Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just installed a 2nd gen Kwikset Kevo smartlock on my front door and it works really well. I was a bit scared because the customer reviews were really polarized but I've had no problems. And you can still use it as a regular lock if anyone else is a technophobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjzcXeq8lw

Having to install a 20 minute software update on my lock is pretty weird though. :)

I really want a mechanical push button lock for my door for the new house. Not needing a key appeals to me, but I also don't want to rely on constant electricity. Unfortunately a decent one seems to be like $400, so I may not be getting one for a long while...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Just installed a 2nd gen Kwikset Kevo smartlock on my front door and it works really well. I was a bit scared because the customer reviews were really polarized but I've had no problems. And you can still use it as a regular lock if anyone else is a technophobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UjzcXeq8lw

Having to install a 20 minute software update on my lock is pretty weird though. :)

I love and use smart home stuff and think it has a lot of great potential, but it's going to be a good long while before I put a hackable lock on my front door.

Granted, regular key locks can be physically hacked or bumped pretty easily, but it's a whole other thing when the right person has access to your personal information and a home address.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Granted, regular key locks can be physically hacked or bumped pretty easily

Just lovely ones, such as all pin tumbler locks. Luckily the problem of bumping (and picking, raking, zipping, rocking, and possibly some other techniques as well) was solved in 1907 and made commercially available to the public in 1918.

All this is moot because no burglar is going to give a poo poo about your non-electronic lock.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OSU_Matthew posted:

I love and use smart home stuff and think it has a lot of great potential, but it's going to be a good long while before I put a hackable lock on my front door.

Granted, regular key locks can be physically hacked or bumped pretty easily, but it's a whole other thing when the right person has access to your personal information and a home address.

I dunno if it really is any different. As you say, anyone who wants to get into your house that badly can get in whether you have a smart lock or not. Plus being in a condo means two more locked doors just to get to that one.

I was impressed by how spectacularly flimsy my old 1970s deadbolt was. Basically just held the door in place.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just lovely ones, such as all pin tumbler locks. Luckily the problem of bumping (and picking, raking, zipping, rocking, and possibly some other techniques as well) was solved in 1907 and made commercially available to the public in 1918.

All this is moot because no burglar is going to give a poo poo about your non-electronic lock.

Yup! Residential locks are intentionally designed to be lovely because the strongest lock in the world won't stop a brick going through your window.

I more forsee a marketplace for hacked locks, similar to selling stolen credit card numbers, etc. Someone hacks your lock, they're not going to use it themselves, but they can add a few other pieces of information such as the easily searchable home address of the lock and other stuff to make it easier for someone with mal intent to walk right in.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Yup! Residential locks are intentionally designed to be lovely because the strongest lock in the world won't stop a brick going through your window.

It will if you lock up the bricks in a windowless warehouse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One time I had to tell someone to wait 5 minutes because my TV remote was doing a firmware upgrade and I couldn't set my DVR yet.

But then I remembered I can control it by an app on my phone.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OSU_Matthew posted:

I more forsee a marketplace for hacked locks, similar to selling stolen credit card numbers, etc. Someone hacks your lock, they're not going to use it themselves, but they can add a few other pieces of information such as the easily searchable home address of the lock and other stuff to make it easier for someone with mal intent to walk right in.

At no point did Kwikset ask for my home address, and it's not accessible outside of Bluetooth range without the $100 hub, sold separately and not required.

And again taking going through a window would be a lot easier than all that effort.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

At no point did Kwikset ask for my home address, and it's not accessible outside of Bluetooth range without the $100 hub, sold separately and not required.

And again taking going through a window would be a lot easier than all that effort.

So I can't figure this out from the amazon description: Can only 2 people have permanent bluetooth keys to it? I see you can give temporary ones out, but can you make temporary ones last for years?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So I can't figure this out from the amazon description: Can only 2 people have permanent bluetooth keys to it? I see you can give temporary ones out, but can you make temporary ones last for years?

I believe you can pay $5 or whatever for another permanent key, like getting a physical key copied.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Cool now even my door lock can have microtransactions. Truly we are in the future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vitamins posted:

Cool now even my door lock can have microtransactions. Truly we are in the future.

Unless you run a hardware store, they always did.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

OSU_Matthew posted:

Decided to upgrade my multi meter to a genuine Fluke 87:

Almost got the chinese Fluke 17, but found a decent deal for the real thing on fleabay instead.

Had a close call recently where I nearly found out the hard way that my 20$ innova meter ain't fused. Let's just say those probe wires can get really hot, really quick. Great lesson to always double check where the selector is pointing so you don't accidentally try to measure amps instead of volts

Yeah especially if you're working on distribution industrial/commercial equipment not using a cheap meter is no joke. Here's a case in point:

http://ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

480/277V power panel (for things like HVAC) at a mall. They suspect lightning hit the system causing a massive transient that went through the cheapo meter that exploded in the electrician's hands.

• Electrician - dead
  • Fire dept. official - dead
  • Store employee - serious burns but survived

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I saw one of those smart lock brands also sells wristbands and keychains for kids so you can give them access a little easier than an actual key.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The "Internet of Things" is getting really loving dumb when your door locks are connected and hackable :lol:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

The "Internet of Things" is getting really loving dumb when your door locks are connected and hackable :lol:

I can hack a door by breaking it with a sledge hammer. I can hack your life by smashing your head with a sledgehammer :lol:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
What is this, Amateur hour?

You hack with an axe, not a sledgehammer.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

But is it really a keychain if it doesn't have a physical key on it? Or is the chain the key? Makes you think.

Can't wait until some botnet can DDOS my door open in the grim future.

As for content: Thanks to a nice Amazon deal I got a load of Kendal Mint Cake. It's delicious.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Weird they always tell me I'm not supposed to eat those

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

FishBulb posted:

Weird they always tell me I'm not supposed to eat those

Yeah they look just like a Godiva chocolate if you cover it in chocolate syrup and stick it in the freezer

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I bought a taco truck:

and some screwdrivers

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Wacky Delly posted:

I bought a taco truck:

and some screwdrivers

Are those hollow ground? Link?

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Wacky Delly posted:

I bought a taco truck:

and some screwdrivers

Ooo where'd ya get the screwdrivers

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Looks like it's this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Wacky Delly posted:

I bought a taco truck:

and some screwdrivers

Nice! I love that set--I use it everyday at work. It's just so thoughtfully designed, from the magnetic lid with segments to store different screws from each disassembly step, to the easy access foam bit holder, plus the screwdriver just feels great in your hand and is perfectly magnetized. Plus the bits themselves fit everything great, I've always struggled finding decent precision bit sets, most of them are junk. The variety is good too, stuff like t6 security and pentalobe bits you don't commonly see but need for Apple stuff. Make sure you pick up a full tang spudger from them as well, it's hands down the best pry tool for taking poo poo apart--works especially great on opening iPhone screens.

For content, just bought an Alesis Nitro electric drum set after dicking around with one at guitar center:

:rock:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat this thread now I gotta have that too

I have a cheap set and I've stripped a lot of screws

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Tasty.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

yes, I got 'em from amazon since I had some credit left over and the price was a wash with their site after shipping (prime 2 day helped too). been wanting them for a while, don't specifically need anything in it, but figure it will come in handy.

Gearfeathers
Oct 30, 2012

Because if I'm going to fall asleep listening to things every night anyway I may as well try a pair that won't jab me when they fall out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there much sound bleed on those?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

drat this thread now I gotta have that too

I have a cheap set and I've stripped a lot of screws

If you're stripping screws you're not applying enough force to your screwdriver while you attempt to loosen the fastener. Use your entire body weight to make sure that the driver doesn't slip out of the threads. Of course a nicer set might help it not to slip out, but with some fastener your really just have to apply a lot of downward force while you attempt to loosen them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought two compact discs at the Concert Hall

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Still buying vintage pens, still beautiful.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megabound posted:

Still buying vintage pens, still beautiful.

Congratulations on being beautiful I guess.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Congratulations on being beautiful I guess.

They also work, and I use them daily.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megabound posted:

They also work, and I use them daily.

Oh the pens are beautiful :doh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh the pens are beautiful :doh:

Oh yea, I'm a fucken wreck

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ordered some Shure SRH240A head-phones because I got a gift card and also because the hospital destroyed my last pair by lowering the bed while they were in the tray beneath. Best value for money both for personal and professional use that I've found. Comfortable even with a size 62 head, and very durable, being crushed notwithstanding.

e: If you're American, buy them now because I think most Shure products are made in Mexico :mmmhmm:

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Took advantage of the January sales...

Kitchen table and bench from Made.com
had our eyes on it for a while and there was a load off in their sale. Probably because of the 14 week delivery time :aaa:

Mercedes C250d coupe

(not mine in the pic)
First time I've had an automatic and it took a bit of getting used to, but loving it so far.

Now to work on spending absolutely nothing for the rest of the year :homebrew:

Randyslawterhouse has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe
Parts for a project:

different project but I wanted to get a pulse sensor: