Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My mate has an 06 spec B 3.0 sedan, with the 6 speed.

Gorgeous car. Only problem is it's not the wagon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The stereo is just something else. Holy moly it PUMPS

Is it the stock one with the 6 CD changer in the dash and 6x9 sub in the back? Mine had that and I really liked how it sounded.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The stereo is just something else. Holy moly it PUMPS

I assume Australians only have AC/DC and SIlverchair CDs in their changers.

edit: both great choices

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

DJ Commie posted:

I assume Australians only have AC/DC and SIlverchair CDs in their changers.

edit: both great choices

AC/DC, The Angels and Cold Chisel. The Living End for a bit of a change

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is it the stock one with the 6 CD changer in the dash and 6x9 sub in the back? Mine had that and I really liked how it sounded.

Yeah it's the stock unit. Seems to be well regarded if it's a proper McIntosh and not the later Clarion. Also found out there's pages and pages dedicated to adding bits to the McIntosh units so they can control Bluetooth, DVD players and also settign up Android / Iphones as Incar touch screens.....!

(No surprise for other people but the first thing I usually look or is How do I mod this engine bit..... and I ignore ICE stuff)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah it's the stock unit. Seems to be well regarded if it's a proper McIntosh and not the later Clarion. Also found out there's pages and pages dedicated to adding bits to the McIntosh units so they can control Bluetooth, DVD players and also settign up Android / Iphones as Incar touch screens.....!

Hah, no poo poo. I kept the original head unit and didnt cut anything so I could do that still but now I have my old amp and 12s in it so mine REALLY pumps now, haha. I kept the stock speakers though since they sound really good for stock so its not worth upgrading. Even before I put the subs in the stockers sounded great with the new head unit even without the 6x9 sub hooked up. Ive had a lot of nice stereos over the years and Im really impressed with the stock speakers in the XT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So whats the reverse of Oh God why do I even what am I doing?

The GT just left with it's new owner. I got basically what I spent on it - and happy it's going to a good home. Not even a bit sad to see it go - it lived, it died, it lived again. And I am really proud that I spent the time and resurrected it, the GT deserved to drive again.

Commodore hopefully goes on Friday.

Wait, that frees up room for lovely Subarus, doesnt it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Have you considered piston Mazdas? :)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

CharlesM posted:

LS swaped RX8?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elephanthead posted:

LS swaped RX8?

More like 323 GTR.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AC/DC, The Angels and Cold Chisel. The Living End for a bit of a change

Is it bad that all I really want to do if/when I visit Australia is rent a Ute and blast down a dirt highway playing AC/DC as loud as the stereo will go?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

LS swaped RX8?

Door. That way.

CharlesM posted:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

beep-beep car is go posted:

Is it bad that all I really want to do if/when I visit Australia is rent a Ute and blast down a dirt highway playing AC/DC as loud as the stereo will go?

No, this is a completely normal desire

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

You'd have to drive like 6+ hours on a regular highway to get anywhere close to a dirt highway but sure.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Laserface posted:

You'd have to drive like 6+ hours on a regular highway to get anywhere close to a dirt highway but sure.

Renting a Ute. Driving on a dirt highway. Playing AC/DC. if 6 hours of driving is what it takes, then that's what it takes. There has to be people from outside the US that just want to drive in the US right? I just want to drive in Australia.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

You've just made a new posting nemesis.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Manual swap that b-spec stat, friend

CharlesM posted:

someones never been in a rotary miata

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CharlesM posted:

More like 323 GTR.

The only good Mazda.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

FIGHT ME

Nodoze posted:

Manual swap that b-spec stat, friend

someones never been in a rotary miata

Preach it brother! RADL for lyfe!

(Give me a couple of months. My wallet needs to recover)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DJ Commie posted:

The only good Mazda.

All Mazdas are good :arghfist:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

All Mazdas are good :arghfist:

Only Mazdas with triangles are good!

I'll give the 323 GTX a pass tho.

Random musings -

I think I mentioned somewhere else I test drove a Subaru Levorg not long ago as I was tossing up my wagon options - I was always going to swap the Commodore for a larger wagon as while Foresters are fun, they are a tiny bit smaller than I need. A Levorg is the wagon version of the WRX these days - 2 litre FA turbo mid sized wagon, AWD of course, resonably well appointed with a bias to handling rather than softness. Stop me if you have heard this playbook before.....

Pretty much pitched to the small family but with a bit of speed and "fun", rather than the softness of a 6th Gen Liberty. Kinda for the guy or gal that has a kid or two and has outgrown the WRX but hey, they still want something sporty right?

The one I test drove was a Spec.B so a bit more tuned for sporty. (Stop me if you have heard this somewhere else...). First impressins are of what appears to be nicely built car with a bit of quality fittings but TBH I thought after a bit.. hang on this looks nice but there's signs of cheapness if you look close. The touch screen is a disaster and the steering wheel is festooned with buttons for a bunch of poo poo like the radar cruise control. Very blaaaaack too. The seat are good with plenty of adjustment and support. The engine itself is pretty nice but... really the sound aint mch to write home about. The Bilstein suspension works well and really is just a delight to lean on (Stop me if you have heard this somewhere else....) and the steering a bit dull but again pretty nice. The wagon is spacious and I would say seems to also remind me of another car for some odd reason. Brakes are good and well modulated, ABS doesnt kick in unless you are having a desperate dive and all in all this really is a good thing.

The elephant in the room is the CVT however. I have driven earlier CVT's from Subaru and this one is much improved but it is still simply put a turd. GG what a machine ths would be with even a traditional auto let alone a manual. I think Subaru really missed a trick here when they were designing this car - the CVT jsut does NOT work for a sports wagon. But I will say that I was seriously considering one because frankly the rest of the car really makes up for the turdbox. It is I think a fairly handsome and aggressive looking car esp from the front.

Interstingly the rest of the stats have a familiar ring to it as well. Size, weight, performace and even power seem oddly familiar. It's as if Subaru were copying from something.....

Hmmm.. I wonder what....

Test driving a 4th Gen Liberty Spec.B even in auto form REALLY belted home that Subaru really have done this all before. The Levorg is an absolute dead ringer for what was a highly popular wagon that is in a fair bit of second hand demand. The Spec.B here came in turbo 2.5 litre turbo form or the 3 litre atmo 6 cylinder. A lot of people (me included) think the 6 cyl despite the power disadvantage is THE motor to get as it is truly loving sweeeeet. But consider ....

1) Mid sized wagon
2) Tuned for suspension performance
3) Resonably well equipped
4) Well built and quite a fun thing to drive

I mean, even the seats have a resemblance. And the interior size is uncanny similar. It's like Subaru took a Spec.B Liberty and facelifted the gently caress out of it.

So there you are, I drat near bought a Levorg. But I'm getting the car it was modelled off instead for a LOT cheaper and I think..... well... actually 10 years on and the Spec.B is STILL an entertaining car. And the manual one drove years ago was a real eye opener in just how good a Liberty could be.

I'll just say that Subaru does deserve to sell Levorgs as aside from the turdbox it's just a good car. Who knows, I might think about one later but I know it wont dwell in the mind like the Liberty did. Saturday cant come fast enough :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 25, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

That's a strange looking Camaro. You guys down under do everything weird.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Is that a car or a shelf?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
What do the 3.0l's go for over there? Here in NZ looks like you can pick them up for NZ$7.5-10k all day long. (Mostly used Jap imports)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kris_b posted:

What do the 3.0l's go for over there? Here in NZ looks like you can pick them up for NZ$7.5-10k all day long. (Mostly used Jap imports)

Depends - I know the prices of the 4th gens so I'll use that - A few low km ones are up in the 17K range, lovely ones 8K. The Spec.B's add a grand or two more on. 4th Gens seem to have held their value the best.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Mate bought his about 5 years back for $16 with 170K on the clock, but with doccumented proof of a new engine at 90K kms. Apparently the first owner didnt believe in oil changes, second owner was a member of the Hardy family (biiig deal in South Aus) and he bought it subaru pre-owned at 60K kms. At 90K it started to burn more oil than fuel so subaru threw a new engine in it under warranty.

We also found out afterwards that the previous owner had the ECU touched up and it put down a dyno'd 150KW to all 4. Which make it hilariously quick for an NA sedan full of leather.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If he put a good exhaust on, it would have sounded amazing too.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its on the cards. He lost his job and his beater Ford Corsair got crushed by a tree in the storms so we gotta wait for more money to show up before a new zorst goes on. Its hilariously quick for something that sounds so... pedestrian...

As is wondering whether to go the Supergramps of a single turbo or whether a supercharger kit would be more better to up the insanity

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've got a 13' Outback with the 3.6 and the motor is a treat. Just torque everywhere. It's a cavern inside. I can sit a 6+ foot person behind me easily, which actually happens very often. The low oil sensor is bitching constantly though.

I really want to do headers and an exhaust, but the wife is due in July.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

A project success leaves

(Made back what it cost me)

A car I never really got to grips with and also nickel and dimed me to death also leaves

Which of course means there's more room for lost Subarus.....

Don Dongington posted:

So place your bets AI - how long will CT make it into 2017 before buying another Subaru:

Jan 28

Oh God why do I even what am I doing

:D

See ya, I'm off driving this wonderful thing

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A project success leaves

(Made back what it cost me)

A car I never really got to grips with and also nickel and dimed me to death also leaves

Which of course means there's more room for lost Subarus.....

Jan 28

:D

See ya, I'm off driving this wonderful thing

Yeeeessssssssssssssss :fh:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

This is gonna be a regretful purchase

I regret not getting one sooner. Oh what a gorgeous thing to drive

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've never driven an H6 :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CharlesM posted:

I've never driven an H6 :(

Smooth, revs, sounds amazing

Annnd ummmm...... Oh god why do I even what am I doing?

Stat writeoff stolen / recvovered donor for the red Forester. The final pieces falling into place

Now back to the Liberty....

Ive had a chance to give it a really good look over without a car dealer over my shoulder and my initial impressions are correct - this car is clean. Not just in a it just got detailed way but in a holy poo poo someone looked after this thing way - I cant find any paint scratches anywhere. I can only find the most utterly minor of parking lot dent. It has an immaculate service history. I'm the second owner. Driving it I had to remind myself it's a ten year old car, it drives and steers just that well. The Commodore is a younger car but LOL the Liberty just beats it up for pure steering feel and driving poise. Sure the SSV has big power and a manual buuut.... nope. The Liberty cant drop massive burnouts but it doesnt need to.

One thing I will look at is neg camber isnt what I want in a Subaru.

Dirtiest of any part of this car. I'll fix that tomorrow. Also this is the first car I have owned with a sunroof and it freaked me out using it today. I'm just not used to a roof with a big ol hole in it and I closed it after about 5 minutes. Tried again later and still weird as gently caress but pretty sweet.

Is it normal for a car with a sunroof to be lacking in buffeting? I barely had to bump the stereo volume up.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sunroof is god mode for cooling those things down on a hot day- open all windows and sunroof and drive and under a minute you'll have all the heat out.

One thing to watch on the EZ30 is the belt idler and tensioner bearings. Mates liberty and his mums EZ36 outback have both poo poo out the belt idler bearing around every 100K kms. First time he didn't catch it in time and it locked up. Problem is it's mounted on a cast alloy boss which gets munted instantly when the bearing seizes and that boss is part of the alternator bracket, which is $270 from Subaru.

Good news is bearings are cheap and replaceable. We drop the belt off every oil change and just give em a spin to see if they're going noisy or not.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Jan 28

You mad bastard.

Also the IS300 is the first sunroof'd car I've had in about a decade, but I'm swiftly reminded that it's only usable for about 2 weeks of the year in Perth, other than as a means to let the 60 degree air out before the AC takes over.

Holy poo poo I'm tempted to use it to flip drivers off constantly though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Don Dongington posted:

You mad bastard.

Also the IS300 is the first sunroof'd car I've had in about a decade, but I'm swiftly reminded that it's only usable for about 2 weeks of the year in Perth, other than as a means to let the 60 degree air out before the AC takes over.

Holy poo poo I'm tempted to use it to flip drivers off constantly though.

It's also good for one other thing:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Raluek posted:

It's also good for one other thing:

Holy poo poo I gotta do this

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Flipping people off through the sunroof is a loving magical experience. Until you forget you closed it and ram your finger into the glass.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The only issue I can spot with the Liberty is that it REALLY doesnt like hauling rear end up the mountains when the temp is over 44C. Neither did the WRX either but the Liberty is very marginal on cooling when you are wanting power to climb and the road temp is basically mindblowingly hot.

Like when I'm on the bicycle and the Garmin is registering 44+C. No power and cant stay cool. Monday one of my shoes began to melt just due to how goddamn hot the tarmac's relection was.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Surely 44+ degree days aren't exactly a regular occurrence in NSW, though.

:Perthstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The only issue I can spot with the Liberty is that it REALLY doesnt like hauling rear end up the mountains when the temp is over 44C. Neither did the WRX either but the Liberty is very marginal on cooling when you are wanting power to climb and the road temp is basically mindblowingly hot.

Like when I'm on the bicycle and the Garmin is registering 44+C. No power and cant stay cool. Monday one of my shoes began to melt just due to how goddamn hot the tarmac's relection was.

I've had to turn off A/C and back off in my WRX chasing another car up a mountain, even when it wasn't that hot. I had like 2 or 3 people in the car though. To my credit when we got to the top the other guy's car was boiling over and he was like "why is this happening?"

The WRX ('03) didn't really seem to be built for heavy duty as the stock brakes faded out without a whole lot of effort too. To be fair though the car was actually bought as a commuter because at the time it was the only Impreza with side-airbags.