Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Unoriginal One posted:

Threw eight tickets at it to see what I got; wound up with Yun, two Lings, and a 3* Xiao.

Going to have to shake my team up after that; was already planning on dropping Vaan for 6* Rain, and I've been thinking of dropping Krile for Luka, but now I'm thinking I might want to consider swapping out Bartz and Rydia as well. On the other hand, she is only half a level away from Meteor...

Edit: Looking at it, whatever plans I have might have to wait until I've restocked on 6* awakening mats.

The only big thing I have noticed about the Vaan vs Rain swap out are the bar- spells. Rain can't equip them as it stands. In my current main party I could pawn them out between CoD, Charlotte, Exdeath and Lenna...but hopefully I'm not sacrificing anything that I'm taking away from the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hey girl you up posted:

Note that the exploration (top banner) refreshes every day with new challenges/rewards, so you probably want to run all of them today.

If you don't complete a mission by server reset time, it's gone for good. Check the wiki to see what's coming up so you don't miss something you want.

https://exviuswiki.com/Lunar_New_Year

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

m.hache posted:

I don't advise doing this. It's that grey area where bans "may" be given out.

Sorta like how bans were "handed out" for the Maxwell event but 90% of this thread did it and we're still here.

It's so drat easy to run. I managed to do it in 10 minutes this morning.

I don't remember hearing about bans for Maxwell, that was around when they started banning injectors though. I actually had a similar bug beat Maxwell for me the first time, but mostly what people were doing with her was killing the app again and again (and again and again) to try and accumulate esper orbs, which is probably easier to track than the game crashing and defaulting you to a win

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gumi deserved Maxwell cheeseing due to making a check for a 'kill everyone' ability be reset on app close. That's just basic programming.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
So the Nian daily doesn't register for me. I've killed it three times now.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

MohShuvuu posted:

So the Nian daily doesn't register for me. I've killed it three times now.

Are you doing the boss fights or the explorations? The daily goes off the explorations.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

hagie posted:

The only big thing I have noticed about the Vaan vs Rain swap out are the bar- spells. Rain can't equip them as it stands. In my current main party I could pawn them out between CoD, Charlotte, Exdeath and Lenna...but hopefully I'm not sacrificing anything that I'm taking away from the others.

CoD's Omni-veil is every bar-element spell in one, you don't need to equip any others.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

gently caress good point.

I just maxed out my main squad so I haven't gotten much into the higher tier battles.

Not sure how I feel about having CoD dormant for 2 rounds casting that and/or protectga, though

hagie fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2017

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Lenna's Cheer is better than Protectga.

This should help: https://exviuswiki.com/Ability_Materia

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Important Megacryst Note

This exploration is likely the best time to farm Megacrysts we've ever had. There are 6 collection points, and the base energy cost is 5.

These points drop lumber, ores, and then every flavor of crysts and megacrysts. I don't know if the chances are different for each difficulty, but I doubt it.

For newer players: this is important because one of the best items in the game is the Hero Ring, which is made with 10 each of Ice and Fire megas, which gives +10% atk/mag. There will "soon" be upgrades to those rings, using the other colors and light/dark. You should keep your megas always.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I've only had the first and last point drop megas and that's in at least 10 runs, not sure if I'm just unlucky or what but it speeds up to farming process if that's actually the case.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Got curb stomped on ELT Great Nian so I actually read the wiki and then cleared it no problem. Didn't get the esper kill but got the other two. Burned some tix in celebration:

Xiao #7
Xiao #8 (After I got Xiao #6 on the generic free pull yesterday)
Gold Agrias #4
Zidane #5

I hearby magically bequeath any future Zidane draws to any goon that needs him.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

rabidsquid posted:

snows primary purpose is that he's one of the pieces of the voltron that is Busted Firion

What're the other pieces of this puzzle?

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

hamsystem posted:

What're the other pieces of this puzzle?

Yun's TM armor
Xiao TM Fist
Chiz TM Materia
Miyuki TM Katana
Hayate TM Hat
2x Snow TM Accessory

and Dual Wield + whatever atk passives

Something like that. Basically take advantage of his ability to use all the equipment and the passives tied to them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i didnt pay attention to what the units on this new banner do at all, why is everyone drawing a ton? is one of the new units busted?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

i didnt pay attention to what the units on this new banner do at all, why is everyone drawing a ton? is one of the new units busted?

Chocobro.

Not necessarily because he's a great unit, but because he's on a chocobo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats a pretty compelling argument to pull, lets see if i can get one

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

rabidsquid posted:

Nothing super-busted, but Ling has some nice utility (including a full-team Raise), and Yun and Xiao are both solid physical damage dealers.

Also, Chocobo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Free pull was my first gold crystal in awhile, so of course it was a loving Russel because the summon change can't come soon enough. 1/2 pull gave me Xiao #4. :sigh:

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

My gold today was a Shadow.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

hagie posted:

My gold today was a Shadow.

I miss the days when there were five or six posts every morning about gold Shadow or gold Bedile.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I miss the days when there were five or six posts every morning about gold Shadow or gold Bedile.

I tried! There were two!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Got a Lenna, 2 Xaios, and a Ling today. Good haul.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Wowza, the Great Nian Beast may be the hardest content I've had to face so far. ELT doesn't seem beatable even with a friend Noctis with over 800 atk and I barely scratched out a victory earlier on Pro.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Armitage posted:

Wowza, the Great Nian Beast may be the hardest content I've had to face so far. ELT doesn't seem beatable even with a friend Noctis with over 800 atk and I barely scratched out a victory earlier on Pro.

It's not like they've been hiding that most of the content is balanced around the assumption you're spending hundreds of dollars on the game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so how does one beat the :nyan:beast?

What is everyone doing?

What is your party lineup?

How many TMs are you using, can you do it with less if so?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

WebDO posted:

It's not like they've been hiding that most of the content is balanced around the assumption you're spending hundreds of dollars on the game

Dark Fina on her hardest mode was so much easier even with just a friend unit that socks it to 'em good. It would help if Hex Strike/Fire Flask would work. To be fair I haven't tried Hex Strike but if Fire Flask doesn't work then Hex Strike likely won't either.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Way I beat it was Fullbreak/Undermine it, Omniveil (Though really I would just bring both Barfira/thundara for higher resist), and a shitload of damage

Item thing shouldnt be so bad so long as chaining for it counts.

Alexei
Aug 16, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Okay, so how does one beat the :nyan:beast?

What is everyone doing?

What is your party lineup?

How many TMs are you using, can you do it with less if so?

ELT is doable for me. My setup is hardly ideal, so I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. I can go long enough to fill the esper bar and whittle down the boss to a sliver of health, but somehow I keep messing up the timing in the end for the "kill with esper & item" quests.

This is my party (all 6* lv. 100s):

Gilgamesh - 454 ATK (Equipped with: Flame Mail)
Cecil - 534 DEF (Equipped with: Thunder Shield) (Sacred Guard is level 17/25)
Elza - 625 ATK (Esper: Ifrit)
Refia
Cloud of Darkness - 390 ATK (Esper: Ramuh. Equipped with: Barthundara, Jeweled Ring)
Noctis - goon friend with insane ATK

My only TM is Genji Glove on Elza (I don't macro, so it took me a while to get it via trust moogles).

Refia: Embolden & Curaja
Cecil: Focus, Limit Break when Embolden is down, then mostly auto-attacks or Curaja if needed
Gilgamesh: mostly auto-attacks
Cloud of Darkness: support. Barthundara, Comeback if lots of people get AoE paralyzed, Dispel if the boss buffs itself, otherwise auto-attack
Noctis: mostly Warp Break and auto-attacks

On turns where big boss uses "Preparation" I just use auto attacks to avoid its "Tooth for tooth" retaliation attack.

Hope this helps someone. :) Good luck with the fight!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Alexei posted:

On turns where big boss uses "Preparation" I just use auto attacks to avoid its "Tooth for tooth" retaliation attack.

Hope this helps someone. :) Good luck with the fight!

He does it to me even if I just auto-attack? What triggers it?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Spells and limit breaks. Even ones that don't attack him.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

Chocobro.

Not necessarily because he's a great unit, but because he's on a chocobo.

Legitimately the only reason I blew some tickets on the banner, all I got for my troubles was a pile of Xiaos and a couple Clynes

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CyberLord XP posted:

Spells and limit breaks. Even ones that don't attack him.

Oh, so even healing? That explains it.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Elza (Doublehand), Bartz (Carbuncle), Cecil, Refia (Dualcast), Noctis, friend Noctis.

Bartz alternates through keeping up Barthundara & Barfira. The Noctii cover Warp Break & Thunder Flask turn 1, then alternate between who gets the honour of keeping Cover up. Cecil provokes (then Focuses), Refia Emboldens. Then everyone autoattacks unless they have a more important job to do that were listed previously. When he casts Preparation, Refia Dispels him and the Noctii immediately re-break him.

I...honestly didn't know he had a on-magic-cast trigger since the incoming damage output was negligible to people who weren't named Elza.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I used a weird rear end team and it worked out really well. I followed the wiki's instructions and I got all of the missions completed in one run. Only 1 TMR used total (Dualcast).

Comp:
2x CoD - Passive elemental & status resist, Comeback, Barfira on one, Barthundara on the other to save MP/get full buff coverage in 1 turn. No TMRs at all.

Vaan - Full Break and no annoying Counter like Rain to ruin an attempt.

Cecil/Refia - Refia had Dualcast.

Friend - 800+ ATK Noctis (but honestly any Noctis would probably be fine)

I basically wanted to make a team that could last forever while I whittled down Greater Nian's HP.

Every 3 turns I put up Embolden/Focus/Barthundara/Barfira/Cover/Full Break substituting Cecil's LB when it was up. Then 2 turns auto attack. Guard with everyone during Preparation and didn't dispel since the damage debuffs would help me target the HP better. Once I had Esper and Noctis's LB gauges up, I used Warp Break to speed it up. I got him sub-15k (8.2k in my case) then followed the wiki directions:

1. Turn on Esper animation
2. Queue up Diabolos, Noctis's LB, and Bomb Fragments for everyone else
3. Press Diabolos unit and have your finger ready over Noctis
4. When the CGI appears, tap where your finger over Noctis is until his LB fires
5. Wait until you see OVERKILL
6. Spam Bomb Fragments

https://exviuswiki.com/Lunar_New_Year#Boss_Guide:_Great_Nian_Beast_.28ELT.29

dangerous.hotdog fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 28, 2017

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

First daily roll got me the Chocobro, Yun. Seems like the best reason to use him is for his TM on a beastly Firion in a month or so?? Does he do any real damage compared to the other 5* like Luneth or Gilgamesh?

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Pro solo'd

Elt Duo'd

Noctis on Ifrit, Refia on Carbuncle

Way I did it was to make sure his mag was always broken with Noctis thunder flask and warp break in between. Jumps were used to refill MP during the fight. On ELT Refia was there mostly for healing but was on carb for some bar spells. His damage is very manageable as long as you keep his mag debuffed since his AoE attacks are magic based and even more so if you have buffs up. Also when he preps don't use any types of magic or LBs. If one character dies I think he will spam bloodlust which boosts all or just atk/mag (not sure since on my first try with Ramza/Noctis it was after a prep) so that can quickly make things difficult. If you have a weak team stack up on def/hp and let a strong friend unit carry you. Basically just make your team there to heal and stay alive so bloodlust doesn't happen. For the Pro solo I had the blood sword equipped since drainer from that heals 8k x2 for when I got really low on hp. I freed up some friend slots if someone needs help 180,156,530.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Nian was super easy for my team. Cecil dual casting barfira + barthundara. Friend Noctis breaking MAG. Put Ifrit + flame mail + fire shield on team to boost fire resist, and jeweled ring on CoD to prevent her from getting paralyzed so she could use comeback. Got all the subquests in 1 run.

Not pulling on this banner, units don't seem very good to me. Saving my 25k lapis and my 122 tickets for the Thunder God!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Beat ELT with a team with 2 TMs

Lightning: 600 ATK w/Excalibur and Ifrit
Lightning: 500 ATK
Cecil: Barblizzara and BarFira + jeweled ring
Refia: Dualcast
Rain: Jeweled ring
Whale Noctis friend

It wasn't even optimal. I'd say 90% of the damage came from Lightning 1 and Noctis using raging fist. Lightning 2 just attacked because she didn't need to. Rain broke and cast Imperil and Deprotect, Cecil bar'd and curaja'd, and Refia dual cast curaja and dispelled paralyze. Dualcast was the big deal. Took at least 15 turns. Was never going to wipe as long as I didn't trigger tooth for a tooth or whatever, so just used raging fist over and over because of low mana cost and good damage.

If I had to do it over I'd dump the 2nd Lightning but not sure who I'd bring instead. A CoD would work but I don't have one. Maybe Butz to suicide and let whale Noctis spam flasks instead of fists. Rain was kind of a waste as all he was just there to break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Second rainbow crystal ever, aaaaaaand... Rosa pops out . :negative:

I did get Ling on the next pull, though. :toot:

• Locked thread