Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
haha what the gently caress is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

TTerrible posted:

How big is your backlog.

I don't have one. I haven't built a gunpla in almost two years because I don't really have space right now

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That's good to know. Break the cycle, friend-o.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TTerrible posted:

haha what the gently caress is that?

New Tzeentch model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tzeentch-Arcanites-Magister

It's slightly less ridiculous from a better angle but I love how they chose that for their glamor shot.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Loincloth covers the inevitable square rear end.

They're learning.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TTerrible posted:

Gundam is just the sacred cow that noone can ever criticise because ITS GOOD
Correct.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

New Tzeentch model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tzeentch-Arcanites-Magister

It's slightly less ridiculous from a better angle but I love how they chose that for their glamor shot.
It's actually an old Tzeentch model.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Well that explains why he's "only" $15.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

They pick the worst poses and angles for their photography. Even when GW does put out good models, they photograph them from the worst angle, or give them a paintjob that makes them impossible to parse visually

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Getting back to Firefight, as was mentioned you can basically build a decent Forge Fathers or Enforcers army already just from buying kits already released for Deadzone. You'll just be lacking the larger vehicles until they come to retail in April or this summer. You can probably also make a Veer-myn or Plague force, but Marauders and Asterians are going to be a bit trickier until their Warpath kits come out. The Asterians do have Warpath kits coming and they were included in the Kickstarter, but the Marauders do not and the suspicion is that they will get a Kickstarter of their own later this year along with the Rebels faction.

There appear to be about 5 different tiers of quality in the figures.

At the very top you have the new hard plastic kits. I think the goal is for every faction to have 1-2 core units in hard plastic. These are easily as good if not better than comparable kits GW currently produces. They've got options, ball joints, minimal mold lines, and basically no excess flash. I've worked with the hard plastic kits for the Forge Father Steel Warriors and Iron Guard, the Enforcer troops and Pathfinders, and the Asterian Marionettes and I have nothing negative to say about any of them beyond basic modeling complaints (getting two ball jointed arms to line up with a free gun can be a bit tricky).

Below that you have the "good" restic figures. Basically these figures are alright. They might get bent in shipping, but dunking them in hot water causes them to reset to their original positions. They have flash and mold lines, but they aren't that bad and they clean up well enough. The issue with these is that you get exactly as many parts as you have models, so you don't get to pick and choose. Some examples of these are the Forge Father Brokkrs and the Asterian Cyphers.

Then there are the good metal figures. These are your standard white metal and everyone should basically be familiar with them.

There are also "bad restic" figures. These have a different formula and are lighter in color to the good restic. They are a bitch to work with but look to be getting phased out. The mold lines and flash are really tough to cut away and they don't fit together that greatly. The Forge Father Jotuun appears to be made out of this material. It's very flexible and almost rubbery.

Perhaps equally as bad as the bad restic figures are the poorly designed metal figures. It might not be fair to call this a tier since it's really just bad sculpts made of the same material as the "good metal". At least with bad restic you can still hack it apart easily enough to get the result you want, but when a model is basically a solid chunk of metal there's not much you can do to fix it. The Asterian Kalyshi fall into this category.

Photos:
Hard plastic Marionettes with support drones and various options and poses

"Good restic" Cyphers

It's not a great photo, but you should be able to note that they have significantly less detail than the hard plastic Marionettes above.

Combination hard plastic and good metal Hammerfist Dropteam Leader

Bad Metal Kalyshi

Unfortunately I spray painted my bad restic Jotuun so you can't see the material

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
I like the forge father's because the ones in power armor are adorable

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

gently caress Whitey posted:

I like the forge father's because the ones in power armor are adorable

There's also a unit of them that arrive in battle by being fired out of cannons from space. Besides being awesome on its own account, I kind of feel like this was also a way to make the oft-complained about 40k marine drop pod armies look like a bunch of sissies. Which I approve of.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Attack on Titan is bad

I like the animation but yeaaaaaaah

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i ordered a skulldam kit

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Avenging Dentist posted:

Oh god I'm tipping. I'm tipping oveerrrrrrrrrrr
                                                                                /

The face I make when I see how much a GW kit costs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

i ordered a skulldam kit

That was a good choice

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Sir Teabag posted:

Has anyone read Attack on Titan? If they ever make a season two are there going to be giant robots in it?

Or are Titans the fantasy equivalent of Gundams, and thus there will be no added robots?

Inquiring minds want to know.

There are no robots I am sorry.

Attack on Titan is bad

It gets worse.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The red one I posted retails for 25 dollars. the green one for 12. If you pay 200 dollars for a Gundam model, you get this

Is this even from one of the cartoons/manga or are they just making random insane poo poo at this point?

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

It's a gundam space dreadknight.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
cool knights of sidonia model

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bombogenesis posted:

Is this even from one of the cartoons/manga or are they just making random insane poo poo at this point?

It's from one of the mini-series.

Oh no, trap sprung.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's from one of the mini-series.

Oh no, trap sprung.

You already have what I assume is a Jojo avatar, so that trap has long since past.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bombogenesis posted:

That design is circa the blue and red Citadel miniature catalogs, it's over 20 years old.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Bombogenesis posted:

There are no robots I am sorry.

It gets worse.

It's the Dendrobium from 0083. It's basically a giant rear end booster for a Gundam and in the Super Robot Wars games is practically a mainstay for easy mode in any installment it appears. Kit wise it and this newer one called the Neo Zeong are like prestige kits for nutso people. But only like 200 bucks ish as opposed to Forge World Titan prices. The Gunpla thread I linked a few pages back has a Zoids kit in a similar size. The box is so huge a small dog can comfortably make a fort out of it. :3:

And Gundam is anime so yes it's got random and insane poo poo in it. Also some Gundam does better grimdark than 40k. Though a recent series has a plot point being there were a class of people who were basically used as food if you want some hosed up poo poo. Like there are real life caste system poo poo that ruins people's lives and chances for generations in Japan and India amongst others. They basically made an analog in the show but gave it a side order of cannibalism. :psyduck:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I went to a local import shoppe and asked the guy running it about ordering a gundarn and he was extremely weird

shall not go back there again

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bombogenesis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZZqrg50rYs

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Moola posted:

I went to a local import shoppe and asked the guy running it about ordering a gundarn and he was extremely weird

He as probably trying to figure out which narcotic Gundam was a euphemism for

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Rufus posted:

And Gundam is anime so yes it's got random and insane poo poo in it. Also some Gundam does better grimdark than 40k. Though a recent series has a plot point being there were a class of people who were basically used as food if you want some hosed up poo poo. Like there are real life caste system poo poo that ruins people's lives and chances for generations in Japan and India amongst others. They basically made an analog in the show but gave it a side order of cannibalism. :psyduck:

That was really cool. The story was that hundreds of years before the show began, things were so poo poo that there was actually an organized system of cannibalism. Some people were just OK to eat because there was so little food. In the show itself, the crisis is centuries in the past, nobody gets eaten anymore, but the descendants were still discriminated against. It was a direct allegory for the Burakumin in modern Japan. The discrimination was subtle too, not the typical over the top sci-fi "I don't like him because the left side of his face is black, he's not as good as us left siders!" bigotry metaphor

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Armoured suit on hosed up bird/lion.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

Just use amazon. Or fly to Japan. You can get gundams in 7-11s.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i used anazon because it was cheaper and he was weird

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Irate Tree posted:

Nice Choccobo.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Captain Rufus posted:

It's the Dendrobium from 0083. It's basically a giant rear end booster for a Gundam and in the Super Robot Wars games is practically a mainstay for easy mode in any installment it appears. Kit wise it and this newer one called the Neo Zeong are like prestige kits for nutso people. But only like 200 bucks ish as opposed to Forge World Titan prices. The Gunpla thread I linked a few pages back has a Zoids kit in a similar size. The box is so huge a small dog can comfortably make a fort out of it. :3:

Neo Zeong is three hundred plus shipping

Ask me how I know

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Irate Tree posted:

I'm pretty sure that thing it's riding is actually designed by Tzeentch.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Irate Tree posted:

Six legs, two arms, two heads, two tails, one orb. Four heads if you count the helmet and the sigmobo's chestplate.

The orb is basically a radar, right? Is this some kind of land-based magic animal jet fighter? Because that's what the radar orb makes me think of.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can understand the impulse to give a Sigmar thing two tails, but it really looks Chaosy.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
someone explain to me why all the stormcast guns have those big stupid protrusions on the end. they clearly arent crossbows, theres nowhere for a string run. are they some kind of retention device if a bloodshitter tries to grab the barrel?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

It's the Dendrobium from 0083. It's basically a giant rear end booster for a Gundam and in the Super Robot Wars games is practically a mainstay for easy mode in any installment it appears. Kit wise it and this newer one called the Neo Zeong are like prestige kits for nutso people.

:aaaaa:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I kinda like the demigryph thing, but boy howdy is that an ugly sigmarine. Too bad it probably costs like 30 bucks for a single model. Guess I'm waiting on recasters.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Terrible Opinions posted:

I kinda like the demigryph thing, but boy howdy is that an ugly sigmarine. Too bad it probably costs like 30 bucks for a single model. Guess I'm waiting on recasters.

The sigmarine riding the similarly sized dragon dog is $110 dollarydoos, so I expect the sigmarine on demigryph will also cost $110 dollarydoos, or maybe more, since the demigryph is a little bigger

Also, I went to look and see if it was already on sale, and using the filters there are 8 different sigmarine units, and 11 different sigmarine heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'm confused by that price point. The star drake which is much bigger costs 140 freedom bucks and the similarly sized dragon dogs cost 65 for two. Still grotesquely overpriced, nowhere near 110 for a single cavalry model.

• Locked thread