Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ash1138 posted:

that's a lot of words

So don't read them if your attention span can't manage it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Star Citizen is as open and transparent as the frosted glass in a Church. In fact, the "game" itself is so transparent, that you can't even see it; because there is no game.
:eyepop:

TB is a tool? What's next, SC turns out to be a scam!?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

He is basically saying that with NMS you didn't know what you were getting, what state the game was in etc. Until it was released. Then all hell broke loose. But with Star Citizen, there is all this wealth of material, you can read them, go play the alpha right now etc. So you know - beforehand - the state that the game is in, the discussions around it, and from there you can make an informed decision about it.

I just wish journalists would stop seeing a pile of stuff labelled as "Development information stuff" and assume it's at least mostly good information.

I mean, it's hard to blame them too, CiG pumps out so much poo poo with so much filler it'd be a full time job for a journalists to go through it all properly

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

boviscopophobic posted:

Most stuff on the Issue Council doesn't get responses, but 13 people made sure to mark this one invalid.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/..._for_awhile_now

Have you ever aggregated the funding amounts per hour? Seems like if the 75% amount were true it would show quite a bulge in the European time zones during normal waking hours.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
Very much looking forward to the GDC post-mortem of SC in 15-20 years time, presented by a mildly embarrassed Hobo Lando who's being constantly being interrupted by devs shouting "Helmet!", followed by raucous laughter.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you weren't a hyped up idiot baby gamer it was easy to see that NMS wasn't going to be what gamers wanted it to be.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sandweed posted:

If you weren't a hyped up idiot baby gamer it was easy to see that NMS wasn't going to be what gamers wanted it to be.

Yes but it still fell short, even if you weren't building castles of air and hype.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
derek's posts are becoming like his political tweets, boring and wrong.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Klyith posted:

Yes but it still fell short, even if you weren't building castles of air and hype.

But when gameplay Video came out, it was clearly fancy Minecraft so that was an easy bullet to avoid.

I mean you guys didn't buy a game based on marketing reels of art assets with no context did you?

That would be really stupid!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Edit for, accidental double post!

I want skating on Lake Louise for a couple hours today, visited the Banf hotsprings, went out for pizza with my kids and still had time to keep on top of the poo poo posting here, so I don't know what FYAD is on about.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 29, 2017

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

TheAgent posted:

also what exactly is ground breaking about this project

I have never understood the "they are creating tech that's never been designed before" line

there's no technology here that hasn't been used before

It has never been done at this level of fidelity before. < I've seen it enough to know this is the actual answer you will get from cultists

The Titanic posted:

Regardless of that though, it's absurd how people both believe everything Chris Roberts says while also laughing off his many, many falsehoods. Star Citizen/Star Marine has been coming out every two weeks until recently for years. At one point Star Marine was already in the game, then it wasn't.

Why did they have to build up a whole other, separate Star Marine after it was already in the game? If that were true, everything in Star Marine that was released would be in the PU. That would also make it the third Star Marine they have developed.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
From the article itself:

:psyboom:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

starkebn posted:

So don't read them if your attention span can't manage it
i did read them that's how i know

rudy mcruderson

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if what they are saying is that it has taken SC a lot more spaghetti-tangles of code make less game than e:d, then yes i agree

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jonny Nox posted:

But when gameplay Video came out, it was clearly fancy Minecraft so that was an easy bullet to avoid.

I mean you guys didn't buy a game based on marketing reels of art assets with no context did you?

That would be really stupid!

I was on that poo poo real early dawg.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Ash1138 posted:

i did read them that's how i know

rudy mcruderson

:niggly:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
OK random but wtf, why am I unable to play a youtube video in HD even though I've paid for it. Using Chrome. I trust the venerable star citizen thread will be able to enlighten me as to whether I'm just barking up the tree of reality.
e: seriously, why does this purchased Youtube film (purchased in HD format) not allow me to switch to HD. This is a mystery for the ages.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 29, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

From the article itself:

:psyboom:

I think if anything beyond how to/not to scam people come out of this, it should be the importance of graphics.

SC looks like a AAA game, the boring grey drab aside. It looks like a fantastic game. Because of this appearance, I think people are assuming every aspect of it is equally polished, like the underlying code. This just isn't the case though. But because it looks good, it gets tons and tons of breaks from people who would otherwise hate it.

So I guess good job there!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Titanic posted:

I think if anything beyond how to/not to scam people come out of this, it should be the importance of graphics.

SC looks like a AAA game, the boring grey drab aside. It looks like a fantastic game. Because of this appearance, I think people are assuming every aspect of it is equally polished, like the underlying code. This just isn't the case though. But because it looks good, it gets tons and tons of breaks from people who would otherwise hate it.

No no, you see, Star Citizen is still generating an income. Therefore, there is no way that Star Citizen could be experiencing any problems.

-/r/StarCitizen

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The Titanic posted:

But because it looks good, it gets tons and tons of breaks from people who would otherwise hate it.
Pretty much. Imagine if SC looked like Rodina but had the same game mechanics it does right now. It's not even lone developer indie tier.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like spending a few moments reading this thread because it's a welcome reprieve from the insanity of the Trump administration.

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like spending a few moments reading this thread because it's a welcome reprieve from the insanity of the Trump administration.

Make Star Citizen Great Again

legion989
Jan 18, 2013

legion989 posted:

Wait never mind it already is the best game ever and nothing currently released can compare.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Titanic posted:

I think it's just a similar phenomenon to calling Chris Roberts visionary. He objectively isn't and is a complete hack that is a failed movie director rolling around in a huge pile of burning cash like The Dark Knight but for the dream to be real he has to be visionary.

The more emotionally invested they are in this fantasy life they are dreaming about, the more revolutionary it has to be to justify their faith, and the more visionary Chris Roberts has to be to make it possible.

The dream is totally happening because the guy making it is a legendary, visionary, einstein-of-his-time super genius.
The dream is totally happening because it's already shattering game conventions and has revolutionized the world with never before seen technology.

None of that is true, it's actually laughable and actually a little sad the way they project this poo poo out there. They've turned a guy with a mediocre game franchise from decades ago, with the worlds dumbest movie who has been fired from anything good he has ever been associated with into jesus christ by selling themselves a lie.

See Also: Buying ships to reassure themselves the dream is real with tangible, receipt proof of owning the dream.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

legion989 posted:

Make Mae Demming Laugh Again (cos in this Sandi Gardiner role she look more and more like Skeletor each video)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

The Titanic posted:

So, a child's level of perception?

I don't want to peeve people too much, BUT, if you spend so much time and money on video games, don't you owe it to yourself to learn just a little bit about them? Doubly so for idiots spending thousands on one game. They aren't that complicated in an overview way and it will allow you to spot obvious bullshit from less than reliable developers and the things they promise.

Reminds me of people thinking PS1 graphics were amazing because they play pre-rendered cutscenes.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Why did people ever buy into this poo poo? Was it the other people on the kickstarter (who have since left to make a Descent clone??) that made you think it was a good idea?

I am talking to YOU.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Thirsty Dog posted:

He's a smart guy

No. He is not.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

It might be the cannabis I smoked but it looks to me he's saying that CIG major hosed 2016

In 2016 CIG released SM (which was already in the PU), and clothes shopping.

That's pretty much it.

400 people.

An entire year.

40 million dollars.

Clothes shopping.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sillybones posted:

Why did people ever buy into this poo poo? Was it the other people on the kickstarter (who have since left to make a Descent clone??) that made you think it was a good idea?

I am talking to YOU.

I too would like to her again why some of you brought into this for, in some cases, hundreds of dollars.

It was always Chris Roberts, he had been away from gaming for over a decade with his last project, Freelance, having a troubled development.

I was never in on this but did not care until it became apparent, at if I recall, about the $9 million mark that this was getting funded in a cult like fashion.

Here is a quote from me from another site, back in Dec, 2013.

But what if the game (SC) is a total snoozefest with lovely combat, a 'fake' economy and bits that are still 'works in progress'.

Roberts should have kickstarted Squad42 and finished it, then done another kickstarter for the Star Citizen after he had delivied on the first project. To me it looks like it's out of his control now, so many promise and faith based ship sales that I doubt everyone is gonna get what they want. (also totally open to taking many years to get done)

Just my 2cents (anyone got change for a dollar?)

I totally stand by that still and now feel smug. :smuggo:

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

This completely normal explanation on engine switches.

HAHAHA! *nervously looks around*

edit: dogge tax, I have a greyhound, she looks like this.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jan 29, 2017

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Please pat, thx.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

idk

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Greyhounds are the best dogges.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Deep thoughts. from star citizens.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's not americans's choice, but it's america's choice. Dans le cul !

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

dont know what ur talking about. the world got the hero we deserved. putin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

scrubs season six posted:

Deep thoughts. from star citizens.

Such deep humility on display here.

Edit: Ooh, I get it now. He sunk all his money into fake spaceships and now he is poor. Really gives you perspective.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 29, 2017