Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I can stream 1080p, obviously it could and should be faster (especially because the prices are hosed) but if all you're doing is watching a video most infrastructures can support you doing that.

i don't think you get what i mean. you usually have to pay upwards of 100 a month to get decent speeds. mine is like 150 for 150/50. if i can get 1000/1000 for say 70 then i have 80 bucks that can go to four or five subscription services.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Americans whining about telecom costs should have a look at the prices in Canada or most other countries.

we invented the internet and are like 31st for speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Hmm, well I lived somewhere for a year and a half where these were the monthly options

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Americans whining about telecom costs should have a look at the prices in Canada or most other countries.

Canada I'll give you but no, America is pretty loving expensive in global terms for high speed internet and has lovely top speeds.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

It's pretty cheap in china. So is mass transit, bus rides across town were about ten cents, here it's over five bucks, each way.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What's most? China has more broadband SUBSCRIBERS, not even users, than the US has people, period, and the price for a monthly household connection is in the 10-20 bucks American range with no limits.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There's also the whole "China censors the internet" ordeal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gonz posted:

There's also the whole "China censors the internet" ordeal.

Sure but unrelated and irrelevant.

got any sevens posted:

It's pretty cheap in china. So is mass transit, bus rides across town were about ten cents, here it's over five bucks, each way.

Bottle of water for 1 yuan (~16c American) and then you get off the plane in the us and its 2.50

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

DeimosRising posted:

Sure but unrelated and irrelevant.

Not when you're talking about internet quality. What good is a gigabit connection when you're behind the great fitewall?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Not when you're talking about internet quality. What good is a gigabit connection when you're behind the great fitewall?

It's not fast and cheap because it's censored doofus

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Vpn's still exist there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Vpn's still exist there.

Just recently made criminal to use.

In general though, the us is crap because weve passed a maelstrom of laws to reduce every avenue to generating an incentive to improving speed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

The soundtrack is so good, an early Hans Zimmer masterpiece. This closing song is a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzB0PqYw1s

The Rock has a great score, but also kind of funny that Zimmer reused parts of it in both Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Chairman Capone posted:

The Rock has a great score, but also kind of funny that Zimmer reused parts of it in both Gladiator and Pirates of the Caribbean.

That's not very meaningful, all composers have a hallmark sound. Danny Elfman and James Horner and John Williams scores all immediately identifiable by a musical tendency. It's the mediocre composers that blend into the background.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hmm, well I lived somewhere for a year and a half where these were the monthly options

I grew up and currently live out in the country, about 2 miles from the city limit of a 80k population college town, and I've resigned myself to the fact that as long as I live here I will never have internet that is both fast and without data caps. We had dial-up for much longer than most people, and when we switched to satellite internet, it was still slow, had a 750MB per day limit before it throttled itself to sub-dialup speeds, and the customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. We now just tether our phones to our laptops and have the highest possible data limit for our phone plan, but it's still only 100 GB for a month (and this includes 6 phones, two iPads, and two personal hotspots for my family, along with my grandparents, and my aunt and uncle who live across the state. Netflix and other streaming services are a pipe dream for me.

which is why this slow trend toward everything being released through streaming is the literal worst thing and i hate it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I grew up and currently live out in the country, about 2 miles from the city limit of a 80k population college town, and I've resigned myself to the fact that as long as I live here I will never have internet that is both fast and without data caps. We had dial-up for much longer than most people, and when we switched to satellite internet, it was still slow, had a 750MB per day limit before it throttled itself to sub-dialup speeds, and the customer service was the worst I've ever experienced. We now just tether our phones to our laptops and have the highest possible data limit for our phone plan, but it's still only 100 GB for a month (and this includes 6 phones, two iPads, and two personal hotspots for my family, along with my grandparents, and my aunt and uncle who live across the state. Netflix and other streaming services are a pipe dream for me.

which is why this slow trend toward everything being released through streaming is the literal worst thing and i hate it

If your area gets AT&T service, Cricket Wireless has an unlimited plan for $70 ($65 if you put your credit card into their autopay thing) that never throttles. You're gonna need a phone that has it's own hotspot or you're gonna have to use one of those weird workaround apps since the carrier doesn't technically support it but it's what i did for my last couple months living there and it never throttled or anything despite me pulling insane numbers like 300gigs of usage in a month.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Not investing into getting decent broadband everywhere is for a country like not investing in railways in the 19th century or a power grid in the early 20th. You are wilfully crippling yourself and your economic power by ignoring the most important infrastructure that is used for everything for the next few decades at least. Yeah, it's expensive opening up the ground yet again to put in new cables, but it is a lot more expensive in the long run if you don't.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Ammanas posted:

The US Netflix selection is total garbage with a few good movies that you and everyone else has seen a half dozen times already
Hahahahahaha you'd poo poo purple if you saw the anemic garbage masquerading as Taiwan's Netflix library then.

otoh our internet is fast, cheap, and uncapped so suck on that one plebs

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Affleck is out as director of The Batman, which has been having production troubles for a while and what looked like Affleck being less and less enthused about being Batman. Matt Reeves is one of the rumored replacements, but who knows at this point

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/ben-affleck-the-batman-will-not-direct-1201971566/

Antoine Fuqua is out as director of the Scarface remake, while Diego Luna is attached to star

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/scarface-reboot-antoine-fuqua-exits-1201973278/

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
At this point I just feel bad for DC.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series

Franchises on this list that are having new entries in 2017:

1. MCU (Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok)
3. Star Wars (Star Wars: The Last Jedi)
6. Batman (The Lego Batman Movie)
7. X-Men (Logan)
8. Spider-Man (Spider-Man: Homecoming)
9. The Fast And The Furious (The Fate Of The Furious)
10. Transformers (Transformers: The Last Knight)
11. Pirates Of The Carribean (Pirates Of The Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales)
19. Despicable Me (Despicable Me 3)
22. DC Extended Universe (Wonder Woman, Justice League)

So, how do you think this list is going to change over the course of the year?

Unless The Last Jedi severely underwhelms, Star Wars will definitely overtake Harry Potter. It's clear that nothing is surpassing Middle Earth; that's simply not within even the most optimistic projection for anything beneath it. Entries 6-11 are basically getting scrambled; I suspect Batman will stay ahead of X-Men because I find it overwhelmingly likely that Lego Batman won't fall $304 million behind Logan. I also suspect that Spider-Man will surpass X-Men and perhaps Batman, though I'm less sure of that; Spider-Man: Homecoming is definitely one of my picks to make over a billion dollars this year. Despicable Me and the DCEU will both obviously jump many places whether their entries this year succeed or fail; we'll just have to see whether it's a little or a lot.

Fifty Shades Of Grey will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Fifty Shades Darker makes a little over 1.5 billion dollars, three times as much as its predecessor. This is exceedingly unlikely. King Kong will likewise make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kong: Skull Island makes 1.5 billion dollars - three times as much as the 2005 remake. Kong: Skull Island will also take Universal's "MonsterVerse" (:barf:) to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.7 billion dollars. Thankfully this is all also exceedingly unlikely. Smurfs will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Smurfs: The Lost Village makes 1.3 billion dollars (about four times the revenue of The Smurfs 2) but this will almost certainly not happen - for one thing, Sony doesn't seem very intent on promoting it. Guardians Of The Galaxy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.5 billion dollars, about double the original - this is at least vaguely realistic, as it now has a built-in audience that didn't exist the first time around. Alien will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Alien: Covenant makes 1 billion dollars, two and a half times what Prometheus made. Unlikely. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Long Haul makes 2 billion dollars, twenty six times the revenue of Dog Days. This is basically guaranteed to happen. The Mummy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Mummy (2017) makes 800 million dollars, a little under double the most profitable movie, The Mummy Returns. This is vaguely realistic (because of inflation) but unlikely. Cars will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Cars 3 makes 1.2 billion dollars, more than double 2011's Cars 2. I would definitely not bet on that one. Amityville will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Amityville: The Awakening makes 2.1 billion dollars. Uh huh. Planet Of The Apes will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if War For The Legend Of The Ape Planet's Gold makes 600 million dollars; this is strikingly likely as 2014's entry, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, made 710 trillion dollars. Lego will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie make more than 1.8 billion dollars in sum. Supremely unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out. Annabelle will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Annabelle 2 makes 2 billion dollars, less than eight times the original! No. The Nut Job will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature makes 2.1 billion dollars. Kill me. Flatliners will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Flatliners 2 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Blade Runner will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Blade Runner 2049 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. My Little Pony will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if My Little Pony: The Movie makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Kingsman will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kingsman 2: Kingsman Queensman makes 1.8 billion dollars, or four and a half times its predecessor's revenue. Kill. Me. Friday The 13th will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Friday The 13th (2009) (2017) makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. Insidious will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Insidious Chapter 4 makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. The Franchise Between Us will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Space Between Us and The Mountain between us make more than 2.2 billion dollars in sum. Jumanji will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Jumanji (Are They Going To Add A Subtitle To That) makes 2 billion dollars. Pitch Perfect will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Pitch Perfect 3 makes 1.8 billion dollars. The Ring will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Rings makes 1.8 billion dollars. John Wick will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if John Wick: Chapter Two makes 2.2 billion dollars. Trainspotting will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Terminator 2: Judgment Day makes 2.2 billion dollars. Table will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Table 19 makes 2.2 billion dollars.

:v:

:regd08: :catdrugs: :downsbravo:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Ok

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

21 Muns posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films#Highest-grossing_franchises_and_film_series

1. MCU (Guardians Of The Galaxy Volume 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok)
7. X-Men (Logan)

Unless The Last Jedi severely underwhelms, Star Wars will definitely overtake Harry Potter. It's clear that nothing is surpassing Middle Earth; that's simply not within even the most optimistic projection for anything beneath it. Entries 6-11 are basically getting scrambled; I suspect Batman will stay ahead of X-Men because I find it overwhelmingly likely that Lego Batman won't fall $304 million behind Logan. I also suspect that Spider-Man will surpass X-Men and perhaps Batman, though I'm less sure of that; Spider-Man: Homecoming is definitely one of my picks to make over a billion dollars this year. Despicable Me and the DCEU will both obviously jump many places whether their entries this year succeed or fail; we'll just have to see whether it's a little or a lot.

Fifty Shades Of Grey will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Fifty Shades Darker makes a little over 1.5 billion dollars, three times as much as its predecessor. This is exceedingly unlikely. King Kong will likewise make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kong: Skull Island makes 1.5 billion dollars - three times as much as the 2005 remake. Kong: Skull Island will also take Universal's "MonsterVerse" (:barf:) to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.7 billion dollars. Thankfully this is all also exceedingly unlikely. Smurfs will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Smurfs: The Lost Village makes 1.3 billion dollars (about four times the revenue of The Smurfs 2) but this will almost certainly not happen - for one thing, Sony doesn't seem very intent on promoting it. Guardians Of The Galaxy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if it makes 1.5 billion dollars, about double the original - this is at least vaguely realistic, as it now has a built-in audience that didn't exist the first time around. Alien will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Alien: Covenant makes 1 billion dollars, two and a half times what Prometheus made. Unlikely. Diary Of A Wimpy Kid will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Long Haul makes 2 billion dollars, twenty six times the revenue of Dog Days. This is basically guaranteed to happen. The Mummy will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Mummy (2017) makes 800 million dollars, a little under double the most profitable movie, The Mummy Returns. This is vaguely realistic (because of inflation) but unlikely. Cars will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Cars 3 makes 1.2 billion dollars, more than double 2011's Cars 2. I would definitely not bet on that one. Amityville will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Amityville: The Awakening makes 2.1 billion dollars. Uh huh. Planet Of The Apes will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if War For The Legend Of The Ape Planet's Gold makes 600 million dollars; this is strikingly likely as 2014's entry, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, made 710 trillion dollars. Lego will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Lego Batman Movie and The Lego Ninjago Movie make more than 1.8 billion dollars in sum. Supremely unlikely, but I'm not going to rule it out. Annabelle will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Annabelle 2 makes 2 billion dollars, less than eight times the original! No. The Nut Job will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Nut Job 2: Nutty By Nature makes 2.1 billion dollars. Kill me. Flatliners will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Flatliners 2 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Blade Runner will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Blade Runner 2049 makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. My Little Pony will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if My Little Pony: The Movie makes 2.2 billion dollars. Kill me. Kingsman will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Kingsman 2: Kingsman Queensman makes 1.8 billion dollars, or four and a half times its predecessor's revenue. Kill. Me. Friday The 13th will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Friday The 13th (2009) (2017) makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. Insidious will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Insidious Chapter 4 makes 1.9 billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made. The Franchise Between Us will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if The Space Between Us and The Mountain between us make more than 2.2 billion dollars in sum. Jumanji will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Jumanji (Are They Going To Add A Subtitle To That) makes 2 billion dollars. Pitch Perfect will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Pitch Perfect 3 makes 1.8 billion dollars. The Ring will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Rings makes 1.8 billion dollars. John Wick will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if John Wick: Chapter Two makes 2.2 billion dollars. Trainspotting will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Terminator 2: Judgment Day makes 2.2 billion dollars. Table will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if Table 19 makes 2.2 billion dollars.

:stare:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

21 Muns posted:

7. X-Men (Logan)

I didn't and will not read this post.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

21 Muns posted:

[movie] will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if [sequel to movie] makes x billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made.

[movie] will make it to the highest-grossing franchises list if [sequel to movie] makes x billion dollars, or more than ten times what any movie in the franchise has made.

All [movie] and no [sequel to movie] make Jack a dull boy

I really hope you used a script to generate that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is officially the part of nerd movies that even I don't give a poo poo about.

If a movie I like makes money and that means they make more movies like it, good. If not, too bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

All I want is endless Alien movies. One of them will be good, at least.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CelticPredator posted:

All I want is endless Alien movies. One of them will be good, at least.

Speaking of, I think James Cameron throwing shade on the Alien series is really funny. He's not entirely wrong but it's amusing coming from the dude threatening to put out 80 Avatar films.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's still bitter about Alien 3.

Which like, makes me wonder why he didn't just make it himself. He obviously had an end goal in mind for Ripley.

I don't really remember if he ever talked about doing it on the making of's. Although I could be wrong. It's been a good few years since I've seen 'em.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

21 Muns posted:

7. X-Men (Logan)

This is a McDonald's drive thru...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Affleck is out as director of The Batman, which has been having production troubles for a while and what looked like Affleck being less and less enthused about being Batman. Matt Reeves is one of the rumored replacements, but who knows at this point

Reeves is a solid director, I wouldn't mind him doing Batman. I'm pretty excited for War for the Planet of the Apes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Is the DC franchise going to fail this early?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Speaking of, I think James Cameron throwing shade on the Alien series is really funny. He's not entirely wrong but it's amusing coming from the dude threatening to put out 80 Avatar films.

I think he's just feeling grouchy about something because he also threw some shade recently at the Mythbusters about their Titanic episode (which he was on.)

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

21 Muns posted:

Franchises

I'm loving this "shared cinematic universe" trend, even if most attempts so far have failed. I hope the fad doesn't die out before they adapt some of Brandon Sanderson's books into movies, his stuff is the definition of shared universe.

edit: Just remembered that I had a dream last night that they had released a trailer for the Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe, introducing all the characters, and it looked delightfully horrible.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Casimir Radon posted:

At this point I have to wonder just how much weird stuff the Warner execs are putting everyone through to have so many people drop off so quickly.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dr Monkeysee posted:

At this point I just feel bad for DC.

I don't, they dug their own grave

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRhGliY1LHo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

He's still bitter about Alien 3.

Which like, makes me wonder why he didn't just make it himself.

He did. It was called Terminator 2.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Peoples' dissatisfaction with BvS and Suicide Squad is going to be reflected in Wonder Woman and Justice League's box office, unless there is some killer word of mouth there's no way they won't be even more of a disappointment for WB.

As someone who actually liked Affleck's Batman in BvS I really don't have much interest in his stand-alone movie because all the stuff that made him interesting was more or less undone by the end of that movie when he got over his paranoia and stopped killing people.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

He did. It was called Terminator 2.

Terminator 2 is not a movie about Ellen Ripley you imbecile. you loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Ripley's story was complete at the end of Aliens. Anything past that is EU.

• Locked thread