Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Fister Roboto posted:

Sadly the anime FC broke up over a year ago I think. RIP in peace, Smokin' Aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3UoO1RW5U&t=2s

oh my god the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Reiterpallasch posted:

if you're on excal on evenings pst, feel free to drop me (mistel aventice) a line from thursday to monday, and i'll usually be willing to go into an a9/10 party finder with you

i can show you the ropes and yell at people who are being jerks to you. creator savage really shouldn't be hard to dip your toes into at this point.

The first two fights of every savage step should be pretty accessible to pick up groups. The third and fourth, though, are a bit rougher. I think you'd still be hard pressed to pug 3,4,7, or 8. Once you're comfortable with some of the mechanics you could probably tackle 11.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zurvan PF groups are sapping my faith in the player base. The 5-6 dps groups planning on skipping soar, still don't, and then of course get killed by it (especially 6 dps, since you don't even know exactly who's getting circles if there's only one healer). The 2/2/4 comp that could cleanly and consistently handle mechanics (yes, even Annoying Soar Pattern™) so long as the dps isn't so terrible as to hit enrage, still invariably gets people who die to stupid poo poo like moving early for southern cross or not standing close to the boss during tethers.

:sigh:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Replaced my ~5 year old desktop and it's so much prettier with everything cranked up :sparkles:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

The first two fights of every savage step should be pretty accessible to pick up groups. The third and fourth, though, are a bit rougher. I think you'd still be hard pressed to pug 3,4,7, or 8. Once you're comfortable with some of the mechanics you could probably tackle 11.

Echo and ilvl is enough to carry you through a4s so long as 3 people can do the sac strategy right.

3, 7 and 8 though... noooope

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Replaced my ~5 year old desktop and it's so much prettier with everything cranked up :sparkles:

What mount is this?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

vOv posted:

What mount is this?

The one for winning 10 frontlines with a Garo title on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

Echo and ilvl is enough to carry you through a4s so long as 3 people can do the sac strategy right.

3, 7 and 8 though... noooope

8 is still one of the most beautifully designed and fun fights while simultaneously being the worst fight in the game because of how long it is and how loving stupid it can be at times.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Vil posted:

Zurvan PF groups are sapping my faith in the player base. The 5-6 dps groups planning on skipping soar, still don't, and then of course get killed by it (especially 6 dps, since you don't even know exactly who's getting circles if there's only one healer). The 2/2/4 comp that could cleanly and consistently handle mechanics (yes, even Annoying Soar Pattern™) so long as the dps isn't so terrible as to hit enrage, still invariably gets people who die to stupid poo poo like moving early for southern cross or not standing close to the boss during tethers.

:sigh:

I basically only make/join learning groups with the standard 2/2/4 set up and I've only gotten groups where people either do great DPS but fail literally every mechanic or groups that execute so incredibly well that Healers can practically sit in Cleric forever but the DPS is so poo poo we get Phase 2 Wave Cannon, which basically means we'd never beat the enrage even if we did get past adds. :cripes:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The thing I don't get with everybody complaining about people wanting to skip soar is that skipping soar is easier than doing soar. Like, learning how to put out good DPS is an order of magnitude easier than that mechanic. Your DPS doesn't even have to be particularly good to do it! Skip first soar, tank LB second soar, hallowed/living dead the demon claw leaves you with not a single difficult mechanic in the fight.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^ excepting the yakety sax/broken seal

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I basically only make/join learning groups with the standard 2/2/4 set up and I've only gotten groups where people either do great DPS but fail literally every mechanic or groups that execute so incredibly well that Healers can practically sit in Cleric forever but the DPS is so poo poo we get Phase 2 Wave Cannon, which basically means we'd never beat the enrage even if we did get past adds. :cripes:

Speaking of "standard composition" is there any mechanic that is even intended for an OT? The adds aren't anything like say sephirot.

The reason to bring 5 DPS is that there's nothing for the off tank to do! (Other than fell cleaves of course)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

Speaking of "standard composition" is there any mechanic that is even intended for an OT? The adds aren't anything like say sephirot.

The reason to bring 5 DPS is that there's nothing for the off tank to do! (Other than fell cleaves of course)

Demon claw is a mechanic for the OT.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Current strategy is to cheese it to such an extent that I didn't even notice that was a tank swap. :psyduck:

Since the player base has so thoroughly broken some of these fights immediately after release I fear what the first raids in the expansion will be like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hobbesmaster posted:

Current strategy is to cheese it to such an extent that I didn't even notice that was a tank swap. :psyduck:

Since the player base has so thoroughly broken some of these fights immediately after release I fear what the first raids in the expansion will be like.

It's not a tank swap, it's a wild charge mechanic--the charge does tankbuster level damage to the first person in the aoe, then split damage amongst the rest.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The thing I don't get with everybody complaining about people wanting to skip soar is that skipping soar is easier than doing soar. Like, learning how to put out good DPS is an order of magnitude easier than that mechanic. Your DPS doesn't even have to be particularly good to do it! Skip first soar, tank LB second soar, hallowed/living dead the demon claw leaves you with not a single difficult mechanic in the fight.

It's actually a very easy mechanic though. Stack tanks N, DPS go to diagonal directions, healers pick a DPS to stand on, boom done. Adjust slightly for the annoying pattern.

Like, I also get that skipping it is super doable and trivializes things further, but the level of salt about OMG WE DIDN'T SKIP SOAR is really making me go "oh sweetie" about the hills some people choose to die on.

My main issue is not with general dps expectations but expecting these things of randoms from PF. I think it would be totally reasonable to ask this of a static, or of FC or LS or friends or people you know and can organize. But randoms? They're randoms. Sure, they might be that good, but flipping out and raging in shock and surprise that randoms aren't super amazing (or even what most of us would call "up to par") just seems very silly to me. It's not like it's any great revelation that a lot of people underperform.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

hobbesmaster posted:

I mean, Creator seemed to handle it pretty well, all things considered. Especially A11, which skips mechanics if you look at it funny.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Vil posted:

It's actually a very easy mechanic though. Stack tanks N, DPS go to diagonal directions, healers pick a DPS to stand on, boom done. Adjust slightly for the annoying pattern.

Like, I also get that skipping it is super doable and trivializes things further, but the level of salt about OMG WE DIDN'T SKIP SOAR is really making me go "oh sweetie" about the hills some people choose to die on.

My main issue is not with general dps expectations but expecting these things of randoms from PF. I think it would be totally reasonable to ask this of a static, or of FC or LS or friends or people you know and can organize. But randoms? They're randoms. Sure, they might be that good, but flipping out and raging in shock and surprise that randoms aren't super amazing (or even what most of us would call "up to par") just seems very silly to me. It's not like it's any great revelation that a lot of people underperform.

I have a lot of trouble identifying my exact spot on a featureless circle, when being slightly off means you get hit by an unmarked AoE and die, and the person next to your being off means you get double circled and die. Like, empirically speaking there are people who are better at soar than at putting out competent DPS but it just boggles my mind that that's the case because skipping soar with 5 DPS just isn't that hard.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Verranicus posted:

The one for winning 10 frontlines with a Garo title on.

You can win in frontline?

:negative:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I have a lot of trouble identifying my exact spot on a featureless circle, when being slightly off means you get hit by an unmarked AoE and die, and the person next to your being off means you get double circled and die. Like, empirically speaking there are people who are better at soar than at putting out competent DPS but it just boggles my mind that that's the case because skipping soar with 5 DPS just isn't that hard.

Doing soar (if you actually see it) with 1/2/5 or 1/1/6 is hard, yes. If you're bringing 5-6 dps, you'd drat well better skip soar because it's hard to actually do in those party comps, for the reasons you described (and even more so with 1/1/6 when there are 7 circle candidates for 6 circles and RNG targeting is a factor). It's a high risk/high reward strategy. If it works out, the fight overall goes faster and you skip an annoying mechanic. If it doesn't, someone's probably dying, possibly several someones.

Doing soar with 2/2/4, however, is goddamn easy. Even for the annoying pattern: stack the tanks north, do two dps (NE and SE) east side as you normally would (outgoing divebombs clearly mark the area: tank pair N next to north line, SE next to southeast line, NE squeeze into the space the size of a lalafell's head in between their circles). And then there's only two, not three, circles to fit in the west side. NW person goes due W even though they could go slightly north of that because compass directions are easy, SW/S person goes SWish, enough to not overlap with NW/W person but not so far they hit S divebomb. Healers stack with anyone who's not the tanks, like they usually do.

Basically option A is to commit to trying for the ideal soar skip while also committing to making soar a pain if you do get it. Option B is to commit to lower odds of getting the ideal soar skip while allowing for it to be easy to handle the mechanic if (when) you do see it. My question is: which is a smarter idea for reliably getting people to live through the fight, when your party is composed of a bunch of randoms of dubious dps quality?

Mind you, I'd totally go with option A with a premade static of some sort. If I can trust their damage output, that makes it low risk but still high reward.

But with PF randoms? I just think it's silly to even try. You're gonna be going through so drat much salty replacement of underperformers (as well as mechanic failures) that you might never actually get going. Option B though, all you've really got to replace are mechanic failures, whom you'd have to replace either way. And I suppose if any dps are so very bad that you hit enrage despite everyone being alive the whole time, but that's a much higher (lower?) bar of being terrible than just not being high enough dps to skip soar.

Vil fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 28, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As far as I can determine, Frontline appears to be an elaborate RNG-based system for handing out wolf marks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Turn on freelancer and Frontlines become a random 1/3 chance of a win. Feast is a 1/2 chance. Just keep grinding them and you'll get the wins eventually.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Frontlines are a 1/3 chance of a win without being a freelancer too. It does nothing to improve your odds of winning but possibly giving you more opportunities because your queues are quicker, though from when I tried Freelancer out, it didn't decrease my queue time either.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Turn on freelancer and Frontlines become a random 1/3 chance of a win. Feast is a 1/2 chance. Just keep grinding them and you'll get the wins eventually.
Feast is probably a bit lower than that if you don't know how to PVP since that part of it actually vaguely matters. But yeah even there you'll eventually run into an enemy team that's equally incompetent, and the matches are a lot faster, so it's just a matter of slugging it out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Saigyouji posted:

I mean, Creator seemed to handle it pretty well, all things considered. Especially A11, which skips mechanics if you look at it funny.

I still don't quite understand how A11 calculates which mechanics he's gonna do and which he isn't gonna bother with. In instances where the party wipes and we have to give it another go (or 3 :() I've seen the Lapis stuff come like 50% of the time.

Vil posted:

Zurvan PF groups are sapping my faith in the player base.

I have yet to find one that could actually beat the guy, so I decided to return to whining about the anima until I can get goon support. It doesn't even look particularly difficult. No part of the fight looks anywhere near as challenging as Nidhogg or even Sephirot. Yet there I am, watching 3 people get massacred by Soar.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Don't suppose anyone here's having any problems reinstalling the game? I've been trying to do so since the patch release, but I always get stopped at exactly 19,173.06 megabytes left, at which point the launcher spits out an "Unable to download patch files [30413][25008][20495]" error, crashes, and then deletes the last 620.51 megabytes of progress, forcing me to go over those again.

I've tried reinstalling (Steam gave me some grief when I tried that, by locking the file on me like I was preloading), I've tried using a VPN, and I've tried sheer bloody-mindedness, but the game seems determined to eat my bandwidth at no real gains. I've also tried doing my research, but everyone goes "Oh yeah, just use Cyberghost and it'll work fine" (It didn't).

And obviously, posting this in the official forums is impossible because they ban you from posting if you haven't logged in for more than 14 days, and their tech support is notoriously lovely and unhelpful (Unless that's changed in the past month or two). I don't suppose any goons have had this problem and know how to fix it?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

switch your DNS servers to google's and try again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

I still don't quite understand how A11 calculates which mechanics he's gonna do and which he isn't gonna bother with. In instances where the party wipes and we have to give it another go (or 3 :() I've seen the Lapis stuff come like 50% of the time.

Cruise Chaser has a lot of HP threshholds for doing mechanics, but if he's pushed past one while he's stuck in an animation the next mechanic may be skipped entirely. In normal its pretty simple to skip the lapis phase if your DPS is high, but in savage the timing gets weird since he'll jump for the first airplane ride at about 63% (unless stuck animating his laser sword), but has to be at 60% no later than 2 seconds after he lands to do the skip. Depending on what you did or didn't push earlier, you may get him to 63% before he starts that laser sword, and if that happens you are going to be stuck playing with his balls.

The party can lay off DPS at certain points or save pots and B4B to spike DPS in order to game the timing, but this will require a lot of practice with your static and will basically never be something you can expect out of a pug.

If you are regularly getting lapis phase in normal, then you just found yourself some bad to mediocre DPS to group up with.

VVV lol

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 28, 2017

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

:stonk:

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

ilifinicus posted:

switch your DNS servers to google's and try again

Huh, can you give me a quick rundown of how to do that? I don't ordinarily bugger with my DNS lists.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
There's no way it's that serious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Frontlines are a 1/3 chance of a win without being a freelancer too. It does nothing to improve your odds of winning but possibly giving you more opportunities because your queues are quicker, though from when I tried Freelancer out, it didn't decrease my queue time either.

There exist actual imbalances across GCs depending on data center. When I played on Exodus Flames were hands down the winners 90% of the time and on Aether Adders won more often than not until Freelancer was a thing. So enabling freelancer makes it truly random.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

24-man frontline is garbage. 8-man, never happens any more but you could actually mitigate RNG in that one and it is not nearly as much of a complete clusterfuck.

Edit: I legitimately enjoy Feast, particularly 4-man. Everyone really matters there and every person's individual skill can contribute a lot. It means if you're good and your team is at least passable, you can carry a match.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2017

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Is this where we make a joke about "elitism", or the fact it's clearly not high enough of a bar since there's at least 7 active participants

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SonicRulez posted:

There's no way it's that serious.

It's absolutely serious. People are dinks.

Thundarr posted:

Cruise Chaser has a lot of HP threshholds for doing mechanics, but if he's pushed past one while he's stuck in an animation the next mechanic may be skipped entirely. In normal its pretty simple to skip the lapis phase if your DPS is high, but in savage the timing gets weird since he'll jump for the first airplane ride at about 63% (unless stuck animating his laser sword), but has to be at 60% no later than 2 seconds after he lands to do the skip. Depending on what you did or didn't push earlier, you may get him to 63% before he starts that laser sword, and if that happens you are going to be stuck playing with his balls.

The party can lay off DPS at certain points or save pots and B4B to spike DPS in order to game the timing, but this will require a lot of practice with your static and will basically never be something you can expect out of a pug.

If you are regularly getting lapis phase in normal, then you just found yourself some bad to mediocre DPS to group up with.

VVV lol

Are you saying you can skip the first active time maneuver? We typically skip a bunch of mechanics in that fight but have never done that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, there is no way that is not serious.

Most MMOs have a problem where people want you to have gear better than what can possibly drop to actually let you do the content.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Would anyone be interested in putting together an 8man group sometime and either doing some 8v8 PVP or playing as a hit squad in 24v24v24?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

See, it's things like this that just confirm for me I'm never going to raid.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

A. Beaverhausen posted:

See, it's things like this that just confirm for me I'm never going to raid.

Yeah one weirdo setting up something in PF looking for people with gear that's 10 iLevels above what drops for the thing he wants to farm is a strong and valid reference point to raiding in general.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah one weirdo setting up something in PF looking for people with gear that's 10 iLevels above what drops for the thing he wants to farm is a strong and valid reference point to raiding in general.

For what reference points I have, kind of? Also I don't really have the schedule for a static when I get to that point, so that leaves me with PF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Cross-world PF and Zurvan clued me in to how bad the general playerbase is when there were learning and clear parties setting 260/265 for such an easy fight.

I mean I knew how bad my server has been, with queueing with people from my FC and shared linkshells for it and previous content, but nothing that awful.

I think a lot of it is how poisonous guides can be. Telling people it's easier to run a single tank and if they can skip soar had basically cemented it as the only strategy for the days after the patch dropped. Turns out a lot of people seemingly just aren't good enough to handle phase pushing strats or party compositions that rely on anything except the standard 2/2/4 make up. But they're simultaneously too stubborn to just do it the intended way because MrHappy or somebody said to do it a different way.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 28, 2017

• Locked thread