Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Looks like you 2016 husky 701 SM owners can get a power commander now if riding with no baffle is your thing.

Edit: I see their installation manual PDF says it's for the 2017 701 SM, probably a mistake.

The 2016 model probably fits the 2017 though, as the 2015 and '16 690 Duke PCV models are identical. Furthermore, the only difference between the '16 701 and 690 models is that for some reason Husky saw fit the swap the polarity of the injector leads.

What I don't get is that one of their maps is 'stock exhaust, original or modified airbox' and the other is 'Wings exhaust and airbox'. I know the guy whose bike they did the development on was mapped first with only the exhaust, and then exhaust + airbox. And that the airbox is the restrictive factor on these bikes, I doubt even an unbaffled exhaust would require remapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/5897110884.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/mcy/5932270175.html

Are any glaring issues or things to consider with any of these?

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
The underglow kit on the Corvallis one, jfc

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Of those three, I like this one. https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Agreed. From the other thread:

Coydog posted:

The WRx is worth it over the DRZ, hands down. Of those listed, this is the one you want:
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/mcy/5907772441.html

It has everything you will progressively want anyway, and is intelligently modified. I can see why they WANT $4900, and with all that it's certainly worth it. That said, none of the other craigslist idiots want to pay that, so neither should you. Try $4200. With the tubliss dirt wheels included, you'd steal it at $4000.

edit: Also go into it with the realization that he has been getting $2900 low balls for the past 21 days. Be nice, show that you actually know what a WR250x is and why it's not a WR250F, and they will likely be very willing to give you a good price.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

Agreed. From the other thread:

:respek:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

WR bois :angel:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is why supermotos are awesome:

Met some friends in the mountains today for some twisty riding, but they called it off due to cops and traffic. Instead, they suggested we go off roading. Even though it's rained up there the last couple days, and I have PR3 tires, I was 100% in for some poor decisions.

While this photo doesn't show it, we did mostly hilly narrow trails that were more challenging than anything I've ever done. Not super technical, but lot's of rutting, surprise rock patches, roots, mud, and generally very little traction. I put the 690 in "slow" mode before we hit the trails, and was stunned at how well it handled everything. I never went down, and plowed forward wherever I wanted, no matter how crazy it got.

Consider me shocked to my very core. I cannot wait to do it again.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Coydog posted:

This is why supermotos are awesome:

Met some friends in the mountains today for some twisty riding, but they called it off due to cops and traffic. Instead, they suggested we go off roading. Even though it's rained up there the last couple days, and I have PR3 tires, I was 100% in for some poor decisions.

While this photo doesn't show it, we did mostly hilly narrow trails that were more challenging than anything I've ever done. Not super technical, but lot's of rutting, surprise rock patches, roots, mud, and generally very little traction. I put the 690 in "slow" mode before we hit the trails, and was stunned at how well it handled everything. I never went down, and plowed forward wherever I wanted, no matter how crazy it got.

Consider me shocked to my very core. I cannot wait to do it again.

Is that part of a pool noodle on that middle moto?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

JB50 posted:

Is that part of a pool noodle on that middle moto?

May all of your valvestems leak, and your chains rust. My tool tube owns, and KTM provided me with no good options.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Oh god it is a pool noodle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Husky 701 owners: there'll be a tuning kit for the '17 701 released this month. It includes a new airbox, exhaust, tuning, emissions equipment removal. Part no. 27012945000. Don't know how the airbox is different from the stock one, my hunch is it just doesn't include openings for the emissions hoses. The air filter cover is different too, but it looks like it's the same one that's been a 690 power part for ages.

At ~850 bucks it's relatively cheap, cheaper than just the exhaust (which is identical to the one in the kit) for the 2016 model.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

High Protein posted:

Husky 701 owners: there'll be a tuning kit for the '17 701 released this month. It includes a new airbox, exhaust, tuning, emissions equipment removal. Part no. 27012945000. Don't know how the airbox is different from the stock one, my hunch is it just doesn't include openings for the emissions hoses. The air filter cover is different too, but it looks like it's the same one that's been a 690 power part for ages.

At ~850 bucks it's relatively cheap, cheaper than just the exhaust (which is identical to the one in the kit) for the 2016 model.

Hopefully we'll be able to get kits without exhaust since I'm sure everyone bought the cheaper Wings one any way.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Hopefully we'll be able to get kits without exhaust since I'm sure everyone bought the cheaper Wings one any way.

Well provided the airbox changes are minimal you can just chuck on the ~$30 power parts airbox lid and have a dealer perform the mapping. Get some random emissions block-off kit. Really the fact that there's a mapping now is the big win.

If you don't have an exhaust yet, though, I don't think the price of the kit is that high, plus the Akra it comes with has European certification.

Edit: Also, there was just a power commander released for the '16 models as well. Downloadable map for Wings + PP airbox cover. Should fit on the '17 but nobody's tried it of course.

High Protein fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 3, 2017

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Nice. I'll call my dealer later this month.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

High Protein posted:

Is this compatible with the 2016 701sm engine?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Is this compatible with the 2016 701sm engine?

As far as I know, no. I saw the kit advertised as being for 2017 bikes, and the 2016 model has a completely different ECU. However, it would be best to ask your dealer; I've only seen the kit in a single web shop here so there isn't much info on it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
What jet kit should I get for my DRZ400SM? Has a Yoshimura slip-on and K&N filter right now, and I'll probably do the 3x3 mod.

I'm going to tear the whole loving thing apart at once and refresh everything so I might as well do jet kit while I have the carb apart.

edit: anything else out of the ordinary I should do for a bike that only has 7k miles but has sat a ton for the last five years or so?

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 22, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do the JD over the dynojet

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I saw the following post on ADVRider about someone calling powercommander asking if the current PCV for the '16 Husky 701 works with the '17 model, and they said yes.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2016-husqvarna-701-super-moto-and-enduro.1086621/page-451#post-31355061

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do the JD over the dynojet

Awesome, thanks for the rec.

So far I have:

JD jet kit
Carb rebuild kit - I know this will duplicate some parts with the jet kit, but it was the only way to get the other pieces.
Petcock rebuild kit
oil change stuff
speed bleeders, ATE fluid
coolant

I'm going to get new pads & stainless brake lines as part of the brake overhaul, and it's still on the original Scorpion Trail's so I'll get a set of PR4s.

Anything else that would be good to address while the bike is torn apart?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I don't know if you already have your brake lines picked out but I have had really good experiences with HEL, and after a couple custom orders they started rounding my prices down.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I just came home from the annual swedish bike fair, and if you'd asked me what jap brand would be first on the "real" motard train, I sure as hell wouldn't have guessed Honda!

Full LED lightning, 320 mm front disc with a 4-pot radial Brembo, electric starter. Street legal, curb weight 109 kg (240 lbs). :getin:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yerok posted:

I don't know if you already have your brake lines picked out but I have had really good experiences with HEL, and after a couple custom orders they started rounding my prices down.

I really like HEL lines too, have them on my FZ1. Excellent fitment, well put together, easy install

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

how are the service intervals? Tarding a CR450* for the street supposedly translates to "I hope you like replacing your top end frequently"

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yerok posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go with those. Price-wise they work out very competitively and being able to get all-black non-bling ones is a huge plus.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 27, 2017

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Petcock rebuild kit

Your list looks good overall. Regarding the petcock -- I'd look into simply getting a complete replacement petcock. The stock vacuum petcocks are notoriously fickle. Getting a manual one will save you headache down the road. I used the Raptor petcock. It ends up being a little tight space wise (it'd be difficult to switch to reserve while on moving without having practiced reaching down to turn it), but it definitely works.

I'd also recommend doing the extended fuel mixture screw upgrade. It's a really nice quality of life upgrade for tuning things, especially after doing the 3x3 and re-jetting procedure.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go with those. Price-wise they work out very competitively and being able to get all-black non-bling ones is a huge plus.

Heh, all my HEL lines are the same color of purple regardless of the color of the rest of the bike. When my DRZ still had the Mikuni carb I had a Kientech extended fuel screw. After I switched to an FCR I started using one of the R&D remote screws and it is the coolest loving thing ever.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the r&d flexjet owns. I have never had a bike with as many cool carb options as the DRZ

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Jazzzzz posted:

how are the service intervals? Tarding a CR450* for the street supposedly translates to "I hope you like replacing your top end frequently"

Not sure specifically on the CRF's, but my 2016 KTM 350SXF (i.e. the race bike / motocross version, not the enduro version with all the lights and a slightly different gearbox) needs the oil changed every 10hours per the manual (although I do it every 5), a top end at 50hrs and a bottom end at 100hrs (so a full rebuild at 100hrs).

I'd expect the enduro version to go a bit longer and you MIGHT get 10,000km's out of it before a rebuild and I'd expect the oil to be done every 500-1000KM, if not sooner.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
This is going to sound pretty dumb... I recently bought a DRZ400SM with a full Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust, I didn't confirm with the previous owner if it had been rejetted. Is there an easy way I can look at it to find out?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Kim Jong ill posted:

This is going to sound pretty dumb... I recently bought a DRZ400SM with a full Yoshimura RS-2 exhaust, I didn't confirm with the previous owner if it had been rejetted. Is there an easy way I can look at it to find out?

Unfortunately the only way to check is to see if it has a different carb altogether, or open it up and look at the jets. It's a single and shouldn't be too hard.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Guni posted:

Not sure specifically on the CRF's, but my 2016 KTM 350SXF (i.e. the race bike / motocross version, not the enduro version with all the lights and a slightly different gearbox) needs the oil changed every 10hours per the manual (although I do it every 5), a top end at 50hrs and a bottom end at 100hrs (so a full rebuild at 100hrs).

I'd expect the enduro version to go a bit longer and you MIGHT get 10,000km's out of it before a rebuild and I'd expect the oil to be done every 500-1000KM, if not sooner.

Do you race it? I ask because this guy https://youtu.be/SWHGzx14xi4 took apart his engine at 200h and it was fine. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-350-exc-dissection-transformation.1187553/ I know compression is higher on the SXs, but it seems like as long as you're not racing those motors are actually pretty solid.

E: piston specs from that guy on page two.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Is it not running well? If it's good, why worry?

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 28, 2017

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Skreemer posted:

Unfortunately the only way to check is to see if it has a different carb altogether, or open it up and look at the jets. It's a single and shouldn't be too hard.

pull the spark plug and see if it's running rich/lean? I know that doesn't tell you if it's been rejetted, but might tell you if it should be or if whoever rejetted did a decent job, assuming the bike feels like it runs fine and doesn't have any obvious flat spots on throttle

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
pull the plug, does it look like its running lean? does it have any actual issues while running? If the plug looks within normal range and theres no issues then leave it alone

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

builds character posted:

Do you race it? I ask because this guy https://youtu.be/SWHGzx14xi4 took apart his engine at 200h and it was fine. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/ktm-350-exc-dissection-transformation.1187553/ I know compression is higher on the SXs, but it seems like as long as you're not racing those motors are actually pretty solid.

E: piston specs from that guy on page two.

Is it not running well? If it's good, why worry?

I don't, but I'm extremely anal about maintenance (especially oil changes and the like). I know of someone second hand who got 200hours out of their top (and potentially bottom, I can't exactly remember) end, so it's definitely not unbelievable.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Kim Jong ill posted:

Look for the fuel screw on the bottom of the carb on the engine side of the intake if it still has the Mikuni BSR36 (stock carb). If you can see the brass fuel screw and the standard screwdriver slot in it for adjustment then the PO removed the tamper plug and may have made some attempt at correct pilot, needle, and main settings.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Kim Jong ill posted:

listen for lots of backfiring when engine braking

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Razzled posted:

listen for lots of backfiring when engine braking

That's what you want, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Thanks for all the advice! I'd forgotten a family friend is a performance bike mechanic (He mostly does sportsbikes/superbikes, so it didn't cross my mind talking about old school carbs and poo poo) with a dyno, so I'll probably start with chucking it on there and the visual check for the broken tamper seal. Will post performance results if anyone's interested.

• Locked thread