Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

How difficult is the Sinspawn Triad fight for someone who usually does not complete the last two Ultimates in each event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Man the timing on this CPU fight is fuckin' obnoxious.
Have you considered cheating and bursting him down in phase 1 before his countdown ends? If you have enough native DPS and RW something like firion bsb you can do it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Have you considered cheating and bursting him down in phase 1 before his countdown ends? If you have enough native DPS and RW something like firion bsb you can do it.

Well huh, didn't realize that was an option. Although all my best DPS is AoE, so I probably couldn't pull that off. It's really weird how few single-target physical BSBs there are compared to magic ones.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

IllegallySober posted:

How difficult is the Sinspawn Triad fight for someone who usually does not complete the last two Ultimates in each event?

It was the first ultimate I've done, so it's hard for me to gauge relative difficulty. I did it with a team < lvl 65. Had native wall, no boost, RW asylum. Hardest part was that it's kind of an endurance match, rough with low hones. Major regen was handy. Wall and proshell kept damage reasonable, no real gimmick other than wanting good aoe.

I think the last fight did a strong party gravity attack early, so save a heal for that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know that it's been brought up before but the verdict seemed unclear to me, is it better to osb->full charge wih TG Cid or osb->lifesiphon until another osb? or perhaps osb->full charge until you run out of hones, then lifesiphon until -> osb, in my case

i do like how if you use his second record materia on someone for clearing trash waves on auto it displays "god among men" in a big title before each attack

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CaptainPsyko posted:

1) Full Charge. Aegis Strike is not very good unless you're dealing with AoE holy vulnerability. Saints Cross is better. (But not as good as Full Charge with Powerchain or TG mode)

2) TG mode doesn't have commands. It's not a burst. It causes all of your actions to cast in 1/3rd the time for 25 seconds, which is great for spamming Full Charge, subsequent OSB casts, or Orlandeau BSB commands.

Thanks a ton for the reply! I will hold off on honing Aegis Strike.

I also finally beat the CPU and Atomos nightmare bosses today. Once I got the timing down on CPU it was super easy but it took a lot of tries. Atomos was literally glass cannon Zerg rush with 2 OSBs and good RNG with Dismissal.

I think I might try to get Curada next. I don't have a good enough mage team to get Meltdown yet but Guardian is a stupid hot potato gimmick that I think I can learn if I watch a couple videos.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Decided to forget the tactics banner anf pulled on the summoner one. I only got one 5*, but it's krile's sheep song! Now I finally have enough ffv magic poo poo to field exdeath and krile, and I now have a ffv hastega! As well as one of the best faithgas in the game. :toot:

I'd still like a healer bsb or some other poo poo on the banner, but there's no way I'd get another 50 mythril by the time it leaves.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I am stuck on this stupid SinSpawn fight in the FFX event. I tried running a mage team and couldn't do enough damage, went with a stronger physical team and made it all the way to the last Sin dude but ate it thanks to insufficient mitigation/healing. I've got Orlandeau drawtaliating, which has been great for the physical attacks, but these guys casting Bio does a crapload of damage through Shell+Wall, even after using Breakdowns/Dances. I'm using Yuna's Miracle Veil as my medica, I don't have a medica burst and the synergy+HP-stock seemed like a good idea. My team is:
Orlandeau drawtaliating and using his BSB
Tidus with his OSB
Ramza shouting at people to KILL FAST
Yuna healing
Faris dancing/using her Fullbreak BSB
RW Wall

I don't have any really strong sources of AOE damage. I've got Maduin and the 3 star summons, Garnet's milquetoast BSB, some SSB options that do AOE damage and/or mitigation, but on a bunch of characters I'm afraid are too squishy to take the spells that keep kicking my butt.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

KPC_Mammon posted:

I put together a kinda half-assed mage meta team and blew through a couple of fights far faster than my Luneth BSB + Greg BSB + Ramza Shout team ever could. I think I want to pick up more mage meta relics.

So far I have:
Quistis's BSB, which is ridiculously good.
Terra's OSB and (underwhelming) BSB. The OSB hits hard enough with prep that I've seen it damage cap against ultimate bosses.

Is Terra "good enough" at filling a DPS role without her Tiara?

What are important mage meta hones, once you get past the initial breakdown/proshellga required skills.
Well, you have your Ja 4* spells and you'll have your Chain-ga 5* spells as they become available.

I absolutely covet Terra's Tiara for the +10 magic as much as the enfire it gives her. That said, I don't have it but she still hits like a truck. As you master her soul breaks, SSB and higher give you +10 magic each time. Her OSB is such a massive pile of stats that even without combining it it's more powerful than even my reforged relics. (so of course I throw rosetta stones into it)

If you choose to dive her deep into the record spheres, (and probably nearly anybody qualifies for this) you're going to get some hefty returns. She'll have beefy HP at level 99 to go with high magic, and even though the BSB doesn't do anything special she can crank out good fire damage with it and hit the rare water weakness when necessary.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Cowcaster posted:

i know that it's been brought up before but the verdict seemed unclear to me, is it better to osb->full charge wih TG Cid or osb->lifesiphon until another osb? or perhaps osb->full charge until you run out of hones, then lifesiphon until -> osb, in my case

i do like how if you use his second record materia on someone for clearing trash waves on auto it displays "god among men" in a big title before each attack

I have no idea on the actual math, but I'd figure you would get better throughput using OSB into Lifesiphon into more OSB usages. However, that's just a simpleton assumption, so YMMV.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Wow, I managed to beat the Torment 250 before the thing went away. That felt pretty good to beat the poo poo of that thing. That was HARD.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I am stuck on this stupid SinSpawn fight in the FFX event. I tried running a mage team and couldn't do enough damage, went with a stronger physical team and made it all the way to the last Sin dude but ate it thanks to insufficient mitigation/healing. I've got Orlandeau drawtaliating, which has been great for the physical attacks, but these guys casting Bio does a crapload of damage through Shell+Wall, even after using Breakdowns/Dances. I'm using Yuna's Miracle Veil as my medica, I don't have a medica burst and the synergy+HP-stock seemed like a good idea. My team is:
Orlandeau drawtaliating and using his BSB
Tidus with his OSB
Ramza shouting at people to KILL FAST
Yuna healing
Faris dancing/using her Fullbreak BSB
RW Wall

I don't have any really strong sources of AOE damage. I've got Maduin and the 3 star summons, Garnet's milquetoast BSB, some SSB options that do AOE damage and/or mitigation, but on a bunch of characters I'm afraid are too squishy to take the spells that keep kicking my butt.

That sounds strange. Are you sure wall isn't wearing off? Only thing I can think is maybe you're spending so many actions on buffs/debuffs that it seems like tidus is the only one really attacking. I only had the basic breakdowns with very low hones and a rw healer (native wall). I basically needed everyone on my team doing damage to win before heals ran out. The add parts don't have a ton of hp, and when they die you're taking much fewer attacks.

Maybe keep draw fire, but use an offensive secondary like lifesiphon on your tank. Ditch the dances and bring another lifesiphon/offensive BSB if you have it. OSBs are really bursty, but what you want is high consistent damage to reduce the number of opponents. Hopefully you have ranged/magic for the last part's head.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

had a bizarre syzygy where i defeated the 200 difficulty multiplayer ultima weapon with one rando doing the damage, me picking up the breaks and healing, and another running wall and other mitigation and it all worked like clockwork. is that basically how multiplayer always works?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

had a bizarre syzygy where i defeated the 200 difficulty multiplayer ultima weapon with one rando doing the damage, me picking up the breaks and healing, and another running wall and other mitigation and it all worked like clockwork. is that basically how multiplayer always works?
Pretty much, if you account for one rando always bringing Cloud and/or Lightning and barely contributing

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my favorite is the guys who bring Tyro, with wall and mako might, and then never use the drat thing

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pretty much, if you account for one rando always bringing Cloud and/or Lightning and barely contributing

there was the fourth guy with auron throwing out some soul break he has repeatedly but i think it wasn't the worst thing possible

edit: banishing blade, which looks like it's an attack/defense break which meant it was stacking with everything else, so yay! everyone was helping

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 28, 2017

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

my favorite is the guys who bring Tyro, with wall and mako might, and then never use the drat thing

My favorite pubbie story was on the 3 waltzes. Someone brought Curaise on a Vanille who also had her BSB. One of my friends was in the raid too and had a Selphie with Dreamstage who got picked on early in the fight. We held out OK for a while but eventually the attackers started going down. This stupid Vanille starts casting Curaise on everyone BUT my friend's Selphie who could have kept other people from dying but nope, gotta make sure the other pubbie Cloud can use his stupid useless OSB because of course that's gonna win us the fight by itself.

Shockingly (not shockingly), we wiped. What a loving idiot.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

Multiplayer for me is joining up with goons, coordinating our stuff, and then blowing it up. The goon discord helps this a lot.

Pubbie runs can be fun as well but I only do them after I've for sure completed it once, and I'll only do the 200 since its 1 stamina.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

way to go steve posted:

Edit: ^ Grats on the win! Did you need a lot of synergy gear? Torment 200 is my next big goal, if I can manage to pull a medica sometime.

I'm sure the synergy gear helped, I have a shield, 3 bracers, and Lulu's hairpin for armor and a million Tidus swords plus a couple rods. More than that, I think keeping up as many breaks as you can stack, never letting Wall drop, and leveling your pay past 80 help a while lot, too. And KO resist accessories, the only reason I made it was because the last regurgitate missed a nearly dead Y'shtola.

I cannot wait to break Alphinaud, he does loving work for me but he's noticeably squishy.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Regurgitate can't kill a character (unless you kill him during Swallow), so Y'shtola would have lived anyway.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
O-oh, um, I totally knew that :downs:

For some reason I thought regurgitate was gravity based, I've been trying that drat fight so much it done fried my brain.

Valth001
Jul 20, 2014

Adel posted:

O-oh, um, I totally knew that :downs:

For some reason I thought regurgitate was gravity based, I've been trying that drat fight so much it done fried my brain.

Regurgitate is gravity based, its just based on current hp instead of maximum hp most of the time.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Finally got that Sin Spawn fight. It was mostly a matter of timing my wall recast and swapping Faris for Onion Knight, and then using the first two rounds to build up SB charges to shove through the last one.
Took out the Ult+ on my second try! I'll probably give Tidus a pass, he used Ultimate Spiral Cut twice and that just doesn't look like fun right now.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Finally got that Sin Spawn fight. It was mostly a matter of timing my wall recast and swapping Faris for Onion Knight, and then using the first two rounds to build up SB charges to shove through the last one.
Took out the Ult+ on my second try! I'll probably give Tidus a pass, he used Ultimate Spiral Cut twice and that just doesn't look like fun right now.

If you have a couple mages leveled up, RWing Cid's BSB completely mulches him. You'd need enough mitigation to survive, but back row + protectga + full break + power breakdown would probably be enough, assuming you don't have a native wall.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Pubbie multiplayer can be fun if you're patient. Some of my more fun runs have been going through bosses where I really thought we had no chance due to missing some element or another, and then still rocking it because the weird odds and ends ended up coming together in an unexpected way. Still have no idea how we managed face guy without a wall.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a brand new player who is about to hit 50 mithril and was wondering if I should go for one of the event banners or one of the "Choice" banners that offers something extra. Are those worthwhile? I really only have the characters from early in the Realm Dungeon unlocks, and I've got the characters from the FFX and FFT events that are on right now (completed Part 1 but can't go much further).

I've also got these shards I can trade for an unlocked hero. Are there any that are recommended for starting out/are relatively harder to get outside of the hero soul shard thingy?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm a brand new player who is about to hit 50 mithril and was wondering if I should go for one of the event banners or one of the "Choice" banners that offers something extra. Are those worthwhile? I really only have the characters from early in the Realm Dungeon unlocks, and I've got the characters from the FFX and FFT events that are on right now (completed Part 1 but can't go much further).

I've also got these shards I can trade for an unlocked hero. Are there any that are recommended for starting out/are relatively harder to get outside of the hero soul shard thingy?

Quick mini reviews of currently open banners, from a newbie perspective.

1) Keeper's Choice 1: Avoid this banner. It's a very old one, and almost all of the relics on it have been obsoleted by general power creep. Easily the worst thing to pull on.

2) Keeper's Choice 2: Unlike the previous one, this banner still holds up and is a solid option. It has a good mix of slightly old relics, but that are still relevant to this day. It gets extra points for having both Platinum Sword FFT (Ramza) and Sentinel Grimoire (Tyro), which are very good buffs to have access to. Platinum Sword for physical team buffing, and Sentinel Grimoire to add defense for pretty much any team. As a bonus you also get to pick a free 5* item, which as a newbie is probably best spent on a shared AoE heal relic (referred to as Medica), at least if you haven't gotten a real character Medica yet. Other option is one of the items that boosts elemental damage, either Fire or Earth. Those are always handy.

3) The two FFX banners: These banners aren't terrible, but I wouldn't recommend them unless you're a huge FFX fan. They're not bad, but neither of the two banners really have anything special either.

4) The Nightmare Relic Draw: This is potentially very good, if a bit narrow. All the relics on it are Super Soul Breaks or above, which is great. The banner only has items for characters with Summon 5* access, which means it's full of mage gear. Many summoners are also white mages, so it's a solid pick for healing items too. Main issue is that the relic pool is pretty wide. Some of the old relics are pretty meh, while some of the newer relic are amazing. And of course, this offers absolutely nothing for physical characters.

5) The FF Tactics banner: Pretty solid banner. It has a huge chase item for Cid Orlandeau, who is probably the best physical character released. All of the relics of Agrias are also great. The downside is that it has a lot of relics for Ovelia, which overlap in function. Getting one would make her a great healer, but getting several of her relics would mean some wasted pulls. Pull if you're a huge FFT fan, or want to gamble for some amazing items. Just keep in mind that bad results on the banner are kind of lackluster.

So tl;dr: Keeper's Choice 2 is good for basic core equipment. The Summon Nightmare banner is great for mage and healer gear. FF Tactics has a chance for absolutely amazing items, at the risk of a total whiff.

And as far as Hero Souls souls go, the rule of thumb is simple: Trade for characters that you get relics for. Say if you Draw a relic for Terra from the Keeper's Choice 2? Then unlock Terra, because you might otherwise have to wait a long time for any given character to reappear. For event banner items and their characters, just first make sure to check if the event already rewards them.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jan 28, 2017

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Attestant posted:

Quick mini reviews of currently open banners, from a newbie perspective.

That's awesome, thanks so much for the breakdown!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

That's awesome, thanks so much for the breakdown!

Also worth a mention: The second anniversary for the game is due in a couple of months. It wouldn't hurt too much to save some mythril for that. It's going to have multiple banners of high quality. Like Japan got like... 8 banners during the event?

Though if you're new, you'll probably want to pull a few times before it regardless, just to build up a solid core of items, so that you can actually do content that awards mythril. :v:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Of note: Keeper's Choice 3 should be coming any day now, and has all (almost all?) of the good relics from KC2, plus some others, and the choosable relic selection is much nicer.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Of note: Keeper's Choice 3 should be coming any day now, and has all (almost all?) of the good relics from KC2, plus some others, and the choosable relic selection is much nicer.

I'd spend your first fifty mythril on the summoner banner. Ideally, you get an AoE healing relic. (Odds are pretty good - about one in three). After that, probably pull once on the Orlandeau banner and then wait for Keepers Choice 3 and pull on that. Then evaluate where you are.

way to go steve
Jan 1, 2010

This is a good point. When you're really new, the first thing you're trying to do is get at least one 5star for all your weapon and armor slots, just because the stats are so much better. The keepers choice freebie pick can be pretty huge for that.

My advice, as someone who started a month ago, would be a pull on KC2, and probably one on KC3 if you can wait a couple days. Other than that, if a banner appeals to you, has characters you like, go ahead and pull. When you have nothing, anything is useful.

If you pick up low stamina mithril from low level dailies, whatever you can do in events, and take advantage of stamina resets in early realm dungeons your first 6+ pulls come pretty drat fast. Check out the discord in the OP if you're interested in trying multiplayer, my experience with that has been fantastic, and you can get good stuff for very little stamina.

And finally, I would recommend against doing more than one pull on any one banner for now. Possible exceptions KC2 or 3. It sucks getting dupes when you're really just looking for more options, and there's always something good coming down the line.

Hi
Oct 10, 2003

:wrong: :coffeepal:
What are the synergy bonuses on some items?

I was trying to roll thunder god stuff and ended up with 3 venetian shields instead... it says it has a synergy bonus to resist three different elemental attacks but I don't know what that actually means... the bonus is only active in tactics realms where the item has synergy?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Hi posted:

What are the synergy bonuses on some items?

I was trying to roll thunder god stuff and ended up with 3 venetian shields instead... it says it has a synergy bonus to resist three different elemental attacks but I don't know what that actually means... the bonus is only active in tactics realms where the item has synergy?

Yes, the bonus is only active when the item has synergy. That can include tactics realms, or when equipped on a character that gets "special" synergy, like in nightmare dungeons or other special dungeons where certain characters and all their equipped gear get synergy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there a way to cheese the kaiser dragon if i don't care about mastery or is he uncheesable

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

is there a way to cheese the kaiser dragon if i don't care about mastery or is he uncheesable

Depends on what you have, but not really. If you have some Fire resist on everybody, a few jas and strong stacking mage boosts and/or mage BSBs you can rush him down instead of paying attention to the gimmicks beyond hitting the orb to help your resists. Most of my damage against him came from a native Alphinaud BSB, and Raines would be better. (I stacked a RW Onion Knight, the +30 Mag/Mind from Yuna, and Braska's bad Sheepsong.) Native magic blink is another good way to ignore his gimmicks, but there's no easy RW solution for him like some bosses.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Cowcaster posted:

The gimmick isn't very difficult, you just need a variety of honed elemental 4* spells and decent relics. It'll poo poo all over you if you try to bring physical damage, so you'd want those abilities anyway.

Just don't use multi target spells or the crystal more than 3 times. Fire resist helps.

I was able to beat it with only 2 5* black mages. Save your OSBs until the third phase.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sega 32X posted:

Braska's bad Sheepsong

Braska's version of Sheepsong is flatly superior to Sheepsong if you have haste from another source like Vessel of Fate. The three Sheepsong-alikes are Krile's Sheepsong(Haste, MAG +30%, High Regen), Papalymo's Ley Lines(Haste, MAG +30%, Quickcast 3), and Braska's Summoner's Dream(MAG +30%, High Regen, Quickcast 3).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

How many magic blinks can you spam in the final phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Last night I was up late and for some reason I just felt good about pulling on FFT. I had just hit 30 mythril, so I spent 12 dollars to do the pull.

4/11
2x Orlandeau OSB
1x Orlandeau BSB
1x Venetian Shield

The moral of this story is to wait until you are just feeling really good about pulling.

• Locked thread