Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I'm not sure that there is much overlap in the venn diagram of people who are interested in deep cuts from the old days and people who can't already play those games 10 different ways for free

e: that's to say, I don't think nintendo has the incentive to do it, not that it wouldn't be good if they did

The issue is more that the people who own all the obscure poo poo can't or can't be bothered to re-release it on VC or anywhere else.

Wii U/3DS got some neat oddities here and there - Nintendo dropped a few unreleased localisations in a couple regions, some odd obscurities appeared, etc. I mean, they had a whole Direct hightlight spot for the release of Summer Carnival '92 Recca, of all games.

The broader issue is their emulation got worse going from Wii to Wii U so even if they'd gone all out I probably wouldn't have bought most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The issue is more that the people who own all the obscure poo poo can't or can't be bothered to re-release it on VC or anywhere else.

Wii U/3DS got some neat oddities here and there - Nintendo dropped a few unreleased localisations in a couple regions, some odd obscurities appeared, etc. I mean, they had a whole Direct hightlight spot for the release of Summer Carnival '92 Recca, of all games.

The broader issue is their emulation got worse going from Wii to Wii U so even if they'd gone all out I probably wouldn't have bought most of it.

Pretty sure Recca was a Hanabi Festival release on the Wii VC first, as were the other obscurities. Except Earthbound Zero's unreleased localization, because who the gently caress saw that coming?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure Recca was a Hanabi Festival release on the Wii VC first, as were the other obscurities. Except Earthbound Zero's unreleased localization, because who the gently caress saw that coming?

Nah, Recca is only on 3DS.

Nintendo put out other stuff like Nazo no Murasamejou and the bigger publishers like Konami and Capcom put out stuff for the older platforms that weren't on Wii. The lack of variety was evident but the people who did bother to show up put in a little more effort than last time.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Rirse posted:

Your not happy with stuff like the WiiU VC release for this week, which consisted of Flying Warriors, Kung Fu Heroes, or Little Ninja Brothers?

No that's totally great, it's just kind of the exception rather than the rule looking at the list

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, Recca is only on 3DS.

Nintendo put out other stuff like Nazo no Murasamejou and the bigger publishers like Konami and Capcom put out stuff for the older platforms that weren't on Wii. The lack of variety was evident but the people who did bother to show up put in a little more effort than last time.

I stand corrected. I actually think farming the job out a dedicated company should do some good in that regard though, because it means the third-party companies could theoretically just go "here's a copy of our game/source-code, make it work so we make money for no effort :homebrew:".

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
True, it getting three games in a row and not say 'this week you get Urban Combat....and that's it".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The reason Nintendo didn't release a lot of VC stuff you don't already own is because that's the stuff that sells. I think it was wired who was talking to publishers about VC and several of them reported that anything that wasn't a super popular title were getting triple or double digit sales figures in some cases. Koei I think specifically said they didn't even make back the money they spent to get Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Wall of Fire rated by ESRB back.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Like it's kinda weird that you remove games just cause they're "not interesting" to you or whatever to make your case, also seriously the virtual console?

Well, if I'd wanted to be mean i could've pointed out that you put Shadows of the Empire and AeroGauge on your list of good games.

fishmech posted:

Yeah like Virtual Console selection still loving sucks and there's no excuse after like 11 years of it..

If it lets me play Sin and Punishment and Ogre Battle 64 without keeping a Nintendo 64 around, it can't be all bad.

Actually, that's a good question. Amid all of the upscaling flashcart trinitron talk, how many of you buy older stuff on the Virtual Console?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Out of all the "pay for ROMs" things the only one I really ever supported was the original Wii VC, and I still use it, it's weird to think of now but back in the day releasing TG16 games and stuff like that was seen as pretty wild and I enthusiastically bought games I liked just because, holy poo poo someone is recognizing some old weird games that I like. When VC games for the Wii were still being released I checked nearly every release and if there was something I liked I got it and now I have a pretty nice collection on my Wii without piracy. I got disillusioned with it with the Wii U (and kind of the 3DS) and the fact that I had to start all over on there again, or have some games on one system and some on another because they were only released on one system, so apart from a few things on 3DS I never really bothered with VC on anything other than the Wii.

I do like having my little curated collection on there in a small package I can bring wherever but let's not act like this isn't something we could do a whole lot better now with a RPi or whatever, I'm not really sure why Nintendo's restrictive VC is anything anyone in this thread still cares about to be honest, though it's nice that it exists I guess

Kid Fenris posted:

Well, if I'd wanted to be mean i could've pointed out that you put Shadows of the Empire and AeroGauge on your list of good games.

Because I personally like those games dude, jesus you are a snob

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I stand corrected. I actually think farming the job out a dedicated company should do some good in that regard though, because it means the third-party companies could theoretically just go "here's a copy of our game/source-code, make it work so we make money for no effort :homebrew:".

The technical work was "farmed out" to the extent it is now since the very beginning (NERD does some of it now, NST does a lot, M2 does bits and pieces) and the process to getting your games on VC is basically as described - you don't self-publish, you submit your game to Nintendo along with some other bullshit and they may or may not license it from you and release it per their own schedule, but there are a million boring little factors that can impede the schedule or any technical/licensing roadblocks or what have you.

The other issue that doesn't come up is profitability - in short, there's very little profit to be made from a VC game (or PS Classics or equivalent services) and therefore very little incentive for the smaller players to even bother, no matter how much or how little work is involved on their end.

I'd honestly prefer Nintendo ditched VC, re-released their own games without any particular segregation and left other legacy publishers to re-release their old poo poo in whichever format suits them best.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh what? There's no job. The emulator is already written, they just need to put up a ROM to download. No source code mucking about or recompiling is needed.

The only ones that needed a level of game specific support were some N64 titles on the Wii, mostly because the system was too slow for a single generic emulator for the N64. However you could inject other N64 roms into most of those and they'd run fine.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The reason Nintendo didn't release a lot of VC stuff you don't already own is because that's the stuff that sells. I think it was wired who was talking to publishers about VC and several of them reported that anything that wasn't a super popular title were getting triple or double digit sales figures in some cases. Koei I think specifically said they didn't even make back the money they spent to get Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Wall of Fire rated by ESRB back.

It's more that to even get to a popular game it takes years and years from a console's release. Like take Dig Dug for instance. The NES game wasn't released in North America through Virtual Console until 2008,and then they didn't release Dig Dug II for the NES to the virtual console until 2016 on the Wii U.

Not to mention that there's nothing forcing Nintendo to require ESRB ratings for these downloadable titles, just like Steam doesn't require it nor did Microsoft require it for XBLIG titles (it's a requirement for local ratings boards to check things in some other countries, but who cares?).

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Because I personally like those games dude, jesus you are a snob

Hey now, we're all friends here. Tell you what. I'll give AeroGauge another chance (and borrow an N64) the next time I see it on the cheap racks with Knife Edge: Nose Gunner and a bunch of wrestling games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Well my AGS-101 arrived today.

I'm already planning on getting Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and probably MK Super Circuit as well. Any other GBA/GBC recommendations?

Run down this list https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-new-essentials-gameboy-advance.262264/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Nintendo should probably do a Nintendo Netflix instead of selling things piecemeal. Tennis for the NES isn't worth a dollar (or just about anything), but bundled in with another ~500 titles or so for about fiver a month and suddenly it has value again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there any cool english translations for the NES besides the obvious like Mother 1, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, and the Fire Emblem games?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Joy Mech Fight has the best story mode.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Hey now, we're all friends here. Tell you what. I'll give AeroGauge another chance (and borrow an N64) the next time I see it on the cheap racks with Knife Edge: Nose Gunner and a bunch of wrestling games.

lmao dude you're such a haughty little weirdo, I don't need the poo poo I like to be blessed with your approval. I'm sorry you can't get what I do out of whatever thing but I'm sure there are things you like that don't have a 100% consensus on their quality, unless you really do get your taste from racketboy lists

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rirse posted:

Is there any cool english translations for the NES besides the obvious like Mother 1, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, and the Fire Emblem games?

Terrible Biomonster Jesus

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That one is because the games are priced absurdly high for what you're getting. First, they're competing with a price of free (even though they're in complete denial about that), so the thing that people will pay for is convenience and that isn't worth the price they're charging. Second, while people will pay five dollars for Super Mario Bros 3, they're not paying that for Urban Champion. The rigid price structure is just plain stupid. VC releases should be priced for impulse buys. Something that makes a person go, "Oh yeah, I liked playing X as a kid!" and then they fork over a dollar or two because they don't even notice the price.

Nintendo has been making the classic mistake of content producers massively overvaluing their own content. Some things still aren't going to be viable (sorry Koei strategy game fans), but pricing things reasonably would improve the system for everybody.

SwissCM posted:

Nintendo should probably do a Nintendo Netflix instead of selling things piecemeal. Tennis for the NES isn't worth a dollar (or just about anything), but bundled in with another ~500 titles or so for about fiver a month and suddenly it has value again.

I thought they did announce a program like that for the Switch.

Another option is going for archival releases. Make collections that are targeted at the high end guys. Put out a library series where it's everything Nintendo released in a given year with tons of ancillary material.

Rirse posted:

Final Fantasy 7.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Sweet Home, directed by Fujiwara who later made Resident Evil. It's basically the prototype for the Resident Evil series in a lot of ways.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

I thought they did announce a program like that for the Switch.

You get one NES or SNES game (that "will" have some sort of online functionality) with your Nintendo Network subscription per month. Except, unlike PS+/Games With Gold, you only have it for that month, even if your sub stays active. So uh.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

You get one NES or SNES game (that "will" have some sort of online functionality) with your Nintendo Network subscription per month. Except, unlike PS+/Games With Gold, you only have it for that month, even if your sub stays active. So uh.

Reminds me of Sega Channel

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

Yeah like Virtual Console selection still loving sucks and there's no excuse after like 11 years of it.

Plus we're at the point where the web browser on the Xbox One can run HTML5 based emulators at full speed, it's crazy. (This also works on PS4's browser too I think, but I don't have one to test with). No need to even hack poo poo, it's just right there online. This won't let you run like N64 games or newer but it's still nice.

What? Liiiiiink please

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Monitor Burn posted:

Sweet Home, directed by Fujiwara who later made Resident Evil. It's basically the prototype for the Resident Evil series in a lot of ways.

If you're going to play this three tips:

Items are picked up in the middle slots, weapons in the bottom slot.

If a teammate falls off a board use "team" to pick them up.

"Pray" is a powerful attack and also a way to help if something bad is happening to you.

Very advanced mechanics for the game given that it's still an NES game.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

Rirse posted:

Chronicle of the Radia War is a neat action-RPG with impressive late-stage NES graphics. The characters move a little slow, though.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/radia/radia.htm

It was supposed to come out here as Tower of Radia, but Tecmo canceled the US version. I think there's a prototype floating around out there in addition to the fan translation.

d0s posted:

lmao dude you're such a haughty little weirdo, I don't need the poo poo I like to be blessed with your approval. I'm sorry you can't get what I do out of whatever thing but I'm sure there are things you like that don't have a 100% consensus on their quality, unless you really do get your taste from racketboy lists

Well, if that's your attitude, I'll just get Iggy's Reckin Balls instead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

d0s posted:

I got disillusioned with it with the Wii U (and kind of the 3DS) and the fact that I had to start all over on there again, or have some games on one system and some on another because they were only released on one system

PC gaming is too expensive. Brb, new console out gotta rebuild my whole collection again.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Awesome, going to try those games out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Social Dissonance posted:

If you're going to play this three tips:

Items are picked up in the middle slots, weapons in the bottom slot.

If a teammate falls off a board use "team" to pick them up.

"Pray" is a powerful attack and also a way to help if something bad is happening to you.

Very advanced mechanics for the game given that it's still an NES game.

Also, one thing that is useful is to make a habit of keeping everybody fairly close together and using Call to get the party together every time you're in combat. It makes sure you're at full strength and everybody gets experience.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rirse posted:

Awesome, going to try those games out.

Add Lagrange Point to your list. Not a great game by Konami but has some Master System quality music.

Moon Crystal is like someone played Prince of Persia and thought it would make a neat action game if sped up.

And on the subject of advanced RPGs there's Chaos World which is like someone took Final Fantasy and merged it with Ultima.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Well, if that's your attitude, I'll just get Iggy's Reckin Balls instead.

I seriously want to know if you genuinely like any games that would give other people pause, either because you believe they're genuinely good and misunderstood or for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. Personally I think you're gonna respond with more passive-aggressive elitist bullshit but I'd love to be proven wrong and have an actual discussion about games that make us happy despite being critical failures.

For example, I love the Wii racing game "GT Pro Series", it was a port of a Japan only GC game called GT Cube, it was released near the Wii launch and was panned for having lovely bolted-on motion controls, but they could be turned off and the actual game was a quirky cel-shaded thing with a Gran Turismo style massive selection of weird real-world cars and lots of customization but on a way more arcadey engine. You can reliably find this in every bargain bin shovelware section, but I had a blast with it because I just like weird little racing games, it's one of the niches/fixations I think a lot of the people with souls in this hobby have, where you're so happy to see a dev catering to a particular interest or style in a way you haven't seen before that you can overlook things which may enrage people who get paid to write about video games. Does this happen to you?

e:

al-azad posted:

Moon Crystal is like someone played Prince of Persia and thought it would make a neat action game if sped up.

word to this, it's real good

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 28, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

That one is because the games are priced absurdly high for what you're getting. First, they're competing with a price of free (even though they're in complete denial about that), so the thing that people will pay for is convenience and that isn't worth the price they're charging. Second, while people will pay five dollars for Super Mario Bros 3, they're not paying that for Urban Champion. The rigid price structure is just plain stupid. VC releases should be priced for impulse buys. Something that makes a person go, "Oh yeah, I liked playing X as a kid!" and then they fork over a dollar or two because they don't even notice the price.

Nintendo has been making the classic mistake of content producers massively overvaluing their own content. Some things still aren't going to be viable (sorry Koei strategy game fans), but pricing things reasonably would improve the system for everybody.

They could even leave the prices high and then just run intermittent sales. Like hell, I bought a bunch of Genesis games on Steam that I don't particularly care about because they were price-cut to like 49-89 cents each a couple months back.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? Liiiiiink please

https://nesbox.itch.io/x1

This is the main one. It's optimized for the controller and can load ROMs from your OneDrive storage.

It does NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. However GBA and some SNES games have speed issues. There's also a bunch of other random HTML5/javascript based emulators out there, but this is by far the best on the Xbox One.

(There was a javascript Game Boy emulator up for a while that ran fine on the Xbox 360's browser, but it seems to have been taken down)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

https://nesbox.itch.io/x1

This is the main one. It's optimized for the controller and can load ROMs from your OneDrive storage.

It does NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. However GBA and some SNES games have speed issues. There's also a bunch of other random HTML5/javascript based emulators out there, but this is by far the best on the Xbox One.

(There was a javascript Game Boy emulator up for a while that ran fine on the Xbox 360's browser, but it seems to have been taken down)

Nice, is this the same one for PS4 or is there a different one for that?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

I must have failed.

d0s posted:

I seriously want to know if you genuinely like any games that would give other people pause, either because you believe they're genuinely good and misunderstood or for nostalgic/sentimental reasons. Personally I think you're gonna respond with more passive-aggressive elitist bullshit but I'd love to be proven wrong and have an actual discussion about games that make us happy despite being critical failures.

Then maybe you shouldn't get huffy just because I disparaged the legacy of Dash Rendar.

I like a lot of not-so-great or critically panned games. Off the top of my head: Wurm, Fester's Quest, Rollergames, Chester Field, The Mafat Conspiracy, Vay, Fiend Hunter, The TV Show, Tiny Tank, Blaster Master: Blasting Again, Advance Guardian Heroes, Drakengard 2, Lost in Shadow, and a lot of lousy 1990s fighting games, most of all good ol' BloodStorm. Really, it has a lot of neat ideas buried in the gore.

I actually think that most games, even bad ones, are fun to play for at least a little while. But when we start talking about standouts of a system's library, i.e. the reasons to own or keep said system, my lists get short.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice, is this the same one for PS4 or is there a different one for that?

Like I said, I don't have a PS4 of my own so I haven't been able to test it. It might work or it might not, and there's several other HTML5/javascript emulators out there, though some only respond to keyboard commands (you can of course use USB keyboards fine on both systems).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Good news: there's a second game that appears to have been accidently placed in your order!

Bad news: it's LEGO Battles Ninjago.

I suspect that the seller may have just quietly slipped it into the case to try to get rid of it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Good news: there's a second game that appears to have been accidently placed in your order!

Bad news: it's LEGO Battles Ninjago.

I suspect that the seller may have just quietly slipped it into the case to try to get rid of it.

I do this all the time when selling stuff on eBay. A few people get really excited and email me personally as a thank you. One dude was really upset about his surprise boxed copy of Madden '95.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

d0s posted:

it's one of the niches/fixations I think a lot of the people with souls in this hobby have, where you're so happy to see a dev catering to a particular interest or style in a way you haven't seen before that you can overlook things which may enrage people who get paid to write about video games. Does this happen to you?

yeah for me a lot, and I think it's what people should harness when they make their retro game videos and blogs and books. but I don't explode into the duke of defensive when someone online ribs me about it

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Public service notice - Hyperspin is hard if you are bad at computers like me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cosmicjim posted:

Public service notice - Hyperspin is hard if you are bad at computers like me.

Hyperspin is a loving full-time job even if you are, there's so much to do and if you're really OCD there's basically no end to the madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I've actually heard really good things about LaunchBox. Has anyone here tried it?

• Locked thread