.

Really need a better sand recipe. I want a more warm yellowish tone to it. Any constructive criticism would be very appreciated!

If you are using GW paints just drybrush the sand with z-something yellow. Zamesi Desert?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Zandri Dust. Though personally I prefer just using the Armageddon texture paints over modelling sand.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

That mould line is murdering my balls.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You need to use actual sand like from the beach cause that's way too thick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted: