Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Eternal Punishment was on the josei shelf way back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Yeah Ar Tonelico still had stuff in there for the fujo crowd. Like Targana in AT2.
i think also the focus on character songs and deep emotions portrayed through music are pretty appealing to a female demo too. that's just me guesstimating tho but when i've talked to other female fans it's pretty much always the music that's brought them in.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mallamp posted:

Women playing JRPG's other than FF/KH, what is this madness?

I like all jrpgs :(

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Alder posted:

Heresy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Alder posted:

even the bad ones?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What the hell is 'high impact sexual violence' in the context of these games?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bogart posted:

It's a joke about some of the Arland games' ratings in australia.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bogart posted:

Australia rated Atelier Rorona as having "high impact sexual violence" due to a (honestly pretty lovely) scene where a character gets drunk and handsy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

There's a scene in Rorona where a character gets drunk and handsy, which is a dumb gag but not really that extreme. Australia rated the game an M for 'high impact sexual violence' due to that scene.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Endorph posted:

i think also the focus on character songs and deep emotions portrayed through music are pretty appealing to a female demo too. that's just me guesstimating tho but when i've talked to other female fans it's pretty much always the music that's brought them in.

I'm a guy, but one of the things I liked about Ar Tonelico (2 especially) is that despite the harem trappings and the weirdness around diving, the female characters get a lot of agency compared to a lot of other RPGs. Croix in Ar Tonelico 2 is basically there for emotional support while Cloche and Luca, and eventually Jacqli, drive the plot forwards. You also get a good amount of development in the relationships between supporting characters, completely independent of Croix. Compare that to, say, Persona 4, where it feels everything revolves around the MC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"drunk and handsy" is not a phrase I expected to see appear in two completely separate explanations at the same time I admit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Also RPGs in general are popular with women. I haven't done big research, but I've seen western surveys where RPG was one of the genres that leaned a bit more towards women than men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Also RPGs in general are popular with women. I haven't done big research, but I've seen western surveys where RPG was one of the genres that leaned a bit more towards women than men.

Yeah, this was true as far back as the 90s where it was a stereotype even then. (Not in the least I remember angry people in the early days of the internets complaining about people getting excited for "faggy girl games' like FF7.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I'm a guy, but one of the things I liked about Ar Tonelico (2 especially) is that despite the harem trappings and the weirdness around diving, the female characters get a lot of agency compared to a lot of other RPGs. Croix in Ar Tonelico 2 is basically there for emotional support while Cloche and Luca, and eventually Jacqli, drive the plot forwards. You also get a good amount of development in the relationships between supporting characters, completely independent of Croix. Compare that to, say, Persona 4, where it feels everything revolves around the MC.
yeah ar tonelico has some weird beats but i think the character writing is actually really strong throughout the series. even 3, which is a freaking bizarre game, really nails some of its character beats and moments. i'd say its one fault is that the protagonists themselves can be kind of bland, but unlike p3/p4 they have at least some personality to the point you can understand why people rely on them the way they do.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I suspected the answer was VN, but I couldn't think of any catering to women off the top of my head. I assume that if I cared at all about VN, it would have been easier.

ImpAtom posted:

"drunk and handsy" is not a phrase I expected to see appear in two completely separate explanations at the same time I admit.

MT Megathread -- This time all the students are drunk and handsy

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

even the bad ones?

they're memorable :monocle:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Megami Tensei Megathread -- This time all the students are criminals

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is kind of random question but looking at the MegaTen Wiki already spoiled me somewhat....

Is King Leo having almost an identical name to the protagonist (who he also shares a history with) really a coincidence? Tatsuya Suo vs. Tatsuya Sudo. I mean, is it a really common name in Japan or something?

Of course, you can rename Tatsuya into a billion different things that don't resemble Leo's name but I didn't so it really bugs me.

Also apparently he's Joker in EP. I didn't read beyond that but I assume that's a big spoiler. Bleh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sudou has no deeper relationship to Tatsuya than being a villainous foil to Tatsuya and also being the arsonist responsible for a lot of terrible poo poo happening to Tatsuya. Aside from the King Leo persona the only time both Tatsuya's met was when he got blinded by Vulcanus when Tatsuya was a kid.

Also stop going onto the wiki and play the games. The wikis are poorly managed to poo poo and have spoilers for games in pages that have classification relations to games and nothing else. Hell, just going on certain Tarot pages will spoil poo poo from P5 in the table of contents, it's not a good place to go if you are trying to not get stuff dumped on you. I know more than a few people who got spoiled coming across a recurring demon in Megaten on P5's big plot twist.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 28, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Sudou has no deeper relationship to Tatsuya than being a villainous foil to Tatsuya. Aside from the King Leo persona the only time both Tatsuya's met was when he got blinded by Vulcanus when Tatsuya was a kid.

That's a pretty pivotal moment of the game, though? Like, everyone remembering what they did to Maya and Tatsuya and then those two subsequently meeting the other Tatsuya has been the most significant development in all of IS where left off. (just had the boss fight with Shadow Yukino and Anna)

Captain Baal posted:

Also stop going onto the wiki and play the games. The wikis are poorly managed to poo poo and have spoilers for games in pages that have classification relations to games and nothing else. Hell, just going on certain Tarot pages will spoil poo poo from P5 in the table of contents, it's not a good place to go if you are trying to not get stuff dumped on you.

I can't play P2 anymore right now unfortunately because my computer speakers broke. I just wondered if Sudou had any further role in the game since I thought we killed him.

Still, you're right. I should have known better.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 28, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

That's a pretty pivotal moment of the game, though?

Sudou himself does not actually matter. He is a catalyst for triggering the events of the past and an obstacle to remind the characters of their past, once he is dealt with he is dealt with and no one cares about him anymore. It's sort of like how Tatsuya kills Shinji in P3. Tatsuya himself does not matter in any of the characters emotional changes and development, he is merely the man that fired the gun. Tatsuya's personal agency and identity do not matter for poo poo to the cast except maybe Mitsuru. EP is an entirely different kind of story that I have no frame of reference for so whatever it does with Sudou and him being Joker there, idk. I'm hoping to actually make an effort to play EP this year finally, but I have so much poo poo backlogged already I still might not get to it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I also have to wonder why Hashino thought it was a good idea to create another Tatsuya after a game came out where there were already two Tatsuyas.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
gently caress the megami wiki god I'm still bitter

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I also have to wonder why Hashino thought it was a good idea to create another Tatsuya after a game came out where there were already two Tatsuyas.

Speaking of which, as a newcomer to the SMT fandom, I should probably learn the names of notable Atlus personnel.

Like, does Atlus have a Final Fantasy's Nojima who has written many of their games? Is there a new writer or director who work on newer stuff compared to classic SMT or Persona?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Captain Baal posted:

Hell, just going on certain Tarot pages will spoil poo poo from P5 in the table of contents, it's not a good place to go if you are trying to not get stuff dumped on you. I know more than a few people who got spoiled coming across a recurring demon in Megaten on P5's big plot twist.

Back when I was hyped to get P4G for my birthday, I was reading about the tarot cards on the wiki and straight up got spoiled on the identity of the killer. :( I've learned to not read wikis any more before I finish a game.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of which, as a newcomer to the SMT fandom, I should probably learn the names of notable Atlus personnel.

Like, does Atlus have a Final Fantasy's Nojima who has written many of their games? Is there a new writer or director who work on newer stuff compared to classic SMT or Persona?

A quick list of the big names would be something like:

Okada "Cozy" Kouji - one of Atlus's founders and director for the original SMT games and a fair number of spin-offs
Kazuma Kaneko - art director and responsible for almost all of the demon designs, as well as character designs and artwork for early SMT and Persona games
Katsura Hashino - started as a planner for the PS and Saturn games and then went on to direct and produce Persona 3-5 as well as SMT3
Shoji Meguro - responsible for almost all the music in the series from the original Persona and on (before that music was mostly composed by Tsukasa Masuko)
Shigenori Soejima - art director and character designer for Persona 3-5, which is why they look distinctly different from the first two Personas

There's other ones like Masayuki Doi (concept art/character design) and Tadashi Satomi (scenario writer for Persona 1-2), but those are the biggest ones.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Sudou is probably a pun on the English prefix 'pseudo', since Sudou is an evil mirror to Tatsuya in a manner similar to Adachi and the P4 protagonist.

And yes, Sudou's role in Innocent Sin makes more sense when you play Eternal Punishment.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they had just released that PSP version I'd have already done it, but alas the idea of playing EP on my Vita with no speedup and some hitching from PS classics is not an enticing idea to me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PeaceDiner posted:

Okada "Cozy" Kouji - one of Atlus's founders and director for the original SMT games and a fair number of spin-offs
Kazuma Kaneko - art director and responsible for almost all of the demon designs, as well as character designs and artwork for early SMT and Persona games
Katsura Hashino - started as a planner for the PS and Saturn games and then went on to direct and produce Persona 3-5 as well as SMT3
Shoji Meguro - responsible for almost all the music in the series from the original Persona and on (before that music was mostly composed by Tsukasa Masuko)
Shigenori Soejima - art director and character designer for Persona 3-5, which is why they look distinctly different from the first two Personas

There's other ones like Masayuki Doi (concept art/character design) and Tadashi Satomi (scenario writer for Persona 1-2), but those are the biggest ones.

Funnily enough, most of them have cameos in P2. For instance, The Demon Painter is Kazuma Kaneko.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also no one mentioned Satomi Tadashi who was a pretty big part of P1 and P2 as the scenario writers of both games and has his name reference in shops and a character in those games.

Iirc correctly Sudou was written as a hot take on the japanese political system where murderers and serial killers could be let back into society if they had a mental condition.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Sudou is probably a pun on the English prefix 'pseudo', since Sudou is an evil mirror to Tatsuya in a manner similar to Adachi and the P4 protagonist.

And yes, Sudou's role in Innocent Sin makes more sense when you play Eternal Punishment.

This may or may not be related to the Tarot concept of reversed cards. It's never been clear to me how big a role the Arcana are really supposed to play.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Baal posted:

Also no one mentioned Satomi Tadashi who was a pretty big part of P1 and P2 as the scenario writers of both games and has his name reference in shops and a character in those games.

~Hitto Pointo kaifuku suru nara
Kizugusuri to hogyoku de~

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

DalaranJ posted:

This may or may not be related to the Tarot concept of reversed cards. It's never been clear to me how big a role the Arcana are really supposed to play.

Sudou's Persona (in IS) is specifically called Reverse Vulcanus, so I'd say it's not a coincidence.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I guess I definitely have to get EP off PSN next month now. I kinda liked him and felt his rather early death was a waste.

I'm determined to finish the duology. It helps I'm kind of more onboard with Innocent Sin now. As slow as P2's gameplay is, now that it feels like stuff is actually happening, I'm enjoying it more. (Well I was until I had to stop but whatever)

PeaceDiner posted:

Awesome, thank you.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If it's not a sight problem, the LP of EP on the archives is pretty good. I cant remember if IS is on there too.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bogart posted:

If it's not a sight problem, the LP of EP on the archives is pretty good. I cant remember if IS is on there too.

There shouldn't be a problem with my sight but I never read or watch LP's of games I actually want to play.

I mean, I've already had it recommended to me I just watch the games on YouTube or whatever because "the story and characters are so good they have to be experienced but no one should be subjected to P2's gameplay" but I've come this far in Innocent Sin. I think I can manage going through EP as well.

I dunno, it just feels wrong to watch a video game that is supposed to be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it depends on the game. "Good" and "Interesting" don't always go hand-in-hand. Deadly Premonition is a great example of that.

Hell, even in terms of games I like a lot, I can't actually say someone is wrong for reading a LP of trails in the sky over playing it considering how slow-paced it is.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I think it depends on the game. "Good" and "Interesting" don't always go hand-in-hand. Deadly Premonition is a great example of that.

Also SGF is a great LPer and I've watched him play XBLIG along with Bejeweled demos. I've given up on Nocturne and read the LP because I got tired of amala network and it's a good way to check alt endings or side quests you're just too tired to do.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do have to admit, I am kind of getting sick of Fuuka. I mean, I know Akihiko is hurt so shut up already. I really enjoyed it when Mitsuru was the advice person but I get the feeling this might just become tedious no matter who's doing it.

Is this "Rise" in P4 any more tolerable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to admit, I am kind of getting sick of Fuuka. I mean, I know Akihiko is hurt so shut up already. I really enjoyed it when Mitsuru was the advice person but I get the feeling this might just become tedious no matter who's doing it.

Is this "Rise" in P4 any more tolerable?

she's the best