Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mymla posted:

I don't think learning that there is indeed something she could've done better there would help her move on.

She's going to be going through it like Nadeer's brother eventually. Eventually, no one will die and no one will be able to land a hit on her, thus making her supersede the hype about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I haven't watched any of this season. How is it so far?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched any of this season. How is it so far?

Ghost Rider half was nearly perfect. Came back from the break with a bit of a lull last week, but this week's episode was great

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I'm honestly really enjoying this season, Ghost Rider was great (I hope we see him again), and the LMD stuff is better than I expected so far, although it's teetering dangerously close to BSG.

For reference, I've enjoyed parts of previous seasons and not other parts of them. This season I'm liking everything really.

I think I need to re-watch the most recent episode, I was kind of only half watching it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I'm honestly really enjoying this season, Ghost Rider was great (I hope we see him again), and the LMD stuff is better than I expected so far, although it's teetering wonderfully close to BSG.

Close to BSG and to Westworld. I enjoy speculation about consciousness and self.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Maybnot is really interesting. It'd be cool if she was the one that obtained sentience/independence instead of Ada because god dammit, it's a copy of May. She's that much of a badass.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Whoops, I'm late

Season 4, Episode 11: Wake Up

http://i.imgur.com/YlJKqdm.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/i8eqwkz.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/bevYOGC.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/mKQ1LLV.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/nFNzTvc.gifv

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The way I see it is this:

Coulson has learned that he still has to play by new rules. He thought that by being in charge again, and leaving the politics to Mace, he could ignore the new rules, and run things like he used to. His failure has shown him that, no, things really have changed, and that he better adapt, because he won't like the consequences if he doesn't.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Kheldarn posted:

The way I see it is this:

Coulson has learned that he still has to play by new rules. He thought that by being in charge again, and leaving the politics to Mace, he could ignore the new rules, and run things like he used to. His failure has shown him that, no, things really have changed, and that he better adapt, because he won't like the consequences if he doesn't.

Cmon Mace get your poo poo together and become the hero SHIELD needs. Hit up an RGB list site if you need to.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Chokes McGee posted:

Maybnot is really interesting. It'd be cool if she was the one that obtained sentience/independence instead of Ada because god dammit, it's a copy of May. She's that much of a badass.

She would be more likely to destroy herself because of that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pussy Quipped posted:

It annoys me that they spell it Nadeer and not Nadir.

Why, they have different meanings.

Nadeer is Indian, Nadir is more Arabic.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 28, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rocksicles posted:

Why, they have different meanings.

Nadeer is Indian, Nadir is more Arabic.

If they went with Nadir, someone in this thread would talk about how racist it was.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Nah, we'd just be waiting for her cousin Abed to show up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

counterfeitsaint posted:

If they went with Nadir, someone in this thread would talk about how racist it was.

Character is Indian background anyway, her brother is Vijay.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Are there seriously people wondering why a character of Indian descent, played by a person of Indian descent, has an Indian name?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 28, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get the feeling they thought she wasn't Indian, no biggie

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

counterfeitsaint posted:

Because we all know the worst thing that can happen to anybody is to have somebody suggest something they did might be racist.

Your joke didn't have a punchline.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I was hoping for Nadir because

M-W posted:

na·dir
ˈnādər,ˈnādir/
noun
the lowest point in the fortunes of a person or organization.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

See, I just thought they were annoyed because the first thought on how to spell it that comes to mind would be 'Nadir' instead of "Nadeer' but once again I was caught being foolish.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

I was hoping for Nadir because

In Turkish it means "very rare". :colbert:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Isn't SHIELD under the jurisdiction of the UN, like the peacekeeping forces? I'm so confused.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

hiddenriverninja posted:

Isn't SHIELD under the jurisdiction of the UN, like the peacekeeping forces? I'm so confused.

It is all kinda weird and ambiguous. The movies presented them as a UN task force of sorts initially with Nick answering to some world leaders and answering directly to a senate subcommittee. That's why I suggested they turn over any of the evidence they might have on Nadir to the FBI and let them do their thing but I'm not sure if they really exist in AoS-verse or if SHIELD is some sort of all-encompassing representation of the FBI, CIA, and NSA.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

hiddenriverninja posted:

It seems like the re-formed shield is a US agency. The original was under the world council (a UN committee), but this one has Talbot working as administrative liaison and seems to have some sort of official standing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, according to Civil War the Sokovia Accords put the Avengers under the control of the UN so you would assume the same for SHIELD.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
This episode was amazing.

The May/MayB stuff was great.

Talbot was right. I knew he was right. And I was angry at Phil for not listening to him.

Surprised Fitz went for the headshot. Shooting Radcliffe in the leg would have been more logical... assuming Fitz was testing a theory as opposed to trying to murder him.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

nelson posted:

Surprised Fitz went for the headshot. Shooting Radcliffe in the leg would have been more logical... assuming Fitz was testing a theory as opposed to trying to murder him.

Yeah, this was the only part of the episode that didn't make sense.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

nelson posted:

That would've been loving hilarious if Fitz smugly shot LMD Radcliffe and he was 100% not an LMD.

Hoo-ey! How would Agent Fitz have gotten outta that mess?!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fitz is never wrong, dummy.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, this was the only part of the episode that didn't make sense.

Figured that was more an emotional decision on Fitz's part than a logical one. I was more confused by the preceding moment of a guard handing off his sidearm just because.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I think it was an icer, so no biggie.

If the guard hadn't just handed over the sidearm, Fitz would have just headed on down to the armory to get whatever. It's not like doors or procedures have really stopped him in the past.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

OB_Juan posted:

If the guard hadn't just handed over the sidearm, Fitz would have just headed on down to the armory to get whatever. It's not like doors or procedures have really stopped him in the past.

I think it wasn't an icer.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

OB_Juan posted:

Icers have a different, sci-fi sounding kind of shot, and they're pretty good about making sure to use that sound even when the audience isn't supposed to know ahead of time that the character is using the icer. Fitz fired a real gun.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Also, don't icers have, like, a silver muzzle attachment? That one in the GIF doesn't look like it does.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
When I watched the episode, I thought I saw Icer residue on the head wound, but it was just a blue glowing part of the LMD. He definitely didn't use an Icer. :stare:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

"Once again the gods spread the cheeks to ram cock in loving rear end"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

muscles like this! posted:

Well, according to Civil War the Sokovia Accords put the Avengers under the control of the UN so you would assume the same for SHIELD.

I believe that the rules are that a signatory of the accords must have permission to operate either directly by the country in which they operate or from the UN council. So the US can say, "hey, you can do your thing here" or the UN can say, "hey avenger, go save the day off in Syria" even if Syria doesn't want them.

If a powered individual is working for SHIELD and SHIELD is currently part of the US government, then the powered individual would have permission to operate in the US.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Okay, looks like I was wrong. Fitz has some serious confidence in his ability to tell LMD from human.

Or isn't worried about Radcliffe taking one in the dome.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

OB_Juan posted:

Okay, looks like I was wrong. Fitz has some serious confidence in his ability to tell LMD from human.

Or isn't worried about Radcliffe taking one in the dome.
Right up to the moment after he shot Radcliffe, I thought Fitz was going to be the second LMD. Fitz would be a person with access to technical information Radcliffe might need from inside SHIELD, which May would look suspicious getting involved in. Radcliffe would also need to have the person alone in his home for a while to make the brain scan and switch them out (especially if May was a smoother second run), and Fitz has been hanging out at Radcliffe's house for months now as football-watchin' buddies.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Fitz is the third LMD. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I honestly believe Fitz felt so betrayed by Radcliff he was straight up intending to murder him.

• Locked thread