Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what will happen in the winter transfer window
joey barton will do a thing
big sam will do a thing
arsenal fans will meltdown
manchester united fans will meltdown
both sets of fans will melt down
gay for pay 3rd party ownership
Tons of Liverpool fanfiction
View Results

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Frankston posted:

I'm excited to see our new midfield going forward. It's a step up from Ashley "5 goals 11 assists in 147 games" Westwood.

I loving hate Ashley Westwood.

Everyone knows it was Nick Powell who was the real reason why Crewe got promoted to League One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Apparently it might be in the form of Rhodes + cash tho

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

straight up brolic posted:

Apparently it might be in the form of Rhodes + cash tho
that's even worse, I don't want to see that little oval office in club bongo ffs.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Go on.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Snodgrass to West sHam is a done deal

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38775507

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Our midfield now consists of Adomah, Lansbury, Hourihane and Bjarnason. Not sure about Bjarnason because he's come from Switzerland but the other three have all been very decent this season and are killing it for goals and assists. Hourihane has 6 goals 11 assists in 25 games, Lansbury has 6 goals 3 assists in 17, Adomah has 3 goals 5 assists in 20.

I'm excited to see our new midfield going forward. It's a step up from Ashley "5 goals 11 assists in 147 games" Westwood.

I loving hate Ashley Westwood.

Feels like Villa is building a Championship side. How long you figure you'll be down there?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Feels like Villa is building a Championship side. How long you figure you'll be down there?
lol. Probably this season, but we'll go up next year. We have a much better team than the one that was relegated outside of Gueye who was by far our best player.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Polish Striker David Kownacki. Ever heard of him Mackintosh?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

So that's two of the three relegation spots sorted then. Sunderland and Hull seem to have just given up entirely

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

Can anyone tell me something about Yuya Kubo? For starters, if that's a real name?

He's a diminutive Japanese attacking mid / striker who was quite good in the mighty Swiss Super League!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Pato is off to China, €18m transfer fee after Villareal paid €3m for him in the summer.

Grenier had a medical with Roma, 6 month loan with a permanent option. I haven't paid much attention to Ligue 1 for a while, but he used to be quite good, hasn't really played this year though.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

trem_two posted:

Pato is off to China, €18m transfer fee after Villareal paid €3m for him in the summer.

Grenier had a medical with Roma, 6 month loan with a permanent option. I haven't paid much attention to Ligue 1 for a while, but he used to be quite good, hasn't really played this year though.

What the hell is it with Chinese clubs and overpaying needlessly? £60m for Oscar for instance, why not offer £40-50m

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

PirateBob posted:

What the hell is it with Chinese clubs and overpaying needlessly? £60m for Oscar for instance, why not offer £40-50m

Either money laundering or a gaudy conspicuous spending competition between billionaires. Maybe both.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

trem_two posted:

Think he'll get much time at Roma? Maybe while Salah is gone but eh, their attackers seem pretty set.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Mainz05en/status/825657145106497536

so, not Boro then

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

:cry:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What a stunning career arc.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

For fucks sake. I'm seriously worried about this season if Gaston is on his way. Ffs

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

Bape Culture posted:

For fucks sake. I'm seriously worried about this season if Gaston is on his way. Ffs

fairly sure if ramirez leaves and jese dosen't come in adama will have to become insnaely good and sick insanely quick or we're insanely hosed.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WestHamUtd/status/825687372314591232

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

PirateBob posted:

Chinese currency bubble, people are trying to get their money out of the country as fast as possible

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ephex posted:

Chinese currency bubble, people are trying to get their money out of the country as fast as possible

Are you concerned about hitlr?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/sportspeteo/status/825693673736257536

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

he was the best player we've had in the modern era and our first ballon d'or candidate. I hope he goes home and has fun and plays good football.

Lol at how badly Gold and Sullivan have hosed us, could've sent him to Inter in the summer for way more and we'd have been better off in the league

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

ephex posted:

By giving it away?

kami
Feb 10, 2004

GATTACA!!
GATTACA!!

Spangly A posted:

he was the best player we've had in the modern era and our first ballon d'or candidate. I hope he goes home and has fun and plays good football.

Lol at how badly Gold and Sullivan have hosed us, could've sent him to Inter in the summer for way more and we'd have been better off in the league
It stings less because it seems to be genuine homesickness and not trying to vault up to a better club. Extremely unlikely he's going to play OM into a European slot next season.

But gently caress him and his lack of effort when he was on the field this season.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

PirateBob posted:

By giving it away?

The overwhelming suspicion seems to be that they're laundering it. Agree to pay someone (worth $10m) $50m, actually pay them $20m, stash the other $30 in a Caribbean holding corporation. That's an oversimplification with made up numbers, but it captures the gist of it.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Soulex posted:

Polish Striker David Kownacki. Ever heard of him Mackintosh?

Plays for Lech Poznan, pretty decent by Ekstraklasa standards, but he's young, not starting 11 material anywhere in Europe proper. But then again, neither was Zielinski and look at him now. Plenty of potential in this kid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TheQuietWilds posted:

The overwhelming suspicion seems to be that they're laundering it. Agree to pay someone (worth $10m) $50m, actually pay them $20m, stash the other $30 in a Caribbean holding corporation. That's an oversimplification with made up numbers, but it captures the gist of it.

its also a way to try and make themselves popular with the city they're in so that Xi doesn't have them quietly arrested as part of "corruption" crackdowns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheQuietWilds posted:

Yeah it's awfully suspicious that these Chinese clubs are a) offering so far above market value in both transfer fees and wages; b) making the amount they're paying so public; and c) not actually paying it in many cases (cf player complaints about unpaid wages). It feels a lot like money laundering in that respect. Sometimes maybe players, unscrupulous middlemen, or even foreign clubs are in on it (Chinese club agrees to buy a player for $80m when you were about to sell them for $30m, actually they pay you $40m and launder the other half in the Caymans kind of thing), sometimes maybe the selling clubs are getting stiffed as well.

"Yeah of course Mr. Judge, I paid Chelsea $100m to sign Oscar and then paid him $500k a week for a year. What do you mean they say they only received $20m of the payments and he stopped receiving wages after two weeks? They're just lying, here look at my totally legitimate documentation."

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
karanka has mind games'd the boro fans into oblivion,

froze downing out
didn't get snodgrass, bojan or jese
brings back downing like a brand new signing.

how does he do it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it's awfully suspicious that these Chinese clubs are a) offering so far above market value in both transfer fees and wages; b) making the amount they're paying so public; and c) not actually paying it in many cases (cf player complaints about unpaid wages). It feels a lot like money laundering in that respect. Sometimes maybe players, unscrupulous middlemen, or even foreign clubs are in on it (Chinese club agrees to buy a player for $80m when you were about to sell them for $30m, actually they pay you $40m and launder the other half in the Caymans kind of thing), sometimes maybe the selling clubs are getting stiffed as well.

"Yeah of course Mr. Judge, I paid Chelsea $100m to sign Oscar and then paid him $500k a week for a year. What do you mean they say they only received $20m of the payments and he stopped receiving wages after two weeks? They're just lying, here look at my totally legitimate documentation."

The consequences of doing something like that are so high in China (you almost certainly disappear, if not publicly tried and executed), that I can't imagine either the player or the foreign club isn't in on it. The sums of money are so huge, it seems like you'd have to be insane to try that without an inside guy on the other end getting a handsome kickback to forward the money through a club or personal account into some sort of untraceable holding. I'd guess that the players making noise are angling for a bigger piece of the back end.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are there any recent stories about players not getting paid in China?

I know Drogba said that he hadn't been paid and used it at his reason for tearing up the contract and moving to Galatasaray, but that was some years ago now and just the one club.

I mean, Dario Conca has been there for ages now as one of the highest paid players in the world so the money is obviously there.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MrBling posted:

I know Drogba said that he hadn't been paid and used it at his reason for tearing up the contract and moving to Galatasaray, but that was some years ago now and just the one club.

I mean, Dario Conca has been there for ages now as one of the highest paid players in the world so the money is obviously there.

Anelka got hosed around as well I think

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MrBling posted:

it was almost certainly fuckery with the contracts not specifying an exact figure to be paid, since its known this was offered to a player, and agents wised up to it

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

MrBling posted:

It depends on what you mean by recent. (To the rest of you, I apologize for repeating an earlier post that I put in the thread.)

Drogba and Anelka ran into issues in Shanghai:

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2012/10/16/could-soccer-stars-anelka-drogba-leave-china-empty-handed/

Others have had problems too:

https://wildeastfootball.net/2014/02/qingdao-melkam-involved-in-match-fixingunpaid-wages-row/

http://uk.reuters.com/article/soccer-china-fifa-benko-idUKL4N0QP1G420140819

Australian players have run into issues as well and the disputes can take years to resolve:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...74a52552c2d04e6

quote:

Though the vast majority has now been paid, some clubs still have to comply after cases pursued by Professional Footballers Australia (PFA) that can take up to two years to go through FIFA’s arbitration system.

More than 40 per cent of the money relates to West Asia, involving clubs in Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia, while a number of recent cases have reflected the growing numbers of Australians going to play in China.

There's also a good Bloomberg story from December 2016 here about why these Chinese mega-transfers don't seem like a sustainable use of funds and why everyone's so suspicious about where the money is coming from:

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articles/2016-12-20/chinese-soccer-party-deserves-an-oscar

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 29, 2017

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

You've blown it, Wengy.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

kami posted:

It stings less because it seems to be genuine homesickness and not trying to vault up to a better club. Extremely unlikely he's going to play OM into a European slot next season.

But gently caress him and his lack of effort when he was on the field this season.

Yeah in terms of stature it's a lateral move - I see Marseille pushing for a Europa League spot but CL football is out of the question this year. I think his family just didn't adjust to London.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Wengy posted:

He's a diminutive Japanese attacking mid / striker who was quite good in the mighty Swiss Super League!

Saw him play for the first time yesterday, he seems quite good in the Jupiler Pro League too! Arrived on Wednesday, started and scored in an important game against rivals on Sunday. Not too bad :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquebus
Feb 19, 2013
Speaking of Belgium, Mat Ryan's apparently escaped the car fire that was once known as Valencia to sign for Genk on loan 'til the end of the season.

• Locked thread