Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Good news: If you transfer one character, all the legacy unlocks go with 'em. I can specifically confirm getting HK-51 on multiple servers that way. And transfers are still deeply discounted last I heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Medullah posted:

Also holy crap they officially announced a new operation.

wonder if this means all the zakuulian old gods are actually just super droids from iokath

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

M_Sinistrari posted:

Update on my HK-51 parts hunt saga.

After 18 hours cumulative of searching Taris to where if I could skin Cathar, I could've completely carpeted both guild strongholds in Cathar rugs and managed almost 1 mil in crap vendored, finally found the HK part. Naturally it was no where near where the reported co-ordinates were. This made the 2 hours of Jedi Temple scanning seem a breeze, and it also wasn't anywhere near the reported co-ords were. Surprisingly I did find a group doing the DK part so that was only an hour and am now on Hoth. I did some searching but will pick it up tomorrow. As I was thinking that after I get this all done, it'll be the best account unlock I'll have paid for but it turns out he's only a Legacy unlock so I'm going to have to repeat all this over on Harbinger for my characters there. :argh: :bang:

gently caress that noise, spend the 90cc to transfer a character over to Harbinger and merge your legacies. Then it's just a million a character to unlock.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Medullah posted:

gently caress that noise, spend the 90cc to transfer a character over to Harbinger and merge your legacies. Then it's just a million a character to unlock.

I admit that thought did cross my mind for a few seconds, but was thinking that would be some crazy grognard kinda thing to do...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

I admit that thought did cross my mind for a few seconds, but was thinking that would be some crazy grognard kinda thing to do...

Nah, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I transferred characters out to Harbinger, POT5, and Shadowlands to have my legacy there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Nah, it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I transferred characters out to Harbinger, POT5, and Shadowlands to have my legacy there.

So it's doable to transfer a character to Harb, then transfer that character back to Jedi Covenant?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

So it's doable to transfer a character to Harb, then transfer that character back to Jedi Covenant?

180cc. You have to wait 2 days between transfers though.

Non-Entity, please tell me this tank was inspired by the Thundercats one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Hmm..spend an amount of cc that's less than what I've spend on Market pets to avoid the grief of another parts hunt...well, consider me sold.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Hmm..spend an amount of cc that's less than what I've spend on Market pets to avoid the grief of another parts hunt...well, consider me sold.

And of course, don't forget you get one free transfer from a referral link if you haven't used one yet. :D

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

And of course, don't forget you get one free transfer from a referral link if you haven't used one yet. :D

I know I clicked your referal link a while back, don't know if it'll let me do it again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

I know I clicked your referal link a while back, don't know if it'll let me do it again.

Yeah only one free transfer for lifetime of account.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah only one free transfer for lifetime of account.

Is there an expiration date on those transfers since I never used one?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

Notes on this:

180 is the cost for a "round trip." The cost is trivial right now. I think it comes out to around 75 cents one way.

I don't think the 2-day wait is actually true. I don't think there's a cooldown on it at all. I've done the double-transfer thing a few times while this promotion was going on (mostly for extremely cheap name changes) and I've always been able to move the character back pretty much immediately. Like I spent a few minutes messing around with their inventory and stuff in between, but as soon as I tried it it worked fine. Could have been a glitch?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Is there an expiration date on those transfers since I never used one?

I don't believe so, go try and do a transfer and it should say you have a free one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Medullah posted:

I don't believe so, go try and do a transfer and it should say you have a free one.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and post what happens here.

Anyway, the search is over. I have my HK. :rock:

All in all, over the course of four days, it took:
18 hours cumulative of searching onTaris
2 hours of scanning the Jedi Temple
1 hour on DK which would've been longer had I not lucked out and bumped into a group searching too
2.5ish hours on Hoth
2-3 hours on the assorted flashpoints/heroics
and I also ended up with:
gaining 2 GC levels, got a set piece from a crate
racking up a few credits shy of 2 million from vendoring greys/blues/greens from the various mobs

The assorted information from Dulfy and other sites was still mostly relevant considering the changes from when the HK quest went live to how it is now along with not many people doing it anymore. I would agree with the advice I was given here of starting scanning in the areas where co-ordinates have been posted and working outwards from that and suggest for anyone giving the quest a go to really be patient and don't get flustered if the suggested area doesn't pan out as 3 of the parts popped for me in spots nowhere near where the co-ords suggested. For anyone antsy about heading into the Outlaw's Den on Tatooine for the part there, I drove in because I'm too much of a cheap bitch to buy the legacy travel for it and the area was absolutely dead. I seriously think I could've stripped my Inquisitor naked and danced all the way to the Jawa with the part and danced all the way back out and not bump into anyone.

Scanning was pretty much the only mind-numbingly tedious bit especially since unlike other scanner types in game this one's more like a 'getting warmer...getting colder...getting hot' than throwing you a bone with pointing out a direction, and I strongly agree with the advice given about knowing the scan circle radius to help speed it somewhat along. Because I'm not sure how the engine physics worked with the scanner, I started landmarking the radius. As the circle reaches it's maximum distance, see what landmarks are within the circle like a bit of wall, a rock or a standout patch of grass and use that as a reference for the next scan pass. You will overlap some, but I feel it's better to overlap than miss a spot.

From what I read around, everything was saying the last heroic part was going to be challenging. I don't know if it's from changes made since the quest went live or tearing through it at level 70 instead of the I think 50 that was the cap at the time, but it was quick and easy and that's even with having a 20lb maine coon mix cat deciding he needed to sprawl on my arms while fighting the few mobs that were present.

At this point I'd say it was at least worth it to do the quest once especially since it's soloable and just shell out the credits/coins for any other unlocks.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Gratz man! Unfortunate that you missed out on his heyday where he had some wicked DPS, but it's still a nice little quest to accomplish.

Now I'm thinking back to all the credits I made selling high end droid parts to all the HK fans. :(

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I logged on tonight for the first time in a while. Where is everyone?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Medullah posted:

Gratz man! Unfortunate that you missed out on his heyday where he had some wicked DPS, but it's still a nice little quest to accomplish.
HK-51's still a great companion to have. Admittedly you can eventually get HK-55, but he's a little too chipper for my liking - I prefer 51's more menacing attitude, and have grown rather fond of the understated term "undesirables".

ahy ess dee eph
Mar 10, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Most Vet players left due to the Galactic Command / Command XP system implemented with 5.0

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I came back to play KotET and the new uprisings but have no desire to grind them infinitely for gear I don't need.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Nipponophile posted:

Spending more time poring over tor fashion trying to find A Look for my sniper than actually playing the game.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sombrerotron posted:

HK-51's still a great companion to have. Admittedly you can eventually get HK-55, but he's a little too chipper for my liking - I prefer 51's more menacing attitude, and have grown rather fond of the understated term "undesirables".

Losing HK-55 finally got me to finish off the HK-51 questline. Who knew what my Consular really needed was an Imperial murderbot?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Oh you AND Place coming back at the same time! How joyous!

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Just did the transfer thing for my HK unlock. Considering the free transfer I had from clicking Medullah's link had to be at least a year old, it was still good. And as far as transfer wait time, the site page does state a 72 hour wait period, but I was able to transfer the character back in under a minute.

So, 90cc cost for avoiding another HK saga...priceless.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

M_Sinistrari posted:

Just did the transfer thing for my HK unlock. Considering the free transfer I had from clicking Medullah's link had to be at least a year old, it was still good. And as far as transfer wait time, the site page does state a 72 hour wait period, but I was able to transfer the character back in under a minute.

So, 90cc cost for avoiding another HK saga...priceless.

See, always listen to old man Medullah, I know what's best for you.

On a side note, why do I let myself get into arguments in general chat? Some guy was arguing why Madness was a far better PvP spec than any burst spec because "You do so much more damage with DoT spread". I argued "Yeah, but you have a much harder time killing someone when it counts, like, to cap an objective or in an arena" The reply "That doesn't matter, what's important is doing as much damage as possible in a warzone"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Getting a big number at the end gives my soft, lovely body the dopamine it so dearly craves. What do you mean, "but we lost"?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Hey nonentity, d'you think you could make some more headwear like Saul Karath's hat?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sombrerotron posted:

Hey nonentity, d'you think you could make some more headwear like Saul Karath's hat?

Our Creator doesn't do armor, so only if you want a Saul Karath hat-gun.

Wait. I do want that.

So something I find funny with the new stream - the new daily area allows you to ally yourself with either the Republic, or the Empire, and supposedly will allow cross faction grouping based on your choice. You also get a new companion based on your choice - which means everyone will be on the Republic side, because the choices are Elara Dorne or Malavai Quinn

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I like quinn:smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Your opinion is wrong. Sorry.

On the subject of hat-guns, I really wish we could just embrace our silliness and get a stick "lightsaber" and stick "gun". Or an invisible gun that makes "PEW PEW" noises.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Medullah posted:

Wait. I do want that.

So something I find funny with the new stream - the new daily area allows you to ally yourself with either the Republic, or the Empire, and supposedly will allow cross faction grouping based on your choice. You also get a new companion based on your choice - which means everyone will be on the Republic side, because the choices are Elara Dorne or Malavai Quinn

Yeah but do you get to eventually kill Quinn if you first side with the Empire?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

Or an invisible gun that makes "PEW PEW" noises.

I've had that happen before but I can't figure out exactly what causes it

The best is when it happens in cutscenes.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've had that happen before but I can't figure out exactly what causes it

The best is when it happens in cutscenes.

Usually happens when you interact with a destroyable object and go into combat immediately before you holster.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

You're not the only one.

To be honest, it would absolutely crack me up if it turns out the only way to kill him off means you have to side with the Republic. The wailing and gnashing of teeth on the SWTOR forums would be amazing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Medullah posted:

Your opinion is wrong. Sorry.

On the subject of hat-guns, I really wish we could just embrace our silliness and get a stick "lightsaber" and stick "gun". Or an invisible gun that makes "PEW PEW" noises.

Why? He's the perfect Imperial companion. Stuffy, obnoxiously british, more than a bit racist, and easily trolled to hell by Mission Vao 2.0. You even get to beat the crap out of him for it!

Plus every good Sith needs their expendable officer to vent on. You're basically playing as Darth Vader for fucks sakes. Who else are you going to choke out for their incompetence and treachery?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Medullah posted:

Well maybe he (she?) can pull some strings and get someone else to do it then!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
That stream stuff reminds me, when they add in Vector they really need to add an optional Joiner eye type customization. I want freaky bug black eyes on my sniper.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Archonex posted:

Why? He's the perfect Imperial companion. Stuffy, obnoxiously british, more than a bit racist, and easily trolled to hell by Mission Vao 2.0. You even get to beat the crap out of him for it!

Plus every good Sith needs their expendable officer to vent on. You're basically playing as Darth Vader for fucks sakes. Who else are you going to choke out for their incompetence and treachery?

And that's the problem. He's not expendable. You should have been able to kill him, but instead it's "Well don't do that again, please".

I actually really liked him too until the betrayal. He is a good Imperial officer. But then it turns and... Well, gently caress Quinn.

Maybe they'll find a way to make him redeemed.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Medullah posted:

And that's the problem. He's not expendable. You should have been able to kill him, but instead it's "Well don't do that again, please".

I actually really liked him too until the betrayal. He is a good Imperial officer. But then it turns and... Well, gently caress Quinn.

Maybe they'll find a way to make him redeemed.

I still think the old fan theory on how to handle that was the best. If you kill him you get a replacement imperial officer that's slightly more nervous and obsequious than he is. If you force choke him to death for whatever reason you get one that's even more nervous and sycophantic. If you kill that guy too then you get a total nervous basket case who can barely even make a simple report to you without making GBS threads his pants in terror because he knows that you basically eat people like him for breakfast.

Basically just run through an increasingly generic and nervous list of imperial officers Vader style to highlight how hosed the dark side end of the Imperial military is.

Though apparently if you romance Quinn he's outright begging you to do it when you figure out what his game is. From the cinematics i've seen he basically does a complete 180 on being such an rear end in a top hat too. Unless you decide to run his face along the bulkheads for a few minutes as punishment. In which case he acts like you did him a "favor" by hurting him while sparing him. Which is all kinds of messed up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Archonex posted:

That's why I like him too. I enjoy the smarmy british imperial officer archetype and he embodies it extremely well. The next closest thing is...I dunno, Talos maybe? Lokin? Or Dorne I guess, now that we're getting away from factions entirely.

Medullah's got a point though, but I get around it by not thinking about it

• Locked thread