Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bacon Taco posted:

Dammit, actual facts are causing me to wonder if I should stop reflexively hating Mark Davis and the Raiders. gently caress.

Well for one thing the murder of Biletnikoff's daughter in 1999 apparently wasn't enough to make the team vet Tom Cable before hiring him. Or enough to make them check out any violent tendencies after he punched out an assistant coach. I mean that or they didn't care, since it wasn't 'personal.'

To be fair Al Davis cited domestic violence as going into his decision to fire Cable, after employing him for four years. I'm sure it just took them a year and a half to figure it out after Outside the Lines did the footwork on finding out that he'd abused at least two women (and one coach's jaw). Performance and Al wanting to win another championship before he died had nothing to do with it.

e: I'm generally fine with the Davis family, but that's Warcrimes citing some Raiders PR work for them.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Well for one thing the murder of Biletnikoff's daughter in 1999 apparently wasn't enough to make the team vet Tom Cable before hiring him. Or enough to make them check out any violent tendencies after he punched out an assistant coach. I mean that or they didn't care, since it wasn't 'personal.'

To be fair Al Davis cited domestic violence as going into his decision to fire Cable, after employing him for four years. I'm sure it just took them a year and a half to figure it out after Outside the Lines did the footwork on finding out that he'd abused at least two women (and one coach's jaw). Performance and Al wanting to win another championship before he died had nothing to do with it.

e: I'm generally fine with the Davis family, but that's Warcrimes citing some Raiders PR work for them.

The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Also Al was petty as gently caress about Marcus Allen

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

PR or not it's the truth and the no DV thing is an ironclad policy under Mark.

a neat cape posted:

Also Al was petty as gently caress about Marcus Allen

He'd have strange feuds with his biggest stars(Stabler and Brown had falling outs, also). Nobody could be a bigger star than Al and the team, except Bo Jackson.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hated Al for his thing with Marcus Allen.

from everything I've heard though, Marcus Allen is not a good guy in real life.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

kiimo posted:

^ this is also true

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bacon Taco posted:

Dammit, actual facts are causing me to wonder if I should stop reflexively hating Mark Davis and the Raiders. gently caress.

I can't find the source but I remember another story about that accident when marquis cooper and some other NFL guys capsized their boat and three were still missing when the coast guard called off the search. Al Davis paid out of his own pocket to have charters continue searching.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Bacon Taco posted:

Hate the Raiders and Al Davis because that's what Al Davis wanted.

All also wanted the Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers to be good every year because he wanted winning the afc west to mean something

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Al, like most humans not literally Hitler, was a mixture of good and bad, but drat it, he just wasn't as douchey as a lot of owners are/were. Also, suing the NFL, winning the case, then also winning the Super Bowl is some god tier trolling.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 28, 2017

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

whiteyfats posted:

Al, like most humans not literally Hitler, was a mixture of good and bad, but drat it, he just wasn't as douchey as a lot of owners are/were. Also, suing the NFL, winning the case, then also winning the Super Bowl is a some god tier trolling.

He took it up a notch when the NFL sued him, he won and won a large settlement from it. That he also forced the NFL to merge with the AFL(as Commish of the AFL, he green-lighted signing NFL stars) is underappreciated. He actually wanted to break the NFL but a couple of good ole boys brokered the merger behind his back.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please don't trigger me by calling Lamar Hunt a good ol boy

edit: even if he was from Texas.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

a neat cape posted:

Hate the Raiders and Al Davis because that's what Al Davis wanted.

All also wanted the Broncos, Chiefs, and Chargers to be good every year because he wanted winning the afc west to mean something

You should want the other teams in your division to be good (but your team better).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
gently caress the Spanos family

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Chinatown posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chinatown posted:

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Chinatown posted:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chinatown posted:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

whiteyfats posted:

Al, like most humans not literally Hitler, was a mixture of good and bad, but drat it, he just wasn't as douchey as a lot of owners are/were. Also, suing the NFL, winning the case, then also winning the Super Bowl is some god tier trolling.

Hitler liked dogs, but I can't think of any good qualities in the Spanos family.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kiimo posted:

Like that time he cheated on his fiance with his best friend's wife, and then kept banging her even after his best friend found out and told her if she ever saw Marcus again he'd murder her lol.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Volkerball posted:

Like that time he cheated on his fiance with his best friend's wife, and then kept banging her even after his best friend found out and told her if she ever saw Marcus again he'd murder her lol.

Good times, hopefully nothing happened to that woman

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

Good times, hopefully nothing happened to that woman

gently caress off trash

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nothing to lose your head over, dude.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TBeats posted:

Nothing to lose your head over, dude.

Haha, holy poo poo that red text. For the record it wasn't me, I was just manufacturing a reason to post that Bill Murray thing.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Grittybeard posted:

Haha, holy poo poo that red text. For the record it wasn't me, I was just manufacturing a reason to post that Bill Murray thing.

It's a badge of honor.

Much like the three rings Tom Brady won that Drew Bledsoe would have won had he never gotten hurt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TBeats posted:

It's a badge of honor.

Much like the three rings Tom Brady won that Drew Bledsoe would have won had he never gotten hurt.

2 rings.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let's call it 2.5 rings, one of the Super Bowls would have ended in a tie after triple-overtime or whatever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Let's call it 2.5 rings, one of the Super Bowls would have ended in a tie after triple-overtime or whatever.

...They couldn't let the Super Bowl end in a tie, could they?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

whiteyfats posted:

That happened in Australia for an AFL equivalent game.

They came back in a week and played the game again. It's kinda like, I think everyone was happy. Fans in the ground saw an amazing game, and everyone else got two games out of it :lol:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

whiteyfats posted:

I think at a certain point they will literally flip a coin.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005

Chinatown posted:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

warcrimes posted:

gently caress off trash

What?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Is posting while drunk as gently caress still probateable? Asking for a friend(who apologizes for that rude post).

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

i mean, good luck finding a mod who cares around here

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

warcrimes posted:

Is posting while drunk as gently caress still probateable? Asking for a friend(who apologizes for that rude post).

Are you drunk? Why are you mad?

Is this pro Marcus Allen, or against?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

just call it nrrposting

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

Are you drunk? Why are you mad?

Is this pro Marcus Allen, or against?

No, gently caress Marcus Allen. How I typed it looks like it was directed at you, which it wasn't but alcohol happened.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Sister problems eh WC

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Amy Pole Her posted:

Sister problems eh WC

I can empathize https://youtu.be/DDyybi7t634

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Adelson has pulled out of the Raiders Vegas project.

http://usat.ly/2jPpYFb

• Locked thread