Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Star Control II is the best Star Trek game

godDAMN I played a lot of that game back in the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

skasion posted:

I was having so much fun exploring and making friends when I was suddenly introduced to the Time Limit, and then it was Too Late.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I remember maneuvering around the correctly-scaled Voyager bridge in Elite Force felt really cramped, because video games tend to treat the player model as just a big tall cube it was really easy to get hung up on the edge of consoles and what-not. I'd imagine the issue would be even worse in a janky third-person engine, where it would be obvious when the player cube ran into something that no model polygon was actually touching. The Defiant maps in the third-person The Fallen released around the same as Elite Force were also really scaled up, presumably for the same reason. Check out Worf's IMAX console.

Also I notice some of Dax's assets got scaled up as well...

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I don't even wanna know how many hours I've lost over the years to SC2, especially the open source version with a time mod.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Tighclops posted:

Why would you pay for Voyager when you can see it on Space for free

Cable channels aren't free, my dude.

You know just when you think you've seen the most ridic poo poo Voyager has to offer, Janeway is pulling a heist with Leonardo Da Vinci / John Rhys-Davies.

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Scudworth posted:

Cable channels aren't free, my dude.

You know just when you think you've seen the most ridic poo poo Voyager has to offer, Janeway is pulling a heist with Leonardo Da Vinci / John Rhys-Davies.

Sliders just wasn't paying the bills

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sometimes I gotta respect Voyager for their willingness to go the most ridiculous.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Voyager has good episodes, they're just mostly all episodes that totally ignore most of Voyager's ongoing plot points. Their bottle episodes are genuinely good in places, but the problem that comes up when you watch through Voyager is you go from neat bottle episodes or cool holodeck adventures, or really anything where Janeway doesn't make decisions, to "What genocide are we presiding over and frowning sternly at this week Mr Tuvok?" and the whiplash from okay to criminally bad is really upsetting.

E: Woke up and flipped on the TV, greeted by The Doomsday Machine some of TOS's finest bad acting, good way to start the day.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 28, 2017

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

skasion posted:

I actually think Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are the standard Star Trek games should be judged by. They play out just like a TOS episode and you can even get redshirts killed along the way.
That and there's a scene in one of them where Kirk uses his long list of girlfriends as justification of his manhood in a Klingon trial.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://moviepilot.com/p/star-trek-discovery-number-one-the-original-series/4196658

Latest Discovery rumor, based on an offhand comment from TWD's Scott Gimple is that Number One from Discovery played by Sonequa Martin-Green will be the same character that Majel Barret played in The Cage/Menagerie:

quote:

Sonequa Martin-Green can do anything... She can fulfill the duties of a Lieutenant Commander on a Constitution-class starship whilst battling walkers, Saviors, and whatever gets in Sasha’s way. We’ve had to juggle before. I will certainly juggle for Star Trek any day of the week. Okay, maybe not on Sunday.

Seems a bit flimsy to me, and probably Gimple confusing the characters more than anything else. If it is true, making her black is still less egregious than recasting Glenn Corbett with James Cromwell. :colbert: But it seems silly, because if they hew to the timeline Discovery will take place starting a year after The Cage, so if this Number One is a bright eyed bushy tailed junior officer rising through the ranks as described in the early press about the show, that won't square with Barrett's steely, hyper competent XO.

I truly hope it isn't, because I bet she won't try to play the character the same since her and the writers will want the freedom to expand on stuff and be creative in their interpretation, and it will be a Zefram Cochrane/Khan scenario where we are let to ask why they didn't just create a new character if they didn't want to be bound by the canon of an old one?

Orv
May 4, 2011
The entire thing about Discovery following a specific character throughout these things just seems like a bad idea to me from the get-go. Obviously I have zero basis for it, but it sounds to me like more of the post-BSG sci-fi TV exec world where everything needs to be gritty and drama focused. Hello SGU. Maybe that's the lovely Trek superfan part of me speaking, which I usually try to repress, I don't know.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 28, 2017

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Baronjutter posted:

Crazy idea, actually have a bridge station and crewman assigned to monitoring that that and reporting relevant information to the bridge or sickbay.

Or taking a headcount and figuring out there's extra life forms abroad. Otherwise why is there a console for security on the bridge?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

skooma512 posted:

Or taking a headcount and figuring out there's extra life forms abroad. Otherwise why is there a console for security on the bridge?

It's basically a slot machine wheel with security member's names on it. When there's an emergency, Worf hits the spin button. The names it lands on get sent to die.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

macnbc posted:

I actually think Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites are the standard Star Trek games should be judged by. They play out just like a TOS episode and you can even get redshirts killed along the way.
That and there's a scene in one of them where Kirk uses his long list of girlfriends as justification of his manhood in a Klingon trial.

They truly nail the feel of TOS but the old-timey "if you're not using every button on the keyboard you didn't put enough features in the game" design bothers me a lot

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

skasion posted:

They truly nail the feel of TOS but the old-timey "if you're not using every button on the keyboard you didn't put enough features in the game" design bothers me a lot

But they were point-and-click, though? :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

macnbc posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember that dialogue option. :aaa:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Wait, what? I don't remember that dialogue option. :aaa:

Yeah, trial on Hrakkour. The correct dialogue option to progress has Shatner read off “I’m James T. Kirk. I’m more worthy than you’ll ever be. And I have girlfriends on fifty planets who will vouch for that.”

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I guess it's been a while since I played it. I never had the CD versions of those games, so I didn't get the recorded dialogue.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I guess it's been a while since I played it. I never had the CD versions of those games, so I didn't get the recorded dialogue.

It was worth it just trying to phaser everything and having Bones say "Jim, put that thing away" over and over again

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why yes, I was in my early teens when I played it, why do you ask

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Voyager a lot better than Enterprise. I think it's because, years ago, I was on holiday in America, and one TV channel (might have been USA or probably just SyFy) seemed to have this round-the-clock Voyager marathon on the whole time I was there and I watched a whole bunch of it to fill time when I didn't feel like reading, but I hadn't really seen much of any of the other series at that point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

After The War posted:

But they were point-and-click, though? :confused:

I was going to say, I could certainly see that complaint for Starfleet Academy and probably Starfleet Command, but 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites had controls about as straightforward as they come.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Voyager a lot better than Enterprise.
I don't know anyone who doesn't. Voyager was reheated TNG; Enterprise was reheated Voyager. Basically, the idiot 'clone of a clone' from Multiplicity.

Plus, Voyager at least had the Doctor and Seven (and Tuvok, in his more sarcastic moments) as strong, watchable characters. Enterprise's leads were the blandest bunch imaginable, just Mad-Libs remixes of characters from previous shows. Wow, the Deep South guy who's the captain's old friend is now the engineer, not the doctor! The Vulcan science officer is now the woman in a catsuit! Holy poo poo!

Orv
May 4, 2011
I've come to like Enterprise a little more every year we get away from its run, and at this point I'd probably place it in a tie with Voyager for worst Trek. By the time I'm senile I'll at least have an excuse for placing it fourth.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Timby posted:

I was going to say, I could certainly see that complaint for Starfleet Academy and probably Starfleet Command, but 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites had controls about as straightforward as they come.

I guess it's not as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'm confusing it with X-Wing or something

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

skasion posted:

I guess it's not as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'm confusing it with X-Wing or something

:3:

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
One of my favourite episodes of Voyager is Muse, the one where B'Elanna gets stuck on a planet and has to help a write create a play about the mythical "Voyager Eternals" in order to convince his patron to not wage war on the neighboring country. It's just a really sweet episode that's basically B'Elanna talking one on one with the playwright, and the guest stars putting on a Greek-style play. So I was curious as to how UPN would market that with their TITS AND EXPLOSIONS kind of promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45fF7thHz98

They couldn't figure out how to make this character episode more exciting, so they just stole a bunch of clips from other episodes instead.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Chakotay's hair doesn't bother me until he puts on the Miami Vice suit for the Sarah Silvetman episode and then it drives me loving insane. Also because of the way BBCA does their Trek blocks everything is completely out of order and it's kind of nice.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

macnbc posted:

I was always a big fan of A Final Unity.

Orv
May 4, 2011
There was a TNG 3D adventure game that I played the demo of to death, anyone actually play the whole thing?

E: Hidden Evil. Apparently very bad

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 28, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Orv posted:

There was a TNG 3D adventure game that I played the demo of to death, anyone actually play the whole thing?

Pretty sure it was this (as that's the only PC TNG adventure game I can think of):

V-Men posted:

I was always a big fan of A Final Unity.

Which was a lot of fun, although the puzzles in the back third of the game were bordering on complete and utter bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

I don't know anyone who doesn't. Voyager was reheated TNG; Enterprise was reheated Voyager. Basically, the idiot 'clone of a clone' from Multiplicity.

Sure, the thing about Voyager to my mind is that even if it wasn't as good as its predecessors, it felt like it was trying to be Star Trek, whereas Enterprise felt like it was trying to be the thing Star Trek hadn't really had since 1987 - its competition.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Stuff like that gets into your muscle memory. A while back I picked up X-Wing on GOG and fired it up for the first time in twenty years. I started a mission, and completely automatically, within the first few seconds, I dumped the excess weapons energy into the shields, adjusted the cannons to slow recharge, selected single fire, assigned my wingmen to attack particular enemy fighters and then took the nearest one for myself. I can't tell you what buttons I pushed to do all this. I just DID it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Timby posted:

Pretty sure it was this (as that's the only PC TNG adventure game I can think of):

Which was a lot of fun, although the puzzles in the back third of the game were bordering on complete and utter bullshit.

The final puzzle requires you to find out information by going far enough away that you can see the light from when a past event occurred. On the one hand it's a thing that is a natural consequence of faster than light travel being a thing you can do, and yet it's not really in the rules of how Star Trek does things. The rest of the game feels really like a TNG episode, so suddenly pulling out that kind of puzzle at the end is not very fair.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Tsaedje posted:

The final puzzle requires you to find out information by going far enough away that you can see the light from when a past event occurred. On the one hand it's a thing that is a natural consequence of faster than light travel being a thing you can do, and yet it's not really in the rules of how Star Trek does things. The rest of the game feels really like a TNG episode, so suddenly pulling out that kind of puzzle at the end is not very fair.

That's not the final puzzle. That just leads you to the final away mission which also has puzzles

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

mateo360 posted:

That's not the final puzzle. That just leads you to the final away mission which also has puzzles

It's been approximately 15 years since I last touched the game, I remember that being towards the end and being fairly bullshit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
The first puzzle was assembling a DOS boot disk that would successfully launch the game; I remember it took my father a while to figure that one out.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
When I watch Voyager I hate everyone on screen except the Doctor.
When I watch Enterprise everyone is extremely boring except the doctor.

Which of these is worse depends on my mood at the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Enterprise is fun to hate watch. Voyager is just terrible in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Which do you like more, endless moralizing over a terrible military directive, or endless moralizing whether we should have a terrible military directive? Pick to taste, garnish with occasional good episodes or a mostly okay season.