Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Arist posted:

she's the best

:popeye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How do you feel about Hannah Montana(kinda) with a Persona?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to admit, I am kind of getting sick of Fuuka. I mean, I know Akihiko is hurt so shut up already. I really enjoyed it when Mitsuru was the advice person but I get the feeling this might just become tedious no matter who's doing it.

Is this "Rise" in P4 any more tolerable?

Rise is cool and I like her, but the navigators still have a problem of having a set number of lines that get repeated all the time. I was never too bothered by it, but if you're annoyed at it in P3 it's not really something they really fixed in p4 from what I remember.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Legitimately, completely separated from the waifu poo poo, Laura Bailey's Rise is way better than whoever Fuuka's VA is and is a large part of why I like that character.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Rise is cool and I like her, but the navigators still have a problem of having a set number of lines that get repeated all the time. I was never too bothered by it, but if you're annoyed at it in P3 it's not really something they really fixed in p4 from what I remember.

P5 makes it better by allowing the older navi characters to keep piping up so you get more variety in the lines. In total there's three people sharing the navi duties.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tarezax posted:

P5 makes it better by allowing the older navi characters to keep piping up so you get more variety in the lines. In total there's three people sharing the navi duties.

I'm excited for Persona 5.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HGH posted:

How do you feel about Laura Bailey with a Persona?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why does the navigator character even have a line for when you strike a weakpoint, at all. Was it not obvious from either the giant colourful text that appears, or the enemy getting knocked down? That's what I most dislike about them because that is a thing you will be doing in literally every battle and it has like three lines dedicated to it that you will hear. A lot. "AKIHIKO SENPAI IS IN TROUBLE" is silly and all but at least that can serve a function sometimes to remind you to look at everyone's health situation before you just mindlessly slam out an attack. Which does actually happen to me sometimes when I'm 20 floors deep into a tartarus expedition and running on extreme autopilot.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

she's the best

Shun this nonhuman

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
The Navigator characters are possibly the dumbest thing in the modern Persona series, outside of the Persona 3 "you can't control your party members" "feature".
They're an entire character whose sole purpose in the game is a function which used to just be a little button in the menus in P1-P2 and other SMT games. And in P4 their Analyze doesn't even tell you anything you didn't already find out from hitting the enemy with different elements.

I think they were just put in for the same reason as the lack of party control in P3, to try to create a sense of team camaraderie in the party, but they weren't taken out since unlike the party AI they are just a passive annoyance instead of a massive hindrance to the gameplay.

I think my favorite navigator line in the series is:

Ken: I'm not tired!
Fuuka: Ken-kun seems tired!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Navigator was really useful in P3. Really was P4 that made them garbo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Baal posted:

I also have to wonder why Hashino thought it was a good idea to create another Tatsuya after a game came out where there were already two Tatsuyas.

Well his name was Takaya not Tatsuya.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That says a lot to me for how forgettable Strega is.

Tired Moritz posted:

Navigator was really useful in P3. Really was P4 that made them garbo.

Rise makes the game more broken than it already was by just existing in P4G.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I donno. Strega was dumb but I can't say they're forgettable. Takaya was Evil Jesus rear end in a top hat, Chidori had her Junpei plotline. I guess Jin is the also-ran but he threw grenades at you and blew himself up so I remember at least that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chidori is the only one I actively remember stuff about and can appreciate. Takaya shot a gun one time and Jin's persona did a silly dance and his hair is dumb, these are the things I remember.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
At least Rise could actually participate/help out in P4G.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have no problem with Strega. They've been involved in some of the best scenes in the game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Strega is extremely forgettable compared to the main villains in P2 and P4.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Strega is extremely forgettable compared to the main villains in P2 and P4.

Well I haven't played 4 yet and I'm not quite sure who the main villains are in P2. I was confused about why Jun was doing all this but someone just lurted out a spoiler that he's being mind-controlled or something by a Lovecraft reject.

I liked Sudou I guess. Why I wish he had been around more and why I need to play EP.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Don't knock Nyarl, he does an exceptional job at getting under the cast's (and the player's) skins for how he actually goes about manipulating the variety of events in the P2 games. A non-trivial reason I was a little bit excited about P4 Arena's story was the implication that he might be back in the mix for things which of course Ultimax had to squash.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I haven't played 4 yet and I'm not quite sure who the main villains are in P2. I was confused about why Jun was doing all this but someone just lurted out a spoiler that he's being mind-controlled or something by a Lovecraft reject.

I liked Sudou I guess. Why I wish he had been around more and why I need to play EP.

The Crawling Chaos is not a Lovecraft reject! :mad:

Then again, apparently Nyarlathotep is a product of H.P. expelling him off his nightmares or something, so you might be onto something here.

e:gently caress, beaten.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well I have to actually get to the reveal in the game to say how well I think it's handled. I'm probably just salty about the spoiler but oh well.

Plus, I guess I just didn't think of a super cosmic entity being involved in Persona. P3 has Nyx I guess but that's way at the rear end-end of the game. I thought all the big, universal events were contained in the main SMT games.

Or is it really only P4 that has a...I dunno what to call it. A "small scale" story?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to admit, I am kind of getting sick of Fuuka.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:swoon:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I have to actually get to the reveal in the game to say how well I think it's handled. I'm probably just salty about the spoiler but oh well.

Plus, I guess I just didn't think of a super cosmic entity being involved in Persona. P3 has Nyx I guess but that's way at the rear end-end of the game. I thought all the big, universal events were contained in the main SMT games.

Or is it really only P4 that has a...I dunno what to call it. A "small scale" story?

Persona 4's is relatively small scale, not sure if the side content in golden changes that at all or not

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not really, Golden doubles down on some of the mystical background stuff but it's still very much a phenomenon central to Inaba though I want to say it's implied it could impact the world at large if left unchecked.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Persona 4 seems smaller in scope because it's the first time that the PCs actually manage to stop the angry god thing's apocalypse plans

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Every single Atlus game has some sort of mythological scope to it to some degree or another. This is because Japan is obsessed with God(s) being evil, and all apocalypses naturally begin or end in Japan. P4 is no exception but it's certainly a lot more low-key. Haven't played persona 5 yet but I'd put money on the table and bet that it has some elements of this as well.

That's just how JRPGs roll, man.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Every single Atlus game has some sort of mythological scope to it to some degree or another. This is because Japan is obsessed with God(s) being evil, and all apocalypses naturally begin or end in Japan. P4 is no exception but it's certainly a lot more low-key. Haven't played persona 5 yet but I'd put money on the table and bet that it has some elements of this as well.

But some of the gods are good. Apocalypse took a weird nationalist turn in one of the quests about how Japanese gods are better

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fuuka Bazooka is the hardest I've laughed at a dumb image in a while

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

But some of the gods are good. Apocalypse took a weird nationalist turn in one of the quests about how Japanese gods are better

That just goes back to the whole National Defense Divinity concept introduced in 4. I recall reading a good analysis about most other gods having a good deal of "get rid of the foreigner" subtext to them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

HGH posted:

That just goes back to the whole National Defense Divinity concept introduced in 4.

They were introduced in 2. Been plot important since arguably King Abaddon. 4 didn't do anything new; it just changed the roster and split it into two races instead of one because 4 thinks having over 40 races is a good thing when there's nothing differentiating any of them in any meaningful way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nate RFB posted:

Don't knock Nyarl, he does an exceptional job at getting under the cast's (and the player's) skins for how he actually goes about manipulating the variety of events in the P2 games. A non-trivial reason I was a little bit excited about P4 Arena's story was the implication that he might be back in the mix for things which of course Ultimax had to squash.

Same. Philemon and Gnarly were great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

While I haven't played as many JRPGs as some people on this forum, I think the whole "JRPGs invariably involve killing God or an evil religion" is largely a BS stereotype.

Yeah, some JRPGs have that but I don't think "Japan" has an obsession with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's really just SMT and Final Fantasy Legend.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

It's really just SMT and Final Fantasy Legend.

Well there's also Xenogears, kinda.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well there's also Xenogears, kinda.

And the tales series has a lot of that too

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Final Fantasy Tactics is one of the most blatant anti-Christian allegories.
And though it's a pretty minor thing, let's not forget how Final Fantasy loves to throw angel wings and halos onto the final bosses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtsam posted:

And the tales series has a lot of that too
hey, the god you fight in rebirth is the god of racism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JRPGs don't have you fight Capital G God very often but they do have you fight a God pretty goddamn often. Sometimes an evil god, sometimes a creator god, sometimes just an all-powerful shithead with godlike imagery. (Sephiroth, Kefka.)