Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
When did they add these sky stingrays and bugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

forge posted:

I auto piloted through a wind wall last night. Autopilot is basically already in the game. Formations are dumb and they should never be. Just drive your boat. Really the only people who need formations are pubbies so they can be screaming at other pubbies about what to do and how to fly.

I'm telling you now after seeing the poo poo posted on the public forums.. Each pubbie ship will require the "captain" position. Someone said the other day they were posting about starting their own in game government.

yea i didn't really mean anything as spergy as this wrt to formations :chloe: :yikes:

i was just thinking about easy organization, just having a rally point so that people could fly to a destination together, not some kind of automatic locked in formation.

will be interesting to coordinate ship speed and such, but having strength in numbers for air superiority would be cool as heck because i lust for giant air battles where people jump off and plant timed charges and hop from ship to ship while cannons shoot through the exploded hulls set from timed explosives and dumb silly stuff like that

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

We don't need that much organization. If it's any mildly competent group they already have all the roles assigned

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

forge posted:

I auto piloted through a wind wall last night. Autopilot is basically already in the game. Formations are dumb and they should never be. Just drive your boat.
Leaving the the helm on "forward" isn't really the same thing as autopilot though

Same reason I don't expect them to ever add an official map

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 27, 2017

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Keegers posted:

We don't need that much organization. If it's any mildly competent group they already have all the roles assigned

ya that makes sense, its supposed to be about fun. I was just thinking out loud wrt to being able to navigate to a certain spot considering as

Jackard posted:

this.

But I also wonder once the game gets closer to a launch, will the map be reset, regenerated, expanded etc. Lots of things in the air (pun intended)

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Jackard posted:

Leaving the the helm on "forward" isn't really the same thing as autopilot though

This game is so much better for not having autopilot and a ingame map. Jesus the most fun I've had in years has been this last 2 weeks? Exploring and stuff. Mapping stuff ourselves etc. Islands need to continue change on a semi regular basis, aka major updates, or major releases for content. This way things stay fresh.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Devs mentioned in a blog or something that they can pretty much add or remove islands on a whim

(they worded it "sink or rise")

Jackard fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 27, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Actually that would be really cool if each day islands sunk lower altitude. Then newer ones showed up at higher altitudes. This way the world changes non stop but it's not knee jerk.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

forge posted:

Actually that would be really cool if each day islands sunk lower altitude. Then newer ones showed up at higher altitudes. This way the world changes non stop but it's not knee jerk.

I like this idea.

Or also have the islands actually move around horizontally as well. Keep the playing field ever changing at all levels.

Though back on the center cluster vs outer areas, have the movement be less and more dense near the center, and move more as well as have increasingly sparce islands the farther out you go.

Then they could put in some sort of central "thing" that makes all this island stuff work to add to the Lore or something.

Whatever just thinking of ideas out loud.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

They just posted this today https://www.worldsadrift.com/blog/beyond-the-wall/

quote:

We are ready to unveil something we’ve been working on for a long time; a system, which will underlie all your future travels and travails in our segmented skies… the Biomes!

When the clouds part on our upcoming Alpha 6, you’ll begin your journey in the Wilderness, an idyll of gentle creatures amidst bountiful forests. As your first skyship rises above the foliage, your ambitions too will soar, and you may cast a curious glance through the wind wall to the sleepy villages of the Expanse. Only after plundering many a forgotten settlement, will you have the equipment (and the gumption) to tackle a storm wall and even then, you may fail. But one day, you will rest and repair your battered ship in the Remnants.

And there your journey will end. What more can a sane man hope for? You might hear legends of a desert beyond the sands – you might even meet a deranged skysailor, who swears on his mother that he’s been there, but who would risk a trip to the Badlands? This is only the beginning for our drifting worlds; as we develop them, they will grow further apart and one day, you may discover others. But even now, you will find that each has its own character and the risks and rewards of travelling between them will keep you pondering your next journey like never before. The islands, their animal inhabitants, discarded treasures from past eras, and the weather walls that guard them change as you venture ever further from your origin.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Today I woke up and I decided I wanted to experiment more with timed explosives.

Well I'm a certified Demolitions Expert now friends.

Timed Explosives take a bit to set up and if you get shot, you have to start over. But when you plant 2 at a time the results get.... interesting.

Manage to plant 3 in the same spot? Decks start flying apart. They're a bit quirky when ships are moving as they slide as soon as you start to place them.

I want to thank the pubbies for giving me a grant to explore this aspect in World's Adrift and while tears is an unusual currency to fund my experimentation, it was worth it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, not sure where I read or heard it, but I believe islands will sink/rise out of the depths on a regular basis. This lets them bring in new material for building stuff, provides a reason why you can't build island settlements, and let's them take out old content for revisions as they update their tools.

I'm sure some group will try to build a super massive ship or group of ships to act as a town at some point though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I WILL SINK THAT TOWN

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I want to make the best and fastest bonsai boat.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah, not sure where I read or heard it, but I believe islands will sink/rise out of the depths on a regular basis. This lets them bring in new material for building stuff, provides a reason why you can't build island settlements, and let's them take out old content for revisions as they update their tools.

I'm sure some group will try to build a super massive ship or group of ships to act as a town at some point though.

This is certainly the way to go. gently caress building on land, we're above that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's basically how the goon mothership works right now

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How do I salvage an abandoned ship frame?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that function doesn't yet appear to exist

Orv
May 4, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

I need this to happen for the inevitable pirate raid that will occur to the sky shantytown.

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

How do I salvage an abandoned ship frame?

Ram it off the edge of the island with a proper ship.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Dimo ArKacho posted:

Ram it off the edge of the island with a proper ship.

Addendum: Don't do this to a ship docked at a shipyard. Doesn't work as well.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Posting for discord invite, I am Troika.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So the new go to tactic is building the skiff and attaching a gun to it before the ship in question can take off. Start with the gun.. and have shells in had. Build the skiff and attach the gun. Load the shells and begin bombardment. Total time about 1min. Takes about 450 metal depending on if your cannon is exceptional and 100 wood. You should already have the assembly and shipyard equipped and prebuilt before engaging.

I got off about 5 shots before they really figured out wtf was going on. I also did the same thing and some big battleship ran. Then it decided it was going to turn on my skiff with 1 sail and 1 gun. They ultimately lost that battle since they had a cannon mounted in the rear top of the ship. So I took control of it and fired down through the hull. I got off about 3 rounds before they killed me. As I respawned I could see engines and plating falling. At that point they got so worried they decided the wind wall was the best place to run and hide.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
These guys have a new game. Splatoon meets Tony Hawk, how many projects do they have at once? Jesus Christ.
https://youtu.be/PUbtSdYGsQQ

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 31, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I at first was thinking the same thing. But then if it's one thing we know.. its that companies who make only one mmo game will typically crash and burn. So it might be smart on their part to continually have a revenue stream coming in. Plus I think most of the assets are done on WA. Networking coding however is not.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I dunno. MMOs tend to need long term support from their devs, and this is a smallish team right? Splitting their focus probably isn't a good thing.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Pavlov posted:

I dunno. MMOs tend to need long term support from their devs, and this is a smallish team right? Splitting their focus probably isn't a good thing.

They're outsourcing map design and content creation to the community, which probably cuts down on a lot of the staffing requirements.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Trust me I know, I'm one of the ones doing it for them. But that just lets a small staff sub in for a larger one. That small staff is still going to need to service the thing and help keep it fresh.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

Tried this out the other day and enjoyed it. Looking to fly ships with chill goons. Also in Discord under the same name.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

They said the vast majority of islands will probably be proceduraly generated with an artist pass over actually. I think that takes them less time than vetting user created maps honestly.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Are you sure about that? I could see that for the wilderness islands but not for the more industrialized ones. Those would still be time-consuming.

The community seems to self-vett pretty well so far. Right now it looks like most islands in-game are just the most popular ones on the workshop, probably with a quick pass to make sure they aren't full of dicks and swastikas.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Pavlov posted:

Are you sure about that? I could see that for the wilderness islands but not for the more industrialized ones. Those would still be time-consuming.

The community seems to self-vett pretty well so far. Right now it looks like most islands in-game are just the most popular ones on the workshop, probably with a quick pass to make sure they aren't full of dicks and swastikas.

It's what they said in interviews. :shrug:

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
I've given this game a few hours many betas ago, guess Ill give it a try again!

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
I've seen some videos and this game seems kinda cool but also unplayable. I saw a video of a guy shooting another guy for like 30 seconds and nothing happened, likewise there are hostile people just standing around looking at each other as the ships are fighting, am I just watching complete idiots or is this game's pvp really stupid?

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

I've seen some videos and this game seems kinda cool but also unplayable. I saw a video of a guy shooting another guy for like 30 seconds and nothing happened, likewise there are hostile people just standing around looking at each other as the ships are fighting, am I just watching complete idiots or is this game's pvp really stupid?

I don't know, everything else is so fun that I haven't even bothered with pvp beyond shooting a dude who tried to hijack my ship. And that was pretty cool because we had a grappling hook pistol battle with all of us swinging around shooting.
I think there's some serious bugs with pvp right now but like, it's alpha. Join the alpha if you want to help test it and are willing to give feedback? Otherwise....wait until it's done?

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

I'd help test if I had a key. :v:

Have they said when they're giving out more keys?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I've been dicking around with it for a few days. The crafting is neat and the flying interesting. Clearly some things aren't done - I really want to add hull walls to my ship, but it looks awful - but there's an idea there. Have only seen other players a few times, though, so no PvP.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

phourniner posted:

I'd help test if I had a key. :v:

Have they said when they're giving out more keys?

I supposedly going into open beta early access sometime soonish

forge
Feb 26, 2006
So we are still a couple weeks out from 6.0 release. This should have the following fixes below [planned].

Ghost players,” and getting constantly reset to your ghost player when you log in
Cannon shells rubberbanding (often wrecking your own ship)
Stuttering/hanging when loading islands, throwing you off the ship
Perpetual hanging (with the loading circle) when loading into the revival chamber, which seems to have returned
Another returning bug, islands disappearing suddenly out from under you
Placing parts on the hull of the ship eventually degrades your framerate, often to 1 or worse
Sometimes parts placed on a ship appear on your screen somewhere way off in the distance, even though on the server they’re in the correct spot
This one doesn’t really belong on a list of bugs, but it’s important enough to mention here: Random respawns will finally be fully implemented and work as intended, which is as a last resort when being spawn camped, rather than a way to bypass building ships.

I was able to talk with the devs a bit this morning and got some interesting feedback. Basically it was rather reassuring that two of the major issues can be resolved.

Bossa Kirk: We don't have an exact date for Alpha 6.0 yet it's still a few weeks away at least. When we know more we'll let you guys know too.

[9:41 AM] Bossa Kirk: @forge As in ships bouncing when docked? Or are you referring to something else?
[9:41 AM] forge: yes, it almost seems like the client/server isn't updated on where we are
[9:41 AM] forge: and the generally jerkiness of some areas
[9:41 AM] OliverAge24: when flying around?
[9:41 AM] forge: i was interested in the cause from a technical point of view
[9:42 AM] forge: im talking about when flying etc
[9:42 AM] OliverAge24: I think it's to do with the dead reckoning
[9:42 AM] forge: well that's already over my head
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: well, the dead reckoning should hopefully fix it lol
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: from what I've heard the developers say, the movements are all validated by the server
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: so the stuttering is the difference between the physics that are calculated locally and the server ones
[9:43 AM] OliverAge24: and then they re-sync
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: which is why it stutters
[9:44 AM] forge: gotcha
[9:44 AM] forge: thanks!
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: and then dead reckoning - I think is the process of calculating / estimating it better, so that it feels much more smooth
[9:44 AM] OliverAge24: but one of the developers could explain it way better lol

TK-313: I'm curious about everything flying (ships, mantas, bugs etc) moving in jerks sometimes. Does the environment like mantas get the same calculate-on-client, validate-by-server treatment then?
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24: oh so that happens when a particular fsim starts acting up
[9:47 AM] OliverAge24: the fsims are servers that deal with all of the physics

Almost struct gold here..
[9:44 AM] forge: i know me and many others will be very impressed if you guys resolve half the remaining issues in Herbs post on the forums
] forge: those are quite a few bugs which have alot of impact
[9:45 AM] forge: i figured they wouldn't all be fixed for 6.0
[9:45 AM] OliverAge24: do you have a link to the post?
[9:45 AM] forge: umm let me find it
Bossa Kirk: @OliverAge24 Are you feeling ok buddy? You're in danger of providing serious answers here.
[9:48 AM] forge: ^
[9:48 AM] OliverAge24: lol It's too cold in the office, I can't think of anything trollish to say

He then sorta dodged that as I guess spilling the beans on exactly all the fixes might be either a bit much, or over extending..
[9:53 AM] OliverAge24: yeah there's loads of optimisations to come and bugs that aren't on herb's forum post

It was good to see them being active and actually providing answers which is a good sign. Along with the information above seems to show they have a good grasp of what the causes are and how they can likely resolve them. So its looking like those might actually be fixed in 6.0, which I'm guessing will be targeted for around March 1st. 6.0 Will bring in biomes, more player population areas because of starting locations, etc. These fixes and probably a public Steam early access if the targeted "Q1 17 EA release" remains on schedule. Which from what I see above, etc doesn't show any reason that it currently would not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh neat. i'm definitely on board for whatever we do in 6.0