Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm pretty hyped for Dirt 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'm pretty hyped for Dirt 4

Haven't seen this yet. Is it going to be more like dirt rally or dirt 3? Because dirt rally is amazing, dirt 3 is a stinker

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Can't decide what I think of For Honor. The peer to peer connection is terrible, the fights are mostly emotionless, but every once in a while I have an awesome one with someone who knows how to play.

Mostly still a disappointment I guess.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ethanol posted:

Haven't seen this yet. Is it going to be more like dirt rally or dirt 3? Because dirt rally is amazing, dirt 3 is a stinker

Dirt thread has more info but here's a good copy/paste from there

njsykora posted:

First Dirt 4 blog, still calling it the road book which pleases me. More rallycross stuff, there'll be 2 more tracks as well as the RX2 class from FIA WRX and some Group B rallycross which apparently was a thing? Landrush aka the best thing in Dirt 2+3 is back which is truck and buggy racing on big jump tracks, and gymkhana Joyride, which will be skills challenges in the rally school which they're describing as 'donuts without the dudebro'.

PvP rally events will be doable online, so you'll be able to do real world style staggered starts down the stage, and will overtake slow cars and see cars that have wrecked. There will be 2 handling models, casual and simulation, one being more controller friendly Dirt 3 style and the other being straight up lifted from Dirt Rally with some refinements to aerodynamics, suspension, tires and damage so it seems they're leaning more in the sim direction rather than retreating from it. Like I said earlier the reputation DR got for being hard did them a lot of good.

Career mode will be a full Race Driver Grid style team management, hiring PR, engineers, sponsors etc which as a RD Grid fan is drat great news. There'll be an online career mode of sorts with rankings and ladders. Daily/Weekly/Monthly challenges will come back, but this time they'll all be using procedural stages, so people won't get to practice a stage for ages before doing the challenge. Leagues will be returning and you'll be able to generate stages for league use, plus there won't be any splitting of leaderboards and leagues between consoles this time, so we can have the Xbox and PS4 players in this thread in the same league as the PC crew. You can also do stage generation on the website so you can make sure stages are the kind of thing you want for a league before confirming anything.

Overall it seems like they're not quite making a sequel to Dirt 3, but a sequel to Dirt Rally with Landrush added in. Rally and Rallycross certainly seem to be overwhelmingly the focus, and I'm happy they're willing to drop Hillclimb rather than just have Pikes Peak as the only track again.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Can't decide what I think of For Honor. The peer to peer connection is terrible, the fights are mostly emotionless, but every once in a while I have an awesome one with someone who knows how to play.

Mostly still a disappointment I guess.

Couple of us decided For Honor 2 is gonna be amazing.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What even is MGS online in phantom pain?

Like do I get to battle cats and bust up their base and poo poo?

I still need to download that module apparently but that's on the back burner until I beat the campaign

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's a competitive multiplayer shooter with some stealth game modes like you'd expect. you aren't assaulting fobs or w/e; it's just a mix of normal game types in any shooter (tdm, conquest/domination) and some stealth oriented stuff that's unique (like the mode that starts one team with permanent invisibility and non lethal weapons and has them trying to steal intel from the other team that gets lethal weapons. if one guy on the attacking team gets shot, everyone loses cammo for a bit until you all get out of sight for a while)

there aren't battle cats but you do get little d-dog plushies that will stun players on the other team if they see them, kinda like the magazines in previous games. it has all of the normal metal gear items you'd expect, such as the cardboard box

e: also you can totally fulton people and it counts as a kill. I think you get extra points for it

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
More power to anyone enjoying For Honor but it just doesn't feel good to me. (And to the person who said it above, I did bother to learn and practice advanced stuff. It just doesn't feel right to me.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Still in search for it? Got only 1 left.

Nah I got one thanks :)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Why did From Soft have to change heal buttons between Bloodborne and DS3. I've been jumping between the 2 and the buttons clash non stop between them.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I'm updating my launch PS4 tomorrow to a new unit. I was going to buy a Pro; I don't currently own a 4k TV, but I know I will eventually and I'd likely want the Pro then, plus it's just $100 more so why not get the "best" version, right?

Is there still an issue with games running worse on the Pro on 1080 televisions, or was that ironed out? Googling just gets me loads of articles from November about it. I'm seeing some stuff like The Last Guardian just flat runs better on a Pro versus a regular one, so is it just on a game by game basis?

I was thinking of replaying The Last of Us, I remember that being one of the culprits of running worse on a Pro, which is what made me think of this in the first place. Did those games get patched to run normally on a PS4 Pro on a regular HDTV or is this a problem you guys and gals are dealing with?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rotaryfun posted:

Why did From Soft have to change heal buttons between Bloodborne and DS3. I've been jumping between the 2 and the buttons clash non stop between them.

In BB you have a dedicated heal button, for fast use. The use item button is the same as all the souls games. In DS3 they instead go back to having flask be a normal item, although you can hold down on d-pad to jump to it which is great.

It shouldn't really be that confusing since its still the use item button.

Much more confusing is jumping back and forth between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, since everything is the opposite of souls controls. O to pick up items, X to dodge, square and triangle to attack instead of shoulders... yeh.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

I'm updating my launch PS4 tomorrow to a new unit. I was going to buy a Pro; I don't currently own a 4k TV, but I know I will eventually and I'd likely want the Pro then, plus it's just $100 more so why not get the "best" version, right?

Is there still an issue with games running worse on the Pro on 1080 televisions, or was that ironed out? Googling just gets me loads of articles from November about it. I'm seeing some stuff like The Last Guardian just flat runs better on a Pro versus a regular one, so is it just on a game by game basis?

I was thinking of replaying The Last of Us, I remember that being one of the culprits of running worse on a Pro, which is what made me think of this in the first place. Did those games get patched to run normally on a PS4 Pro on a regular HDTV or is this a problem you guys and gals are dealing with?

It's on a game by game basis. Some dev's hosed up the Pro patches for some games. I assume it's been fixed now, but I don't know.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just get a pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Just get a pro.

You hosed up big time not making that the thread title:

"PS4-Buy a Pro, this is the name of the 2TB drive"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Was hoping people would read my in-depth OP, at the very least

I was hoping we covered all the bases but here we are with clockwork pro chat, 4K TV, I don't like uncharted 4, something something bloodborne/dark souls :dogge:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Redbox'd RE7 and god drat this game is hilarious. Weird and horrifying, but also hilarious. I'm currently getting my rear end kicked by a redneck in a ripped up car in a garage.

Nothing has made me laugh harder than the part where (early game spoilers, like opening mission-esque)I get my loving hand chopped off via chainsaw, and I'm hauling rear end away from this crazy bitch, I hit the heal button and it just says "You don't need that right now" while I'm spurting blood from a stump.:lol:

I can't even begin to fathom how this poo poo would work with VR unless I wanted to vomit all over my living room.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 7 is like half Evil Dead and half Evil Dead 2, it's great.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't even begin to fathom how this poo poo would work with VR unless I wanted to vomit all over my living room.

They use all the "comfort option" tricks to make sure almost no one gets sick, though thankfully you can turn those off once you have your sea/VR legs.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Sakurazuka posted:

It really is, it's very good.

ethanol posted:

I haven't seen a whisper of Gymkata or drift events which is fine by me.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

so its Evil Dead 2

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I've played on PC for the 2 previous For Honor alpha/beta tests, but tried PS4 for the current one and the netcode seems fine to me on the PS4, whereas every game in the previous tests it was either laggy as hell or the host would disconnect etc.

I'm in the UK and every time I've lost a fight it's because I hosed up, not because of lag or netcode, stuff like countering guard breaks all works fine, and I've been playing the new assassin style character that relies on dodging into attacks to counter with no real issues, just had to learn the timings on the other guys attacks.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Hey guys dumb question. I upgraded my PS4 HDD to a hybrid drive. If I bought a PS4 pro can I just pop the hybrid drive out and put it into the pro model and it will just work? Or do I have to go through the whole back up and restore process?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was hoping people would read my in-depth OP, at the very least

I was hoping we covered all the bases but here we are with clockwork pro chat, 4K TV, I don't like uncharted 4, something something bloodborne/dark souls :dogge:

If it helps, I did google and check the OP before posting, was just wondering how that stuff shook out :shobon:

Also BB is better than Uncharted, hth

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

Dirt Rally wasn't out that long ago, there's no way Dirt 4 isn't built on top of Rally in a big way, Codemasters just aren't big enough to have had both on the go at the same time as separate games.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hey guys dumb question. I upgraded my PS4 HDD to a hybrid drive. If I bought a PS4 pro can I just pop the hybrid drive out and put it into the pro model and it will just work? Or do I have to go through the whole back up and restore process?

Backup and restore time, the drives are encrypted with the console's unique key.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

exploded mummy posted:

so its Evil Dead 2

No it's definitely a lot of Evil Dead 1 as well. RE7 isn't a comedy, its horror and grindhouse with some very Sam Rami trappings.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Much more confusing is jumping back and forth between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, since everything is the opposite of souls controls. O to pick up items, X to dodge, square and triangle to attack instead of shoulders... yeh.

One of several reasons why I almost always play one game at a time.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a control scheme that makes Nioh pretty close to Dark Souls. Or there was in the beta, anyway.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Akuma posted:

There's a control scheme that makes Nioh pretty close to Dark Souls. Or there was in the beta, anyway.

Yeah but the game's design is significantly different enough that I found the default was more comfortable. That'd help with the X and O stuff though I guess yeah.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but the game's design is significantly different enough that I found the default was more comfortable. That'd help with the X and O stuff though I guess yeah.
Yeah that was the key bit for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still don't understand why in 2017 most console games lack proper button customization. You can rebind everything on a Fifa or PES game so I don't know what excuse the other devs have.

Coming from mostly pc gaming it is really annoying.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I still don't understand why in 2017 most console games lack proper button customization. You can rebind everything on a Fifa or PES game so I don't know what excuse the other devs have.

the console can remap so the devs probably say gently caress it to fixing the button prompts and making the menus or maybe they worry an idiot will rebind things and think the game is broken

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Yeah it really is annoying. Its just laziness since console has always been able to get away with that, while on PC your'e expected to so nobody gets away with it.

The real answer is testing. It costs a lot more to test all the possible button configs, and you have to. If its hard-bound or there's only 2 'schemes', you just test that both of those work. Otherwise you gotta test the whole system, every button combination possible pretty much.

Real hurthling! posted:

the console can remap so the devs probably say gently caress it to fixing the button prompts and making the menus or maybe they worry an idiot will rebind things and think the game is broken

Also this, but unless I'm wrong PS4 can't do per-game button mapping so its still a huge pain in the rear end.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm sure that an idiot that doesn't know how to bind stuff will think the game is broken for any other thing.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What's the opinion on the ps2 on ps4 series? Do these games look any better or should I just find the old discs and run an emulator on the pc?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

The real answer is testing. It costs a lot more to test all the possible button configs, and you have to. If its hard-bound or there's only 2 'schemes', you just test that both of those work. Otherwise you gotta test the whole system, every button combination possible pretty much.
Testing is only part of the reason, the rest is implementation time and the total cost in the face of few people ever rebinding controls or changing control schemes. Most people don't give a poo poo, so why spend the money?

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the opinion on the ps2 on ps4 series? Do these games look any better or should I just find the old discs and run an emulator on the pc?
They do look better but you can get pretty much the same effect using an emulator.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Kingtheninja posted:

they look great and some of them run a lot better. limited selection though

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

They run great and emulating PS2 games on PC is still kind of hit and miss, most work but but to what degree is variable. But yeah, there's only like 20 or so though, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I never beat Wild Arms 3 when it was first released, maybe I should get that