Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Saikano isn't even the saddest anime. It's really goddamn sad, but there are other sad anime shows and movies out there. Grave of the Fireflies is one, of course, Now and Then Here and There is another, I can't remember any others off the top of my head because I'm trying not to bum myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I was a sucker for Voices from a Distant Star back in the day.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Saikano isn't even the saddest anime. It's really goddamn sad, but there are other sad anime shows and movies out there. Grave of the Fireflies is one, of course, Now and Then Here and There is another, I can't remember any others off the top of my head because I'm trying not to bum myself out.

Well that's 2 things to put on my 'never watch' list

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to watch a visually impressive war anime, Gundam Thunderbolt is great. It's a short miniseries, lots of jazz, and mostly about low level soldiers being stuck in a lovely war and how it's destroyed their lives. The ending is a bit of a let down but it's a good ride.

The barrier to entry is also low, it's mostly a visual story and not lore heavy, but it's pretty much the Das Boot of Gundam series.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Grog. Grog never changes.

This is from Dragon #8, in July 1977.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Wisdom calculation is the best thing I've read all week. The Charisma one is the second best.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

That Wisdom calculation is the best thing I've read all week. The Charisma one is the second best.

The interesting gotcha there is that that's Brian Blume, who was running TSR while Gygax hosed around in Hollywood. Grogs decry the Blumes for not being real gamers and I guess that's proof since the guy only did an hour of D&D a week!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

According to that thing I have a Charisma of 0, but a Constitution of over 24.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Doodmons posted:

Yeah, Grave of the Fireflies is about two kids trying to survive in WW2 Japan, they get orphaned pretty quickly and it only goes downhill from there. Now and Then Here and There would be melancholy if parts of it weren't so incredibly dark.

Evil Mastermind posted:

That has to be a joke article, those methods for calculating scores all scream "hey neeeeeeerd" to me. Also my Constitution score is like 3, my Dex is negative (by how much I will not say), and my Charisma score is... 6 I think. Unless you count small press newspapers like alumni poo poo, then it's closer to 20.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Doodmons posted:

Grave of the Fireflies is a masterpiece but it and Come and See were the only movies that made me actually cry and feel queasy.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Evil Mastermind posted:

The strength calculation is even worse than the wisdom, as a well-maintained human can actually do well and easily bench press up to a 100kgs.
I mean, I can, and I´ve only recently upgraded from couch potato, and I should not have a strength value of 20. Not even close to it.
But I suppose, just like the thing about nerds and reality, not something you ever want.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mr.Misfit posted:

The strength calculation is even worse than the wisdom, as a well-maintained human can actually do well and easily bench press up to a 100kgs.
I mean, I can, and I´ve only recently upgraded from couch potato, and I should not have a strength value of 20. Not even close to it.
But I suppose, just like the thing about nerds and reality, not something you ever want.

Military press is a standing or sitting overhead press, not a reclining or flat back one. These are a decent bit harder. I'm having trouble finding records for he overhead press, but one site had it belong to Ken Patera at 535 lbs, and the bench record at 739 lbs without a bench shirt set by Kirill Sarychev.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2017

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

To be fair, that still puts a strength of 30-40 or so as achievable by a well trained human being.

e: yeah I see some records for 500 or so pounds for overhead, with some debate as to whether they were strict form or not

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

remusclaw posted:

Military press is a standing or sitting overhead press, not a reclining or flat back one. These are a decent bit harder. I'm having trouble finding records for he overhead press, but one site had it belong to Ken Patera at 535 lbs, and the bench record at 739 lbs without a bench shirt set by Kirill Sarychev.

Apparently the last olympic record for it was 520 lbs or so, but that was when they discontinued it for being too hard to judge what counted as a 'clean' overhead press, and advances in training and nutrition would certainly give higher numbers today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's obviously sarcastic. Blume even said it took "minutes of exhaustive research." The grogs are the guys who were pestering TSR for accuracy even back then.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Honestly it's not that unusual for RPGs to get what's achievable by humans really wrong in general; I'm reminded of the Steve Jackson Games writing guidelines which ask you to make sure you have a copy of Guinness Book of World Records on hand to reference what a normal person can or can't do. Of course, what's achievable by people with or without enhancement keeps growing and we'll probably continue to be surprised in the future.

Personally, I'm always bugged by Charisma stats - I'm not convinced that there's some nebulous "likability" that doesn't actually relate to one's social skills or appearance. It's fine enough as a summary of one's social skills in games that don't use skills, but if you have a Diplomacy or Persuasion skill, Charisma itself seems superfluous.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Honestly it's not that unusual for RPGs to get what's achievable by humans really wrong in general; I'm reminded of the Steve Jackson Games writing guidelines which ask you to make sure you have a copy of Guinness Book of World Records on hand to reference what a normal person can or can't do. Of course, what's achievable by people with or without enhancement keeps growing and we'll probably continue to be surprised in the future.

Personally, I'm always bugged by Charisma stats - I'm not convinced that there's some nebulous "likability" that doesn't actually relate to one's social skills or appearance. It's fine enough as a summary of one's social skills in games that don't use skills, but if you have a Diplomacy or Persuasion skill, Charisma itself seems superfluous.

Yes, it's kind of funny, in a game like D&D 3.X, they would have been better off having an Appearance score instead.

Of course, if I were going to do something stupid like realign the attributes in D&D, I'd probably have more attributes and some of them would get renamed. Or maybe fewer, I don't know, it would definitely be different because how it's been done for forever is dumb.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

It's obviously sarcastic. Blume even said it took "minutes of exhaustive research." The grogs are the guys who were pestering TSR for accuracy even back then.

That just reminds me of that Pathfinder dev who was using a mouse with the cord wrapped around his wrist to determine the difficulty of using a cord tied around your weapon's handle to re-equip it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

That just reminds me of that Pathfinder dev who was using a mouse with the cord wrapped around his wrist to determine the difficulty of using a cord tied around your weapon's handle to re-equip it.

That reminds me, did that actually make it into the errata or was he, for once, poking fun?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

That reminds me, did that actually make it into the errata or was he, for once, poking fun?

It made it into the FAQ, which is what Bulmahn (the guy in question) was referring to. Paizo takes errata in its strictest sense, to mean changes to physical books, therefore only producing it for the next printing of a book. This can make tracking online rulings about stuff a giant pain for their stuff. It did indeed make it into the errata for that book on its second printing last year.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I might be running a solo game (L5R) for someone soonish. I've never run a solo game, anyone have advice? I think it can work, but I'm not certain how I want to approach it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If you forget your Game Master's mask, it's gonna be real weird.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Solo games are intense. The interaction is constant, so on the one hand the narrative moves fast and tends to be quite rewarding, but on the other hand you have no time to sit back and think while the players discuss something amongst themselves, and fatigue will set in more quickly for both people. For all of these reasons, shorter sessions are advisable.

I can't vouch for it myself, but you might get some value out of Cthulhu Confidential. It's the flagship product for Gumshoe One-2-One, a system built expressly for one-player one-GM games that has been getting some good reviews from people with the pre-order PDF. The system is obviously different, but it's a Robin Laws book, which means it will have a lot of emphasis on how to run the game well, and I suspect a lot of those techniques will transfer over.

Edit: Also, prep more people and complex relationships than situations. Situations get resolved relatively quickly with only one player, but complex and problematic relationships lend themselves more easily to extensive improv.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 29, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
For a one on one game, preparing it sandbox style (West Marches, anything published by Kevin Crawford) might be your best option.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Legends of the 5 rings fans, here is a podcast where the continuity editor for L5R was interviewed.

He's the guy who would work out the narrative prizes for the living card game competitions. This is where the card game players influenced the meta narrative.

http://playbetter.libsyn.com/play-better-podcast-episode-142

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

that's pretty great. "If you waste all your time doing D&D, lower your wisdom score"

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

grassy gnoll posted:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Evil Mastermind posted:

also he sucked at it cause i can do that poo poo 10/10 times no problem

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

That is all I will be wearing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

If you want to watch a visually impressive war anime, Gundam Thunderbolt is great. It's a short miniseries, lots of jazz, and mostly about low level soldiers being stuck in a lovely war and how it's destroyed their lives. The ending is a bit of a let down but it's a good ride.

The barrier to entry is also low, it's mostly a visual story and not lore heavy, but it's pretty much the Das Boot of Gundam series.

I'll second this recommendation

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

FactsAreUseless posted:

That is all I will be wearing.
Look at this shameful GM not wearing a matching GMing cape.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

Look at this shameful GM not wearing a matching GMing cape.

Please tell me he's wearing his Gary Jackson approved HM codpiece. He doesn't want to lose his license right?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elfgames posted:

also he sucked at it cause i can do that poo poo 10/10 times no problem

Challenge him to a wrist mouse flip off for the ultimate say on this errata

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Like, the strength thing is a) a joke, and yet simultaniously b) how the actual D&D devs typically write their mechanics for doing physical deeds.

I'm reminded of in-dev 5e where the level 20 slayer of the gods who crushed the world beneath his sandals also had a like 50/50 chance at best to climb up a rope. Or 3e, where it was so obviously asinine and bonkers that people started to claim that "no see real life human beings who are good at things are level 6" and actually believed it. In fact, glancing over at 3e's strength table, it actually does follow that loving joke until significantly higher levels of strength!

Not that it's JUST D&D that suffers from this. Game designers in general horrifically underestimate what normal-rear end humans are physically capable of.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I distinctly remember at least one modern ruleset where a soldier couldn't move at full speed with a typical gear loadout (primary weapon, reloads, survival equipment, etc). Don't remember which one it was

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

I distinctly remember at least one modern ruleset where a soldier couldn't move at full speed with a typical gear loadout (primary weapon, reloads, survival equipment, etc). Don't remember which one it was

If the game's about soldiers being soldiers, then "full speed" should probably be as fast as you move when carrying/wearing all your soldier poo poo, but "if you're all weighed down with weapons and stuff, you don't move as fast as you do with no load" doesn't sound that bad.

e: Unless it's shittily implemented and/or at odds with the tone of the game, I guess.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I do remember that in Ghostbusters International a person with average strength (so 3/4 of the Ghostbusters) couldn't carry a proton pack, ghost trap, and PKE meter at that same time without falling over.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If it was that sort of thing, then yeah, that's total poo poo.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Challenge him to a wrist mouse flip off for the ultimate say on this errata

like i care about pathfinder errata beyond the point of laughing at it

Edit: just tried it with a safety knife and a cord made of earplugs did it perfectly about 20 times then i turned around and nearly fell over so i feel like i have a dex somewhere in the less than average range so an adventurer with actual stats should definitely be able to do it as a free action

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elfgames posted:

like i care about pathfinder errata beyond the point of laughing at it

Edit: just tried it with a safety knife and a cord made of earplugs did it perfectly about 20 times then i turned around and nearly fell over so i feel like i have a dex somewhere in the less than average range so an adventurer with actual stats should definitely be able to do it as a free action

Well fighters must adhere to realism and it's clearly not realistic because you don't see anyone on Game of Thrones tying swords to their wrists!

• Locked thread